|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

Judged:

EdS wrote:
Anyone remember the name of the night club that was near the Brunswick bowling lanes in the late 60's early 70's? Not sure of it's exact location, but I know it was in that area.
Any old slot car racers out there, I believe the track options were Mr. Raceway on Central St. and Fletcher's in a building at the foot of the Lourdes overpass right on the canal across the street from Howdy Beefburgers?
How about model builders, remember Poirier's hobby shop?
Yes I remember Fletchers. And Poirier's lived right around the corner.
Sla

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

Judged:

Tommyboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Cinnamon Lounge - Used to be Happy Helen's.
Were you been Tommy.?
washington state cougar

Spokane, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

hope this post finds everyone in good health.it's nice to see new folks on here.FLA,i see another CALLERY,has passed away.being a highlands lad,i knew the family.i think mr callery passed away not to long ago.did you know the family?the high on tuesday will be fifty-two.you folks have a good day.PS,the princess says hello.she had three teeth pulled when she had her teeth cleaned a few weeks ago.
Janet Simard DiLisio

Spring Hill, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

EdS wrote:
<quoted text>
Not me, but my dad was a frequent patron.
I might know him LOL
Sla

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

washington state cougar wrote:
hope this post finds everyone in good health.it's nice to see new folks on here.FLA,i see another CALLERY,has passed away.being a highlands lad,i knew the family.i think mr callery passed away not to long ago.did you know the family?the high on tuesday will be fifty-two.you folks have a good day.PS,the princess says hello.she had three teeth pulled when she had her teeth cleaned a few weeks ago.
Glad to hear from you. How is Cheri doing?
Florida Retiree

Largo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

washington state cougar wrote:
Yes, I knew the family. Seems back then you knew most everyone in your neighborhood. The highlands central point was Cupples Sq. that's where most everyone did their food shopping and you'd go downtown for anything else. Today it's called Little Cambodia I believe.
Tommyboy

Largo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Sla wrote:
<quoted text>
Were you been Tommy.?
Been shack'en up with the X and my Ma is still driving me crazy.
Sla

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Tommyboy wrote:
<quoted text> Been shack'en up with the X and my Ma is still driving me crazy.
Tommy ride any whales lately. lmao.
Tommyboy

Largo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Sla wrote:
<quoted text>
Tommy ride any whales lately. lmao.
I was out there the other day, had me a risky one kept on div'in up and down thought I was on mule or sumtin. The X got me doin all the cookin these days not much time for the flee markets you noe
Anonymous

Hampton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

What a blast from the past this page has been.

Here are some of my favorite memories of Lowell.

Nap's variety store, great penny candy, right next to Michaels ice cream.

Sweetland Gardens, Poiriers Hobby shop. This was when I was real little. Moved to Marshall st, then Sacred Heart area, and eventually South Lowell.

We moved out of the projects on Market st, and right next to the Hells Angels when the lived at the corner of Branch and Middlesex, poor Mom couldn't get a break.Seeing the H.A.'s actually got me into motorcycles, even to this day.

Maries Oyster house having the best fried fish ever. Scary that I could see the Laconia, Sokol's, the White Eagle, and Laconia from my living room window.

Sad to see that Butler Jr. High is now vacant, I remember how Mr. Hopler took us all skiing up at Gunstock. Still skiing Hop, RIP

So many comments on this thread, that brought back memories, from "ding-ding" to South Lowell, it all seemed like yesterday.

Some of my favorite LHS teachers, the Borst brothers, Katherine Hammersley, George Bossi,

Played a lot of pick up basketball with kids on Lawrence st, Eugene Alexander, one of my favorite people of all time was unstoppable. And funnier than anyone I ever met. Saw him crawl through the window at ULowell to see a concert once,right before the band came onstage.

Anyone remember Dan's variety on Andrews st? Dan would spit every third word, and had a finger or two with the tip missing. Could pull a Coke out of an old cooler with water at the bottom.

Would play rubber ball with Father Gorham in the parking lot of Sacred Heart, nice sliding into second on the hot top.

My kids crack up when I tell them how so many kids had two names, Ray-Ray, Bam-Bam, Ki-Ki, Joe-Joe, and Cubby, but I knew two Cubbies, and two guys with the same unusual name and personalities, Frank Strykowski. No place like Lowell back in the day.
Florida Retiree

Largo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Market Street wrote:
What a blast from the past this page has been.
Here are some of my favorite memories of Lowell.
Nap's variety store, great penny candy, right next to Michaels ice cream.
Sweetland Gardens, Poiriers Hobby shop. This was when I was real little. Moved to Marshall st, then Sacred Heart area, and eventually South Lowell.
We moved out of the projects on Market st, and right next to the Hells Angels when the lived at the corner of Branch and Middlesex, poor Mom couldn't get a break.Seeing the H.A.'s actually got me into motorcycles, even to this day.
Maries Oyster house having the best fried fish ever. Scary that I could see the Laconia, Sokol's, the White Eagle, and Laconia from my living room window.
Sad to see that Butler Jr. High is now vacant, I remember how Mr. Hopler took us all skiing up at Gunstock. Still skiing Hop, RIP
So many comments on this thread, that brought back memories, from "ding-ding" to South Lowell, it all seemed like yesterday.
Some of my favorite LHS teachers, the Borst brothers, Katherine Hammersley, George Bossi,
Played a lot of pick up basketball with kids on Lawrence st, Eugene Alexander, one of my favorite people of all time was unstoppable. And funnier than anyone I ever met. Saw him crawl through the window at ULowell to see a concert once,right before the band came onstage.
Anyone remember Dan's variety on Andrews st? Dan would spit every third word, and had a finger or two with the tip missing. Could pull a Coke out of an old cooler with water at the bottom.
Would play rubber ball with Father Gorham in the parking lot of Sacred Heart, nice sliding into second on the hot top.
My kids crack up when I tell them how so many kids had two names, Ray-Ray, Bam-Bam, Ki-Ki, Joe-Joe, and Cubby, but I knew two Cubbies, and two guys with the same unusual name and personalities, Frank Strykowski. No place like Lowell back in the day.
It was a pleasure reading your post and even more pleasurable that there are folks like us out there that remember when Lowell was Lowell. It's not the same in the city now, currently they are discussing if people in the city can raise chickens in their back yards instead of addressing more important issues like moving the Lowell Plan forward and revitalizing the downtown instead of letting the buildings decay. Lowell has changed and we'll never see it return sorry to say.
Anonymous

Hampton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

The Lowell I knew is gone forever, but that applies to the rest of the world as well, things are changing and not for the good in my view.
Some more of my favorite things about L.A.(the Lowell Area)
LHS basketball games, Bilby and co.
Eliots hot dog stand.
Hippies hanging at the shed park bath house.
Flag Football (why do men play without pads?)
Peter Garcia playing harmonica in English
Martins clothing store.
Parrott Hatters on Middlesex st, still got the scalley cap.
Lucy Larcom park, and all the pretty LHS girls.
The wall at McPherson field
Hockey at 3 a.m., at Billerica forum
The Jade East
Oliviera Little League
Watching Blackstock pull wheelies on Kirk st.
Playing basketball at the old YMCA
Meadow Land ice cream.
Drinking my first beer at the Old Worthen
Mr. O'Dea from BJHS
Trying to clear the old wood bridge on Boylston st.
Neighborhoods where I would walk casually through years ago, are no longer safe, or the same. Its sad I remember walking to the Strand,or Keith Theater's as a kid, not concerned about much more than the movie. Walking up Market, or Merrimac street were normal. I knew enough to keep away from the Cosmo, and Moosehead, but there were so many bars in walking distance it was unavoidable.
It is a great city, but one that is forever changed.
Kay Quinn

Haverhill, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Dracut Retiree - wrote:
I worked at Liggett's during the 60's and loved watching people come downtown on Sat. to do their shopping, it was like an outdoor mall! You saw everyone you knew, stopped, talked had a laugh. Oh, how grand Lowell was in those days.......
The youth today will never know what a "Downtown" was really like.

My father was a pharmacist for years st Liggett's you probably knew him,(Bill Quinn) He passed away when I was sixteen I'll be 56 in August. I remember on Saturdays walking downtown with my friends and my dad would buy all of us whatever we wanted at the soda fountain (after going to the "Strand Theatre" of course). Back then there was only one pharmacist not like CVS is today! My dad had a great sense of humor and was very well known in Lowell,MA. If you remember my father and have any stories you can share with me, I'd love to hear from you. He was only 53 when he passed away. I'll always miss him. Please get back to me. e-mail address: Ghankay2@comcast.ne
Florida Retiree

Largo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Kay Quinn wrote:
<quoted text>
My father was a pharmacist for years st Liggett's you probably knew him,(Bill Quinn) He passed away when I was sixteen I'll be 56 in August. I remember on Saturdays walking downtown with my friends and my dad would buy all of us whatever we wanted at the soda fountain (after going to the "Strand Theatre" of course). Back then there was only one pharmacist not like CVS is today! My dad had a great sense of humor and was very well known in Lowell,MA. If you remember my father and have any stories you can share with me, I'd love to hear from you. He was only 53 when he passed away. I'll always miss him. Please get back to me. e-mail address: Ghankay2@comcast.ne

I remember Bill Q. quite well, he was real gentleman and a pleasure to work with, smoked a lot I believe. There was also another pharmacist named Armand Landry, short guy rather chubby, they both worked together. The store was sold to a guy named Paul Gendron(sp) who was not a likeable guy at all and not nice to work for, many of us left.
Florida Retiree

Largo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Kay, please do not give out too much info on yourself as this Forum has quite a few screwballs on it. Please be careful what personal info you disclose on here.

We all enjoyed working with your Father very much, just a nice man that we would do anything for, he always took care of us guys too. God Bless you!
Sla

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Market Street wrote:
The Lowell I knew is gone forever, but that applies to the rest of the world as well, things are changing and not for the good in my view.
Some more of my favorite things about L.A.(the Lowell Area)
LHS basketball games, Bilby and co.
Eliots hot dog stand.
Hippies hanging at the shed park bath house.
Flag Football (why do men play without pads?)
Peter Garcia playing harmonica in English
Martins clothing store.
Parrott Hatters on Middlesex st, still got the scalley cap.
Lucy Larcom park, and all the pretty LHS girls.
The wall at McPherson field
Hockey at 3 a.m., at Billerica forum
The Jade East
Oliviera Little League
Watching Blackstock pull wheelies on Kirk st.
Playing basketball at the old YMCA
Meadow Land ice cream.
Drinking my first beer at the Old Worthen
Mr. O'Dea from BJHS
Trying to clear the old wood bridge on Boylston st.
Neighborhoods where I would walk casually through years ago, are no longer safe, or the same. Its sad I remember walking to the Strand,or Keith Theater's as a kid, not concerned about much more than the movie. Walking up Market, or Merrimac street were normal. I knew enough to keep away from the Cosmo, and Moosehead, but there were so many bars in walking distance it was unavoidable.
I grew up on Market St. Almost on the corner of Salem and MARKET. About 80 feet from NAPS.
Would you mind telling me how old you are.
Maybe we know the same people. Thanks.
Florida Retiree

Largo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Market Street... When I hear that all I can think of is how great those sandwich's were from the Pioneer, almost as good as the veal cutlets.

We used to order them from the A.F. Roach & Co. saloon next door and they'd open the trap door an push the food through so you could enjoy it with a cold draft beer, that's when Lowell was Lowell!
Anonymous

Hampton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

I grew up on Market St. Almost on the corner of Salem and MARKET. About 80 feet from NAPS.

SLA, I am 58 I lived at 56 market st, right on the corner diagonnaly across from Naps.
Sla

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Market Street wrote:
SLA, I am 58 I lived at 56 market st, right on the corner diagonnaly across from Naps.
I' 71 so a little older then you. But I know what building you are talking about
I don't now if these people lived there when you lived there.
Timmy Lynch, Bob Hamel, Roger Landry, Charlene Hamel.
How about Charlie's Corner , Gills market, Garden florist, Nick the barber, Bobby Christaks. Groveland fruit, Demoulas Market.
Sla

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

I'm 71.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Dracut Discussions

Search the Dracut Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Low Frequency Hum - Industrial Noise? (Mar '10) Thu Zoelle 46
Tewksbury playground closed for summer renovations Wed Stan T 2
Council seeks cost of teaching immigrants Wed Demopukes Are Idiots 1
Ayer man jailed for stabbing girlfriend (Mar '10) Wed Craig 87 12
Jessica Krutuleski (Oct '12) Wed Not a Fan 24
MA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Massachus... (Oct '10) Jul 22 John 4,692
toh-doh Italian chocolate Christmas cookies Jul 20 Fred Murray 1
•••
•••

Dracut News Video

•••
•••

Dracut Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Dracut People Search