EPIC decision was disappointing

I am very disappointed in our town trustees in their decision of Jan. 22 regarding the Performing Arts Center facility to be built in downtown Estes Park. Full Story
Back in time

Estes Park, CO

#1 Feb 15, 2013
Young women electing to have small families or none at all? Are you kidding David? Why is it the woman's fault? Maybe the male partner/spouse doesn't want children. Good grief man you need to get out more often, expand your horizons past this hamlet and come into the 21st century. Speaking of nostalgia and living in the past...whew.

EPVirtualNative

Estes Park, CO

#2 Feb 15, 2013
To address Ms. Reed's concern about the skating area. That is not going to be a year round installation.

Regarding all of the generous donors. There is no small amount of talk about the dubious nature of the land donation. If indeed other donors with deep pockets are out there, maybe they can put their money in an independently administered escrow account on the condition that it be returned if this all falls through. The EPIC website is full of cheery scenarios.

I can tell you what is worse than the hole in the ground that exists now. A derelict set of buildings that are too big to rent out. Travel west on Elkhorn and look at the development on the north side of the street. Granted the trailer park was not well maintained. But the development that stopped in mid-develop is quickly looking like someones folly. Things like EPIC can quickly turn into a "bridge to nowhere" if they are not undertaken with a great deal of thought.

Long time business owners should not have to see the parking spaces that are vital to their business virtually given away to a project that is based on a certain amount of what ifs. And to an ambitious undertaking that could house businesses in direct competition with them. Whoever would end up renting the retail/restaurant space would do well to ask about parking before they pay whatever the rent would be.

Estes Park needs MORE, not less parking. A parking structure at the visitors center is a start. But if you are going to expect another 700 people downtown, and if you put 4 people per car that means another 175 spaces would be needed downtown.

Other than a few people who want to hold onto a vision of Estes Park that is either long gone or never really existed in reality, the majority seem to be on board with developing some new attractions. A scaled back theater that can fit on the current footprint was not an unreasonable request by the Trustees. This "business model" as it is being called is a hopeful one. What worries and puzzles some people is why a piece of real estate that large in the heart of the business district has apparently attracted no interest and now is going to be donated. Are the people not being told the whole story?
NO COMMENTS ALLOWED

Fort Collins, CO

#3 Feb 16, 2013
on the Dodge arrest for murder of Miranda Casey!
( http://www.eptrail.com/estes-park-news/ci_225... )

Poor girl, this is the FIRST TIME that the local rag has even acknowledged that she lived and died.

The Coloradoan is reporting the somehow the case has been removed from the public record without explanation!( http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20130215/NE... ) Luckily some real reporters (9News) are on the story and it won't be allowed to die in typical under-the-rug Estes Park fashion.

I wonder when we are going to hear from LOCAL NEWS about any of the other people who have died under mysterious circumstances in the past few months - no? Those aren't happy stories? Okay Estes, back to the trains and that sophomoric dance night at the Legion - this weekend is just packed full if you include the melodrama.........
Good job

Estes Park, CO

#4 Feb 16, 2013
NO COMMENTS ALLOWED wrote:
on the Dodge arrest for murder of Miranda Casey!
( http://www.eptrail.com/estes-park-news/ci_225... )
Poor girl, this is the FIRST TIME that the local rag has even acknowledged that she lived and died.
The Coloradoan is reporting the somehow the case has been removed from the public record without explanation!( http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20130215/NE... ) Luckily some real reporters (9News) are on the story and it won't be allowed to die in typical under-the-rug Estes Park fashion.
I wonder when we are going to hear from LOCAL NEWS about any of the other people who have died under mysterious circumstances in the past few months - no? Those aren't happy stories? Okay Estes, back to the trains and that sophomoric dance night at the Legion - this weekend is just packed full if you include the melodrama.........
I read the story in the Coloradoan and finally one of many, many corrupt Estes Park scenarios is finally playing out. This is unprecendented according to the Coloradoan but it's status quo for Estes Park.
obe wan

Aurora, CO

#5 Feb 17, 2013
Habecker needs to move to Boulder or somewhere else. He's already made his fortune here!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: T V Service Center Oct 12 bill Brennan 4
Boulder researcher: 2013's flood-triggering rai... Oct 1 Boulder Jeep Fan 1
Review: Affordable Dentures - Walter E Schneide... (Feb '11) Sep 30 Lee 25
Debate: Gay Marriage - Berthoud, CO (Jan '12) Sep 23 Brian_G 25
Learn to be a ham radio operator (Nov '13) Sep '14 HAM 12345 2
Jared Polis sues to stop fracking next to his W... (Jul '13) Sep '14 Jim 4
LP + Mesa = Skybeam, broadband alternative (Dec '08) Aug '14 Terry 83
Drake Dating
Find my Match

Drake Jobs