Doors close on Tewksbury detox facility

Doors close on Tewksbury detox facility

There are 202 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Dec 29, 2010, titled Doors close on Tewksbury detox facility. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

The region's only in-patient detoxification facility will close its doors today, after last-ditch efforts to keep the facility open into the new year failed.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

AND

AOL

#21 Dec 29, 2010
kim wrote:
figures, tewksbury town employees, stole so much money, now they do not even have the power at the state level, to keep a ficility open that helps people in our town,and other nearby towns,what is john sullivan stealing now, from tewksbury state hospital, he has stolen plenty from that state ficility,he should be locked up there.
???????
lynn

Billerica, MA

#22 Dec 29, 2010
As a person who worked at Tewksbury Detox for 10 years I can tell you this is very sad. Whether or not it is a disease who cares all I know is plenty of people are dying everyday from there drug or alcohol use. When it happens to you or a family member you won't be debating if it is a disease or a choice. I know that the detox helped many people and saved many lives. It will be missed and there are 50 more people to add to the unemployment lines. This is just another example of human services getting kicked to the curb. People who work in human services don't do it for the money. They do it because it is rewarding and it gives them a sense of pride to help the sick and suffering. I just can't believe some of the previous comments I have read above. Please people get some education about addiction and work with someone who is addicted and finds recovery then tell me how you feel.
mee55

Billerica, MA

#23 Dec 29, 2010
I am reading a lot of posts from people that have no heart or soul. Cynical disdain for people unlike yourself whom you cannot understand they reason they are the way they are. It's sad. Bitterness must have been put upon you for you have no compassion for another human being. REAL diseases like cancer happens because of the food we eat .. is that then just a choice too?? It's not that black and white. It's make the cynic come out in me and want to call all of those hateful people what they really are... Republicans!
Always an Acre boy

Gaithersburg, MD

#24 Dec 30, 2010
snow wrote:
It should stay closed...If the clients are coming from Lowell then open up a detox facility there and keep them away from tewksbury
How do you know they're not coming from Arlignton, or Tewksbury, or Billerica? The patients come from all over.
lowell girl

Andover, MA

#25 Dec 30, 2010
I worked at the detox for some time and I know it will be missed. There are hundreds of people out there that need help and hopefully the new facility will open soon. This is the end of an era that alot of people are very grateful for, myself included. Hope all works out for the employees and future patients.
BLAH

United States

#26 Dec 30, 2010
Jason Stackhouse wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a waste of sperm my friend.
mee55 wrote:
It makes the cynic come out in me and want to call all of those hateful people what they really are... Republicans!
I second that!
lowell girl

Andover, MA

#27 Dec 30, 2010
I agree. I couldn't have said it better myself. People, look around you. Addiction is everywhere.
Dr B family wrote:
<quoted text>
AND.... I hope the day never comes for you when you have a loved one who is sooo hooked on alcohol or drugs that they would sell their soul to the devil to get another bottle or drug... I hope the day never comes when you see a loved one suffer DT's (delirium tremmors) to the point where they seize or lapse into a coma.. I cannot stand the ignorance of people who don't get it and yes I called you ignorant.. Until you live the hell of a family member who is powerless over seeing their loved one slowly dying because they cannot stop because they are soo hooked to the heroin,crack,oxy's,booze,meth, pot,coke it's not so simple as you believe to just stop. It's a disease that can kill just ask those who couldn't stop drinking until it was too late... Digest that and rant on because I think you need to really look into what a addict/alcohol goes thru.
tiger

Winchester, MA

#28 Dec 30, 2010
If you have never lost a family member to this disease you should not comment on what you do not know. I will say I may have thought the same as you at one point in my life until I lived it. R.I.P Thomas!
Jason Stackhose

West Newton, MA

#29 Dec 30, 2010
AND wrote:
<quoted text>
Well Jason do what your mother does.....$uck it up!!!
Good one! Thank god I'm not an ignorant, idiotic, pathetic, and close-minded, person such as yourself. I'd rather have a mother that "sucks it up" because that is a given.

I won't even waste any more typing on you because you couldn't even comprehend an intelligent remark anyway.
Hangem High

Chelmsford, MA

#30 Dec 30, 2010
Close all the detox centers. I would rather spend my tax dollars educating children and taking care of people that do not suffer from self-inflicted problems and addictions. Detox is only one place where we spend money on these parasites. How much do we spend on Hepatitus, AIDS and Cirrhosis of the liver? And don't forget the so-called Social workers who make a living off these people. Just remember, no one held them down and poured alcohol down their throats, and no one held them down and stuck a needle in their arm. A nice big circle of people stealing from the taxpayer. The more addicts they find, the more people on the public payroll. How much money does the average addict collect from the taxpayer? Detox costs, hospital costs, drug/medicine costs, welfare/SSI or whatever they are calling it now, food stamps, Social worker salaries and benefits, it goes on and on. Close them all!!!!!
townie

Nashua, NH

#31 Dec 30, 2010
Shamsmum wrote:
<quoted text>You have no idea what you are talking about! Have obviously never dealt firsthand with a friend or loved one with this problem.They are not "partying" their way through life, when drugs and/or alcohol begin to control your life you are not in a good and happy place in your life. The Detox did not give people "a legal fix" that would be a methadone clinic, they just help people DETOX or get the drugs and alcohol out of their systems without suffering potentially dangerous seizures or DTs , then offer them help to find further REHAB or Sober Living situations to help them with their sobriety.
I never had to deal with a freind or loved one with substance abuse problems. My freinds and family had to deal with me. I was the substance abuser. I quit the alcohol and various other substances ALL BY MYSELF WITH NO HELP FROM OTHERS AND NO ADDITIONAL BURDEN ON TAXPAYERS. I am qualified to speak the truth about substance abuse because I was there. I walked that walk.

So here is the truth. Substance abuse is a behavioral issue. It is not a disease as some of the bleading hearts around here would have you believe. In order to get your life back on track for good, you first have to stop ingesting the substances that are causing the problems. Junkies do not need a taxpayer funded "councelors" and other taxpayer funded substances to use as a crutch. They simply have to stop. If they are too weak to stop, then let Darwin take over and cull the weak from the herd.

The facility in Tewksbury was nothing more than an excuse factory for thoe who would land back there again and again. If those weklings had the backbone to bear the pain and discomfort they will experience with cold turkey withdrawals, they have the backbone to stay clean every day for the rest of their lives. The ones who lean on others and seak out counciling and methadone will ALWAYS go back to their old ways. You people who say you were cured of your alleged "disease" through counciling and methodone therapy WILL fail again. People like Mike J will fail again because he lacks the willpower to fix the problem himself. The ONLY way to be succesful at cleaning yourself up is to do it yourself. EVERY other method WILL eventually FAIL.

I am tired of helping the weak willed sissies who onstantly lean on others and are too afraid to risk the DTs and seizures involved with withdrawal. Grow a backbone or let Darwin's theory take you out.
Jason Stackhose

West Newton, MA

#32 Dec 30, 2010
Hangem High wrote:
How much do we spend on Hepatitus, AIDS and Cirrhosis of the liver?
Hepat-itis = "lnflammation of the liver"

not

Hepa"titus" = like the TV show

Go grab your remote and veg off into neverland dipsh1t....
Jason Stackhose

West Newton, MA

#33 Dec 30, 2010
townie wrote:
<quoted text>
I never had to deal with a freind or loved one with substance abuse problems. My freinds and family had to deal with me. I was the substance abuser. I quit the alcohol and various other substances ALL BY MYSELF WITH NO HELP FROM OTHERS AND NO ADDITIONAL BURDEN ON TAXPAYERS. I am qualified to speak the truth about substance abuse because I was there. I walked that walk.
So here is the truth. Substance abuse is a behavioral issue. It is not a disease as some of the bleading hearts around here would have you believe. In order to get your life back on track for good, you first have to stop ingesting the substances that are causing the problems. Junkies do not need a taxpayer funded "councelors" and other taxpayer funded substances to use as a crutch. They simply have to stop. If they are too weak to stop, then let Darwin take over and cull the weak from the herd.
The facility in Tewksbury was nothing more than an excuse factory for thoe who would land back there again and again. If those weklings had the backbone to bear the pain and discomfort they will experience with cold turkey withdrawals, they have the backbone to stay clean every day for the rest of their lives. The ones who lean on others and seak out counciling and methadone will ALWAYS go back to their old ways. You people who say you were cured of your alleged "disease" through counciling and methodone therapy WILL fail again. People like Mike J will fail again because he lacks the willpower to fix the problem himself. The ONLY way to be succesful at cleaning yourself up is to do it yourself. EVERY other method WILL eventually FAIL.
I am tired of helping the weak willed sissies who onstantly lean on others and are too afraid to risk the DTs and seizures involved with withdrawal. Grow a backbone or let Darwin's theory take you out.
Yup, it's all about self-will... Really? Misinformed people all over this board....

Your 1 in a million buddy. Congratulations on your sobriety! Or do you still drink? Are you angry? Did you find Jesus?

C'mon, you should patent the "townie" method of abstinence,,,
townie

Nashua, NH

#34 Dec 30, 2010
Jason Stackhose wrote:
<quoted text>
Hepat-itis = "lnflammation of the liver"
not
Hepa"titus" = like the TV show
Go grab your remote and veg off into neverland dipsh1t....
It was a legitimate question. Your response demonstrates you have no good argument in support of dumping more money into catering to helpless, self destructive junkies.
Underdog Player

Malden, MA

#35 Dec 30, 2010
Jason Stackhose wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup, it's all about self-will... Really? Misinformed people all over this board....
Your 1 in a million buddy. Congratulations on your sobriety! Or do you still drink? Are you angry? Did you find Jesus?
C'mon, you should patent the "townie" method of abstinence,,,
I thought the guy made a great comment, and 100% truthful too.

All you are doing is embarrassing yourself by insulting everybody here who is proving you wrong or diasagreeing with you.

Grow up.
Underdog Player

Malden, MA

#36 Dec 30, 2010
townie wrote:
<quoted text>
Great post!! Best one on the board.
LowellLady

Lowell, MA

#37 Dec 30, 2010
Now we will be able to move the shelter to tewksbury.....were it belongs...
Jason Stackhouse

West Newton, MA

#38 Dec 30, 2010
Underdog Player wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought the guy made a great comment, and 100% truthful too.
All you are doing is embarrassing yourself by insulting everybody here who is proving you wrong or diasagreeing with you.
Grow up.
Maybe if I agreed that addiction is a choice, I might agree with your statement. It is his and your opinion that is embarrasing. It is a medical FACT that addiction is a disease. So, that being said, any argument that has to do with "moral issues" and "choices" is invalid. It you choose to believe it is not a disease, that is on you. I thought his post strayed from the issue and went on to self-indulgent and hateful rhetoric. It's okay though, we all can't be informed.
Jason Stackhouse

West Newton, MA

#39 Dec 30, 2010
By the way, "junkies" or "opiate addicts" do not suffer from DT's and seizures. Alcohol withdrawal causes these symptoms and even death (The same goes for Benzodiazapine withdrawal. I agree that Methadone is not the answer but, if it stops the spead of infectious disease and makes people stray away from crime, then so be it..
one who knows

Lowell, MA

#40 Dec 30, 2010
townie wrote:
<quoted text>
Congratulations for being one of the few to put down others who suffer from addiction when you yourself "claim" to be an ex-addict. How can you claim to be an addict and be so ignorant about addiction at the same time? Addiction is very complicated and not as black and white as simply putting down a substance or a drink. Perhaps you're not really an addict at all but just a loud mouth trying to prove a point?

Many people who suffer from addiction also suffer from depression, high stress professions and mental illness. Sometimes the addiction is a by product of living with chronic pain. Sometimes it's the result of a bad doctor who over-prescribed narcotics. Addicts are doctors, judges, teachers, law enforcement, nurses, politicians etc. They come from ALL walks of life. You obviously have no grasp on how the human mind works. There are millions of people who can vouch for programs like medically supervised detox coupled with AA and twelve step that have helped them live drug and alcohol free. Simply just stopping the use of substances and/or alcohol is not the end of addiction. Had you sought proper treatment perhaps you wouldn't be such an angry "dry drunk".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dracut Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
lowell crime stories as remebered by residents (Jul '08) 56 min Sheils 727
keno in massachusetts (Nov '08) Tue Yahoo 79
News Ex-Tewksbury tenants awarded $726G for mold ordeal (Mar '09) Jun 29 susan 31
News Lowell mother held without bail after fleeing f... Jun 29 hammerhead 1
Billerica crim,e 70s 80s 90s (Jul '08) Jun 28 donna 347
News Deja vu for driver in Lowell police chase (Jan '09) Jun 28 Full time creep 21
Do you remember???? (Jun '08) Jun 27 Wondering 17,887
More from around the web

Dracut People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Dracut Mortgages