Duck Island to clean up its act

Duck Island to clean up its act

There are 15 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Jan 2, 2011, titled Duck Island to clean up its act. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

The long-neglected 30-year-old Wastewater Treatment Plant at Duck Island has been held together with "Band-Aids and duct tape," in recent years, said Executive Director Mark Young.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

No Kidding

Augusta, ME

#1 Jan 2, 2011
So typical of anything in Massachusetts, Nothing gets preventive maintainance or up graded until threats are made. Or at worse yet the plant is out of operation. What has Lowell been doing with the money that they are charging the towns for using the Duck Island plant?
ronnie

Lowell, MA

#2 Jan 2, 2011
too bad there arent enough people there to run this new equipment

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#3 Jan 2, 2011
Well timed article to set up the residents in the area for another inflated bill!!!!!
Mike J

Lakeland, FL

#4 Jan 2, 2011
Nice to see something being done not just about the odor but efficiency as well. Going green is also a plus for savings and to teach students as well.
The Patriot

Lowell, MA

#5 Jan 3, 2011
The real Duck Island if people only knew. I'm sure it's one of the few places people would say they got more than their money's worth. However don't expect the odor to go away it's the nature of the bussiness. Just think what the work enviroment is like.
Kel

Vero Beach, FL

#6 Jan 3, 2011
The plant on Duck Island is the best thing that has ever happened for the Merrimack in Lowell. I know. My family has lived on it's bank since long long before there was a plant there. Good report! Glad to hear the good news!!
Lowell resident

Dracut, MA

#7 Jan 3, 2011
Are you kidding? More of our tax dollars so the workers at the plant can drive around,go from diner to diner and play computer games and who knows what else.Wake up tax payers Mark Young better get a better grip of what his workers are actually doing when they should be working.
The Spineless City

Dracut, MA

#8 Jan 3, 2011
grab your wallet
mike

Dracut, MA

#9 Jan 3, 2011
Lowell resident wrote:
Are you kidding? More of our tax dollars so the workers at the plant can drive around,go from diner to diner and play computer games and who knows what else.Wake up tax payers Mark Young better get a better grip of what his workers are actually doing when they should be working.
come by and check im sure by the time you leave you would agree we are seriously underappreciated!
Lowell resident

Dracut, MA

#10 Jan 3, 2011
Ya..don't think so. these guys have second jobs on the city's time.The taxpayers are being ripped off.Hopefully lynch will look into this cause Young isn't doing anything about the guys driving around doing nothing on the taxpayers money.Check their computers and see how much work is being done.Nice try.The taxpayers are footing the bill again for nothing in return.
res

Dracut, MA

#11 Jan 3, 2011
Lowell resident wrote:
Ya..don't think so. these guys have second jobs on the city's time.The taxpayers are being ripped off.Hopefully lynch will look into this cause Young isn't doing anything about the guys driving around doing nothing on the taxpayers money.Check their computers and see how much work is being done.Nice try.The taxpayers are footing the bill again for nothing in return.
is this soupy?
Lowell resident

Dracut, MA

#12 Jan 3, 2011
Nah,just someone whose sick of paying taxes for these guys to act like bums and not do anything.lynch better check into the plant these guys aren't doing a thing and obviously there boss isnt' checking up on them.
Lowell Best

Lowell, MA

#13 Jan 4, 2011
Lowell resident wrote:
Nah,just someone whose sick of paying taxes for these guys to act like bums and not do anything.lynch better check into the plant these guys aren't doing a thing and obviously there boss isnt' checking up on them.
His name is Frank.
Kel

Vero Beach, FL

#14 Jan 4, 2011
For decades before '84 many places like the Burnham Road sub dumped raw sewerage directly into the Merrimack 24/7/365. Don't know anything about current personnel issues, but delighted to see that we have come a long way baby since those days!!
Lowell resident

Dracut, MA

#15 Jan 5, 2011
Kel wrote:
For decades before '84 many places like the Burnham Road sub dumped raw sewerage directly into the Merrimack 24/7/365. Don't know anything about current personnel issues, but delighted to see that we have come a long way baby since those days!!
Hey I don't mind paying for a cleanup.I mind paying for workers to have other jobs and play on theyre computers when their suposed to be working.Whose watching them.Obviously not their superviser.And now he wants us to pay more money in taxes.I hope Bernie and the city counsel start investigating what the workers are actualy doing all day long.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dracut Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ten charged in Lowell gang raids; weapons, drug... (Jul '08) 5 hr theo 668
Do you remember???? (Jun '08) 8 hr The Kid 18,196
Kenneth Waters was innocent 100% (Oct '10) Apr 24 blowbackredfish 34
Section 8 Fraud (Sep '08) Apr 17 Shortstuff 346
Billerica crim,e 70s 80s 90s (Jul '08) Apr 14 Chaz 370
News THE MAIN EVENT: Crowds flock to see 'Fighter' s... (Jul '09) Apr 9 Erin M 76
Should an uninsured driver from NH be allowed t... (Aug '08) Apr 5 Greg 115

Dracut Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dracut Mortgages