Rescue on the river

Rescue on the river

There are 101 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Jul 21, 2010, titled Rescue on the river. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

Left: Lowell firefighters, front, from left, Scott McDowell and Keith Ortolani, and back, from left, Joe Cooper and Lt.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
greys43

Tyngsboro, MA

#1 Jul 21, 2010
Just a note to the guy who put his own life on the line. You are a HERO. Great Job. Bless you Tyngsboro Ma
Jessica

Burlington, MA

#2 Jul 21, 2010
GREAT job Murphy!
Impressed

Boston, MA

#3 Jul 21, 2010
greys43 wrote:
Just a note to the guy who put his own life on the line. You are a HERO. Great Job. Bless you Tyngsboro Ma
Ditto
EyeBallChambers

Lexington, MA

#4 Jul 21, 2010
ahh taking it easy drinky with friends by the riverbank on a hot summer afternoon, living for free off the state taxpayers!
most people are at work at that hour but not Hiraldo, nope out drinking and fighting with sig other! ahhh life is good living off the taxpayers!!
i hope the police check his legal status!!
how much did this rescue cost the city!
Tyngsborough

Londonderry, NH

#5 Jul 21, 2010
WOW! Todd Murphy did everything right. He investigated the calls for help. He was responsive and action driven. And how about that quick thinking finding a stick and extending it to the drowning victims? An everyday guy going to extraordinary lengths to save two people's lives! What a great story!
lol

Quincy, MA

#7 Jul 21, 2010
damn most of these senior police officers are getting old and fat. please retire so we can have more fit and active officers on the beat.
dmak-Lowell

Lawrence, MA

#8 Jul 21, 2010
Might be the best interview I have ever seen! Gotta love answering the phone....Lowell's finest!!
Todd Murphy did a awesome job thinking quick!
Angry Bystander

Lowell, MA

#9 Jul 21, 2010
I watched the whole thing happen from the other side of the river. Murphy the "hero" didn't do anything. He didn't get in the water, he didn't hold the kid up HE DID NOTHING THAT THEY SAID HE DID!!! He didn't even call 911. My cousin did. If the rescue team didn't show up the guys would have died. "Hero" Murphy did nothing but watch and get in the way when the team got there.
HE"S NO HERO!!!! THE ONLY HERO'S IN THIS TALE IS THE RESCUE TEAM!!!
Bitter man

United States

#10 Jul 21, 2010
Angry Bystander,

You sound very bitter about this, are you mad that you and your cousins name wasn't mentioned?

Next time you're fishing for Carp and see something like this jump your fat a$$ in and help.
Slow Down

Winthrop, MA

#11 Jul 21, 2010
Angry Bystander wrote:
I watched the whole thing happen from the other side of the river. Murphy the "hero" didn't do anything. He didn't get in the water, he didn't hold the kid up HE DID NOTHING THAT THEY SAID HE DID!!! He didn't even call 911. My cousin did. If the rescue team didn't show up the guys would have died. "Hero" Murphy did nothing but watch and get in the way when the team got there.
HE"S NO HERO!!!! THE ONLY HERO'S IN THIS TALE IS THE RESCUE TEAM!!!
Slow it down pal. Just because my boy Tommy Murphy is getting all the praise and you were sitting on the other side of the river with your hand in your cousin's pants doesn't mean you can come onto my forum and run your mouth. Watch your tone or beat it. You slug.
society girl

Chelsea, MA

#12 Jul 21, 2010
Slow Down wrote:
<quoted text>
Slow it down pal. Just because my boy Tommy Murphy is getting all the praise and you were sitting on the other side of the river with your hand in your cousin's pants doesn't mean you can come onto my forum and run your mouth. Watch your tone or beat it. You slug.
Your forum? Oh my...
ALWAYS LEFT OUT

Hooksett, NH

#13 Jul 21, 2010
trinity was there working hard yes or no
Hammerhead

Lexington, MA

#14 Jul 21, 2010
so how much did that cost the taxpayers?
free rescue and ofcourse the free medical at the hospital!
wish i could hang out at the river all day drinking, but ofcourse some have to work, i mean there's millions of free loaders who depend on my taxdollars!
Strong Work

Chelmsford, MA

#15 Jul 21, 2010
Great job to the rescue team and all involved. I know EMTs/paramedics don't get much praise, but these guys are heroes too. Strong work to all.
Eagle

Wilmington, MA

#16 Jul 21, 2010
EyeBallChambers wrote:
ahh taking it easy drinky with friends by the riverbank on a hot summer afternoon, living for free off the state taxpayers!
most people are at work at that hour but not Hiraldo, nope out drinking and fighting with sig other! ahhh life is good living off the taxpayers!!
i hope the police check his legal status!!
how much did this rescue cost the city!
Ain't that the truth!
roust

Orlando, FL

#17 Jul 21, 2010
Are the 2 men that were rescued illegal immigrants? I wonder if anybody bothered to check. Jose Guava and Carmelo Hiraldo both live at the Lowell Transitional Living Center on Middlesex Street. Seems like a strong possibility. They created a situation that cost thousands of dollars to the community and risked the lives of all responding. Please deport them if they are illegals!
Arte

Somerville, MA

#19 Jul 21, 2010
Those 2 deadbeats are lucky it was Murphy and not me that showed up. I would have tossed them a rock.
USA

Stamford, CT

#20 Jul 21, 2010
great, 2 more illegal aliens messing around on our dime!
ICE ICE BABY

Burlington, MA

#21 Jul 21, 2010
roust wrote:
Are the 2 men that were rescued illegal immigrants? I wonder if anybody bothered to check. Jose Guava and Carmelo Hiraldo both live at the Lowell Transitional Living Center on Middlesex Street. Seems like a strong possibility. They created a situation that cost thousands of dollars to the community and risked the lives of all responding. Please deport them if they are illegals!
They should of checked their immigrant status prior to pulling them out...if they were illegals, they should have left them in there...if legals, then extend the helping hand. I can't believe "ICE" were not called in to investigate this situation prior to the rescue.

agree with other poster who mentioned slumming off the taxpayers while sitting "beach side" throwing some 40's down their throats and deciding to take a dip in fast flowing river. Could have saved us a few tax dollars!
ICE ICE BABY

Burlington, MA

#22 Jul 21, 2010
Arte wrote:
Those 2 deadbeats are lucky it was Murphy and not me that showed up. I would have tossed them a rock.
LOL...classic!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dracut Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trial set for three Haverhill cops accused of c... (Mar '11) Nov 16 Nonya buzness 2
very nervous about 40B affordable housing Nov 15 fieldhockey 1
Do you remember???? (Jun '08) Nov 14 Wondering 18,381
lowell crime stories as remebered by residents (Jul '08) Nov 12 spook 817
Is anybody out there? Nov 9 Dennis Pena 1
News Man, 60, charged with gas station robbery Nov 9 hammerhead 3
News Three charged in Dracut pizza-shop robbery (May '08) Nov 8 Justice 55

Dracut Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dracut Mortgages