Dublin charter school plan denied by ...

Dublin charter school plan denied by school board

There are 4 comments on the Contra Costa Times story from Oct 6, 2011, titled Dublin charter school plan denied by school board. In it, Contra Costa Times reports that:

Rejected by the Dublin school board, organizers of a proposed charter high school say they had expected a denial of their petition and will appeal the decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Contra Costa Times.

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Since: Apr 08

Plum, Purplonia

#1 Oct 10, 2011
In other words, they won't allow disruptive, low-performing students to attend.

If it unfairly targets minorities, then maybe the minorities need to improve their culture, stay out of trouble, not breed as much, spend more time with their children, and cut non-essential things out of their lives. You don't need the latest Nike's, hairdos/weaves, nails, and grillz when you cannot even feed and clothe your own kids. Life is about sacrifice, and it is important for everyone to not try to live beyond their own means. You can prepare the next generation to do better than you if you are willing to make the right sacrifices, and avail yourself of the opportunities to better yourself and your family and inspire them to do better. We all have the same chances, it is just that some are taught a victim attitude and an entitlement mentality from an early age, and an attitude of blame and violence that cuts them off from opportunities to get ahead.

I hate to say this, but it is a dog eat dog world, and you do have to look out for number one a bit. Not to the exclusion of helping others, but not letting those who have a losing attitude and cannot be helped pull you down. Lose the attitude that you have to save everyone else before you can get ahead. Lose the notion that anyone can be a racial sellout. There is only one race, and that is the human race. You either work to get ahead, better yourself, and make the world a better place, or you don't. Color has nothing to do with it.
Nicole

Livermore, CA

#2 Oct 10, 2011
I agree but I think they're using it as an excuse to deny the school. It's hard to go against saying it's discriminatory when they can just say you're racist for not agreeing.
I hear teacher's unions and school boards generally try to bar charter schools because they take the higher performing kids, teach them better without unionized teachers, and the public school scores go through the floor. I'm not completely sure how true that is but it sounds logical.

"Opponents fear it would drain resources. Charter schools are public and, like school districts, receive money from the state based on enrollment." I think this also speaks numbers. If the public schools were good enough then they wouldn't have to worry about people taking their business elsewhere. If they can teach better than our schools, then we should be happy to use them to improve our failing education system instead of throwing bond measures to build a brand new library with no books and a billion apple computers. Granada, I'm talking about you. Or what about Las Positas who just built a multimillion theater that they didn't need while the math and science department struggle?

We talk about supporting education but the only thing we do to help it is throw money at the schools which in my experience doesn't do anything at all. The number one thing that improves education are the teachers and if the charter school has better teachers then I hope they give this school permission and that it succeeds with flying colors.
DojoRat

Livermore, CA

#3 Oct 10, 2011
The rest of the public school sector are scared to death of charter schools for one simple reason, they're run without the burocracy(sp?) of traditional schools. They're run more like a business, with the schools making appropriate cuts here and additions there to make it work. The people in the traditional method know that if all schools went that route, a lot of them would be without jobs.

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Since: Apr 08

Plum, Purplonia

#4 Oct 10, 2011
DojoRat wrote:
The rest of the public school sector are scared to death of charter schools for one simple reason, they're run without the burocracy(sp?) of traditional schools. They're run more like a business, with the schools making appropriate cuts here and additions there to make it work. The people in the traditional method know that if all schools went that route, a lot of them would be without jobs.
You said it. If you get rid of the DOE and the NEA, things would be closer to the right direction. That might raise state taxes, but it should mean less federal taxes. That is what we need, for education to be in state and/or local control, and for parents to have a greater say. Leave a safety net for parents who abdicate, but don't get in the way of the ones who care.

I agree on what would happen. That is why the NEA opposes merit-based hiring for teachers. They know quite a few would be out of work. I know of a number examples, and that came from my experience as a student. I had teachers who did't know one end of a pair of scissors from the other, teachers who didn't know left from right, anti-white racist teachers of color, teachers who had no mercy on the handicapped, etc. I saw a special-ed teacher's website online, I think it was called "The Tard Blog." Yes, her site used a slur against special-ed kids in the title, and she seemed to get off describing her students' misbehavior. They didn't know better, but she should have.

That is not to say that all of what is wrong is on teachers. Plenty of parents are non-cooperative, non-concerned, etc. The abdicate their responsibilities to the government, then complain about what they get, and they don't demand better from themselves, their children the teachers, or the government.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dublin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last Post Wins (Dec '11) 22 hr Princess Hey 4,876
Reviving Stivers Academy? (May '11) Nov 16 Celeste 60
News California dominates in new list of best cities... Nov 15 A Friend Called Vibe 3
Music Thread (Oct '12) Nov 11 texas pete 127
Livermore Music Thread (May '13) Nov 11 texas pete 60
Facebook: Livermore Rants and Raves. come join (Jan '16) Nov 10 Laura S 23
News Justices strike down Contra Costa family court ... (Aug '07) Nov 10 TrellTrell 82

Dublin Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dublin Mortgages