Olympus Dam: doing its job

Full story: Estes Park Trail-Gazette

Water is released Monday from the Olympus Dam that holds back the waters of Lake Estes.
Comments
1 - 10 of 10 Comments Last updated Dec 16, 2013
Enough

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Judged:

You have enough propaganda in this rag without the need to try to legitimize it - Why not pose the same questions to the people in the canyon who no longer have a home.........Did the person you were posing the questions to lost his home?
wondering

Littleton, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Judged:

why then on Thursday morning Sept 12th did fire and rescue come down the canyon 34 to tell residents to evacuate "because they were opening all FIVE gates" of the dam?
dogsrule54

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

Would they have admitted if they did make a mistake? I think not. He gave the safest anwser he could give. I am sure they have to be politically correct to avoid any lawsuits. No one has still been down the canyon to remove houses, cars, debris etc. It has been over a month now. It feels like no one cares about what is going or not happening down there.
Hard to

Estes Park, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

remove debris when there is no road to get there with the heavy equipment it will take to do that.
Repeat over and over

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2013

Judged:

Olympus Dam is not a flood control dam;
Olympus Dam is not a flood control dam..........

After a while maybe it will get through the thick skulls of those who (incredibly) believe that if the gates of Olympus Dam weren't opened that Lake Estes would have been able to hold all the water from the storm and the canyon would have been spared.

Tin foil for your hats now available at Safeway!
Stakeholder

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2013

Judged:

Is that the person pounding the stake into Dracula, or is that the person getting pounded?
Shawn Johnson

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

Judged:

Tyler must be the person who recklessly decided to open up the flood gates! Maybe I should I should sue him.
I live down there

Lake Butler, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2013

Judged:

Olympus Dam is not a flood control dam..........
We hear that a lot these days:
Nor is Lake Estes a storage facility, it's purpose is to deliver water to interests down the canyon and provide hydroelectric power for the marina and recreational interests near by. However, as directed by executive order by Jimmy Carter in 1977 and reflected in the FEMA Flood Management Training Manual: Entities that manage water above floodplains have the obligation to try and preserve the environemental, economical, cultureal and historic attributes of the flood plains below them. They had several days of opportunity and warning to practice anticipatory management and start modest releases sooner. Lake Estes was full to the brim before this all started, they had no room or flexibility to mitigate the flood, but with so much at stake, I would think they would have more protective policies in place. I would have thought maybe they would have quit importing water from the western slope days before this situation compounded instead of waiting until the flooding disaster was eminent. An accident rarely hinges on a final decision, and I question their management decisions that were or were not made days in advance.
I suggest

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

you look at some historic photos of Estes Park and the Big Thompson River and the SHALLOW valley that it went through before the Olympus Dam was built, and realize that the area was NEVER a DEEP canyon with the ability to hold large volumes of water. There's a good pairing in the book "Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park Then & Now" - pages 18 and 19.(Clinger, Pickering, & Stevanus. Westcliffe Publishers);

And you dis see how shallow Lake Estes was when they drew it down in order to "harvest" the years of silt that comprised the lake bed, didn't you?
I live down there wrote:
.......... I question their management decisions that were or were not made days in advance.
You can question all you wish, but the fact remains, there was not a lot of room to store anywhere near the amount of water in Lake Estes to prevent or lessen the damage of all the rainfall and resultant flood waters down the Big Thompson.
What about

Johnstown, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

Judged:

all the other canyons in the state, including the devastation in Glen Haven, all without the "dam" issue, I know it's hard folks, but the canyon would have flooded whether or not they opened all 5 gates, if they hadn't done that, the dam itself was at risk of failing like all the other dams down both 34 and 36, had that happened, you would have had a 40 foot wall of water coming down too, making the situation even worse.
The fact is, we got 2 YEARS worth of rain in a 4 day period! That's why this happened, not because Este decided to "sacrifice the canyon" to save the town, the other fact, it's not a town decision to open those gates, it's the Bureau of Land Management that makes that call.
It was a tragedy either way, keeping the dam shut wouldn't have made a difference except by about an inch higher.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Drake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: T V Service Center Thu bill Brennan 1
Debate: Marijuana - Loveland, CO (Aug '10) Aug 15 Becky 9
Review: Pati's Hair Care-Best Little Hair House... Aug 9 Pamela Mead Krull 1
RH Line calls printed Aug. 7, 2014 Aug 7 Benjamin Spock 1
CO Who do you support for Governor in Colorado in ... (Oct '10) Aug 2 pacostacos 287
Stanley Hotel ghost story supported by evidence... Jul 30 car007 5
Plane Out Of Longmont Lands On Iowa Road In Eme... Jul 29 Jon Beacham 1

Search the Drake Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Drake Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Drake People Search