Dozens of crashes mark slippery start...

Dozens of crashes mark slippery start to season for local public -works crews

There are 60 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Dec 13, 2010, titled Dozens of crashes mark slippery start to season for local public -works crews. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

A Chelmsford Department of Public Works sander truck lands on its side in a yard on Robin Hill Road after it slid on black ice and flipping yesterday morning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Umm ya

Arlington, MA

#45 Dec 13, 2010
From my perspective, no one in the city Government watches the weather...P-iss poor planning on behalf of the city. Send the repair bills to city hall.
Umm ya

Arlington, MA

#46 Dec 13, 2010
Oh and as per usual, Government failed you...Yet our taxes go up to pay their High society salary's Keep voting folks your doing a heck of a job.
HA HA

San Jose, CA

#47 Dec 13, 2010
Dickie_Punchcok wrote:
You'd think having the last name "Snow" he would try harder
Lol
Pot Meet Kettle

Lowell, MA

#48 Dec 13, 2010
The DPW Commissioner in Lowell only makes $111,000? I figured in a city the size of Lowell you would have to pay somebody $140,000. Guess you get what you pay for.
andy saint apples

Simsbury, CT

#49 Dec 13, 2010
the dpw got called at 7 it took time to call drivers and then they had to put the sand in the trucks it wasn't even ready with sand, and one was out of gas. good job
dracut worker

Arlington Heights, MA

#50 Dec 13, 2010
bull this wrote:
<quoted text>
people need to use their own common sense like I did, and not venture out when weather reports the night before stated freezing rain. out here in dracut, the sanders did not come out till after 10:00. so stop looking to blame others and look at yourselves!
What if you had to go to WORK at 5AM like I did--ypur another couch potato collecting
bull this and this

Gloucester, MA

#51 Dec 13, 2010
I was up at 5:30 AM, as I am EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! and NO, I DO NOT COLECT!!!

I have the SMARTS to look outside the door, toss the salt if needed, carefully get in my car and proceed and drive CAUTIOUSLY. NOT like some of the IDIOTS that were FLYING down my street!!

Stop blaming others for your shortcomings!
wow

Greenfield, MA

#52 Dec 13, 2010
Lloyd Christmas wrote:
Looks like one of Bud's cronies didn't get the job - now he's out for blood!
lies.....from an anonymous coward.
Kim

San Mateo, CA

#53 Dec 13, 2010
Cut spending but maintain services? Can't have it both ways!
Pitdog

Lowell, MA

#54 Dec 13, 2010
Cynthia in Dracut wrote:
The roads were full of maniac drivers. In a way they are getting what they deserve when they crash. I lived in Denver and we had much more snow and ice than here.Colorado treated the roads with far fewer chemicals but we had much better drivers and less accidents than here. It would be funny except people die and we all pay for the dumb drivers and their crashes with insurance rates that are way too high.
Slow down and you will do fine. The roads are not dangerous but the drivers are.
Bull,,,,,Black Ice is dangerous,I don'tcare how good a driver you are.
lowell

Lowell, MA

#55 Dec 13, 2010
We also have to say about paying the insurance company for the next 3 yrs for an accident.
This Guy is a Joke

Lowell, MA

#56 Dec 13, 2010
The Teflon Don (Manager Lynch) is losing his touch

Lets see -- he takes his money to Chelmsford and could care less what happens to the people in Lowell.

His goal is to cut budgets to the bone and he got caught with his pants down --- again !

Councilors --- Wake up
Daniel

Nashua, NH

#57 Dec 13, 2010
Actually "Black Ice" did not cause 46 crashes, it only contributed to them. "Black Ice" was not driving the 46 vehicles. If "Black Ice" were the cause, every vehicle on the road would have been involved in a crash. In New England at this time of the year, drivers should realize the potential of "Black Ice" when operating their vehicle in rainy conditions.

"Black or White, Ice is Ice"
snowbird

Jupiter, FL

#58 Dec 13, 2010
don't Lynch Snow. maybe bernie forgot to tell him how unqualified Lowell locals are or maybe he saw The Fighter and concluded the ice storm would keep people away from Lowell.The press should wait until monday and give Snow a chance to respond...amazing the negative stuff outside "professionals" keep piling on top of Lowell..pity the Lowell homeowner and gutless city leaders.
Mink

Haverhill, MA

#59 Dec 13, 2010
I nominate Martin J. "Its all about me" Meehan for DPW Commissioner.
city of lowell

Lowell, MA

#61 Dec 13, 2010
nice job lynch and snow .. u r welcomed
bad boy

Lowell, MA

#62 Dec 14, 2010
Does Mr. lynch realize his stupidity caused a lowell ladder truck to take out a telephone pole?
Hmmm

North Grafton, MA

#63 Dec 14, 2010
snowbird wrote:
don't Lynch Snow. maybe bernie forgot to tell him how unqualified Lowell locals are or maybe he saw The Fighter and concluded the ice storm would keep people away from Lowell.The press should wait until monday and give Snow a chance to respond...amazing the negative stuff outside "professionals" keep piling on top of Lowell..pity the Lowell homeowner and gutless city leaders.
There was no ice storm. Yesterday's front page is just typical Lowell Sun sensationalism. If you've lived in Mass you know that the most likely scenario at play here is 46 accidents = 46 aggressive idiots on the road. I was out shopping at 9 on Sunday and it was already at least 40 degrees and all the roads were sanded. By the afternoon it was 50 degrees here.
NOT QUITE

San Jose, CA

#64 Dec 14, 2010
Hmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
There was no ice storm. Yesterday's front page is just typical Lowell Sun sensationalism. If you've lived in Mass you know that the most likely scenario at play here is 46 accidents = 46 aggressive idiots on the road. I was out shopping at 9 on Sunday and it was already at least 40 degrees and all the roads were sanded. By the afternoon it was 50 degrees here.
I disagree. Surely, a few of those accidents were overly aggressive drivers, but not all 46, sorry. Black Ice gets everyone. Doesn't matter if you're going 5 mph. If you hit the ice, the car is simply not going to stop. This is why these roads need to be treated, before hand. All you people saying you just need to simply slow down, obviously have not lived in NewEngland very long, or you're fairly new drivers in general. Speed will help obviously, but it's not going to guarantee that you will stop. Bottom line is this guy dropped the ball on this one. Hopefully, it was a wakeup call, and next time he'll be right on top of things, before they happen. Remember, it's his "JOB". Everyone keeps saying that "this is NewEngland, that's the weather", well, NO KIDDING, Don't you think instead of just letting him off the hook by saying that, maybe you should be thinking he should pay attention to weather radar, and be kept updated on changing weather so he can stay ahead of the game?? After all, it IS his JOB, right?? Wow, how dare the people expect him to do his job, right? Come on. He knew what he was signong up for.
Racist pig

Boston, MA

#65 Dec 14, 2010
Why is everbody allways blaming the black man why dont they call it white ice? why Black?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dracut Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you remember???? (Jun '08) Sat Sla 18,304
Tyngsboro Music Selection (Aug '12) Jun 22 Musikologist 25
News Advocates push for in-state rates for undocumen... Jun 19 DAII 2
Section 8 Fraud (Sep '08) Jun 18 Cherylanne 347
spear house restaurant (Jan '09) Jun 16 deluca1 7
lowell crime stories as remebered by residents (Jul '08) Jun 14 DonMoody 813
News Lowell woman ID'd as one of 2 stabbing victims (Jul '10) Jun 9 Jennette Souza 68

Dracut Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dracut Mortgages