Chelmsford, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Florida Retiree wrote:
<quoted text> I remember all ofthat so well and buying my new Easter Duds from McQuades Basement and when we had more money over to Martin's. The Rag Man with his horse drawn wagon, that horse had to be a 80 yrs old back then I am sure he ended up at Old Mother Hubbards. LOL.....
The Spot and the Gay (GAI) Rendezvous!, The Casa Caliente!,
and Brunelle's Drug Store.
Lowell High Grad

Concord, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2013

Judged:

lowell wrote:
Does anyone remeber Mr. Casey, the accountant teacher? Or a Miss Kealy who taught English?
Mr. Kealy taught English. His then wife, Mrs. Kealy taught history.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2013

There was a man that I remember. He had no legs, sold pencils out of a cup and pushed himself around on a wooden dolly with casters on it. Usually saw him in front of Woolworth's and Kresge's.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2013

There was another guy that used to walk up to people and hand them a card that said he was deaf and dumb in hopes of getting a handout.
Sla

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2013

Judged:

Wondering wrote:
There was another guy that used to walk up to people and hand them a card that said he was deaf and dumb in hopes of getting a handout.
I remember that guy. But I don't remember the other one.
I always wondered if that guy was really deaf and dumb.
I remember a kid a kid hitting a metal pole with a rock.
making a loud noise. But the guy never turned to look.
TheRetiree

Largo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2013

Judged:

Whatever happened to Depot Annie, she must have goosed a million people with her umbrella! LOL...

I remember both guys in front of the 5&10's.
old lowellite

Long Branch, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

What about the Hi-Hat Roller Skating rink? Is that still around?
Spear House

Brockton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Jabba wrote:
Does anyone recall the little place on the Blvd across from the Spear House, If I'm not mistaken it was called Peter Pans wasn't it ?
No, Peter Pan's was next door to the Spear House. Peter Pan's was a chicken place. Home of the famous broasted chicken and potatoes. The Spear House was a formal restaurant/banquet facility.
jackie

Santa Barbara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

i remember marshalls dance studio...two old ladies taught there...they were sisters..lol
jackie

Santa Barbara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

anyone remember captain pizza and russell stovers at the corner.....
EdS

Haverhill, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

OG Frank wrote:
There used to be a bowling alley across the street from Towers News, in a basement. I forget the name of that place.
I believe it was Brentwood lanes, and there were also 2 watering holes, Mellos and Nicks.
EdS

Haverhill, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Anyone remember McGees drug store with soda fountain at the corner of Dover and Branch? There was also a variety store a little west at the corner of Stevens and Middlesex, I'm thinking something like Durant's but I'm not sure. How about Joe's variety store on Walker Street between Middlesex and Branch. Anyone remember the name of the liquor store at the Branch and Middlesex fork (west side). How about kids diving off the top of Red bridge into the canal below, crazy!! Anyone ever go sledding on the hill at the intersection of Wilder and Middlesex or the double hill behind what was then State Teachers College, formerly the Normal school, now UMass? How about the Hood's distribution center on Walker street or the gas field with the fresh water spring? Manzi Dodge, E.A. Wilson's concrete, Michael's variety store next to the original George's pizza location all on Broadway. I can't leave out Burbeck's ice cream at Pawtucket and Walker.
EdS

Haverhill, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Lowell High Grad wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Kealy taught English. His then wife, Mrs. Kealy taught history.
There was also a Jocelyn Kealy that taught at LHS, I remember she drove an Olds 442.
EdS

Haverhill, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

old lowellite wrote:
What about the Hi-Hat Roller Skating rink? Is that still around?
The Hi-Hat was a blast (you do the Hokey-Pokey and you turn yourself around). Look here to view an old Hi-Hat post card;

http://postcards.bidstart.com/RP-HI-HAT-Roll-...
Janet Simard DiLisio

Spring Hill, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

EdS wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe it was Brentwood lanes, and there were also 2 watering holes, Mellos and Nicks.
Mellos was a fun place before all the drugs and Nickie's was not my kind of place but your right about the bowling place.Did you ever go to Mellos in the mid 1970?
caliche

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2013

Bananas downtown
EdS

Haverhill, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2013

Janet Simard DiLisio wrote:
<quoted text>Mellos was a fun place before all the drugs and Nickie's was not my kind of place but your right about the bowling place.Did you ever go to Mellos in the mid 1970?
Not me, but my dad was a frequent patron.
EdS

Haverhill, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2013

Anyone remember the name of the night club that was near the Brunswick bowling lanes in the late 60's early 70's? Not sure of it's exact location, but I know it was in that area.

Any old slot car racers out there, I believe the track options were Mr. Raceway on Central St. and Fletcher's in a building at the foot of the Lourdes overpass right on the canal across the street from Howdy Beefburgers?

How about model builders, remember Poirier's hobby shop?
Tommyboy

Largo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

EdS wrote:
Anyone remember the name of the night club that was near the Brunswick bowling lanes in the late 60's early 70's? Not sure of it's exact location, but I know it was in that area.
Any old slot car racers out there, I believe the track options were Mr. Raceway on Central St. and Fletcher's in a building at the foot of the Lourdes overpass right on the canal across the street from Howdy Beefburgers?
How about model builders, remember Poirier's hobby shop?
Cinnamon Lounge - Used to be Happy Helen's.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Dracut Discussions

Search the Dracut Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
MA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Massachus... (Oct '10) 4 hr jimmietsen 4,698
MA Who do you support for Governor in Massachusett... (Oct '10) 5 hr Dale Craven 1,152
Market Basket ready to hire 8 hr Gomez 1
Jessica Krutuleski (Oct '12) 23 hr Concerned 25
Dracut cop caught Wed Really 3
Where are Lowell's most haunted places? (Jun '08) Jul 28 joe 814
Review: Lowell Therapeutic Massage (Aug '10) Jul 28 Intrigued client 34
•••
•••

Dracut News Video

•••
•••

Dracut Jobs

•••