Do you remember????
Florida Retiree

Largo, FL

#18672 Mar 25, 2014
Florida Retiree wrote:
<quoted text>
What did you at the Mark V?
As I recall, it was considered a dive, if it's the place I am thinking of?
Sorry for the Typo, I meant to say:

What did you do for work at the Mark V?

Just wanted to re-post before some screwball jumps in and tells me I made a typo and you know they will!
Joe from the hill

Lowell, MA

#18673 Mar 25, 2014
Corner of dummer and Merrimack
Sla

Lowell, MA

#18674 Mar 26, 2014
Joe from the hill wrote:
Corner of dummer and Merrimack
What was on the corner of Dummer & Merrimack,.

That's all you put on. no explanation. So what are you talking about ?
Sla

Lowell, MA

#18675 Apr 3, 2014
I bet you all miss me.
This Dam place is boring without me.
Not much on here since F.R. & I left.
I bet it's because your all morons.

Have. A. Nice Day.

L.M.A.O.
Proud Granddaughter

Stamford, CT

#18676 Apr 8, 2014
Highlands Girl wrote:
Trying to save a 1/4 of a penny and only remembered for their cheapness!!!
Now, Mr. Domesick was something else. When my sister was to be married, he sent a card to our family. That man (I can see him now in my mind) was a true gentleman. He would ask my mother how we were when she would walk over for the french vanilla ice cream cone that would always make her three sick kids feel better. I swear he put an extra scoop on many of those cones.
That was my grandfather. I remember visiting Lowell and going to the fountain and getting a banana split! He has been gone 44 years to the day. Thank you for the beautiful testimony

Since: Jul 11

Snellville, GA

#18677 Apr 9, 2014
Good morning everyone.
I was reading a semi-autobiographical history of Lowell and the author mentioned getting into rock fights with the "Smith Street gang". I lived at the southeast corner of Liberty and Powell, Smith Street was the next street parallel to Powell and to the east. I remember Smith Street as a bit of a ghetto (in an economic sense) and I was chased back to my house by a bunch of kids from Smith Street, led by a blonde girl whose first name was Dorothy. Does anybody know about this girl and her gang? This probably happened in the 1940-42 time period. Thanks.
Bill Palmer
Highlands Guy

Largo, FL

#18678 Apr 19, 2014
BillPalmer wrote:
Good morning everyone.
I was reading a semi-autobiographical history of Lowell and the author mentioned getting into rock fights with the "Smith Street gang". I lived at the southeast corner of Liberty and Powell, Smith Street was the next street parallel to Powell and to the east. I remember Smith Street as a bit of a ghetto (in an economic sense) and I was chased back to my house by a bunch of kids from Smith Street, led by a blonde girl whose first name was Dorothy. Does anybody know about this girl and her gang? This probably happened in the 1940-42 time period. Thanks.
Bill Palmer
Bill, I believe you are speaking of Dorothy Malonson (not sure of the spelling) could Melanson as I am getting older now. Dorothy had a few brothers that were tough boys as tough as they come.
The name of the Gang was the HOBO's and were the toughest the City of Lowell ever had, later on there was the Bulldog's but they were puppy dogs by comparison.
There was the Hebert Brothers and the Dawson Brothers. Smith Street was their turf and nobody I mean nobody would even think of starting trouble there as that gang ruled the area.
Hope that answers your question.

Since: Jan 12

Lowell, MA

#18679 Apr 21, 2014
Highlands Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Bill, I believe you are speaking of Dorothy Malonson (not sure of the spelling) could Melanson as I am getting older now. Dorothy had a few brothers that were tough boys as tough as they come.
The name of the Gang was the HOBO's and were the toughest the City of Lowell ever had, later on there was the Bulldog's but they were puppy dogs by comparison.
There was the Hebert Brothers and the Dawson Brothers. Smith Street was their turf and nobody I mean nobody would even think of starting trouble there as that gang ruled the area.
My father grew up on Barclay St. and was in the HOBO's. He's related to Dorothy Melanson and also believes that she's in a nursing home now. They had a club house in back of the Maille's on Smith St. The Hebert's lived at the end of Barclay St. and the Dawson's were from Smith St. The Ducharme's were also another name he threw out.
BillPalmer

Kingston, Jamaica

#18680 Apr 23, 2014
HighlandsGuy and Travis, thanks for all the information. When I get back from the Caribbean, I'm going to try and locate Dorothy and contact her.?This is incredible, seeing her on a soapbox exhorting her "followers" to come after me is an indelible memory. I knew Smith Street was a rough neighborhood, no idea of this background. I'll stay tuned, let you know of whatever I find out. Thanks.
Bill
BillPalmer

Kingston, Jamaica

#18681 Apr 25, 2014
Travis The Chimp
Thanks for the info, do you know the address of the Mailles house on Smith Street where the HOBOs had a club house in the back? If it is on the west side of Smith Street between Liberty and Shaw Streets, I bet there is where I saw Dorothy rallying her gang members to come after me. Thanks.

Bill
Lowell Crime Fanatic

Hampstead, NH

#18682 Apr 26, 2014
Sla wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure.
But was told Byron Volakis owned it.
I think his name was Byron Vlahakis

Since: Jan 12

Lowell, MA

#18683 Apr 26, 2014
BillPalmer wrote:
Travis The Chimp
Thanks for the info, do you know the address of the Mailles house on Smith Street where the HOBOs had a club house in the back? If it is on the west side of Smith Street between Liberty and Shaw Streets, I bet there is where I saw Dorothy rallying her gang members to come after me. Thanks.
Bill
I asked my father and he said the club house was behind the Maille's at 161 Smith St. That would make it on the west side of Smith St. in between Liberty and Horn Streets. Dorothy lived in a triple decker at 193 Smith St. which does sit in the area of your encounter between Shaw and Liberty Streets.
Renata

Roslindale, MA

#18684 Apr 28, 2014
lowell girl wrote:
Speaking of taps, Some "girls" and guys might remember Miss Babe and Miss Ethel. The Marshall sisters dance studio. Fond memories up there.
I used to dance there for many years ! I'm always thinking of miss Ethel and miss babe !
BillPalmer

Snellville, GA

#18685 May 1, 2014
Hey Travis, thanks for the additional information. I looked at the triple deckers on Smith Street and it is likely that is where I saw Dorothy rousing her gang members to come after me (I was only 5 or 6 at the time). I remember a bunch of kids raiding a big cherry tree we had in our side yard around that same time, that might have been her gang as well.
MIKE BUJNOWSKI

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#18686 May 4, 2014
50s Cruisin wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, SLA, I remember Jimmy, too. Painting bridges wasn't the only way Strules made a living, as i'm sure you know. I first sang with Bucky and the 5 Jays at the Laconia, and at The Top Hat on the Lowell-Lawrence Blv'd. The Hideaway was on Middle St., next to The Mark V. I'm still having trouble comprehending that Bucky has passed. I never saw an obituary, and I figured it would be a big deal around Lowell.
8660 full house, right?
BUCKY IS ALIVE AND WELL !!!!
MIKE BUJNOWSKI

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#18687 May 4, 2014
BUCKY AUGER IS ALIVE AND WELL AND LIVES WITH MY MOM PAULINE IN FLORIDA NOV-APR....THEN THEY LIVE IN WESTFORD DURING THE SUMMER....CLOSE FRIEND OF MINE...WE ALWAYS WATCH THE SUPER BOWL TOGETHER.....
Highlands Guy

Largo, FL

#18688 May 5, 2014
BillPalmer wrote:
Hey Travis, thanks for the additional information. I looked at the triple deckers on Smith Street and it is likely that is where I saw Dorothy rousing her gang members to come after me (I was only 5 or 6 at the time). I remember a bunch of kids raiding a big cherry tree we had in our side yard around that same time, that might have been her gang as well.

I wonder what a 5-6 yr. old kid could possibly do to upset a gang like the HOBO's, what did you do that they wanted you so badly to chase you to your front door??

Since: Jul 11

Snellville, GA

#18689 May 5, 2014
Highlands Guy......I have often wondered about that myself. The only incident I can remember is when a bunch of kids came into our yard to raid the big cherry tree, I told my mother and she came out and chased them away. Those kids had to be from the neighborhood so maybe they were from the Hobos and that is what got Dorothy riled up at me.
I would really like to meet up with her and ask her, if she has any recollections left.
50s cruisin

Wolfeboro, NH

#18690 May 17, 2014
MIKE BUJNOWSKI wrote:
BUCKY AUGER IS ALIVE AND WELL AND LIVES WITH MY MOM PAULINE IN FLORIDA NOV-APR....THEN THEY LIVE IN WESTFORD DURING THE SUMMER....CLOSE FRIEND OF MINE...WE ALWAYS WATCH THE SUPER BOWL TOGETHER.....
Mike, there's a schlonk on here who says he's Bucky's cousin, who has been claiming that Bucky died a couple of years ago. I know better because my ex sees him from time to time when he comes back from Florida. Back in the day, I fronted Bucky's Big Band, along with Huck Finneral, and worked, off and on, with Bucky and the 5 Jays, also. If you talk to him, please tell him that Brian Murphy sends his best. I check this site every now and then, but not often because of all the juvenile infighting B.S. that goes on between the schlonk and anyone that disagrees with him. Take care.
50s cruisin

Wolfeboro, NH

#18691 May 17, 2014
Highlands Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey! H G, I was a member of The Bulldogs in the 50s. We operated around Chuck's Corner. We had a little run in with L.P.D. one night, and it got written up in THE SUN, comparing us to another Highlands gang, which I believe was the Smiths. From what we heard about the Smith Gang, you're right that we were "puppy dogs by comparison". But, I'll bet we had better looking jackets than the Smiths had...if they had any. Since you know about The Bulldogs, i'm wondering if maybe we know each other, or if you knew any of the Bulldogs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dracut Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
lowell crime stories as remebered by residents (Jul '08) 5 hr Answers4Janice 806
I love kickboxing Methuen MA is amazing! Feb 23 Lauren M 1
Who is Matthew Borges? Feb 23 Blah 35
Low Frequency Hum - Industrial Noise? (Mar '10) Feb 22 jazzdc 54
Tommy Ellis - Ding Ding (Nov '10) Feb 18 Highlands kid 19
News Billerica man held in alleged assault (Jul '08) Feb 18 Billyrica 33
News Police arrest log (Dec '10) Feb 13 sammy 9

Dracut Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dracut Mortgages