Comments
17,501 - 17,520 of 17,792 Comments Last updated 36 min ago
Sla

Lowell, MA

#18423 May 24, 2013
Market Street wrote:
It is a great city, but one that is forever changed.
I grew up on Market St. Almost on the corner of Salem and MARKET. About 80 feet from NAPS.
Would you mind telling me how old you are.
Maybe we know the same people. Thanks.
SLA, I am 58 I lived at 56 market st, right on the corner diagonnaly across from Naps.
Market ST. How old were you when you moved out of 56 Market ST.?
Sally Stickney Cockerline

Nashua, NH

#18424 May 29, 2013
Not that old wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh boy, I remember the Heritage.
And, I think it was the Wamesit Drive In
I worked at Mossie's in the '80's. It started on Paige street then moved to Merrimack Street. The owner, was a great guy to the customers but not so much to the staff. I agree, not so old.
washington state cougar

Spokane, WA

#18425 May 29, 2013
nice to see new folks on this forum.everything fine up,except the weather.FR,are you folks back up in NE?do you remember a steak sandwich place in the highlands called MARIO'S?they were located next to cumberland,at westford and stevens streets?they'd cut a pita bread in half,then roll the pita bread up with the steak inside.i remember one of the owners name was larry.they had some local kid who managed the shop.ANYONE remember this place? just talking about it makes me hungry,so off to the kitchen i go.
Sla

Lowell, MA

#18426 May 30, 2013
Sally Stickney Cockerline wrote:
<quoted text>
I worked at Mossie's in the '80's. It started on Paige street then moved to Merrimack Street. The owner, was a great guy to the customers but not so much to the staff. I agree, not so old.
Mossies' is out of business . His brother took it over. But it went down fast. Never thought much of the food.
He sure like to show off t bird. rings on all his fingers,
The older he got the flashier he got.

Florida Retiree

Largo, FL

#18427 May 31, 2013
washington state cougar wrote:
nice to see new folks on this forum.everything fine up,except the weather.FR,are you folks back up in NE?do you remember a steak sandwich place in the highlands called MARIO'S?they were located next to cumberland,at westford and stevens streets?they'd cut a pita bread in half,then roll the pita bread up with the steak inside.i remember one of the owners name was larry.they had some local kid who managed the shop.ANYONE remember this place? just talking about it makes me hungry,so off to the kitchen i go.
Hi Cougar, will be in NE in July, don't remember that place at all, must have been after my time. Tommy Gills was on the corner of Westford and Stevens.
washington state cougar

Spokane, WA

#18428 May 31, 2013
this place mario's was right next door to cumberland farms,across from tommy gilis's store.this place was tucked in the corner.i guess you could say that it was across the street from blake's funeral house.there was a t.v.place right next door for tommy's.when did you leave the highlands?these places were there from the early sixties,to the end of the sixties,i think.i was already in the navy.when i came back on leave for woodstock in sixty-nine i think tommy's was still there.i got two woodstock posters from gill's front window,or he t.v shop next door.i can't remember.hello SLA,TOMMY,CRUSIN,WONDERING and all the rest of you folks.i'm having a new deck being built,right above my old office so if the spelling is off,thats the reason.take care.
Florida Retiree

Largo, FL

#18429 May 31, 2013
this place mario's was right next door to cumberland farms,across from tommy gilis's store.this place was tucked in the corner.i guess you could say that it was across the street from blake's funeral house.there was a t.v.place right next door for tommy's.when did you leave the highlands?these places were there from the early sixties,to the end of the sixties,i think.i was already in the navy.when i came back on leave for woodstock in sixty-nine i think tommy's was still there.i got two woodstock posters from gill's front window,or he t.v shop next door.i can't remember.hello SLA,TOMMY,CRUSIN,WONDERING and all the rest of you folks.i'm having a new deck being built,right above my old office so if the spelling is off,thats the reason.take care.
Oh Ok,that used to be a Pizza place I forgot the name of it, never been there.
It was Shanahan's TV Store next to Tommy Gills and the beauty shop on the other side.
Sla

Lowell, MA

#18430 May 31, 2013
Hello Cougar Glad to see you on here. I think the place you are talking about is now a donut shop..
Tim

Concord, MA

#18431 Jun 13, 2013
I remember old Lowell bull winkles on Lawrence st. The old arcade third world. Hi hat the old arcade on bridge st there is a monument there now. Arthur's dinner"boot mill" record lane... Ohh ya baby!!!
Jojo

Lowell, MA

#18432 Jun 14, 2013
Tim wrote:
I remember old Lowell bull winkles on Lawrence st. The old arcade third world. Hi hat the old arcade on bridge st there is a monument there now. Arthur's dinner"boot mill" record lane... Ohh ya baby!!!
Bullwinkels.
Did you know the Bodries, Mike Landry, Timmy Paige.?
Sla

Lowell, MA

#18433 Jun 16, 2013
Happy Fathers day to all the Fathers.

And if you are a MOM who had no help rom the Father. Happy Fathers day to you.
Florida Retiree

Largo, FL

#18434 Jun 17, 2013
Jojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullwinkels.
Did you know the Bodries, Mike Landry, Timmy Paige.?
Phil Marshall was the owner and good guy.
Jojo

Lowell, MA

#18435 Jun 17, 2013
Florida Retiree wrote:
<quoted text>
Phil Marshall was the owner and good guy.
I didn't know his name. But he was a nice person.
Former Billerica Resident

Orleans, IN

#18436 Jun 22, 2013
1973-1974 possibly. Anyone remember 'The Circle', where kids hung out?
Bakersdz

Concord, MA

#18437 Jul 7, 2013
How about Price's Bakery On Chelmsford st, Great Bread and pastry was baed fresh every day
Janet Simard DiLisio

Spring Hill, FL

#18438 Jul 8, 2013
Bakersdz wrote:
How about Price's Bakery On Chelmsford st, Great Bread and pastry was baed fresh every day
When I was a young teen we would peek in the baking part to see the donuts and most of the time one of the guys would give us a free one.Loved thier little tarts.Mrs Havery worked there for years
Dennis

Fort Wayne, IN

#18439 Jul 8, 2013
The chinese restaurant upstairs from fanny farmer was called the Royal Pagoda
Lowell wrote:
<quoted text> My sister just mentioned that the other day...she remembers rthe store as well! Does anyone remember the Green Stamps?
Sla

Lowell, MA

#18440 Jul 8, 2013
Dennis wrote:
The chinese restaurant upstairs from fanny farmer was called the Royal Pagoda
<quoted text>
Sorry to say you are wrong.
It was Chin Lees.

Since: Jul 13

Concord, NH

#18441 Jul 15, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
What a blast from the past this page has been.
Here are some of my favorite memories of Lowell.
Nap's variety store, great penny candy, right next to Michaels ice cream.
Sweetland Gardens, Poiriers Hobby shop. This was when I was real little. Moved to Marshall st, then Sacred Heart area, and eventually South Lowell.
We moved out of the projects on Market st, and right next to the Hells Angels when the lived at the corner of Branch and Middlesex, poor Mom couldn't get a break.Seeing the H.A.'s actually got me into motorcycles, even to this day.
Maries Oyster house having the best fried fish ever. Scary that I could see the Laconia, Sokol's, the White Eagle, and Laconia from my living room window.
Sad to see that Butler Jr. High is now vacant, I remember how Mr. Hopler took us all skiing up at Gunstock. Still skiing Hop, RIP
So many comments on this thread, that brought back memories, from "ding-ding" to South Lowell, it all seemed like yesterday.
Some of my favorite LHS teachers, the Borst brothers, Katherine Hammersley, George Bossi,
Played a lot of pick up basketball with kids on Lawrence st, Eugene Alexander, one of my favorite people of all time was unstoppable. And funnier than anyone I ever met. Saw him crawl through the window at ULowell to see a concert once,right before the band came onstage.
Anyone remember Dan's variety on Andrews st? Dan would spit every third word, and had a finger or two with the tip missing. Could pull a Coke out of an old cooler with water at the bottom.
Would play rubber ball with Father Gorham in the parking lot of Sacred Heart, nice sliding into second on the hot top.
My kids crack up when I tell them how so many kids had two names, Ray-Ray, Bam-Bam, Ki-Ki, Joe-Joe, and Cubby, but I knew two Cubbies, and two guys with the same unusual name and personalities, Frank Strykowski. No place like Lowell back in the day.
Anonymous-I see some names that I recognize from your post and would like to know if we have some common friends. Your references to two-named kids really caught my eye. Would I be correct with the last names of the following:(I am only going to use the first 2 or 3 letters to protect their privacy)Ray-Ray & Bam-Bam Ram***, Ki-Ki Ru**, Joe-Joe Lip***, and Cubby Gre*******. Don't know who the other Cubby might be. Also in a later post you mention a few things that are part of my past. Oliviera Park and 3am Billerica Forum. I grew up in the Prince Spaghettiville section (Flats) and played at the Oliviera (Chamber's) park as well (Go Oaks!!!). I also played many a game at The Forum in pick-up games as well as a referee. You mention the Sacred Heart area which SO many little league kids came from (John McA******, Mike Und*****) were a few a remember. My coach, Bob Paq*** was from around there too. Not sure if you want to reveal much about yourself as to give yourself away. Id be OK with that realizing not wanting to put yourself "out there" too much. But it was fun to read your post and see a few things that were very specific to me. Hope to see some kind of reply in the future. Thanks Anonymous!!!
dover st

North Reading, MA

#18442 Jul 15, 2013
Grew up on Dover St. early 60's mid 70's I know all those places very well. Grew up on the corner of Dover and Middlesex

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dracut Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Billerica crim,e 70s 80s 90s (Jul '08) Wed GiovanniTheGreat 335
Massachusetts' ballot is stacked for voters Aug 24 Jtn 1
Fireworks? Aug 23 alicew234 1
lowell crime stories as remebered by residents (Jul '08) Aug 23 Ur worst nightmare 672
Tyngsboro Music Selection (Aug '12) Aug 21 Musikologist 17
Gangs of Lowell in the 90s. (Jul '08) Aug 21 Washed up 130
Market Basket ready to hire Aug 21 Pajama People 21
•••

Dracut News Video

•••
Dracut Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Dracut Jobs

•••