UMass makeover biting businesses?

UMass makeover biting businesses?

There are 42 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Dec 11, 2010, titled UMass makeover biting businesses?. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

The UMass Lowell Inn and Conference Center has quickly positioned itself as the marquee function facility in the Greater Lowell region.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Hack

Lowell, MA

#1 Dec 11, 2010
Mike Lenzi should stop crying. He does the same thing out of Greater Lowell Tech school. How many functions has his business taking away from the rest of the area because of his involvement on the board? Doesn't Greater Lowell have their own function room? But Mike must need the money more, so the school pays him to do the dinners. Marty is doing a wonderful job at UMASS Lowell and I hope it continues. Mike I hope people run against you for the tech seat because you are the true hack. It must really s*ck to be on the other side Mike. Someone with much more power doing what you do best, backroom deals. Poor Mike Lenzi
Maura

Chelmsford, MA

#2 Dec 11, 2010
UML is not the only government funded competition the local caterers have - yesterday UTEC (United Teen Equality Council) who get enormous amounts of city, state and federal grants, sent out an e-mail blast that they have hired a renowned Boston chef and have gone into the catering business.
WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE!?! Since when is it the job of government funded organizations to compete with Mom & Pop businesses. THIS IS WRONG. UML's goal is to educate - period. UTEC is supposed to keep kids in school and out of gangs - period. They are NOT supposed to be taking the bread out of the mouths of families who work for legitimate private businesses by competing with them.
I used to make large contributions to UTEC but no more. Their foray into the catering business has cost them my support. Good Luck Greg!
teacher

Dracut, MA

#3 Dec 11, 2010
Mike Lenzi does a great job for the students at Greater Lowell Tech. We have NO function room. His building is the only one in the district that could hold all our kids. By the way , the students pick the hall, not the committee.
And he does it at Cost!!! He charges only what it cost him to put out the food. He does not charge for the use of the room or anything else.
We went to double tree a few years ago for our prom and it was a disaster.
I know people on various boards in the city and they are getting calls from M.Meehan to move their events to the U-Mass building.
For those who don't like Mike because of what the newspaper says, give him a call and see how much he has given back to the community.
Remember, Mike is a local businessman. He has to make his payroll every week. If he doesn't,he layoffs workers or goes out of business.
If Marty gets NO business it doesn't affect him one bit!
Marty is the hack using his power, not Mike Lenzi
elected hack

Lowell, MA

#4 Dec 11, 2010
Maura wrote:
UML is not the only government funded competition the local caterers have - yesterday UTEC (United Teen Equality Council) who get enormous amounts of city, state and federal grants, sent out an e-mail blast that they have hired a renowned Boston chef and have gone into the catering business.
WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE!?! Since when is it the job of government funded organizations to compete with Mom & Pop businesses. THIS IS WRONG. UML's goal is to educate - period. UTEC is supposed to keep kids in school and out of gangs - period. They are NOT supposed to be taking the bread out of the mouths of families who work for legitimate private businesses by competing with them.
I used to make large contributions to UTEC but no more. Their foray into the catering business has cost them my support. Good Luck Greg!
Mike Lenzi does the same thing though the Voke. Uses his power to influence business at his mom and pop business. I agree with Hack.
Hack

Lowell, MA

#5 Dec 11, 2010
teacher wrote:
Mike Lenzi does a great job for the students at Greater Lowell Tech. We have NO function room. His building is the only one in the district that could hold all our kids. By the way , the students pick the hall, not the committee.
And he does it at Cost!!! He charges only what it cost him to put out the food. He does not charge for the use of the room or anything else.
We went to double tree a few years ago for our prom and it was a disaster.
I know people on various boards in the city and they are getting calls from M.Meehan to move their events to the U-Mass building.
For those who don't like Mike because of what the newspaper says, give him a call and see how much he has given back to the community.
Remember, Mike is a local businessman. He has to make his payroll every week. If he doesn't,he layoffs workers or goes out of business.
If Marty gets NO business it doesn't affect him one bit!
Marty is the hack using his power, not Mike Lenzi
Does that mean he is taking business away from the businesses because he is doing it at no cost? Does he get return business from the people who attend the events and make a profit off of those people? You failed to mention he is a current member of the Tech school commitee doing business though the school no matter if there is a profit or not he is taking business away from the local businesses. He is no better than Marty and the only reason he is crying is because Marty has more resources or Mike would be doing the same thing.
Hack

Lowell, MA

#6 Dec 11, 2010
The UMASS icc is in the district and can hold the events that come out of the Tech with no conflict.
No Wonder

Lowell, MA

#7 Dec 11, 2010
teacher wrote:
Mike Lenzi does a great job for the students at Greater Lowell Tech. We have NO function room. His building is the only one in the district that could hold all our kids. By the way , the students pick the hall, not the committee.
And he does it at Cost!!! He charges only what it cost him to put out the food. He does not charge for the use of the room or anything else.
We went to double tree a few years ago for our prom and it was a disaster.
I know people on various boards in the city and they are getting calls from M.Meehan to move their events to the U-Mass building.
For those who don't like Mike because of what the newspaper says, give him a call and see how much he has given back to the community.
Remember, Mike is a local businessman. He has to make his payroll every week. If he doesn't,he layoffs workers or goes out of business.
If Marty gets NO business it doesn't affect him one bit!
Marty is the hack using his power, not Mike Lenzi
Did Mike Lenzi get you your job? Another political hack trying to support their friend.
no more union looting

Dracut, MA

#8 Dec 11, 2010
socialism sucks

all hail Reich Chancellor Meehan!
Fyodor D

Billerica, MA

#9 Dec 11, 2010
Maura wrote:
UML is not the only government funded competition the local caterers have - yesterday UTEC (United Teen Equality Council) who get enormous amounts of city, state and federal grants, sent out an e-mail blast that they have hired a renowned Boston chef and have gone into the catering business.
WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE!?! Since when is it the job of government funded organizations to compete with Mom & Pop businesses. THIS IS WRONG. UML's goal is to educate - period. UTEC is supposed to keep kids in school and out of gangs - period. They are NOT supposed to be taking the bread out of the mouths of families who work for legitimate private businesses by competing with them.
I used to make large contributions to UTEC but no more. Their foray into the catering business has cost them my support. Good Luck Greg!
Maura, not sure about the "email blast" you received, but it seems you are misinformed about the hiring of UTEC's Fresh Roots catering chef. With no disrespect to the hiree, this person was far from a "renowned Boston chef"--in fact, the person in question is a former sous-chef (or chef's assistant). Moreover, UTEC receives only a portion of its funding from government grants ( http://www.utec-lowell.org/funders.php ). UTEC's catering venture is a part of the workforce development program that is designed to provide employment opportunities and foster personal/professional development of its participants. You note that "UTEC is supposed to keep kids in school and out of gangs" but do not offer any suggestions on how to facilitate this. In my mind, providing opportunities for youth to join the workforce and learn skills and values central to American civil society (entrepreneurship, work ethic, personal responsibility) is an effective way to keep kids out of gangs and involved in the community. Most importantly, it empowers teens by providing them an opportunity to participate in the legal economy--as opposed to illicit activities that are often seen as the only option for many of the forgotten members of our community.
That said, I am sorry to hear that you will no longer support UTEC...I hope you will rethink this decision.
Shaun

Tyngsboro, MA

#10 Dec 11, 2010
The one problem I have is that Meehan promised not to put a restaurant in the ICC in the proposal. There are a bunch of downtown restaurants near enough to the ICC that they should put in a cafeteria like Fox Hall, but leave the restaurants to the local businesses. I think this line just about sums up why local businesses are upset:

"The DoubleTree had lousy management and didn't do anything to compete. They just kind of existed over there. The ICC has become more aggressive in marketing downtown and going after the businesses."

The Double Tree was a dank run down husk of a hotel. Marty is doing what is best for UML. That is his job. He doesn't owe anything to Lenzi's or any other function hall.
marty mayhem

East Hampton, CT

#11 Dec 11, 2010
Ha hahaha! Predictable!
Brian

Tewksbury, MA

#12 Dec 11, 2010
If area function halls and hotels are having trouble competing then they should find ways to innovate and make themselves more attractive. Not all businesses have the same resources. It's a fact of commerce.

Also, the people that are screaming "socialism!" need to get a clue. This site attracts some truly ignorant commenters.
Top Chef

Lowell, MA

#13 Dec 11, 2010
Marty at it again......
local observer

Dracut, MA

#14 Dec 11, 2010
Brian wrote:
If area function halls and hotels are having trouble competing then they should find ways to innovate and make themselves more attractive. Not all businesses have the same resources. It's a fact of commerce.
Also, the people that are screaming "socialism!" need to get a clue. This site attracts some truly ignorant commenters.
I am very intelligent (far more than u are, fyi) and I mentioned socialism

soooooo, govt. operated restaurants and hotels are NOT socialism?

what do we call it then.......?

Engles-ism?

Martyism?

Kennedyism?

Bushism?

Geitner-rama?

I'm open to some new terminology, I guess...
local observer

Dracut, MA

#15 Dec 11, 2010
Top Chef wrote:
Marty at it again......
I predict the whole place will have to be demo'd for.....

bed bugs

bed bugs will be like the virus in War of the Worlds that will (perhaps?) topple Marty's empire....(dreaming I guess...)
Knows Better

Haverhill, MA

#16 Dec 11, 2010
These downtown businesses are never satisfied. Rourke is about as Italian as Barak Obama. Oh yeah, he grew up near the old Italian Club. Nothing but a whiner, and your food's not that good either.
Wow

Lowell, MA

#17 Dec 11, 2010
I guess Lenzi's would like to see the Doubletree dark and boarded up... People may complain about this whole hotel deal but it's ability to house people in the summer for event's held in the downtown area is the best thing. So what if there's a restaurant it's bringing people into this city. Find better ways to market the businesses you own and as the saying goes in the Field of Dreams " You build it and they will come"..
Sk1ds

Lowell, MA

#18 Dec 11, 2010
That's life. That's like video stores complaining about redbox, netflix, and illegal downloading.
Lowell Voter

Lowell, MA

#19 Dec 11, 2010
Glad to see the ICC upping the ante in Downtown and making it more attractive and competitive. Would be nice if the self proclaimed "mom and pop's" invested in their businesses also and offered somethign people wne to BY CHOICE rather than just because that is all there is available...
See the Light

Dracut, MA

#20 Dec 12, 2010
Dear Kool-Aid Drinking Teacher,

How can you say GLTHS has no function room? GLTHS has hosted successful Superintendent's Dinners in the school's Mall for years. This event typically has over 200 guests. The food is prepared in the Artisan Kitchen and has always received rave reviews. In the past, underclassmen have held their semi-formal proms at the school as well. Certainly this demonstrates the school has more than adequate function facilities.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dracut Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Advocates push for in-state rates for undocumen... 22 hr Vote Trump 2020 30
keno in massachusetts (Nov '08) Jul 20 rehana vaidya 82
Do you remember???? (Jun '08) Jul 17 Bob KA-58 18,317
Low Frequency Hum - Industrial Noise? (Mar '10) Jul 15 hum-no-more 57
Billerica crim,e 70s 80s 90s (Jul '08) Jul 13 Gazzo60 373
Robbery. Millpond road Jul 12 Billerica Mom 1
News Lo-Kai lambastes radio report of impending sale... (Nov '10) Jul 10 WCAP is ALL Fake ... 8

Dracut Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dracut Mortgages