3,875 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

Other (explain below)

old and tard

United States

#21 Oct 11, 2010
There is already something that lowers or cancels real estate tax for lower income seniors. I know because I am a low income senior. I barely passed the income level and it is very hard for my husband to pay our real estate taxes, personal property taxes, and buy heating oil in the fall. also,because of the very hot summer, our electric bill has been outrageous. Due to my illness, heat makes me much sicker and using window air conditioners use a lot of electricity. I always wondered why they didn't allow the public to buy the heat pumps and air conditioners that were taken out when the town was torn down. That would have been a blessing to those that couldn't afford to have new ones installed. Does anyone know what happened to them. I tried to inquire about purchasing one but couldn't find out who to see.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#22 Oct 11, 2010
Thinker wrote:
<quoted text>
We're not in a depression.
So, you think because the media says we're in a recession that we're not in a depression?

Yeah, keep believing that.

Location hidden

#23 Oct 11, 2010
Thinker wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, we are. Prove me wrong. Prove that we'll get out of the "recession" soon.

You can't.

Location hidden

#24 Oct 11, 2010
Thinker wrote:
<quoted text>
THAT'S NOT an ARGUMENT!

“Internet Famous”

Since: Jun 09

Chicago, IL

#25 Oct 11, 2010
A recession is a period of an economic contraction, sometimes limited in scope or duration.

GDP and GDP are still showing growth, albeit small growth. By definition, we are not in a recession. Quit listening to the talking heads.
what is wrong

Hopewell, VA

#26 Oct 11, 2010
Thinker wrote:
<quoted text>
The entities that oversee these things already exist. Might as well use them.
What entity outside of the Veterans Affairs has a dicument that says,"Hardships"? if an entity doesn't have the document, then noone is overseeing it. Duh!
The republicans are cutting spending, ready to reduce the hours of a work week. So how do you compute adding another unpublished as of yet document? And then you say,"it's not about anything other than giving them a tax exemption".....When you're balancing your check book, is it ever about just deducting or is that deduction coming from somewhere and equally going somewhere else? How do you propose to not collect a revenue and equally pay a person for overseeing it? This is nothing but a bunch of rich conservatives, reaching retirement age and trying to implement policy before they go out to pasture and leave the rest of you with another bill. Get real! And I qualified for social security 132 days ago and I'm holding out for the max.

“Internet Famous”

Since: Jun 09

Chicago, IL

#27 Oct 11, 2010
Petsound wrote:
<quoted text>
THAT'S NOT an ARGUMENT!
Nobody said it was an argument. It's a statement of fact that nullifies the terms of your argument.
what is wrong

Hopewell, VA

#28 Oct 11, 2010
Petsound wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, we are. Prove me wrong. Prove that we'll get out of the "recession" soon.
You can't.
The keyword is 'we'. I can't prove that we aren't in a recession because I don't know where your money is. At 59 1/2, I withdrew my 30 years of savings and dumped what I didn't need into China. Because their dollar was valued lower than the U.S dollar and they planned to keep it that way until after the threat against Iran was over. So, you could possibly be dealing with a credit issue and since you can't make money with the interest rate being zero unless you sell the item for more than it's worth for a shorter loan period, then you might as well save your money and let it's value decrease in your pocket.
what is wrong

Hopewell, VA

#29 Oct 11, 2010
Lee County Thinker wrote:
A recession is a period of an economic contraction, sometimes limited in scope or duration.
GDP and GDP are still showing growth, albeit small growth. By definition, we are not in a recession. Quit listening to the talking heads.
GDP doesn't necesarily reflect the standard of living for us little people that are a part of the prolariat or salariat echelons of society. The increase in the GDP means that the person that had the gold backed dollar saw growth, it doesn't mean that the government will dumb down our dollar to make it seem as if we gained. It's time to severe the movement of the GDP from the standard of living. Business does not owe the people any gratification other than their earned wages. If they don't like it quit. Honeywell and Dupont have done away with future employees being hired into a a group pension plan and other businesses need to do this as well. It reduces the costs of production and it delivers the same product at a cheaper price.

Location hidden

#30 Oct 11, 2010
Lee County Thinker wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody said it was an argument. It's a statement of fact that nullifies the terms of your argument.
Yeah, keep believing that. I bet your ego will get your a hot seat in hell.
what is wrong

Hopewell, VA

#31 Oct 11, 2010
old and tard wrote:
There is already something that lowers or cancels real estate tax for lower income seniors. I know because I am a low income senior. I barely passed the income level and it is very hard for my husband to pay our real estate taxes, personal property taxes, and buy heating oil in the fall. also,because of the very hot summer, our electric bill has been outrageous. Due to my illness, heat makes me much sicker and using window air conditioners use a lot of electricity. I always wondered why they didn't allow the public to buy the heat pumps and air conditioners that were taken out when the town was torn down. That would have been a blessing to those that couldn't afford to have new ones installed. Does anyone know what happened to them. I tried to inquire about purchasing one but couldn't find out who to see.
Most of the time HVAC equipment doesn't transfer efficiently..meaning just because it was working. doesn't mean it will work the same when reinstalled. The coil system is catastrophic when moisture in the air is introduced. The window unit was probably more efficient than an old central air unit. Window unit are roughly 10 seer or better. If it costs a lot to run, it probably wasn't the right size.
what is wrong

Hopewell, VA

#32 Oct 11, 2010
Petsound wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, keep believing that. I bet your ego will get your a hot seat in hell.
Are you one of those troll thingies? How do you choose where you go or what side of the platform that you'll take? Everyone trolls in some form, because of the way these forums are set up but what drives you to comment or not respond rationally. I have a few semi-racists that I follow from topic to topic, a couple of idiots that I truly intend on making civilized.
you are a sick person

Lawrenceburg, KY

#33 Oct 11, 2010
justified wrote:
No. Their annuity companies and their investments are the reason we are in this financial mess. Wall street basically over levied their properties so those retirement funds that they had yet to receive could be recovered on the back end. Wall street bet on their previous trend of them paying their debts and got tricked. As another posted stated, "their excessive spending habits". Maybe the government is seeing this spending as a stimulation for the younger generation to earn an income that will support social security for the elderly and disabled. If their children don't want them to starve, let them take care of them. Tax exemption sounds like an future reason to cut more jobs. If cutting jobs is conservatism, America needs to start looking for an alternative to the system not just two outdatetd political stances.
OMG..... "if their children don't want them to starve, let them take care of them". You are a hard hearted person who will be old one day, if God is generous to you. I can't even believe there are people in this world that truly feel this way.
Diehard Democrat

Salem, VA

#34 Oct 11, 2010
This would be a good idea, if the assets of the people in question were below a certain amount. It would be the only way I would vote yes.
SirRantsAlot

Richmond, VA

#35 Oct 11, 2010
I think by the time someone retires to a fixed income their days of paying taxes should be over. Permanently. No local, state, or federal taxes. No sales taxes, or taxes disguised as "fees", such as DMV vehicle registration. No income taxes - I think most people would be surprised to learn that retirees have to pay "income" taxes on the social security they receive.

Retirees have spent their lifetime paying into the system. They've contributed - and now they're done. Let them enjoy their golden years. They've earned it!

Location hidden

#36 Oct 11, 2010
what is wrong wrote:
<quoted text>Are you one of those troll thingies? How do you choose where you go or what side of the platform that you'll take? Everyone trolls in some form, because of the way these forums are set up but what drives you to comment or not respond rationally. I have a few semi-racists that I follow from topic to topic, a couple of idiots that I truly intend on making civilized.
Actually, no; when someone is pompous to think their opinion is fact, and states it pretentiously in opposition to someone's position, without an arguement, they are a troll.

Since: May 10

Rooted in Reality

#37 Oct 11, 2010
old and tard wrote:
You are correct in all the things you listed. People with jobs and are healthy can't imagine or relate to a person that makes in a month what they make in a week. Stretching this money becomes a challenge especially if medical bills and medicines are involved. I firmly believe in helping the elderly and totally disabled. The threshold should be high in order to qualify with current medical evidence of one's disability and income limitations attached.

Location hidden

#38 Oct 11, 2010
Again I'll vote yes.
Novanglus

Bridgewater, VA

#39 Oct 11, 2010
Had me going on this one until the disability clause came in. Voting NO. However I expect this to pass and more laws like it that favor the baby boomers because they will represent more of a voting percentage over the next couple of decades. The only problem is that the state/county/city will still get those taxes so that means that Gen X/Y/Z will pay a larger percentage.
justified

Hopewell, VA

#40 Oct 11, 2010
you are a sick person wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG..... "if their children don't want them to starve, let them take care of them". You are a hard hearted person who will be old one day, if God is generous to you. I can't even believe there are people in this world that truly feel this way.
Already there and I didn't want to contribute to medicare, social security or any other false annuity program sponsored by the gov. I also don't want any of my kids to do anything with me or for as far as being old. I paid for long term care, I didn't take out second or third mortgages for my childrens educations or weddings and I knew when I bought my house in 1972 that I was going to have to pay taxes on it until I croaked. I drive a 2000 lexus rx300 and my wife drives a 2006 bmw 650i and we own a 1988 chevy c1500, a john boat and a golf cart...screw the working class(75000-150000) that bought a house for more than they made in 3 years of income. Nobody forced them to spend their money.
And if you can't afford to live, there is an alternative.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drakes Branch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Title Pawn/Loan Mistake? (Dec '13) May '14 Curious 3
Where is the best place to apply for a car loan? (Dec '13) Mar '14 mikethom 3
UBUNTU 7.10 USERS can you please do this and te... (Dec '13) Dec '13 moditavepaw 2
I need $$ fast!? (Dec '13) Dec '13 gipesecepuqa 2
Trivia 10 Quick Points: What Is The Exact Origi... (Dec '13) Dec '13 jujyzoqahok 2
How come a wife shooting her husband gets to be... (Dec '13) Dec '13 hygegixiwyt 2
I have been incarcerated for 10 years? (Dec '13) Dec '13 mitzizjzmbl 2
Drakes Branch Dating
Find my Match

Drakes Branch Jobs

Drakes Branch People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Drakes Branch News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Drakes Branch

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]