Review: PlyGem Windows
Joe

Bay City, MI

#21 Jan 6, 2011
No construction company should be expected to install glass at no charge. Normally Window Co. will have a one year to five year labor warranty. Some are actually going to no labor warranty at all. Times are tight and all manufactures are tightening belts.
Chris E

Irvine, CA

#22 Jan 11, 2011
Say, it seems to me there might be a bit of confusion here. There appears to be two PlyGems. One in Carolina the other in California. The Carolina one is Ply-Gem and the Ca on is PlyGem. Two different websites too. Or am I mistaken. The CA one claims to have a small factory in California that only sells locally.
Kevin

Sterling, PA

#23 Jan 25, 2011
Christy wrote:
So it sounds like PlyGem windows isnt a good window.Does nayone one know good window comapny??
Check out Eagle Windows. They are part of the Andersen line of windows.
Jim

Newark, CA

#24 Jan 25, 2011
Theresa wrote:
We purchased PlyGem Uniframe windows. We are very unhappy with the product. The screens do not fit securely, so moths and the like can easily enter. The windows also are designed poorly such that they leak inside the house. We have contacted the PlyGem representative for the area.(Colorado) He came to check out the situation - then did nothing to help us. We have tried to contact him several times and no response.
PlyGem sells their windows under different names. They also sell to various customized resellers (and the window names are different by reseller)- in Colorado the reseller is Gravina's. Gravina's will not support you as a customer either. Never consider buying from Gravina's.
Don't by the PlyGem family of windows.
Regarding the screens did you get half screens or full screens? Half screens are a great option, however, they will fit a bit loose and will not completely blocked, If you got half-screens, try and get them to give you full screens instead and this should solve your problem
Mid Atlantic Builder

Hagerstown, MD

#25 Feb 15, 2011
Christy wrote:
So it sounds like PlyGem windows isnt a good window.Does nayone one know good window comapny??
After using PlyGem for several years, I've recently begun using Silverline Windows, an Andersen Window product. So far, I've been very pleased with their performance, and they cost only slightly more than PlyGem. As an aside, virtually every window I have had fail can be attributed to handling, either during delivery or at the time of installation.
Ron

United States

#27 Mar 12, 2011
If your looking at Ply Gem go for the Premium or Pro 100 series. Make sure you upgrade to lowe366 and argon. The other lines are made for builders and apartments.
Ron

United States

#28 Mar 12, 2011
Chris E wrote:
Say, it seems to me there might be a bit of confusion here. There appears to be two PlyGems. One in Carolina the other in California. The Carolina one is Ply-Gem and the Ca on is PlyGem. Two different websites too. Or am I mistaken. The CA one claims to have a small factory in California that only sells locally.
The one in Californis is Ply Gem windows which bought Certainteed windows. They are nationwide with other plants in other states not just locally.

Their website is www.plygemwindows.com
Keith Osseo MN

Arlington, VA

#29 May 24, 2011
How much was the labor to replace the glass. I am faced with this same issue.
Keith wrote:
I had Ply Gem windows installed in my house in 2001 and twice in the last nine years I've had to replace several windows where the seal has broken. The warrenty covers the replacement glass, but the the labor to replace it. I'm not happy with this product.
Delia

Arlington, VA

#30 May 24, 2011
How much was the labor to replace the glass? I am faced with the same issue. Thanks
Oregon Coast

Eugene, OR

#31 Jun 4, 2011
Just getting a bid on Ply Gem windows to replace my old metal frame windows. We asked for a copy of warranty from company doing the bidding. We live just under a mile from the coast and the warranty does not cover any hardware after one year and then only if hardware is covered with marine grease regularly if installation is less than 2 miles from the coast. Also, screens aren't covered after just 6 months. There is NO mention of any glass coverage that I can find other than damage by foreign objects is expressly not covered.

We are still shopping.
Howard

Overland Park, KS

#32 Jul 13, 2011
Ply Gem warranty seems to be on a lower level then other companies like Simonton and Milgard. That's probably why the windows cost less then those brands.
Caren

Santa Clara, CA

#34 Jul 24, 2011
I am considering replacement windows through Plygem and have been quoted a contractor series. For an additional fee I can upgrade to a Pro series. Any input on whether that would be a good investment. Also they say they install it into my existing frames with no problems on leakage. Am interested if anyone has had this type of installation and if it looks OK and functions w/o problems. CF
Caren

Santa Clara, CA

#35 Jul 25, 2011
I am considering window replacement by PlyGem. They say they will install within my existing metal framework so the articulation does not include replacing window trim, etc. How does this technology work with regards to what it looks like and whether it ever is susceptible to leakage. I am in California. Also there is an upgrade option. Does anyone know if it is worth it to upgrade to their pro series over the contractor series. I have several slider door units. Are those of sufficient quality to warrant going with this company?
matt

Mooresville, NC

#36 Jul 30, 2011
To solve some confusion there are some companies that have good labor warranties. Milgard and Empire Pacific have lifetime labor and Betterbilt by MI have 20 year labor warranty. MI and Jeld Wen offer glass breakage warranty at an extra cost.
Alicia

United States

#37 Aug 1, 2011
Caren wrote:
I am considering replacement windows through Plygem and have been quoted a contractor series. For an additional fee I can upgrade to a Pro series. Any input on whether that would be a good investment. Also they say they install it into my existing frames with no problems on leakage. Am interested if anyone has had this type of installation and if it looks OK and functions w/o problems. CF
Caren, Replacing over the exisitng frame is called retro-fitting and it is a good option if you do wnat the extra costs, labor and construction associated iwth doing a "new constrcion" replacement, which would involve breaking out stucco or cutting back siding and drywall on interior to expose existing wood framed openings. Most homeowners in So. Cal opt for the retro-fitting as it is less expensive and typically a 1-2 day install (dependent on # of windows). Most critical part of a retro-fit job is that the Contractor knows what they are doing. Pulling frames is a no no. This is where you will get leaks.(in order to pull frames w/o breaking stucco, it will usually rip the moisture barrier that prevents water from coming in on your exisitng windows) Ripped flashing and new windows installed over that will usually result in leaks. We have had to go in and help Homeowners and do anew constructyion install because the retro-fit job was not done correctly the first time around. I would reccomend checking some references of the Contractor you are thinking of working with and better if they only do windows (ie: specialized contractor).

If looking at PlyGem, the Contractor series is a decent window, but their least expensive, very basic. Great for rentals, apartments and mobile home applications. If it is for your own home and you intend to stay there for a while, I would recommend the Pro series, Pro 100's if they offer them. This is the former CertainTeed,Somerton II series. We have been selling and installing them for over 12 years. Even sightline, clean profile and a really nice window for the money. Perfect vinyl window for California climate. Very few issues as far as warranty cliams as well. As mentioned earlier the most common problem is seal failure in the double pane glass (moisture between the glass). No matter what brand you buy, this can happen. PlyGem West does give a Lifetime warranty against seal failure. We also offer a Lifetime warranty on our installations. If you can find a Co. that does this, it is a good sign. We can offer this because we are so confident in our methods that we have have very few go backs. Sorry this sort of long winded. Hope I have helped. Good luck with your windows purchase.
Kathy

Pilot Grove, MO

#38 Aug 5, 2011
Purchased PlyGem windows - builder grade with upgrade options - foam sealer/double pane. My originally installed builder grade windows had condensation in the winter on the sill and it froze during the winter as well. The PlyGem does not have that issue. My windows are 98% on the North side and I am not pleased as much as I had hoped. There is no longer condensation on the sill and no ice inside either. However, I had to purchase thermal shades to cover the windows down to the sill to keep out the cold. I had hoped for better with the costs of the window.
When I checked with the wholesaler (hired a contractor to purchase the windows for me), the wholesaler was very cavalier about the issues and asked me to get with my contractor. Customer service after the sale is not there by the wholesaler. Disappointing. Perhaps I should have purchased the triple pane but next time I should need new windows for my existing home or another home, I will not buy this brand with the lack of customer service after the sale that I experienced.
Jean

Mount Juliet, TN

#39 Aug 9, 2011
Caren wrote:
I just had 3 contractor series windows installed in my home yesterday. I am VERY unhappy with the window. It looks like it was put together by a 1st grader using superglue! I immediately canceled the order for the remainder of windows. I will be looking elsewhere for a better quality window.
Brown

Baltimore, MD

#40 Aug 11, 2011
What about Plygem Premium aluminum clad Series Low E windows? What about the quality vs Anderson vs Pella? Which is better Aluminum vs. vinyl?
Alicia

United States

#41 Aug 11, 2011
Jean wrote:
<quoted text>
I just had 3 contractor series windows installed in my home yesterday. I am VERY unhappy with the window. It looks like it was put together by a 1st grader using superglue! I immediately canceled the order for the remainder of windows. I will be looking elsewhere for a better quality window.
Again as I stated above for Caren, the Contractor series is what we would consider a "rental" or "apartment" grade window. Great for someone looking to upgrade the energy efficiency, but really save on costs. The old addage "you get what you pay for" is still true in this case. It is just a basic,inexpensive window. We rarely sell the Contractor series to homeowners for their own homes, especially if they intend to remain in the home for some period. The PRO series, or if they are looking for a top line vinyl window, the Premium series is most homeowner's main choice and not that much more expensive that the Contractor series. Not sure if your Contractor/ Salepeerson recommended that brand or if it had to do with price, but it is definitely good if howmowner's do some research and explore their options.
Another point to consider based a previous post, is that although you may be purchasing the brand PlyGem, it may not be the same window as elsewhere in the country. For instance, some of the PlyGem series of windows sold in California are not going to be identical to those sold in Kansas, the South, or even back east. This is due to PlyGem's purchase and merger of several window manufacturer's back in 2008/2009 (CertainTeed/ MW Windows/ Jefferson Windows. So when reading reviews, it best to try look at local comments. That will give you a truer picture of the product you are considering purchasing.
ANDY

Orlando, FL

#42 Aug 22, 2011
having a new house built and the builder wants to
install ply gem windows; they are supposed to be high impact(live in fl); I saw on a tag they are "builders series 4712". Are these any good?
he was going to install Better Bilt alum windows before he made the switch. I have not read alot of good comments for builder series but I am not sure about this particular type. they will be aluminum not vinyl

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Duarte Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Qatar airways booking service contact_070697242... 15 hr Mr Bright 1
Arik airline online ticketing contact_070697242... 15 hr Mr Bright 1
News Man stabbed by gang members (Feb '09) Feb '17 Sartar Tarot 184
Review: Value Windows and Doors - Aug. 2013 (Up... (Aug '13) Nov '16 Contractor 7
Bears near 2nd Street Oct '16 Sherriebo 1
News City of Azusa to Lease 145 Parking Spaces to Me... (Jul '16) Jul '16 Joseph Santacruz 1
News The Latest: Most fire evacuations lifted near S... (Jun '16) Jun '16 katybirdhudson 1

Duarte Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Duarte Mortgages