Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,302

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
Really

Piqua, OH

#24069 Apr 10, 2013
poundsand wrote:
<quoted text>
Your response is just lame and reeks of a personal vendetta. Just Watching has brought up quite a number of valid points and the only issue you can discuss is how Petroni decides to educate his children?
I personally don't care where he sends his kids or how they are educated. The fact is, Petroni should be praised for volunteering to do a job that most of us would never choose to do.
How exactly is Petroni volunteering his time??? Every board member gets paid for each meeting they attend and since they have created so many extra committees they get even more money than before. How much did they get paid last year? How many meetings did they attend? Since we are such a transparent district let's show the total paid to the board?
walk a mile

Springboro, OH

#24071 Apr 10, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
219, did you survey the crowd to find out how many work 3 or 4 hours every night on school work?
These don't include the supplemental contracts do they, because they are getting paid to take on those responsibilities. And from what I have seen the amount of time some put in coaching for the amount they are reimbursed is nominal. Then again, a small percentage may be doing the coaching for the money, but vast majority perform the task for the sheer enjoyment of the job.
All jobs have drawbacks as well a positives, if you find the pay, hours, working conditions, clients, or benefits not to your standard or liking, pursue other options. There are a host of them out there, go find one that is right for you.
I would suspect that a newer teacher may have to do more planning than one who has been at this for 15-20 years. All are different and blanket statements seldom apply to everyone.
Supplemental contracts? Boy, you pull out all the stops to cling to your point, dont you. I actually surveyed 215 of the 219.....

And "you would suspect that a newer teacher?"....there ya go. You would suspect, which can also mean "assume" or "guess". Again, walk a mile in someone's shoes.......

But I do appreciate your last comments about blanket statements. Many on this blog and in this community just paint a broad brush to label many, when things may only apply to a limited few....
Let Freedom Ring

Piqua, OH

#24072 Apr 10, 2013
Lurker wrote:
<quoted text>
No, we have a board member who is changing everything about our schools but doesn't have any skin in the game. His decisions strongly affect my children but his kids aren't even in the schools he holds sway over!
As Springboro parents and voters in this school district, we strongly disagree with your invalid criticism of this board member who... doesn't have any skin in the game?

Do you mean ...doesn't present children to the union teacher with a "dollar sign value" per head count enrolled in our public schools?

Isn't the "dollar" that you feel like you are "missing out on" the real concern here; and isn't the MONEY that the public schools aren't getting from "additional head count" your real complaint?
It really has nothing to do with the amazingly awesome leadership skills and financial expertise of the board member?
Who are you lurking around this blog, complaining about a parents rights in a free society to exercise parental rights to choose the education for their children that they, as parents, know is best for their child's needs and highest potential? What kind of mean-spirited person would think that our children are the "property rights" of the public schools, and that union teachers are the most important ones?

Well lurker, since it apprears that you feel that one should have children enrolled in local schools, before having input in decisions while investing their financial expertise in public service; would you then agree that only those with children enrolled in local schools should "invest" financially in local schools?

If local citizens are Taxed by our local school government; but not accepted as capable public servants in local government
(because of having no children enrolled in that local school).....would not that be "taxation with representation?"

God Bless America's Families...Let Freedom of School Choice Rule...!
walk a mile

Springboro, OH

#24073 Apr 10, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Miller doesn't have any children in the district any longer, does he?
Would the same level of vituperation and the same argument apply to him as well?
No, actually it wouldn't. Mr Miller had kids and they did go through the school district.

Mr Petroni has school-aged kids and chooses not to send his kids to an orgnizations he is 1 of 5 people that is in charge of.

Let's look at it this way...ever seen that Coke Zero commercial where the one guy is in his cubicle at the Coke Zero office and he is caught sneaking a sip of Pepsi? What if Mr Petroni was the CEP of Coke and he was going around town drinking Pepsi? Same thing as being a board member and choosing not to send your kids to that school.
Let Freedom Ring

Piqua, OH

#24074 Apr 10, 2013
Ultimately it has been America's political leadership that has underminded the values of our great nation, as politicians are more and more than willing to promise that government can solve all our problems.

When the government took responsibility for schools, some parents lost control of their children's education.

When the government took responsbility for the poor, voluntary charity from churches and community groups declined.

When government took responsibility for retirement security, many Americans quit saving.

When government and employers took responsibility for health insurance, individuals became dependent on others for their health care.

Now the traditional values of personal responsibility, hard work, frugality and saving, independence, family, and faith give way to government promises of more security, more income, more health care, more education... more!more! more!

Today, too many Americans look to the federal government to solve all problems for all people; and today, too many Americans have become gullible clients of politicians..... promising to solve every need.

Really

Piqua, OH

#24075 Apr 10, 2013
Do You Understand wrote:
So exactly why are the anti-children first; pro-levy supporters so strongly oppossing our school district's board leadership? As stated in an earlier post on this blog, before Kelly Kohls got on this school board our district projected a $30 million deficit. Now, we project a $5 million surplus after replacing many things taken from the children during the levy campaigns. We have now added many curriculum and safety measures for the children of our district. All of this without new money. What changed? Our new BOE majority have become much more efficient, holding people accountable, and making all decisions using what is good for education and our children as first priority.
Now, WHY would anyone oppose the board's decisions doing what is good for education and our children first?
Could it be .....There are embedded organized units that desperately need to prove that our reform-minded board members are wrong, and that more money is imperative, because they see a collapse of THEIR status quo system, IF it is proven that it is not all "about the
money" after all. IF the easy flow of new levy money stops, then this organized OPPOSITION is no longer necessary, and no longer maintains control of education and more importantly, THE MONEY.
Do you understand?
Really???? So the fact that the teachers willingly sacrificed five years of raises and three years of step increases has nothing to do with the district having more money??? The BOE has done everything they can to be financially responsible but on the backs of who - the teachers and students! Of course they are going to show more money on the books, their solution, remove all higher paid teachers and keep all other salaries the same - for an indefinite period of time. Oh and if healthcare should go up - teachers should pay for that too, reducing their salaries even more.

As for the children first philosophy: How is wanting to remove educational after school clubs (Club Med, JCOWA, Mentor, etc.) good for the students? How is giving incentives for good teachers to retire early good for the students? How is having a complete turnover of the administrative staff good for the students? Ask a student if they feel like the board is behind them 100%(not that anyone on this site really cares about the kids).

And as for the test scores, just curious, if Springboro is doing such a bad job lately, how come the ACT scores have gone up in every subject and the number of students taking the test has gone up almost 20% since 2007?
Hooray for Us

Piqua, OH

#24076 Apr 10, 2013
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
How exactly is Petroni volunteering his time??? Every board member gets paid for each meeting they attend and since they have created so many extra committees they get even more money than before. How much did they get paid last year? How many meetings did they attend? Since we are such a transparent district let's show the total paid to the board?
Whatever Mr. Petroni was paid last year was certainly not enough to express our deep appreciation and gratitude!
Mr. Petroni's financial expertise and leadership as an elected
official... doing what's right for our school children and community is simply....PRICELESS!
As for our household of voters, we love David and his wonderful family, and think the Petroni family is one of Springboro's finest!
poundsand

Miamisburg, OH

#24077 Apr 10, 2013
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you kidding? Get a clue. They sure as heck don't work on the board for the pay.

Please inform us, the great unwashed, what this board has done that is so horrible for our children?

Held people accountable for doing the jobs they are paid to perform?

Investing in a technology program that addresses the future and provides tangible results for the money spent?

Spent more on text books for our children?

Discovered the ruse that was 'no high school busing' and 'pay to participate' and reduced its costs by 30% and then gave the families that chose to participate another venue by which they could reduce it by another $100?

Hired a new Superintendent that is on the ball?

Hired a new Curriculum Director who is top notch?

Hired an actual Human Resources person who knows what she is doing?

Turned the cameras back on so the community could see what is going on and make up their own minds?

Pushed through a transparency program that now exists on our school website so everyone in the community can see what they see?

Etc, etc, etc...

Now which of those tasks do you wish to see undone?
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24078 Apr 10, 2013
walk a mile wrote:
<quoted text>
No, actually it wouldn't. Mr Miller had kids and they did go through the school district.
Mr Petroni has school-aged kids and chooses not to send his kids to an orgnizations he is 1 of 5 people that is in charge of.
Let's look at it this way...ever seen that Coke Zero commercial where the one guy is in his cubicle at the Coke Zero office and he is caught sneaking a sip of Pepsi? What if Mr Petroni was the CEP of Coke and he was going around town drinking Pepsi? Same thing as being a board member and choosing not to send your kids to that school.
But you just said Mr. Miller doesn't have any children in the school district now and he is one of five in charge as well.

Thank the good Lord we live in America where for the time being we have choices.

By your logic anyone who sent their child to a parochial school, a charter school, or the career center would have no input into our entire community's school district.

Those same taxpayers who fund our system would be left out of representation because the exercised their free choices. That is what you are advocating?

How about people who through no fault of their own were unable to conceive, would they also be precluded from serving the community?

How about anyone who moved here after their children graduated from high school and wished to serve?

Your argument is as specious as your charges.

Why do you fail to notice the 2000 plus children in this district that we as a school system are failing to provide a real education?

2000+ children and not a word of concern for them or their parents.

That speaks volumes.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24079 Apr 10, 2013
walk a mile wrote:
<quoted text>
Supplemental contracts? Boy, you pull out all the stops to cling to your point, dont you. I actually surveyed 215 of the 219.....
And "you would suspect that a newer teacher?"....there ya go. You would suspect, which can also mean "assume" or "guess". Again, walk a mile in someone's shoes.......
But I do appreciate your last comments about blanket statements. Many on this blog and in this community just paint a broad brush to label many, when things may only apply to a limited few....
Take a look at these numbers and tell me why 2000 plus of our kids are not getting the education the taxpayers of this community are funding.

I again would suspect you did not survey a soul or document your methodology. I would also suspect you are making much of this up, including the feigned outrage that anyone would challenge you with facts. I don't doubt some do work as you describe, but hardly 2/3.

http://www.oagc.com/files/OAGC_Grading_On_A_C ...
6th grade 2011 OAA Test Cut Scores and Scoring Bands
(This represents Springboro Class of ’17)
READING
Advanced......76%-100%
Accelerated....61%-75%
Proficient........35%-60%
If a student was able to answer 17 out of 49 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in READING.
In 6th grade READING, Springboro had 172 students out of 502 students (34%) fall in the Proficient or below category
______
MATH
Advanced......68%-100%
Accelerated...58%-67%
Proficient.......40%-57%
If a student was able to answer 20 out of 50 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in MATH.
In 6th grade MATH, Springboro had 127 students our of 502 students ( 25%) falling the Proficient or below category
Advanced 81%-100%
Accelerated 66%-80%
Proficient 45%-65%(45%=Proficient)
In 7th grade READING, Springboro had 172 students out of 413 students (42%) fall in the Proficient or below category
_____
MATH
Advanced 72%-100%
Accelerated 58%-71%
Proficient 32%-57%(32%=Proficient)
In 7th grade MATH, Springboro had 140 students out of 413 students (34%) fall in the Proficient or below categories.
8th grade 2011 OAA Test Cut Scores and Scoring Bands
(Springboro Class of ’15)
READING
Advanced......83%-100%
Accelerated....71%-82%
Proficient........48%-70%
If a student was able to answer 23 out of 48 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in READING.
In 8th grade READING, Springboro had 136 students out of 443 students (31%) fall in the Proficient or below category.
MATH
Advanced.......78%-100%
Accelerated....61%-77%
If a student was able to answer 16 out of 46 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in MATH.
In 8th grade MATH, Springboro had 203 students out of 443 students (46%) fall the Proficient or below category.
Accelerated.....63.5%-78%
Proficient.........40.6%-63.4%
If a student was able to answer 19.5 out of 48 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in READING.
Of the 380 Springboro sophomores who took the READING portion of the Ohio Graduation Test, 88 students (23%) fell in the Proficient or below category. This test is taken in the spring of their sophomore year and measures what they have learned in grades 1-9.
MATH
Advanced.......75%-100%
Accelerated....61%-74%
Proficient........42%-60%
If a student was able to answer 19.5 out of 46 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in MATH.
Of the 380 Springboro sophomores who took the MATH portion of the Ohio Graduation Test, 40 students (10%) fell in the Proficient or below category. This test is taken in the spring of their sophomore year and measures what they have learned in grades 1-9.
They further REDUCED the number of questions correct that you needed to reach the various achievement levels down a question from the 2011 already low levels.
walk a mile

Springboro, OH

#24080 Apr 10, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
But you just said Mr. Miller doesn't have any children in the school district now and he is one of five in charge as well.
Thank the good Lord we live in America where for the time being we have choices.
By your logic anyone who sent their child to a parochial school, a charter school, or the career center would have no input into our entire community's school district.
Those same taxpayers who fund our system would be left out of representation because the exercised their free choices. That is what you are advocating?
How about people who through no fault of their own were unable to conceive, would they also be precluded from serving the community?
How about anyone who moved here after their children graduated from high school and wished to serve?
Your argument is as specious as your charges.
Why do you fail to notice the 2000 plus children in this district that we as a school system are failing to provide a real education?
2000+ children and not a word of concern for them or their parents.
That speaks volumes.
Always the "what if" arguments.......your what if arguments do not fit the REALITY of the situation. Mr Petroni currently has school aged kids and he chooses to not send them to the orgnization that he is in charge of.

And you are correct - someone that chooses, or chose to send their kids to a parochial school should not have a say in the community schools - from an elected Board perspective. And I say that having gone to parochial schools all my life. I would not feel it would be right to run for school board because I never had any direct dealing with the schools or had any prior expertise. Can I get up in Board meetings and voice my opinion. You bet. Can I vote for school issues - you bet. Again, the example of a CEO who is the head of a company that chooses to NOT use the products of the company that he/she heads? I am trying to put it in a business perspective for you - I think you are big on thinking the schools are a business, right?

And I always find it facinating that people love to provide stats and examples on how things are wrong with everything, but no one ever offers solutions on how to fix things. So, how would you solve the problem of the 2000+ kids you claim are being left behind? Its funny you site state statistics for everything, yet that is the same state educational system and standards that you would like to abolish or change, isn't it?
walk a mile

Springboro, OH

#24081 Apr 10, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
Take a look at these numbers and tell me why 2000 plus of our kids are not getting the education the taxpayers of this community are funding.
I again would suspect you did not survey a soul or document your methodology. I would also suspect you are making much of this up, including the feigned outrage that anyone would challenge you with facts. I don't doubt some do work as you describe, but hardly 2/3.
http://www.oagc.com/files/OAGC_Grading_On_A_C ...
6th grade 2011 OAA Test Cut Scores and Scoring Bands
(This represents Springboro Class of ’17)
READING
Advanced......76%-100%
Accelerated....61%-75%
If a student was able to answer 17 out of 49 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in READING.
In 6th grade READING, Springboro had 172 students out of 502 students (34%) fall in the Proficient or below category
______
MATH
Advanced......68%-100%
Accelerated...58%-67%
Proficient.......40%-57%
If a student was able to answer 20 out of 50 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in MATH.
In 6th grade MATH, Springboro had 127 students our of 502 students ( 25%) falling the Proficient or below category
Advanced 81%-100%
Accelerated 66%-80%
Proficient 45%-65%(45%=Proficient)
In 7th grade READING, Springboro had 172 students out of 413 students (42%) fall in the Proficient or below category
_____
MATH
Advanced 72%-100%
Accelerated 58%-71%
Proficient 32%-57%(32%=Proficient)
In 7th grade MATH, Springboro had 140 students out of 413 students (34%) fall in the Proficient or below categories.
8th grade 2011 OAA Test Cut Scores and Scoring Bands
(Springboro Class of ’15)
READING
Advanced......83%-100%
Accelerated....71%-82%
Proficient........48%-70%
If a student was able to answer 23 out of 48 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in READING.
In 8th grade READING, Springboro had 136 students out of 443 students (31%) fall in the Proficient or below category.
MATH
Advanced.......78%-100%
Accelerated....61%-77%
If a student was able to answer 16 out of 46 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in MATH.
In 8th grade MATH, Springboro had 203 students out of 443 students (46%) fall the Proficient or below category.
Accelerated.....63.5%-78%
Proficient.........40.6%-63.4%
If a student was able to answer 19.5 out of 48 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in READING.
Of the 380 Springboro sophomores who took the READING portion of the Ohio Graduation Test, 88 students (23%) fell in the Proficient or below category. This test is taken in the spring of their sophomore year and measures what they have learned in grades 1-9.
MATH
Advanced.......75%-100%
Accelerated....61%-74%
Proficient........42%-60%
If a student was able to answer 19.5 out of 46 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in MATH.
Of the 380 Springboro sophomores who took the MATH portion of the Ohio Graduation Test, 40 students (10%) fell in the Proficient or below category. This test is taken in the spring of their sophomore year and measures what they have learned in grades 1-9.
They further REDUCED the number of questions correct that you needed to reach the various achievement levels down a question from the 2011 already low levels.
And of course I was making up the "surveyed 215 of the 219". It was a joke. Have a little levity in your life, it goes a long way...

"And I don't doubt some do work as you describe, but I doubt it is 2/3" And you can back that up??? Walk a mile in someone's shoes....hate to be quoting scripture, but boy is it appropriate.
Proficient w Distinction

Piqua, OH

#24082 Apr 10, 2013
This discussion goes far beyond the walls of Springboro schools. This discussion is about the gradual, yet systematic lowering of the bar of academic expectations for ALL of Ohio's public school students - all in the name of each and every district's respective struggle to get the top State rating.

http://stateimpact.npr.org/ohio/2012/10/17/oh ...

The next batch of posters sent Boro and other top ranked districts ought to read.... "Proficient with Distinction"
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24083 Apr 10, 2013
walk a mile wrote:
<quoted text>
And you are correct - someone that chooses, or chose to send their kids to a parochial school should not have a say in the community schools - from an elected Board perspective. And I say that having gone to parochial schools all my life. I would not feel it would be right to run for school board because I never had any direct dealing with the schools or had any prior expertise. Can I get up in Board meetings and voice my opinion. You bet. Can I vote for school issues - you bet. Again, the example of a CEO who is the head of a company that chooses to NOT use the products of the company that he/she heads? I am trying to put it in a business perspective for you - I think you are big on thinking the schools are a business, right? And I always find it facinating that people love to provide stats and examples on how things are wrong with everything, but no one ever offers solutions on how to fix things. So, how would you solve the problem of the 2000+ kids you claim are being left behind? Its funny you site state statistics for everything, yet that is the same state educational system and standards that you would like to abolish or change, isn't it?
I am not the professional union educator who has been complicit in this failure for lo these many years. It may best be left to the union to provide a new framework with which to address this disparity between those children who get the education we are funding and those who do not get the education we are funding. We have tried pouring more money on the problem with no measurable gains, that is clearly not the answer.

But your complete disenfranchising of an entire class of people is absolutely mind boggling. Schools are a business and if they were not monopolies they would soon go out of business. No wonder all of the unionites were quaking in their boots with the mere mention of a charter school.
Who wants actual competition? A charter school may well demonstrate the lack of real learning taking place in our school system.

In the world outside of the classroom, competition makes things better for all involved. It forces attention to detail that monopolies seldom attain.

At the past college prep meeting with Miami admission counselors at the junior high, the question arose about dual enrollment. Ms. Cook was quick to point out that it was being looked into at the high school. That is all fine a good, but the program was instituted over 25 years ago. How long are we going to look into such an obvious asset to our students and parents.

The private sector would not wait 25 years to "look into it", if they did the competition would most assuredly leave them in the dust.

When you spend over $45,000,000 per year and have over 500 employees, you are a business. I hate to be the one who taints your non-profit purity bubble, but you are in the business world.

The Board of Education is there to represent the best interest of the community, not just your select viewpoint. We need the best people available to manage our hard earned tax dollars. We do not need to cull the herd until only one voice is wailing.

Please remember that we went from a $30,000,000 deficit to a $6,000,000 surplus without the taxes that you claimed were absolutely, positively required or we faced total catastrophe across the district. 5 years later the disaster never came, what did come was the realization that we needed people with a spine to operate our school district budget.

I love the left's definition of Tolerance, if you agree with me you are tolerant, if you disagree you are a bigot. Very clean and to the point, foolish perhaps, but to the point.

The question becomes are we for inclusiveness, transparency, and a meritocracy?

Are we here to educate all of our children or just the ones who are easy.

While you may prefer segregation, dark rooms, and union seniority programs, I believe in the better nature of the human condition.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24084 Apr 10, 2013
walk a mile wrote:
<quoted text>
And you are correct - someone that chooses, or chose to send their kids to a parochial school should not have a say in the community schools - from an elected Board perspective. And I say that having gone to parochial schools all my life. I would not feel it would be right to run for school board because I never had any direct dealing with the schools or had any prior expertise. Can I get up in Board meetings and voice my opinion. You bet. Can I vote for school issues - you bet. Again, the example of a CEO who is the head of a company that chooses to NOT use the products of the company that he/she heads? I am trying to put it in a business perspective for you - I think you are big on thinking the schools are a business, right? And I always find it facinating that people love to provide stats and examples on how things are wrong with everything, but no one ever offers solutions on how to fix things. So, how would you solve the problem of the 2000+ kids you claim are being left behind? Its funny you site state statistics for everything, yet that is the same state educational system and standards that you would like to abolish or change, isn't it?
I am not the professional union educator who has been complicit in this failure for lo these many years. It may best be left to the union to provide a new framework with which to address this disparity between those children who get the education we are funding and those who do not get the education we are funding. We have tried pouring more money on the problem with no measurable gains, that is clearly not the answer.

But your complete disenfranchising of an entire class of people is absolutely mind boggling. Schools are a business and if they were not monopolies they would soon go out of business. No wonder all of the unionites were quaking in their boots with the mere mention of a charter school.
Who wants actual competition? A charter school may well demonstrate the lack of real learning taking place in our school system.

In the world outside of the classroom, competition makes things better for all involved. It forces attention to detail that monopolies seldom attain.

At the past college prep meeting with Miami admission counselors at the junior high, the question arose about dual enrollment. Ms. Cook was quick to point out that it was being looked into at the high school. That is all fine a good, but the program was instituted over 25 years ago. How long are we going to look into such an obvious asset to our students and parents.

The private sector would not wait 25 years to "look into it", if they did the competition would most assuredly leave them in the dust.

When you spend over $45,000,000 per year and have over 500 employees, you are a business. I hate to be the one who taints your non-profit purity bubble, but you are in the business world.

The Board of Education is there to represent the best interest of the community, not just your select viewpoint. We need the best people available to manage our hard earned tax dollars. We do not need to cull the herd until only one voice is wailing.

Please remember that we went from a $30,000,000 deficit to a $6,000,000 surplus without the taxes that you claimed were absolutely, positively required or we faced total catastrophe across the district. 5 years later the disaster never came, what did come was the realization that we needed people with a spine to operate our school district budget.

I love the left's definition of Tolerance, if you agree with me you are tolerant, if you disagree you are a bigot. Very clean and to the point, foolish perhaps, but to the point.

The question becomes are we for inclusiveness, transparency, and a meritocracy?

Are we here to educate all of our children or just the ones who are easy.

While you may prefer segregation, dark rooms, and union seniority programs, I believe in the better angels of the human condition.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24085 Apr 10, 2013
walk a mile wrote:
<quoted text>
And of course I was making up the "surveyed 215 of the 219". It was a joke. Have a little levity in your life, it goes a long way...
"And I don't doubt some do work as you describe, but I doubt it is 2/3" And you can back that up??? Walk a mile in someone's shoes....hate to be quoting scripture, but boy is it appropriate.
I have been, I have been walking in the shoes of those 2000 plus kids who are not getting the education the taxpayers of this community are funding.

Your sense of levity will be of scant consolation when those 2000 plus children try to make it in the world outside of Springboro's classrooms. I know these kids, coming in to try and find work but lacking the basic skills necessary to make a success of the effort.

I put up one ad for one minimal skill starting position paying $9/hour with full benefits and received over 200 applications from kids just like these whose resumes would make you cry. I find little to gloat over, and even less to laugh about when I am faced with real world situations and young parents who just don't have the skills or knowledge to succeed.
boosters

Springboro, OH

#24086 Apr 10, 2013
Did I just read the Springboro Sun eblast right???? There is a hearing set in the Boosters case? What????? I thought the Springboro police, boosters, everyone was ignoring this, or even worse - not looking into it at all and shoving it under the rug due to all kinds of political connections????

Wonder if we will ever see any apologies or "My bads" on this blog from all the conspirqacy theorists? Ha! My guess is - NO.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24087 Apr 10, 2013
boosters wrote:
Did I just read the Springboro Sun eblast right???? There is a hearing set in the Boosters case? What????? I thought the Springboro police, boosters, everyone was ignoring this, or even worse - not looking into it at all and shoving it under the rug due to all kinds of political connections????
Wonder if we will ever see any apologies or "My bads" on this blog from all the conspirqacy theorists? Ha! My guess is - NO.
I would not gloat too much over the fact that you allowed your organization to be looted.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24088 Apr 11, 2013
From Mr. David Bowman's latest blog for the union
"Do we have a powerful, bullying union that is making insane demands on the public? I don’t think so. Judging by the simple fact that the teachers have had their pay frozen for years, it’s pretty easy to discern that unreasonable union demands are not a problem that needs to be addressed in our community."

Pay frozen for years?

Laughable.

Check out the associated link and tell me how many teachers have not seen their pay rise over the past 4 years.

http://www.springboro.org/userfiles/6/Staff%2...

330 teachers, can you tell me how many have not had a raise for years?

Add to this amount the 14% of every dollar that the taxpayers fund for their retirement.

No raises? Not hardly.

Payroll
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24089 Apr 11, 2013
From Mr. David Bowman's latest blog for the union

"9. Thanks for Nothing – Section 9.01 paragraph e removes seniority as a consideration for filling vacant positions in the district. This means that teachers who have faithfully served the district for years could be bypassed for cheaper, less qualified teachers. Seniority should not be the only consideration, but experience is important to any job. Apparently the board sees educating our children as somehow different – a unique job where experience in the field, relationships with the community, and accumulated tribal knowledge are all meaningless.

10. I’m Sorry, I Know You How? Not to be outdone by paragraph e, Section 9.01 paragraph f removes language that seeks to keep our existing teachers employed within the district by seeking to fill open positions from within the district before hiring from the general public. Again this gives the board the power to cut positions and remove experienced teachers from the district as opposed to reassigning them within the district. This is consistent with the board’s desire to intimidate, punish, and weaken our teachers."

What Mr. Bowman fails to realize is that not everyone who has managed to stick around somewhere a long time is necessarily the best and brightest.

And while experience would seem to be a good thing, people must keep in mind that experience can be both good and bad.

Employing someone who has lots of "experience" that is mostly mediocre or bad cheats the children.

What is wrong with hiring the best available person for the job whether or not they are within the system or outside of the system?

Those who are good at their jobs should be enthralled by the opportunities this presents because now they can fairly compete for better positions.

Who benefits in the end?

The really good teachers and our children.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drexel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 11 hr Cry Baby 19,374
Where's all the old threads? 20 hr The Duke of Hazard 2
SOS - PLEASE HELP!! Crowd Funding - 4 - GREECE... 21 hr Bro 3
cheeks club 22 hr Bro 10
The Dayton Oasis, the Dayton Stoop, the DDN mes... (Jan '09) 23 hr masterofconcretep... 5
Review: Wilmington Apartments (May '09) 23 hr Carlea Pearman 68
Do you need advice about love or relationships? (May '09) Sat Kenflosmooth 16
Drexel Dating
Find my Match

Drexel Jobs

Drexel People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Drexel News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Drexel

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]