Parents want Lowell school to act aft...

Parents want Lowell school to act after autistic boy lost a third time

There are 174 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Oct 21, 2010, titled Parents want Lowell school to act after autistic boy lost a third time. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

It happened the first time last December: A 5-year-old autistic boy walked away from his classes at the Bailey Elementary School and was found a short time later on Stevens Street.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Hash Browns

Lowell, MA

#1 Oct 21, 2010
Ya mom and step dad, it's the schools fault. Whats a kid like that doing in a public school anyway. And Im glad the media reached out to you, or was it the other way around. Pathetic parents.
ben butler

New Bedford, MA

#2 Oct 21, 2010
didn't know that autistic children could attend regular public schools. with the number of children per classroom, having somebody constantly watch this kid seems like an impossible task. this kid sounds like he should be at the leblanc school.
jill

Peabody, MA

#3 Oct 21, 2010
The kid needs some discipline!!! His parents shouldn't coddle him.
joe

Peabody, MA

#4 Oct 21, 2010
These "autistic" kids need to be taught right from wrong. You can't just say "oh he has autism" as an excuse. How do you expect these kids to function in the real world if they don't understand when something is wrong? I agree with the above post that the kid needs discipline, maybe some harsh discipline!
lowellresident2

Lowell, MA

#5 Oct 21, 2010
You people are all LOSERS!! How would you feel if it was YOUR kid that was lost? The law requires that those with special needs get the same education as those without! Anything less is DISCRIMINATION! God forbid you morons have a child with special needs, I'll bet your tune would change if you did!
Gator

Allston, MA

#6 Oct 21, 2010
This is what you get with emersion.

And, please, don't give me the "discrimination" BS.

How would you feel if it were your child who was not given the proper attention or even eduation because a special needs student was in his class and taking all of the teacher's attention? Are you getting your tax dollar's worth??
jill

Peabody, MA

#7 Oct 21, 2010
lowellresident2 wrote:
You people are all LOSERS!! How would you feel if it was YOUR kid that was lost? The law requires that those with special needs get the same education as those without! Anything less is DISCRIMINATION! God forbid you morons have a child with special needs, I'll bet your tune would change if you did!
You said it yourself "the same education". We shouldn't spend extra money on "special" education. It should be the same student to teacher ratio for all students, special needs or not!
DRD

Londonderry, NH

#8 Oct 21, 2010
As a mother of 3 children, this article makes me sick to my stomach. You send your child to school with the confidence that they will be safe in their care. ALL children deserve to be safe at school!
Yes and no

Tyngsboro, MA

#10 Oct 21, 2010
Clearly this kid has a mental issue and "discipline" is not going to help here.

However, for the same reason, perhaps he should not be in public school. It is not the school, nor the taxpayers responsibility to give this child his own teacher.

If the parents wanted to try public school, fine. It didn't work. Time for a private school that specializes in (or is at least equipped to handle) severe autism.
amazing

Attleboro, MA

#11 Oct 21, 2010
DRD wrote:
As a mother of 3 children, this article makes me sick to my stomach. You send your child to school with the confidence that they will be safe in their care. ALL children deserve to be safe at school!
I could not have said it better myself!
very sad

Haverhill, MA

#12 Oct 21, 2010
I think it's very sad that so many people commenting on here simply think that all this kid needs is a swift kick in the behind,or that he should be 'put away somewhere' so he doesn't waste our tax dollars or disrupt the classroom.The fact is the kid does have special needs,so he needs extra help to learn.I,for one,have no problem with having my tax dollars spent to help kids reach their potential.If that means him having a paraprofessional with him,then so be it(which would also help keep the teacher's attention where it belongs,on all of the students).I think there are many serious issues of wasting tax payer money,and I think we should be more worried about those,rather than 'wasting' money on a child's education.
For everyone complaining about their tax dollars being wasted-what do you think will happen if these kids are kept out of society?They will never learn basic skills to survive and function on their own as adults,and we will ALL be spending more in taxes to keep them seperate and take care of them for the rest of their lives.
What would you be saying if that kid was hit and killed by a vehicle while he was wandering around?Would you still blame the parents?These incidents didn't happen at home,they happened at school.If they happened at home the paper would have written about it.
Lowell

Lowell, MA

#13 Oct 21, 2010
The teachers have so many children to teach and cannot just watch one child, they are there to learn. Teachers are not babysitters!
If this child keeps walking away, parents should try home schooling before something tragic happens.
Hire a private tutor that can focus on one child only. STOP making it the teachers problem, It just isn't up to the teacher to ignor all other students and focus on this one boy.
Mr Garrison

Lowell, MA

#14 Oct 21, 2010
If I wanted my child to get 1 on 1 care I would either do it myself or if that isn't possible, I would send them to a private care facility that is designed to handle children like this.
You can't expect school staff to prepare thousands of specialized education plans for each individual student.
That being said it's obvious the school can't handle the child, I feel for the school, if they said no to the parents they would have complained for that too.
Lowell

Lowell, MA

#15 Oct 21, 2010
Mr Garrison wrote:
If I wanted my child to get 1 on 1 care I would either do it myself or if that isn't possible, I would send them to a private care facility that is designed to handle children like this.
You can't expect school staff to prepare thousands of specialized education plans for each individual student.
That being said it's obvious the school can't handle the child, I feel for the school, if they said no to the parents they would have complained for that too.
Everyone feels they are entitled special treatment. Teachers have enough with large classrooms. Parents see that the school cannot provide one on one for any child yet they send their children there and complain, True that every child should be safe, but what can a teacher do when this child keeps wondering off? Its time for the parent/parents to put him in a different school.(private schools have smaller classrooms)
Amused

Newton Center, MA

#16 Oct 21, 2010
Yes and no wrote:
Clearly this kid has a mental issue and "discipline" is not going to help here.
However, for the same reason, perhaps he should not be in public school. It is not the school, nor the taxpayers responsibility to give this child his own teacher.
If the parents wanted to try public school, fine. It didn't work. Time for a private school that specializes in (or is at least equipped to handle) severe autism.
News flash: the taxpayers would be obligated to pay for the private school. Besides being better for the child, the mainstream classroom is probably much cheaper for the taxpayers.
MsChou

Haverhill, MA

#17 Oct 21, 2010
This should be unacceptable by any security standards.Three times? And nobody held accountable?How about a suspension without pay for staters!How do you lose disabled students?Coffee breaks?Unattened class rooms? As parents are we going to wait until a child gets hurt/killed? Unsigned social contract is,when we put our children on a government bus (school bus)we should expect that our children will arrive @ school safe and while in school be safe at a minimum,were not even discussing proper education at this time,just basic safety. This issue should not be treated as a miner incident.
Mr Garrison

Lowell, MA

#18 Oct 21, 2010
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
News flash: the taxpayers would be obligated to pay for the private school. Besides being better for the child, the mainstream classroom is probably much cheaper for the taxpayers.
How is it better for the child? He obviously can't get the attention he needs, so it's not better.
And how about the 20 other kids in the class? Is it better for them? Should their learning be effected by the special needs this child has?
Amused

Newton Center, MA

#19 Oct 21, 2010
lowellresident2 wrote:
I understand your anger, but you should realize that most of these people are speaking out of ignorance. They know nothing about autism, and are projecting random stuff they think they may have heard onto this situation. Getting angry at them for their ignorance is akin to getting angry at an autistic child for not being "normal". If they knew that "autism" is a term that covers a broad spectrum of disabilities, and that kids at the high functioning end of the spectrum are often very high IQ individuals who have disabilities with social functioning, not with intellectual functioning (Albert Einstein is generally considered to be a classic Asperger's Syndrome example) their would most likely change their opinion.

In the meantime, just remember "mind over matter": the people who mind, don't matter. the people who matter don't mind.
Lowell

Lowell, MA

#20 Oct 21, 2010
Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont think the taxpayer would be obligated to pay for private school. His safety is of great concern and I am sure there is something out there to help with his schooling. I am willing to bet there are many other cases like this one.
Mr Garrison

Lowell, MA

#21 Oct 21, 2010
We want our child to achieve great things, we compare them to other countries, do you think in China they assign autistic kids to regular classrooms? I'm not saying follow China's lead, but if you say our kids aren't doing as well as other countries you may want to look at how they handle these issues.
Bring back special ed, have specialized teachers to teacher special children in their own class.
We want our children to succeed but we let our PC culture hinder their ability to grow.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dracut Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you remember???? (Jun '08) 11 hr Bob KA-58 18,419
News Frozen pizza almost as good as real thing (Dec '10) 16 hr bst 23
christmas decorations in chelmsford Jan 12 hammerhead 2
lowell crime stories as remebered by residents (Jul '08) Jan 7 Wildirishrose509 820
Dominique Oliver Jan 6 Notimpressed 2
my wife refuses to get a job! (Aug '09) Jan 5 Zane 208
Itís a stretch, but Iím asking? Jan 4 Karen Meyers 3

Dracut Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dracut Mortgages