Dozens of crashes mark slippery start...

Dozens of crashes mark slippery start to season for local public -works crews

There are 60 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Dec 13, 2010, titled Dozens of crashes mark slippery start to season for local public -works crews. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

A Chelmsford Department of Public Works sander truck lands on its side in a yard on Robin Hill Road after it slid on black ice and flipping yesterday morning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Whatsupwiththat3 7

Dracut, MA

#1 Dec 13, 2010
Lowell Police , Lowell Fire and Trinty did a wonderful job during icey conditions.
The Female Dispatcher late nights should be congradulated for keeping her cool and being a true professional.

DPW workers should also be mentioned for thier quick response.

Its Winter in New England......
Julia from Pepperell

Lancaster, MA

#2 Dec 13, 2010
I had a near miss yesterday on the way to church. My antilock brakes didn't work and I slid from Hadley Road onto Hollis Road (Rt 122). Sorry to the yellow car that I cut in front of, I just couldn't stop!
G Daddy

Chelmsford, MA

#3 Dec 13, 2010
I believe the Chelmsford town employee driving that DPW truck was going too fast for the conditions. Too many times the DPW drivers in the town are going much too fast. I called the Chelmsford PD last winter on one such occasion, the guy driving a snow plow was going 40 MPH on my side dtreet while the school buses were picked up children. Evenutally there will be a accident that results in injury or loss of life.
BGE

Salem, NH

#4 Dec 13, 2010
It might not have been entirely expected, but as cold as it has been over the past few weeks city officials should have known the ground would be cold. And with the temps going below freezing overnight, black ice should have been on everyone's mind. Lowell was on the edge of the expected area of sleet and freezing rain. It could easily have moved east to include Lowell. Everyone should have been on alert and checking the roadways before the public got up and out.
Really2010

Boston, MA

#5 Dec 13, 2010
We live in New England - we should always be prepared for anything. Everyone should be commended for the jobs they did - why always point the finger and cast blame!
Chris

Wellesley, MA

#6 Dec 13, 2010
Really2010 wrote:
We live in New England - we should always be prepared for anything. Everyone should be commended for the jobs they did - why always point the finger and cast blame!
I agree, unfortunately no one is responsible for their own actions anymore. Drive off the road due to ice, it's not your fault for going to fast for the conditions, blame the DPW for taking to long to respond. Unless people want to pay them to sit there and wait for icy conditions, it will always take a bit of time for them to respond since they all come in from home. You can't anticipate everything in life.
Thank Mass Voters

Lowell, MA

#7 Dec 13, 2010
Thankfully, Mass voters had the foresight to vote against rolling back the sales tax. This would have severeley crippled cities' and towns' abilities to alleviate these weather related risks. Thank you to all the DPW workers, fire, police and emergency professionals for all your hard work in Merrimack Valley this weekend!!!
bernies folly

Billerica, MA

#8 Dec 13, 2010
"Lynch said Snow is being paid more because he spent more than 20 years with the Navy's Civil Engineer Corps in locales around the world -- Guam, Cuba and Saudi Arabia"
clearly, the navy captain did not deal with ice at any of these locales
Lowellguy

Lowell, MA

#10 Dec 13, 2010
I agree that the City Of Lowell should have had the wisdom to sand and salt the streets of Lowell prior to multiple accidents.This is common sense,not rocket science.32 degrees and water freezes!A lot of $ could have been saved had the city recognized the hazards of ice on the streets of Lowell! Compare the cost of sending out sanders VS the cost of responding to multiple accidents within the city.I saw and heard so many emergency response vehicles going out to these accidents.Get with it.
Fed Up in Lowell

Burlington, MA

#11 Dec 13, 2010
Do we blame the DPW for responding too slow OR do we blame the city officials who frown upon overtime ? If employees had been on "standby" because weather forecasts called for freezing rain and the rain never froze then there would be whining about employees getting paid overtime for nothing.The city doesn't pay the damage claims for these auto accidents...all of our car insurance companies pay those claims. The only way to to combat winter weather is to have the personnel in place before the weather hits...this costs money that no none wants to spend. The result is Sunday morning. Thanks for doing the best you can do with what you have DPW workers...if it's not your boss up your a$$ it's the whiny residents !
The point is

San Jose, CA

#13 Dec 13, 2010
I think one fact is being overlooked here. Lynch basically said, Snow is paid the extra money for the job, because he is NOT the average guy for the job, because of his background, he would be a better employee for the job. Yet when Lynch comes to Snows defense, he says the other surrounding towns were late responding also. But I thought he was supposed to be better than the average employee for this job?? I guess it turns out, he would do the job just like anyone else would, right Bernie? He just gets paid more to do it. Our politics at work.
Sandra Castellano

Framingham, MA

#14 Dec 13, 2010
I was on the road at 8 am and I could not even stop at the bottom of my hill. I drove from Chelmsford to Dracut while on my way to work and I did not see one sander on the road!!! I did see 3 ambulances and 4 accidents!!! but no sanders!!! But I probobly should have checked Dunkins Parking lot....It took over an hour to get there. It usually takes me 20 mins.
anon

Lowell, MA

#15 Dec 13, 2010
"Lowell City Manager Bernie Lynch said the Department of Public Works sent crews out as soon as police reported the black ice."

The mark of a genious.
winter warlock

Westford, MA

#16 Dec 13, 2010
anon wrote:
"Lowell City Manager Bernie Lynch said the Department of Public Works sent crews out as soon as police reported the black ice."
The mark of a genious.
Shouldn't the DPW have been monitoring the weather and street conditions themselves? Its not like this event was not predicted!
Graniteville

Chelmsford, MA

#17 Dec 13, 2010
G Daddy wrote:
I believe the Chelmsford town employee driving that DPW truck was going too fast for the conditions. Too many times the DPW drivers in the town are going much too fast. I called the Chelmsford PD last winter on one such occasion, the guy driving a snow plow was going 40 MPH on my side dtreet while the school buses were picked up children. Evenutally there will be a accident that results in injury or loss of life.
I agree, the big fat guy who operates the town dump trucks and sanders drives like an idiot. The Chelmsford PD know who this townie is. They let him get away with it. On a snowy day he will be the one driving on North road, he'll be doing 60 and tailgating you.
Ron

Tyngsboro, MA

#18 Dec 13, 2010
I was out because I had to be and all I saw were typical Lowell idiots speeding and going way to fast for conditions.

One fool flew by me on route 3 and was spun out five minutes up the road. It was his own fault.

Slow down and you will be fine. The cars going 45 instead of 55 to 70 on route 3 had NO problems.
Mr Sandman

Lowell, MA

#19 Dec 13, 2010
It's my fault. I used extra sand when I put Mr. Snow to sleep late Saturday night.
It's no surprise he slept through th whole thing.
My bad.
Cynthia in Dracut

Tyngsboro, MA

#20 Dec 13, 2010
The roads were full of maniac drivers. In a way they are getting what they deserve when they crash. I lived in Denver and we had much more snow and ice than here.Colorado treated the roads with far fewer chemicals but we had much better drivers and less accidents than here. It would be funny except people die and we all pay for the dumb drivers and their crashes with insurance rates that are way too high.
Slow down and you will do fine. The roads are not dangerous but the drivers are.
loweller

Kansas City, MO

#22 Dec 13, 2010
Good thing this was a Sunday morning with not many people out there. The lowell roads were treacherous around 8:00. Hope they can get things done a bit quicker next time.
Dr Oz

Boston, MA

#23 Dec 13, 2010
I wish there was a way we could get a satellite and some sort of a way to communicate that there will be icy rain on the way. This way we could come up with a way to somehow melt the ice on the road way before people drive on them in the morning. We could then predict rain, snow and other weather before it happens.

Jesus...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dracut Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Urban gangs seen moving into suburbs (Jun '06) Sat Go Blue Forever 29
Should an uninsured driver from NH be allowed t... (Aug '08) Jun 24 Umm23 113
News Plethora of pollen blamed on erratic weather pa... Jun 22 Buzz Lightyear 3
Section 8 Fraud (Sep '08) Jun 18 Emily 336
lowell crime stories as remebered by residents (Jul '08) Jun 16 Linda 759
Do you remember???? (Jun '08) Jun 14 Wondering 17,972
News Lowell school budget cuts loom (May '10) Jun 10 Wondering 34
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dracut Mortgages