Parents want Lowell school to act aft...

Parents want Lowell school to act after autistic boy lost a third time

There are 174 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Oct 21, 2010, titled Parents want Lowell school to act after autistic boy lost a third time. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

It happened the first time last December: A 5-year-old autistic boy walked away from his classes at the Bailey Elementary School and was found a short time later on Stevens Street.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
lowellresident2

Lowell, MA

#164 Oct 21, 2010
jill wrote:
<quoted text>
"Everyone has the same rights"
Yes and my child has the same rights as the "autistic" child, so therefore the same amount should be spent on both educations. Not 10 times more on the other child because everyone has the same rights correct?
Everyone has the same right to the same education, yes, but NOT the same needs to obtain that education! Where do you get the 10 times amount spent on Special Ed? Maybe once you get out of pre-school you'll be able to understand the issues you so ignorantly comment on!
Steve Delacruz

Lowell, MA

#165 Oct 21, 2010
Just can't believe the ignorance of people sometimes.

Autism is not contageous but ignorance seems to be!

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
concerned

Amherst, MA

#166 Oct 22, 2010
Maybe if precious little boy had been given the in home FREE care that had been set up for him, he would now be better able to understand how dangerous it is for him to walk away from the school alone
concerned

Amherst, MA

#167 Oct 22, 2010
Thank you Boston, This Mother was offered in home care for this baby, but she REFUSED, BECAUSE ACCORDING TO HER SHE COULD DO A MUCH BETTER JOB!!!! I GUESS WE JUST SAW THE RESULTS OF HER PARENTING SKILLS!
Eminem

Franklin, MA

#168 Oct 22, 2010
ABORTION!!!
zing

Santa Clara, CA

#169 Oct 25, 2010
Engineer IV wrote:
Seems every kid these days who is an uncontrolled little brat is labeled autistic, seems like an excuse parents use to sort of justify their kids bad behavior.
Seems every kid these days labels himself an Engineer, seems like an excuse lackeys use to justify their menial jobs.
Parent of Autistic Teen

Lowell, MA

#170 Aug 5, 2014
You guys posting on here make me sick you act as if being Autistic us a contagious disease wake the fuck up Autistic kids just learn differently and yes need more structure and attention than most but who the hell are you to say they don't belong in a public school ,I wouldn't trade my 16 year old son for anything and yes the schools should spend money to make sure these kids are supervised in school as the parents do at home and for once the Lowell Public Schools. Should listen to the parents who raise theae kids day in and day out unless you walk in or shoes and live our life shut your trap

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#171 Aug 5, 2014
Put a leash on this little savage
you are a POS

Winnipeg, Canada

#172 Aug 5, 2014
Hash Browns wrote:
Ya mom and step dad, it's the schools fault. Whats a kid like that doing in a public school anyway. And Im glad the media reached out to you, or was it the other way around. Pathetic parents.
POS
you are a POS

Winnipeg, Canada

#173 Aug 5, 2014
Eminem wrote:
ABORTION!!!
Your parents should have done that
you are a POS

Winnipeg, Canada

#174 Aug 5, 2014
Injun Joe wrote:
Put a leash on this little savage
Put a noose on you

Since: Jul 10

Minneapolis, MN

#175 Aug 5, 2014
ben butler wrote:
didn't know that autistic children could attend regular public schools. with the number of children per classroom, having somebody constantly watch this kid seems like an impossible task. this kid sounds like he should be at the leblanc school.
Many do, especially the High Functioning Autism aka Aspergers have been attending school for decades if not hundreds of years.

Minneapolis, MN

#176 Aug 5, 2014
disappointed wrote:
An autistic boy does'nt belong in the public school system as the staff is not properly trained to handle such a child. He should be sent to a private school that specializes in teaching children with disabilities. People expect too much from a public school system.
One needs to remember that Autism is a Spectrum Disorder. From the High Functioning to the most severe.
As for being in school. What the kids need is some therapy. As in provided by folks like Family Networks, schools that have ESCE programs, Son-Rise programs as well.
Never give up on a child. Raun Kaufman's parents didn't. Even after the doctors claimed that he would never have a IQ of more than 30 due to his autism. His mom developed a therapy program. He currently is now a speaker for events. As well as he has a degree from college in Bioethics.

Minneapolis, MN

#177 Aug 5, 2014
RICK wrote:
we definitely need to focus more on babysitting retards while completely ignoring the few intelligent young students.
Try educating yourself about ASD. This includes why it is called a "spectrum" disorder.
Meanwhile, my soon to be fourth grade daughter very likely can do circles around you in math. She has ASD. To be more precise, High Functioning Autism
Her third grade teacher has relatives who also have ASD. So he knew how to deal with her. Including giving her nine grade math to keep her from getting bored in class.
By the way, here is a another clue. it isn't just kids that have it. Since it is genetic. Folks who have it will grow up. And in many cases, get married and also have kids who are on the spectrum.
Something else I noticed. If you take a look at the medical description of a ASD person. And then look at the stereotyping of a "nerd". You will see that the 'points' pretty much match up. Not all ASD are going to be nerds. Nor are all nerds going to be ASD folks. Especially Aspergers. But many can and some do claim both titles.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dracut Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
lowell crime stories as remebered by residents (Jul '08) 6 hr Roland poitras 816
News N.H. judge says she closes eyes, but doesn't sl... (Feb '06) 8 hr Stephen D Clark 248
Anyone know of any Tunnels/Caverns or Undergrou... (Sep '09) Sep 22 Scared in Lowell 4
I love kickboxing Methuen MA is amazing! (Feb '17) Sep 21 CandyGirl0720 5
keno in massachusetts (Nov '08) Sep 20 Douchbag slayer 89
Camp Saint Mary's (Jan '09) Sep 19 Sully 38
Lawn sprinklers at town hall Sep 14 D smith 1

Dracut Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dracut Mortgages