Estes Park theater proposal stirs up emotions

Full story: Estes Park Trail-Gazette

Most large capital projects draw a fair amount of concern from citizens and affected business owners.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Ol Geezer

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

Hi Stan----Do you and the Board of Trustee's all live in Estes Park, and what gives you the authority to tell me and my family and all the citizens what's good for us? Try a public vote on the arts and see what the results are. Ithink everybody in the Estes Valley including myself could then live with it. Then you say give it a chance. Thats spending a lot of money on an unknown commodity. Then if it fails who is left holding the bag? Whatever became of building the theater at the fair grounds? You see I am not against the Performing Arts, I would just like to see a more common sense approach to it. But if you think about it, SENSE IS NOT COMMON!!!
Ol Geezer

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

Just an addition to above---You've talked to over 500 people. What's the population of EP? Around 6'000?And parking isn't a project issue? When it involves taking away parking to be able to build the project it sure as hell is a project issue!
Jesse

Broomfield, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

The ONLY economic drive this town needs is the freaking mountains!! Thats it, and they aren't going anywhere.
Oh yeah

Estes Park, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

Tony Paglia actually has a voice. He didn't for 4 years on the school board because he was to busy being Todd Jirsa's puppet. They don't talk just strings pulled. So where was Tony's voice on parking when Todd's Elkhorn Project was to be built just 2-3 blocks from this proposed Performing Arts Center? And if his Local's eatery stays open after theater hours he could maybe make a bundle if he improves the quality of his food.
I agree parking is an issue but for goodness sake let Todd tell us what to do since he is Mr. Estes Park and his wife's business would also be affected by parking or is there something else we need to know?

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

For all the points listed above in the meeting and then some, this facility located on this property is just not a good idea. I am opposed to this performing arts center being built in this location.
Big D

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

Let me get this straight.You're going to spend $20 million to build a theater thats only going to do 3 hour performances six times a year, and it's going to be a non profit? Who the hell are you trying to kid Mr. Black? 3/4 of a day out of 365 a year, RIGHT!
Native

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Whatever became of building the theater at the fair grounds?
They only had a certasin amount of time to raise the money and they didn't make it. They thought we wanted a performing arts center...SORELY mistaken!
Exactly

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Except this is completely different, in that these donors want to lose money so they can get tax write offs. That is the brilliance of this proposal. It needs to fail and have these kind of setbacks to succeed. So let's continue to block it so it is 100% successful and everyone takes a bath.
izzysg

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

I would like to know if the person that wrote this article is associated with any of the people actively pushing this theatre. The article is SOOOO.... biased. First, explain that 62' is twice as tall as any of the buildings that face onto Elkhorn, also explain that is the height before that stupid arch gets put on it. Let people know that the variance was granted, because they only posted a small 1" square in the paper and most local residents knew nothing about the variance meeting. A few local merchants found out about it 1 day or 2 before, when they left a message for the proper town authority all you got was their answering machine. The so-called paid town authority was the one that was actively pushing for this variance to go through at the meeting. It will be a business, but why should the town cater to one business over any of the other businesses that have been established and are trying to stay afloat through this tough economic times. It is true the town wants tax dollars, they are not making it on parking spaces, but they will on the businesses. If the theatre wants to build in the space it was given let them under current town codes, but they want businesses on the land it was given, and they want to build on our town property. This is too much. The majority of the people of Estes and the surrounding valley do not want a theatre, it has been voted on numerous times. This is also not a viable business, facts and data show that theatres are losing money left and right. We will then be left with this hulk of a building in downtown EP when it closes.
Partly agree

Estes Park, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Except you can't have it both ways. You can't say: "This thing will drive out other businesses" at the same time you say "this thing will be a disaster and close immediately." Because it shows that you are desperate not to have this business in town and will do anything to try to make it go away.

One thing it would definitely do is drive poorly run businesses away, or businesses that are on their last legs but survive because this is Estes Park and tourists will buy all sorts of crap anyway. Let's not kid ourselves: There are very few modern, attractive, well-run businesses on main street. That is perhaps some of their charm, but I shudder when I take visitors into some of the T-shirt or candy shops, because they are poorly lit, dirty, and smell bad.

These should be driven out of business.

Again, let me reiterate: I hate the idea of a performing arts center that only 10% of the population wants occupying this particular space. I think the people spearheading this proposal are all crooks. But it is clear they are not going to build anyplace else, and I wouldn't mind them driving out some of the crappier businesses in town before they go out of business themselves, because whatever replaces these crappy businesses has to be better than what is occupying these store fronts right now.
JustSayinEP

Fort Collins, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Wrong whack job. For example, I own a business that successfully drove others out of business and then quickly went out of business. It was a businses where I was a peeping tom for hire, and would radio back what I saw to the person who hired me. Mostly I looked at my mom attempting to mount the Hispanic gardener Rico through the curtains, and radioed the description back to my dad at the truck stop.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Drake Discussions

Search the Drake Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Jehovah's Witnesses convention to inject $14 mi... (Jun '11) Jul 7 Larry 310
Franklin County Sheriff Dane Anthony completes ... (May '10) Jul 4 anonymous 7
Review: Lockett Tax Debt Center Jun 24 Anonymous 2
Farmers' Market back in Estes Park for the summer Jun '14 Walt Hester Caint Spell 1
Review: Allegiant Electric Jun '14 Jennifer Logan 1
RH Line calls printed June 9, 2014 Jun '14 Benjamin Spock 1
CO Colorado Primary Election August 10: Will you v... (Aug '10) Apr '14 paula baby 30
•••
•••
•••
•••

Drake Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Drake People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••