Do you remember????
52cal

Lowell, MA

#18713 Aug 3, 2014
I believe that was Kay's 2 lounge, used to go there a lot!
I bought all my Aurora Slot cars at Poirier's!
Mary1962

Hudson, MA

#18714 Aug 12, 2014
SATXBern wrote:
I moved away from Lowell in 1968--Have lived in Florida,Indiana,Japan,Taiwan,M ontana,Iceland and now San Antonio Texas. I miss South Walker Street in the the Highlands, good fried fish, Santoro's Subs and candlepin bowling at the Rex.
My mom owned Irene's Sea Grill on Moody Street. Searching for any information people have.
Mary1962

Hudson, MA

#18715 Aug 12, 2014
My Mother Irene Dubois-McElroy owned and operated Irene's Sea Grill on Moody Street in Lowel. I'm searching for pictures or anyone who went there that can tell me about it.
Janet Simard DiLisio

Spring Hill, FL

#18716 Aug 15, 2014
What use to be Franco American School had holy station's in the back does anyone know if they are still there.It looked pretty when they had the lights on them at night. Thanks
50s Girl

Pepperell, MA

#18717 Aug 16, 2014
Being brought up in Lowell years ago I really enjoyed the song on U Tube. It brought back so many great memories. I can relate to so many of the places shown in the song. Made my day for sure.
BillPalmer

Snellville, GA

#18718 Aug 28, 2014
Highlands Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder what a 5-6 yr. old kid could possibly do to upset a gang like the HOBO's, what did you do that they wanted you so badly to chase you to your front door??
I've wondered about that question myself....the only incident I can recall is when a bunch of kids, who may have been in the HOBOs, came to our house and raided our tall cherry tree....not the little reddish/yellow cherries but the large dark red, almost black, cherries. I told my mother what was going on and she went out and chased them away. Their pursuit of me may have been revenge for "squealing".

Since: Aug 14

Spring Hill, FL

#18719 Aug 28, 2014
F.R. I made it to the Lucky Dill here in Florida on RT. 19 and you are right the food is great and the sandwiches are so big filled with so much meat you can only eat half. I'm sure I will make it back there.
FRDR

Largo, FL

#18720 Aug 29, 2014
Janet Simard DiLisio wrote:
F.R. I made it to the Lucky Dill here in Florida on RT. 19 and you are right the food is great and the sandwiches are so big filled with so much meat you can only eat half. I'm sure I will make it back there.
Yes, the sandwiches are the biggest on the planet for sure. Next time you visit try a dinner, the chopped sirloin or meatloaf are equally fantastic. When you order a beverage you get a free raspberry cheese cake or apple strudel for dessert too which you can bring home if you are full which most people are.
Sla

Lowell, MA

#18721 Aug 29, 2014
Mary1962 wrote:
<quoted text>
My mom owned Irene's Sea Grill on Moody Street. Searching for any information people have.

I new your Mom. Your Dad wad in the navy right? I think your mom lived in Pelham N.H. but not sure. My Father would help her early in the morning till he had to get to his regular job.
I think at one time she lived upstairs from the restaurant.
Sla

Lowell, MA

#18722 Aug 31, 2014
What use to be Franco American School had holy station's in the back does anyone know if they are still there.It looked pretty when they had the lights on them at night. Thanks
Janet. They are still there. And as nice as ever.
50s cruisin

Wolfeboro, NH

#18723 Aug 31, 2014
Ruth Lowell MA wrote:
I have enjoyed reading the posts since back in Aug, 09. What a great way to spend a Sunday evening. Brian I enjoyed especially your posts since we were classmates at Oakland School and on up through the grades. I did miss you a few years when you left and went somewhere else. What I remember most was the old original St. Joseph's Hospital as it was back in the days of the Corporation Hospital. Alas, it is no longer there as U.Mass, Lowell has taken over the property and changed it with a new building, etc. I am surprised that the powers that be allowed that historical site to be taken over and rebuilt on. To me, it is a heartbreak. And Brian, there are no longer any skeletons over at Shedd Park (do you remember that prank?) I actually believed you!!
Hi Ruthie. I only come on here every few months to see if the inmates are still running the asylum. I visited the graves of my parents and brother, Bob, recently, and saw what U-Mass Lowell has been doing. They've certainly changed the landscape over there. And, yes, I do remember the skeleton prank, from so many years ago. How lucky we were to grow up next to Shedd Park. I'm srill working on copying our class picture from the Oakland School and sending it to you. Don't give up on me. Hope you are well, Ruthie. Be safe.

Since: Aug 14

Spring Hill, FL

#18724 Sep 1, 2014
Sla wrote:
<quoted text>
Janet. They are still there. And as nice as ever.
Thanks for letting me know
TUCSON RON

Oak Park, MI

#18725 Sep 2, 2014
The B.C. restaurant. In the early 50s I worked as a counter boy from the age of 14 till I was 18. two Greek brothers who shared a single room with a bare light bulb on the ceiling, owned the place. I was paid 65 cents an hour to mop floors and keep the coal fired cook stove filled. They put there nephew through college and eventually moved back to Grease and died about 2 years later. How sad. it was sold to two other brothers. I eventually became a counter person. I remember A Greek jeweler next door who had only one leg. He would come in every day on crutches and swing himself up onto a counter stool. He would order the same thing every day, a bowl of soup. He always left me 5 cent tip
Sla

Lowell, MA

#18727 Sep 4, 2014
<quoted text> Thanks for letting me know
You're welcome Janet.
Annie

Chelmsford, MA

#18728 Sep 14, 2014
Lowering the Bar wrote:
<quoted text>
Jordan marsh was where Barnes & Noble is now
No, it was called Bon Marche, think it was a satellite of Jordon Marsh ... it had a "rock bottom basement" and there was actually a huge boulder in that basement. Yes, it was located where Barnes & Noble is, and I think that French Restaurant .. cannot remember the name. I will always miss having a good old fashioned department store close by.
FRDR

Largo, FL

#18729 Sep 19, 2014
Lowell Housing Rebirth hailed is the headline in today's Lowell Sun. This was good reading as it looks like a lot of empty lots and buildings will be occupied with new housing bringing in new people to share in the New Lowell's growth. While some of us still remember the Old Lowell, time marches on and it looks like the new housing will complement the vast development of UMASS Lowell, this is all a Good Thing as for so long we have had to witness our old Lowell wait for a rebirth, I wish the developers success with their new endeavors and Lowell's Rebirth.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#18730 Sep 19, 2014
Annie wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it was called Bon Marche, think it was a satellite of Jordon Marsh ... it had a "rock bottom basement" and there was actually a huge boulder in that basement. Yes, it was located where Barnes & Noble is, and I think that French Restaurant .. cannot remember the name. I will always miss having a good old fashioned department store close by.
It was Jordon Marsh before it was a book store. It was Bon Marche before it was Jordon Marsh.

BON MARCHE BUILDING 143-153 Merrimack Street
The Merrimack Street facade of this building was constructed in three parts. The central section was built in 1887 by Frederick and Charles Mitchell to house the Bon Marche Dry Goods Company. Prior to the incorporation of the store, the brothers had both operated Merrimack Street businesses - Frederick, a dry goods store and Charles, a shoe store. The left section of the building was added to the Bon Marche store in 1927.

The right section of the building was constructed around 1874. It housed a confectionery and a restaurant before it became the Railroad National Bank in 1896. While the bank added a fifth floor and remodeled the facade, the upper stories of the bank portion remained different from the rest of the structure.

When the Jordan Marsh department store moved to the building in 1976, the facades and window glass of all three sections were painted white and a sidewalk canopy was built along the entire Merrimack Street side of the building. In 1986, both the paint and the canopy were removed, revealing the earlier architecture beneath.

http://library.uml.edu/clh/Lowell/lo2.Html
quarrymen14

Clermont, FL

#18731 Sep 23, 2014
Who could forget Mammoth Mart?
FRDR

Largo, FL

#18732 Sep 23, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
It was Jordon Marsh before it was a book store. It was Bon Marche before it was Jordon Marsh.
BON MARCHE BUILDING 143-153 Merrimack Street
The Merrimack Street facade of this building was constructed in three parts. The central section was built in 1887 by Frederick and Charles Mitchell to house the Bon Marche Dry Goods Company. Prior to the incorporation of the store, the brothers had both operated Merrimack Street businesses - Frederick, a dry goods store and Charles, a shoe store. The left section of the building was added to the Bon Marche store in 1927.
The right section of the building was constructed around 1874. It housed a confectionery and a restaurant before it became the Railroad National Bank in 1896. While the bank added a fifth floor and remodeled the facade, the upper stories of the bank portion remained different from the rest of the structure.
When the Jordan Marsh department store moved to the building in 1976, the facades and window glass of all three sections were painted white and a sidewalk canopy was built along the entire Merrimack Street side of the building. In 1986, both the paint and the canopy were removed, revealing the earlier architecture beneath.
http://library.uml.edu/clh/Lowell/lo2.Html
The Bon Marche’ building has been a Lowell landmark ever since I can remember and only to be rivaled by the old Pollard’s Dept. Store façade. In my opinion the Green/Gold facade that it has now borders on a gaudy carnival type advertisement which does not emulate the historical architecture of which the city of Lowell once held as its base. While I am on the pulpit, relocating Lowell High School or modifying its appearance and presence in downtown Lowell will only be another nail in the coffin to bury the city’s atmosphere as an historical landmark. If Lowell is to become a “Destination City” it needs to reinforce the architecture it once had in the downtown area. In support of my opinion I offer Portsmouth NH, and Newburyport Ma as examples.
FRDR

Largo, FL

#18733 Sep 30, 2014
quarrymen14 wrote:
Who could forget Mammoth Mart?
Who would want to remember it??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dracut Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
christmas decorations in chelmsford Jan 12 hammerhead 2
lowell crime stories as remebered by residents (Jul '08) Jan 7 Wildirishrose509 820
Dominique Oliver Jan 6 Notimpressed 2
my wife refuses to get a job! (Aug '09) Jan 5 Zane 208
It’s a stretch, but I’m asking? Jan 4 Karen Meyers 3
Lowell police corruption (Feb '16) Jan 1 NoSurpriseHere 3
gordon (chuckie, charlie) lister..anybody know ... (Jun '10) Dec 26 beenthere 6

Dracut Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dracut Mortgages