Our recommendation: Springboro voters...

Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

There are 31918 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

Numbers wrong again

Cleveland, OH

#24008 Apr 2, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for your Mother Teresa outlook for our children, I am sure all of the dirt bag parents you describe appreciate your altruistic efforts.
Police ad Firemen work 52 weeks per year, providing service every day of the year and around the clock. 2080 hours of service vs 1181.25 hours for our professional teaching staff.
175 days x 7.25 hours per day= 1268.75 hours per year - 87.5 hours for lunch = 1181.25 per year
When I checked the states salary reports going back to 2008 I do not find many teachers who have not had a raise each year(by many I am talking about less than 7% our of 330 odd teachers). Everyone else had raises some of them quite substantial,($7-10,000 dollars).
I believe that is substantially more than a mere cost of living raise. This flies in the face of your claim that you have not had a raise in many years, unless you are one of the top earners to begin with making over $60,000 per school year (1181.25 hours or $50.79/hour wage)
$60,000 on 175 days is $342.83 per day.
Those unsold houses will translate into lower property tax dollars available to pay your salary.
Be careful what you wish for, it may come true.
If my numbers are incorrect, please feel free to correct them with a reasonable explanation.
Teachers in Springboro are contracted for 185 days. There you go again fudging numbers to fit your claim. The average 40 hour a week person works 240 days a year with their vacation days and government holidays as well. Step raises are about 1,000 dollars a year. Where on earth do you see 7,000 to 10,000 dollar raises?
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24009 Apr 2, 2013
Numbers wrong again wrote:
<quoted text>
Teachers in Springboro are contracted for 185 days. There you go again fudging numbers to fit your claim. The average 40 hour a week person works 240 days a year with their vacation days and government holidays as well. Step raises are about 1,000 dollars a year. Where on earth do you see 7,000 to 10,000 dollar raises?
You must have too many Corona's.

So how many hours of instruction do you provide per year?

Step raises? You mean a raise in pay each year? For what?

http://www.buckeyeinstitute.org/teacher-salar...
Provides you public employee salary information, just plug in the school name, district name, and salary range you wish to investigate

Look under the special education teachers pay, some science teachers, some math teachers, some foreign language teachers, basically all over the spectrum. There you will find a multitude of teachers who have seen their pay rise $7,000-$10,000 since 2008.

The vast majority have seen their pay increase from $5,000-$6500 during the same time frame.

Only a bare handful received nothing for some reason.
Numbers wrong again

Cleveland, OH

#24010 Apr 2, 2013
Look at your districts contract your board put on your website. 2007-2008 for the first 14 years the raises were 1600 dollars a year. The Buckeye Institute is a conservative think tank. Can't trust those numbers. That's about 70 bucks a check. In 14 years of service why is it unthinkable that an employee can receive a 20,000 dollar raise? I know for a fact some places in the private sector can easily do that. 1350 hours of instruction for Springboro Teachers. You asked about step raises, obviously you don't believe in cost of living so I'm not going to try to convince you on those, it's a mute point.
poundsand

Miamisburg, OH

#24011 Apr 2, 2013
why is someone from Corona, CA commenting on Springboro teachers financials?
Reject Forced Unionism

Cincinnati, OH

#24012 Apr 2, 2013
Irish1158 wrote:
<quoted text>
As stated before, come do my job for a week, be sure to wear long sleeve in case you get bit, then we can have a more intelligent conversation. Oh, and by the way, the kids need size 7 to 10 clothing and they like graham crackers for breakfast. Don't forget the milk too cause some of them don't drink that for breakfast, their caring parents give them Mountain Dew and Poptarts.
I hope you don't need surgery during the week either because our "fantastic" insurance doesn't cover that much and and your simple surgery will end up costing you $10,000.
Have a blessed day.
Have the day of your choice.... but don't forget that it is the "union teacher in every child's classroom" that has proclaimed
"give me more of your money and let the little children come unto the government union worker." How arrogant of you to ridicule
"caring parents give them Mountain Dew and Pop Tarts..." while demanding pay increases and more benefits for union teacher who hands out the "graham crackers."

This is clearly an intrusion of the government into the God-Given blessing of relationship between Mom&Dad and their child;
It is not the business of the union teacher to "put asunder what God has joined together; AND it is the God-Given mission of
the church (not the union government employee) to feed the hungry and clothe the naked in the blessed name of Jesus... as beautifully expressed in the words of Psalm 27:10:
Though my father and mother forsake me,
the Lord will receive me.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24013 Apr 2, 2013
poundsand wrote:
Unions are everywhere.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24017 Apr 3, 2013
Really Hard Jobs wrote:
<quoted text>
Being a garbage man is no day at the beach either. A trauma nurse working in the knife and gun club at Good Sam doesn't have it easy either. How about the night clerk at the convenience store up on North Dixie? The men and women in all kinds of weather conditions day or night keeping your power flowing? The men and women who have given of themselves to protect this country in wastelands like Afghanistan and Iraq on multiple deployments working 24/7, you think they wouldn't like a summer off? Try living in a foxhole for a few days in some crappy weather while somebody is trying to kill you, that will make you appreciate how cush you got it. Spare me the tales of sacrifice a lot of people got it a lot harder.
If you think starting out working for $30.82/hour part time is pathetic, try one of these jobs full time in all kinds of weather every day of the year.

Let me know what you think of your remuneration then.
joker

Springfield, OH

#24018 Apr 3, 2013
poundsand wrote:
It's a teacher on vacation in California again !
poundsand

Miamisburg, OH

#24019 Apr 3, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
Unions are everywhere.
yea, well Springboro doesn't need any advice from the peoples republic of Kalifornia. The bluest of the blue states, California, Illinois and New York all in the crapper and getting worse. Gee I wonder what the common denominator is?
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24020 Apr 3, 2013
Does anyone see post 24014, 24015 or 24016?

They seem to be deleted for some reason, perhaps the truth is inconvenient for some people.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24022 Apr 3, 2013
<quoted text>
Full Time employment with your numbers
240 days x 8 hours per day = 1920 hours per year

School employee with your numbers
185 days x 7.25 hours per day = 1341.5 hours per year

1341.5 hours for school employee /1920 hours for full time employee=70% of full time hours

40 hours per week vs 28 hours per week (on an annualized basis)
Observer

Lebanon, OH

#24023 Apr 3, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
Does anyone see post 24014, 24015 or 24016?
They seem to be deleted for some reason, perhaps the truth is inconvenient for some people.
Looks like they got 24021 as well. There is somebody out there who doesn't like the truth or those who do the telling. I saw it this mornng, put it up again and I will copy it and post it myself.
Math Major

Lebanon, OH

#24024 Apr 3, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
Full Time employment with your numbers
240 days x 8 hours per day = 1920 hours per year
School employee with your numbers
185 days x 7.25 hours per day = 1341.5 hours per year
1341.5 hours for school employee /1920 hours for full time employee=70% of full time hours
40 hours per week vs 28 hours per week (on an annualized basis)
You forgot to take out the paid lunches, I don't know of anybody who gets paid to eat lunch.
185 days x .5 hrs for lunch equals 92.5 hrs
1341.5 hrs per year - 92.5 hrs equals 1249 hrs
1249 hrs for teachers/1920 hrs for private sector full time employee equals 65% of the hrs of a private sector full time employee.
40 hrs/week in the private sector vs. 26 hrs/week in the school system, also annualized
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24025 Apr 3, 2013
This is how much a teacher in the Springboro School District actually makes per hour.

$36,500 +$5110 the taxpayer picks up for your retirement fund /1350 hours =$30.82/hour
$48,000 +$6720 the taxpayer picks up for your retirement fund/1350 hours =$40.53/hour
$60,000 +$8400 the taxpayer picks up for your retirement fund/1350 hours =$50.66/hour
$75,000 +$10,500 the taxpayer picks up for your retirement fund/1350 hours =$63.33/hour

And this is what we receive in return after 8 years in our school system,
80% scoring a D or F on the Ohio Achievement Assessment test.

8th Grade 2011-2012 Ohio Achievement Assessment Tests Results.
Math .......50 possible points on the test
State Rating System and distribution of students for the 8th grade
Limited.......... 3 Students
Limited.......... 20% was the Average score for this group
Limited..........definition--0 -10 correct answers =(0-20% correct)
Basic..........25 Students
Basic ..........27% was the Average score for this group
Basic..........definition--11- 15 correct answers =(22-30% correct)
Proficient........174 Students
Proficient........47% was the Average score for this group
Proficient.........definition- -16-29 correct answers =(32-58% correct)
Accelerated.....159 Students
Accelerated.....67% was the Average score for this group
Accelerated.....definition--30 -36 correct answers =(60-72% correct)
Advanced........77 Students
Advanced........85% was the Average score for this group
Advanced........definition--37 -50 correct answers =(74-100% correct)

Applying Mr. Malone's same grading system used for assigning percentages to grades earned in the college credit program (PSEO)
F.....Below 62.99% correct answers.......239 Students
Percentage of Students.....55% receiving F

D..... 63%- 74.99% correct answers......108 Students
Percentage of Students.....25% receiving D

C......75%- 84.99% correct answers........49 Students
Percentage of Students.....11% receiving C

B..... 85%- 92.99% correct answers........36 Students
Percentage of Students.....8% receiving B

A..... 93% correct answers and above.....6 Students
Percentage of Students.....1% receiving A
Observer

Lebanon, OH

#24027 Apr 4, 2013
Such a deal.
Lets see

Springfield, OH

#24028 Apr 4, 2013
Look at your districts contract your board put on your website. 2007-2008 for the first 14 years the raises were 1600 dollars a year. The Buckeye Institute is a conservative think tank. Can't trust those numbers. That's about 70 bucks a check. In 14 years of service why is it unthinkable that an employee can receive a 20,000 dollar raise? I know for a fact some places in the private sector can easily do that. 1350 hours of instruction for Springboro Teachers. You asked about step raises, obviously you don't believe in cost of living so I'm not going to try to convince you on those, it's a mute point.
Funny, this is from CA. So now we have people from California here?
Wow how do we rank that?
interesting info

Springfield, OH

#24029 Apr 4, 2013
Math Major wrote:
<quoted text>
You forgot to take out the paid lunches, I don't know of anybody who gets paid to eat lunch.
185 days x .5 hrs for lunch equals 92.5 hrs
1341.5 hrs per year - 92.5 hrs equals 1249 hrs
1249 hrs for teachers/1920 hrs for private sector full time employee equals 65% of the hrs of a private sector full time employee.
40 hrs/week in the private sector vs. 26 hrs/week in the school system, also annualized
Mu husband and I work 10 hours per day and lunch is not a part of that 10 hours. We are salaried also.
interesting info

Springfield, OH

#24030 Apr 4, 2013
Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like they got 24021 as well. There is somebody out there who doesn't like the truth or those who do the telling. I saw it this mornng, put it up again and I will copy it and post it myself.
So are you saying that Dayton Daily is removing some posts just because they do not like the truth here?
Buzzmom

Dayton, OH

#24031 Apr 6, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
I thought Mr. Webber gave a fine speech, he presents well to the public and made some impassioned pleas that seemed to resonate with the home crowd.
The one thing that appeared to be lacking in all of the pro Babb speakers was any concern for the 2000 plus kids in our district who just aren't getting it academically as well as the speakers' children.
I never heard word one from anyone that their child who wasn't getting everything from their education in our school district. All of the men and women who spoke had children in the gifted program that were doing great.
They expounded relentlessly how wonderful their children were doing and what great teachers their kids have enjoyed.
But not a word for the 2000 plus children who are struggling academically in this school district each year. Get out the school report card and do the math, 2000 plus kids would nearly fill our gym at a basketball game.
Where were the pleas for those 2000 plus children?
Instead we have a group of speakers imploring the district to maintain the status quo, a place where their children get the attention.
Self serving?
Perhaps just a bit.
Concern about others?
Not in the least.
I have a concern for the children that are struggling. I have a child on an IEP that has slipped through the testing cracks which left him non-eligible for services. Example: reading intervention: he tests great one on one after intervention and is borderline but since he is doing well and the slots are full he gets pulled. Later he was observed and noted that he was receiving services because he needed them and I politely reminded them that they tested him out and he had fallen behind again. It seems from observatiin that the classroom aides and intervention is spread very thin. I don't understand how it is possible to start an expensive program for "gifted" students excelling and leave behind the ones who are falling behind. I have also heard parents say directly that their gifted student needs to be with others like them and not separated. Sounds like discrimination to me.
No More Status Quo

Cincinnati, OH

#24032 Apr 7, 2013
Finding ways to methodically advance student achievement should always be everyone’s goal. Implementing academic reforms will, for example, reduce the present need for so many of our students needing to take college remediation courses. This, of course, will immediately translate into money saved for parents whose students attend Ohio’s colleges. And, in order to meet this challenge of higher academic quality, the current school Board of Education and District are, or already have plans to, invest heavily in technology, professional development for teachers, new textbooks, as well as new computers for every teacher, plus much more.
All this being said, there is a lot of work yet to be done to assure you (parents) that we will strive to do more than meet the minimum state requirements. The current Board of Education is dedicated to being advocates for every student striving to push the bar higher than other districts.
Some say there’s no need to change because our district achieved an “excellent with Distinction” rating for our most recent school year. But we live in a world that is dynamic, a world of ever-evolving expectations and realities that require our constant attention. What once was an acceptable level of achievement is now a relic of the past that will ill serve our children and our taxpayers in the future.
As parents, we all desire that our children be provided the best we can afford. We constantly challenge our children with the hope that doing so will help prepare them for the world and better lives than we ourselves enjoy. We are also highly cognizant of the importance of true learning and greatly value education and the promise of what it may bring.
Everyone in the school community has more in common than they have differences. Let us meld that commonality to push forth a better school system than we enjoy today. We owe it to our children. Let us come together to push for real achievement and higher standards than we currently demand.
http://educatespringboro.wordpress.com/2013/0...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drexel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Is Trump a national security threat?" 7 min Eric Cartman Auth... 18
don't waste your time or gas applying at Fuyao. (Jan '15) 20 hr Sinclairbroadcast... 82
D.P.&L. Sucks! 22 hr The Duke of Hazard 6
Why Donald Trump is hated in Scotland... 22 hr Literature Lover 1
News Inmates caught in Ohio following 'Shawshank' st... Thu wichita-rick 3
Andy's Dean's "America Now" cancelled! (Jul '14) Thu The Duke of Hazard 42
Run down city Thu Moraine is hideous 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Drexel Mortgages