Doors close on Tewksbury detox facility

Full story: Lowell Sun

The region's only in-patient detoxification facility will close its doors today, after last-ditch efforts to keep the facility open into the new year failed.
Comments
181 - 200 of 202 Comments Last updated Sep 7, 2013
PO Boy

Merrimack, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2011

Judged:

Old but Young at Heart wrote:
addict-To cause to become physiologically or psychologically dependent on a habit-forming substance.
addiction-1.a. Compulsive physiological and psychological need for a habit-forming substance: a drug used in the treatment of heroin addiction.
b. An instance of this: a person with multiple chemical addictions.
2.a. The condition of being habitually or compulsively occupied with or or involved in something.
Junkie-1.a narcotics addict, esp. one addicted to heroin
2.a person who is addicted to a specified interest, activity, food, etc
Idiot-1.Obsolete a retarded person mentally equal or inferior to a child two years old
2.a very foolish or stupid person
that is todays lesson for you townie and po boy
now study hard to get smarter thank you
Interesting choice of words.

"Addict, Addiction, Junkie, Idiot...."

Q: What do all of these words have in common?

A: They are all synonymous with each other.

That is today's lesson for you "Old but Young at Heart." Now, when you take your Methadone today, don't forget to include your ADD Medication as well. For if you are able to gain back that focus that has prevented you from getting your GED all of these years, you may actually be able to learn something.

That is, of course, if you don't make the "CHOICE" to go back on the street drugs that have killed so many of your brain cells already.
Old but Young at Heart

Sterling, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2011

Judged:

PO Boy wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting choice of words.
"Addict, Addiction, Junkie, Idiot...."
Q: What do all of these words have in common?
A: They are all synonymous with each other.
That is today's lesson for you "Old but Young at Heart." Now, when you take your Methadone today, don't forget to include your ADD Medication as well. For if you are able to gain back that focus that has prevented you from getting your GED all of these years, you may actually be able to learn something.
That is, of course, if you don't make the "CHOICE" to go back on the street drugs that have killed so many of your brain cells already.
Look at yourself stupid. I am a college graduate from middle class society. Yes I use to do drugs while i was working and no one caught on. At lease I am not stupid like you I have been clean now for 13+ yrs and sponsor others that need help. Do you need help getting an education or a job or help getting off the drugs? If you do I can sponsor you just ask. This is why we need to keep the detox facilities in our area to help people like you that live in a fantasy world and can not face the real world..please go back to sleep thank you!
PO Boy

Merrimack, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2011

Judged:

<quoted text>Look at yourself stupid. I am a college graduate from middle class society. Yes I use to do drugs while i was working and no one caught on. At lease I am not stupid like you I have been clean now for 13+ yrs and sponsor others that need help. Do you need help getting an education or a job or help getting off the drugs? If you do I can sponsor you just ask. This is why we need to keep the detox facilities in our area to help people like you that live in a fantasy world and can not face the real world..please go back to sleep thank you!
Congratulations on being "Clean" for 13+ years. You must be proud... Do you carry your little coins around and show them to all the grown-ups? People like you crack me up. You make a bad choice and then want to be congratulated for "Cleaning yourself up."

LMAO!!! I used to work at the very Detox that is spoken about in this article. I used to watch and help morons like you that made the wrong choices and took drugs. i left that job because I got tired of the sob stories and excuses of those that have simply made bad choices and wanted to be coddled and praised for turning themselves around. The fact of the matter is that if you weren't a moron in the first place, you wouldn't even have be in the predicament that you want to be praised for getting away from. So, you're not smart for getting away from it, your an idiot for putting yourself there in the first place.

ROFLMAO!!!??? "Middle Class Society" ???? What the heck are you trying to say there? Middle Class Society... That statement in and of itself shows that you're FOS. You're a "College Graduate from Middle Class Society?" ROFLMAO!!! Yeah right!

Face the real world? ROFLMAO AGAIN!!! What does that really mean to a junkie, you know, someone that has killed most of their brain cells with drugs anyway? I have no problem facing the world. In fact, unlike you, I never needed to choose drugs to escape the world.

Check you out! You sit here and say that you were dumb enough to take drugs and get hooked on it and it was somehow "OK" because "No one ever caught on." That's a very telling statement right there. Haven't you learned anything from your groups? Apparently not. You don't have a disease, your just weak and have poor impulse control. You go to your programs to help you justify that in your own mind.

Get a clue!
Skipper

Woburn, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2011

Judged:

<quoted text>Look at yourself stupid. I am a college graduate from middle class society. Yes I use to do drugs while i was working and no one caught on. At lease I am not stupid like you I have been clean now for 13+ yrs and sponsor others that need help. Do you need help getting an education or a job or help getting off the drugs? If you do I can sponsor you just ask. This is why we need to keep the detox facilities in our area to help people like you that live in a fantasy world and can not face the real world..please go back to sleep thank you!
Old, but young at heart??? Are you senile too?

You, like every other junkie, chose your path. You chose your "Disease." Unless you were a crack baby, then you are your own worst enemy-NO EXCUSES! You didn't have a disease like Cancer or something that is unavoidable. You are a drug addict! Regardless of how long you've been clean, you are nothing but a drug addict and Po Boy is right, you are,'F-O-S'

Do you expect to be commended for screwing up and then fixing it? Shove it! If someone pushed a guy in the river and then saved him, would you commend him for that?

Sounds like you spent too much time on the pipe.
former counselor

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2011

Judged:

Skipper wrote:
<quoted text>
You, like every other junkie, chose your path. You chose your "Disease." Unless you were a crack baby, then you are your own worst enemy-NO EXCUSES! You didn't have a disease like Cancer or something that is unavoidable. You are a drug addict! Regardless of how long you've been clean, you are nothing but a drug addict and Po Boy is right, you are,'F-O-S'
Do you expect to be commended for screwing up and then fixing it? Shove it! If someone pushed a guy in the river and then saved him, would you commend him for that?
Whether addicts chose to become addicted or not, this is a cost that society needs to bear. One way or another, there is a societal cost to addiction. Either we treat those who need treatment, or we suffer the consequences of craving addicts. I would prefer the former to the latter. It costs society much less to help an addict recover and return to a life of productivity. And, we get the added benefit of having another healthy citizen making contributions to our economies and communities. Or, we can wait until the damn bursts and thousands of addicts who cannot afford to get their fixes break into homes, cars, banks, etc. Seems as though you'd prefer to live with the consequences of a society that lacks compassion.
former counselor

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2011

Judged:

Skipper wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, and skipper, seems as though you didn't spend enough time on the pipe. Get back at it fool. You're not contributing to a healthy discussion, so you may as well hand up the keyboard.
Whatever

Concord, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2011

Judged:

former counselor wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether addicts chose to become addicted or not, this is a cost that society needs to bear. One way or another, there is a societal cost to addiction. Either we treat those who need treatment, or we suffer the consequences of craving addicts. I would prefer the former to the latter. It costs society much less to help an addict recover and return to a life of productivity. And, we get the added benefit of having another healthy citizen making contributions to our economies and communities. Or, we can wait until the damn bursts and thousands of addicts who cannot afford to get their fixes break into homes, cars, banks, etc. Seems as though you'd prefer to live with the consequences of a society that lacks compassion.
Society does not need to bear the cost of Addicts. Society needs to edcate people before they become addicted and the only time that we should pay for anything, it should be to lock up these weak, useless, poor excuses for human beings.

Should Society also bear the cost of other choices that people make? Should Society bear the cost of what clothes we choose to wear? The cars that we choose to drive? the food that we choos to eat?

I want Society to pay for ALL of my choices! Why pick an choose which choices they should be burdened with?

How about some self accountability? You do drugs, then YOU pay for your own mistakes and poor choices. If I CHOOSE to go to teh Gym, take care of myself and be a healthy, productive member of society, should society bear the cost of that? After all, it's a choice that I would make and it's going to cost money just like the choice that addicts make. The only difference is that I would be productive and teh Addict wouldn't be.

So, are you suggesting that we reward people for doing the wrong thing by taking away from those that do the right thing?
former counselor

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2011

Judged:

Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Society does not need to bear the cost of Addicts. Society needs to edcate people before they become addicted and the only time that we should pay for anything, it should be to lock up these weak, useless, poor excuses for human beings.
Should Society also bear the cost of other choices that people make? Should Society bear the cost of what clothes we choose to wear? The cars that we choose to drive? the food that we choos to eat?
I want Society to pay for ALL of my choices! Why pick an choose which choices they should be burdened with?
How about some self accountability? You do drugs, then YOU pay for your own mistakes and poor choices. If I CHOOSE to go to teh Gym, take care of myself and be a healthy, productive member of society, should society bear the cost of that? After all, it's a choice that I would make and it's going to cost money just like the choice that addicts make. The only difference is that I would be productive and teh Addict wouldn't be.
So, are you suggesting that we reward people for doing the wrong thing by taking away from those that do the right thing?
I guess I should have phrased it differently. fact is, society does bear the costs of addiction. We can continue to support prevention and recovery programs at the state and federal levels (which we barely do now) or we can continue with the status quo. The current mental health infrastructure does not adequately educate families and young people about the inherent risks of drug use. Interestingly, it began getting more widespread attention and was given a degree of urgency when affluent teens from the suburbs started using the opiates in mommy and daddy's medicine cabinet.

As a substance abuse recovery counselor, I can say with absolute certainty that the majority of our clients came from affluent families and began using heroin as a cheaper alternative to the OCs they got hooked on.

Every sphere of society pays the price for the unrelenting use of opiates. Hospitals, high schools and colleges, police, fire and rescue... all of these valuable communtiy assets are consumed by drug users. Crime rates are directly related to subtance abuse. Domestic violence is directly related to substance abuse.

Everything you say makes sense from an individual perspective. And I agree. I don't sympathise with addicts very much. Most of my clients lied, and often they couldn't wait to get off parole or probation so they could use again. I'm just saying that these people exact a tremendous cost to society either way. It would make more sense to do preventative education and treatment then to ignore the problem.
Adam

Tyngsboro, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2011

Judged:

The key is on the hook Otis. Just let yourself in.
Old but Young at Heart

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2011

Judged:

Po Boy
What is the matter with you? why the grudge from your former employer is that why you are taking it out on everyone in the forum. If you need help please check out Lowell General and they can set you up in a help group. Hey you never know I might be your new sponsor. Have a nice year and good luck finding a new job!
mother

Tewksbury, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2011

Judged:

everyone that doesn't understand that herion is outside the box of all addictions and is death period is blatantly ignoring the fact that the american youth is going down hard overdose and death with a needle in their arm. massachusetts is ground zero detox saved my son once a month for 4days because there he did no dope. then holdings programs filled no waiting lists so back to community home and herion hopefully to not to die in the 3 weeks till he could check back in. now on soboxon 100% better he is back and i believe he has a chance to live makew it out of his twenties
Old but Young at Heart

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2011

Judged:

mother wrote:
everyone that doesn't understand that herion is outside the box of all addictions and is death period is blatantly ignoring the fact that the american youth is going down hard overdose and death with a needle in their arm. massachusetts is ground zero detox saved my son once a month for 4days because there he did no dope. then holdings programs filled no waiting lists so back to community home and herion hopefully to not to die in the 3 weeks till he could check back in. now on soboxon 100% better he is back and i believe he has a chance to live makew it out of his twenties
I agree Heroin is a very nasty drug to choose. My prayers go out to you and to your son in his time of need.

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

Judged:

mother wrote:
Best of luck to you and your family- stay strong.
Po Boy

Merrimack, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

Judged:

Po Boy
What is the matter with you? why the grudge from your former employer is that why you are taking it out on everyone in the forum. If you need help please check out Lowell General and they can set you up in a help group. Hey you never know I might be your new sponsor. Have a nice year and good luck finding a new job!
No grudge, I actually still visit my former co-workers and we go out for a few drinks once in a while. Does that mean that we have a "disease"? LOL.

I got tired of coddling a bunch of losers that made bad choices and now think that it's society's duty to help them undo their choices. That place was a revolving door fed by the Court system. Most of the clientelle there should have been in a jail cell, but always seemed to convince some POS LIberal judge that the alcohol/drugs made them do it. Really? Then who made you do the drugs? hmmm.... intersting question. So, I left and ironically, I work at Lowell General now. I've probably walked right by you while you were spare changing for crack money out front. Now, I help people with REAL diseases that they had no choice but to get. Not the self-induced alcohol/drug fairy tales like before. It's so much more rewarding than dealing with junkies and alcoholics that chose their own destiny and think that they are entitled to leech off fo the rest of us as a result. You get no sympathy from me, you are a product of your own choices.

So, no grudge, it's not the job that I didn't like, it was the clientelle. They were and still are the bottom of the barrell, they are a shite stain on the fabric of society - PERIOD.
thebiggestjunkie righthere

Londonderry, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2012

Judged:

wow! there are some really ignorant ppl out there, getting them to understand is a waste of breath. who thinks their suppose to grow up to turn out a junkie? noone wants that. some ppl are right, it was our choice to pick it up but alot of ppl did it to just try it becuz it was heard that it "felt good" to do it and then the addiction sets in without a person even realizing it. so instead of putting blame on addicts set your anger at what can the friggin world do to help fix this problem? if you don't want anything to do with it then screw and shut your face. i really do miss that detox, it was my fave!!! don't forget, where there's good, there's always gonna be bad.
Just Breath

Quincy, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2012

Judged:

thebiggestjunkierighthere wrote:
wow! there are some really ignorant ppl out there, getting them to understand is a waste of breath. who thinks their suppose to grow up to turn out a junkie? noone wants that. some ppl are right, it was our choice to pick it up but alot of ppl did it to just try it becuz it was heard that it "felt good" to do it and then the addiction sets in without a person even realizing it. so instead of putting blame on addicts set your anger at what can the friggin world do to help fix this problem? if you don't want anything to do with it then screw and shut your face. i really do miss that detox, it was my fave!!! don't forget, where there's good, there's always gonna be bad.
Well said. I was such a dink about addiction as well, that is until my brother came to me and told me his was an addict, by the grace of God my Brother has been clean and sober for 10 years next month. We were raised the same way, came from a well off family, people dont understand that drugs do not discriminate. He was a social user, that turned into more when he got hurt and had easy access to Oxy. I am proud of him, and glad that there were people that were great to him,(Mclean Hospital) and beleived in him. I am so proud of him, and pray for those addicted that they will find the strenght to fight the Demon.
junkie

East Brookfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Judged:

Its funny,someone who hasnt gone thro herion withdrawl,say ya they should shut it down. I ran a business,and didnt have for then a 10 min party,the rest of my day sucks. Try chasing your tails for 2 yrs. Bunch of morons.
5percent

Keene, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

you all seem to be bouncing around the issue. doesn't matter too much weather or not it is or isnt a disease. when you closed that center as when other mental health facilities closed you create a vacuum and these people end op some place else. usually the local jail. and the guards in Billerica will tell you they don't want them, but that is where they end up. now you have a correctional facility treating mental health and addiction instead of taking care of the criminal element it was created for. bottum line is 5% of the population is going to abuse Drugs and alocohol and if society doesent want to help them in a structured manner it will pay for it in another way.

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

5percent wrote:
you all seem to be bouncing around the issue. doesn't matter too much weather or not it is or isnt a disease. when you closed that center as when other mental health facilities closed you create a vacuum and these people end op some place else. usually the local jail. and the guards in Billerica will tell you they don't want them, but that is where they end up. now you have a correctional facility treating mental health and addiction instead of taking care of the criminal element it was created for. bottum line is 5% of the population is going to abuse Drugs and alocohol and if society doesent want to help them in a structured manner it will pay for it in another way.
Well said!
Your an idiot

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Whoever thinks addiction isn't a disease or is a choice and w/e other bull you were all saying is seriously an idiot. I'm very open and honest and I am a recovered addict along with my father who now makes 100000$ yearly and I work with addicts helping them get through it and showing them it is possible. Also I have many family members who are or were addicts or alcoholics. No one CHOOSES to be an addict. It starts off in many different ways trying it "once", starting off with "just smoking weed", doing it to fit in, peer pressure, a situation like mine and just having it surround you inside or outside your home life and it spirals out of control faster then most know. Sure it is your choice to try it or do it but it is not a choice to be an addict and it is awful and most would rather die then go through it and I have many friends who committed suicide because of the daily battle. It starts off trying it or doing it with friends or to fit in or w/e the situation then its just to have fun then your craving and before you know it you don't even feel any type of effects from it...you need it to not be sick and your day revolves around how and where I'm gonna find it.(it being the drug of choice due to the situation) I can understand where people who have never experienced it themselves or with a loved one can say rude things because yes to start off it is a choice but as I said MOST don't know and realize how fast its going to spiral out of control and once it does its extremely hard and almost impossible to come back and for some it is impossible..then once you do recover you have the temptations everyday around you and what they call "triggers" in rehab..for me once I was clean the feeling of helping others and being able to bring my experience into detoxes or rehabs like this one that closed was enough to keep me going and keep me clean because I love to share my experience to show its possible to get through alive and a better person. It is a sickness it is a disease no matter how you feel about it once it spirals out of control out of your control out of anyone's control you need help and you need a place to turn because without these places for people to turn its all going to get worse and worse. Believe me I was one of you before "I would never be an addict" "they chose to do this and that" but once I tried it with a friend and it turned to once a month once every 2 weeks once a week to "have fun" etc before I knew it I blinked my eyes and was depending on it to not be sick and to just feel normal. So before you make your offensive rude close-minded shallow comments get your facts straight and do some research talk to some doctors and get educated on the facts because what most of you posted was very immature very very selfish very offensive and sickening. You can all post your rude comments back to me all you want but you just embarrass yourself because things your saying are false and ridiculous

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Dracut Discussions

Search the Dracut Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Where are Lowell's most haunted places? (Jun '08) 12 hr joe 814
Review: Lowell Therapeutic Massage (Aug '10) 15 hr Intrigued client 34
Tyco closing Lowell plant, moving 100 jobs (Nov '10) 17 hr Waste my Time 48
Riverside Diner spices up menu (Mar '10) 18 hr Bob T 3
Arthur T. Demoulas makes offer to buy Market Ba... Sun Joe L Kaddie 3
MA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Massachus... (Oct '10) Jul 26 Crazy Mike 4,696
High-profile lawyer to defend local mom in sex ... (Apr '08) Jul 26 Jane 14
•••
•••

Dracut News Video

•••
•••

Dracut Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Dracut People Search