Segragation in Soperton?

Segragation in Soperton?

Posted in the Dublin Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
ROBYN

Portland, ME

#1 Jan 25, 2006
I am moving my biracial family to this community this March. I would like to know what kind of community Soperton is????
Tim

Kingsburg, CA

#2 Jan 25, 2006
ROBYN wrote:
I am moving my biracial family to this community this March. I would like to know what kind of community Soperton is????
Robyn---Soperton is deep-south Georgia; you are correct to be cautious about your move with your children. I doubt you will be received with open arms unless there has been a huge change in community relations
Sherri Gillis Hailey - NC

Greensboro, NC

#3 Feb 2, 2006
I am a firm beliver that racism is taught and therefore an inheritant product of its environment. I was born and raised in Soperton. Sure there is racism, however I didn't realize what was what until I became an adult. Now I pray for those whose action where negative but I also give thanks because they made me a stronger person, in life and in Christ.
Soperton is a wonderful place to raise a family. The country life, peace and tranquility is top. Enjoy your move.

PS My kids love to spend the summer with my relatives..where else can a kid walk to the corner store or downtown without fear.
Cooper Brantley

Delgada, Portugal

#4 Nov 17, 2006
You probably won't have an issue with racsim, but why would you want to more there?? To find a decent job you would have to drive 20 miles or so to near-by Vidalia or Dublin. I left there when I was twenty and quite frankly didn't see that southern hopsitality. For one thing it is to small and everyone knows everyone elses business. Speaking of business, the ecomomy is pretty much as stagnant as it was when I left 21 years ago. There seems to be little inititive to attract outside business. I often jokingly call it Gilliston, not Soperton. That's because the Gillis' are for better or worse the seemly most notorious family in the county. You will often hear the Gillis this or Gillis that. Good luck
adrian

Kite, GA

#5 May 7, 2007
your right about Business being stagnant, Adrian Ga is the same way, but worse, all the buliding are run down and need repair, but the owners dont care what there community looks like. and about race you will find that no matter where you go. ga is a good place but dont move near soporton the ecomomy is very slow and the jobs are scares all the factorys are gone, and the wages are low. and they dont have good health insurance. move to Atlanta you will do better there.
Nancy

Tifton, GA

#6 Jun 1, 2007
ROBYN wrote:
I am moving my biracial family to this community this March. I would like to know what kind of community Soperton is????
As a resident of Soperton I feel like most of the comments that have been made are from uniformed sources. Most of you say that you left Soperton well heres the truth. We do have problems but it isnt between white and black its between the educated and the uneducated. Granted soperton doesnt have the most jobs in middle georgia we are more than ready to take in more residents. There is a job available you just may not like it. So before you go can say things about Soperton remember that if you dont live there anymore your opinion pretty much doesnt count.
Sopertonite

Alapaha, GA

#7 Jun 2, 2007
Tim wrote:
<quoted text>
Robyn---Soperton is deep-south Georgia; you are correct to be cautious about your move with your children. I doubt you will be received with open arms unless there has been a huge change in community relations
Tim, I don't know who you are, but I have lived in Soperton for the better part of my life. I have lived other places, but always have found Soperton the place you always come back to. No we don't have the Wal-Marts or Big Grocery Stores, but we also don't have the high crime rate, large drug problems or insecurities that go along with the big towns. As far as industry we have a new plant coming to Soperton that will help with that, and there are many, many jobs in Vidalia, Dublin and Swainsboro which are just a 15-25 minute drive. This gives you the advantage of living in a small town where the property prices are better than the ones mentioned above and still be within a decent commute time. No it isn't Atlanta, but who wants it to be?
Jay

San Diego, CA

#8 Jul 31, 2007
Iv lived in soperton all my life. I graduated in 2002 and we had segergated prom and home coming queen same school, if thats not racism then i dont know what is, what stands out to me is the fact that no one spoke out about.
METRI

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#9 Jul 31, 2007
ROBYN wrote:
I am moving my biracial family to this community this March. I would like to know what kind of community Soperton is????
IT GOOD I'M FROM MIAMI MY GRANDAD DIED AN LEFT MY MOM PROPERTY I
BEEN THERE SEVERAL TIMES I'M MOVING THERE THIS SEPTEMBER
Ruth

United States

#10 Aug 2, 2007
Hey, yall, I've been in Soperton for the better part of my 63 years and I love it here. I like the people, both black and white. Its not what color they are but what kind of people they are that matters to me and most everyone I know. I have a house in a very diverse neighborhood that I have rented to both black and white people.
G_R_I_T_S

Winder, GA

#11 Aug 12, 2007
Hello, I am from Soperton also..Although Soperton is the kind of place you can leave your car running while you hop in and out of the local flash foods and the kind of place you speak and wave at everyone in about two feet,there is a lot of segergation in soperton. As mention, proms are divided, which some people are trying to change that. Until recently we had to pick a white and black homecoming queen, I guess that was change do to the fact we are now getting other races in the community and we surly can not have 5-6 homecoming Queens.LAST BUT NOT LEAST, Soperton is section off by race. Where is it in Soperton is there a mix community? I would like to know so the next time I travel home I would like to visit the neighborhood that has finally reach this day in age.. All in all Soperton is a friendly town and just maybe, who knows, this is why?? what work for other town may not work for us.. As mention no one is getting hurt by it..(Just thinking out loud)
Keep it real

Houston, TX

#12 Aug 22, 2007
Soperton- its the Dirty South-It means WHITE PEOPLE-period.
Daniel

United States

#13 Aug 30, 2007
ROBYN wrote:
I am moving my biracial family to this community this March. I would like to know what kind of community Soperton is????
I can assure you that, despite the fact that some ignorant people may pose a problem (as in any other place)you're more apt to be just fine in this town in (MIDDLE) Georgia......There are larger cities near by that I might recommend considering , not having anything to do with the bi-racial thing, but because I feel your children's education might be attended to better in schools in say Dublin, Vidalia, or Swainsboro.......... They're less like to pose any problems. But, to ease your mind a little bit, there are probably more interracial partners/spouses with bi-racial children in this area of GA than I feel any of you realize... Probably more (on scale) than Portland.
Hope this eases your worries a little bit.
If you'd like to discuss this further ( I can really help, I think...) email me
[email protected]
thank you.
RHM

Oneida, TN

#14 Sep 10, 2007
I have lived 33 of my 34 in Soperton. It is a Gillis town and jobs maybe somewhat limited, but there are bi racial couples there. some of my classmates were some of the first there. I graduated in 1991 and have just this year moved. Everybody knows everybody. As of problems, just a few causes problems, everybody else tends to get along
Mark

Saint Louis, MO

#15 Sep 17, 2007
Robin, I grew up in a neighboring town 14 miles south of Soperton and it is exactly the same as Soperton. Regardless of what people are saying here to you, you will see and feel it for yourself when you get there. The prevailing attitudes about race as it relates to Blacks or Mulattos haven't changed. Overt racism isn't as prevalent as it was 30 years ago, but if you "step out of your place" you will receive a wake up call. As long as you stay in your place, you will be fine.

This is what those who have said everybody gets along mean. White people throughout Georgia voted in a Republican Governor for the purpose of him restoring the Confederate Flag as the Georgia State Flag which is to them, a symbol of White Southern Pride and Heritage; however, they want to forget that their Heritage consist of the Dehuminazation of a people. This aspect of their Heritage they want to forget, so when you move to Soperton, make sure you understand the History and "stay in your place".
Adrin

Kite, GA

#16 Oct 1, 2007
it a good place to live, but there is no work, like in Adrian, all the building are in bad shape, now there gone to put boards on the windows instead of fixin the building, they dont want to make money for the town.
By putting board on the building will only make the town look twice as bad and sore spot to boot, when will we make this town better, not just for us, but for the next genaration that is behind us, what will we say to them when we leave a town in this condition for for them, we are telling them that they are not good enough to have a nice place to live, instead of countsulman making improvements, they decline and make things worse for them, and yes for us, the secatary is in charge of the meeting instead of the Mayor, and she does'nt even live in the county, and she is the one that is in control. NOT the Board members, she is.
Megan

Dudley, GA

#17 Oct 1, 2007
Just beware of Vidalia!
Hwy 29

Oneida, TN

#18 Oct 2, 2007
Megan wrote:
Just beware of Vidalia!
What the onion city or little mexico lyons
Megan

Dudley, GA

#19 Oct 3, 2007
Definately, the onion city! I've heard people say that Vidalia is a small racist town.....and my suspicions were confirmed!
RHM

Oneida, TN

#20 Oct 3, 2007
they do not call it Bloody Toombs for nothing

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dublin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Robyn jones (Jul '14) Jul 27 hoorah 7
Sheriff Jul 26 bethisfat 1
Wilcox Fattys Jul 26 ilovefatgirls 6
flinchum family (Jan '15) Jul 21 how bout that 3
Hey Dude.....your wife is shaggin someone else. (Aug '11) Jul 20 Lover not a fighter 4
Chubby girls Jul 20 Lover not a fighter 2
Dianne Britt Jul 20 Lover not a fighter 4

Dublin Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dublin Mortgages