Privacy at issue in Lowell gas theft

Privacy at issue in Lowell gas theft

There are 33 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Jul 8, 2010, titled Privacy at issue in Lowell gas theft. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

After a hidden video camera was installed at the Lowell Regional Water Utility to capture workers Keith Murphy and Ronald Mercier allegedly stealing gas and oil, Murphy admitted to police he stole the camera.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
oh come on

Dracut, MA

#22 Jul 8, 2010
Taking office supplies from a workplace is stealing. Most employers don't bother doing anything about it or they keep the expensive stuff like batteries locked up so you have to ask the office manager for them. But it's stealing. Paperclip or gasoline. Don't kid yourself.
Lynda

Lowell, MA

#23 Jul 8, 2010
oh come on wrote:
Taking office supplies from a workplace is stealing. Most employers don't bother doing anything about it or they keep the expensive stuff like batteries locked up so you have to ask the office manager for them. But it's stealing. Paperclip or gasoline. Don't kid yourself.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. It is so sad to read some of these posts which try to justify stealing in the workplace. It is simply wrong to do it. Are we all to pick and choose which laws we can break and when?

What has happened to society? Stealing is wrong.
Kim

Dracut, MA

#24 Jul 8, 2010
What is sad is that these guys have still not learned their lesson. I see them sleeping all over the city and when I come back by an hour later they are still snoozing. Do these guys have to clock in and out?
DLH

Memphis, TN

#25 Jul 9, 2010
Isn't that Cute Mercier Get's a Decent
Paying Job from the City No Doubt
his Grandfather got him the Job and
he Ruins it because he is a Thief
Another one Caught Bernie Lynch is doing
a great Job getting rid of all the Corrupt
that's been going on for years
ked

Merrimack, NH

#26 Jul 9, 2010
Only the Phantom knows for sure. right Lowell?
Concerned citizen

Lowell, MA

#27 Jul 9, 2010
I cannot understand why they are on "PAID" administrative leave. That's like giving them a vacation. If they are accused of doing something wrong, they should NOT get paid until they are cleared. If they did not work for the city, they would be fired on the spot.
ked

Merrimack, NH

#28 Jul 9, 2010
fly on the wall wrote:
Dan Lahiff takes trips to Vegas every october to cheat on his wife with his girlfriend Trish. Woodard and Curran picks up his tab. Just so happens they oversee and get contracted with any and all water department out sourced work. Why does the city continue to hide this?
This is good. You can't make this stuff up. Mrs L and I want to know more about Trish and The young tomatoe from Dracut.!!!
Richard

Lowell, MA

#29 Jul 9, 2010
Concerned citizen wrote:
I cannot understand why they are on "PAID" administrative leave. That's like giving them a vacation. If they are accused of doing something wrong, they should NOT get paid until they are cleared. If they did not work for the city, they would be fired on the spot.
Thank you. Good call. What a mess.
Jerk

Saugus, MA

#30 Jul 9, 2010
Hey Jerk, they weren't stealing WASTE oil but real gas.They are crooks and should be fired.The people of Lowell don't need crooks in goverment too we deal enough with the bums on the street.
kerry wrote:
Jeff Whitman is a rat that hides behind his "DAD". Steve Torres is a puppet for Jeff. If the Department head wanted cameras he should have gone the route of the LPD which would have been the law abiding way to do things. The witnesses are the ones that won't come into work for a main break if Jeff ia not the foreman. The whole thing stinks. It's a vendetta for the Steroid charge that was a fact and Jeff is now out for blood at any cost. I hope the whole thing blows wide open. Waste oil has been allowed to be taken for years. No one wants it and it costs the City money to get rid of it. The supervisor who cant recall giving permission is a liar. One of the good ole boys. Wit for this trial and see who gets called to testify and what they have to say. Heads will cetainly turn.
Fly on the wall

Boston, MA

#31 Jul 9, 2010
Jerk wrote:
Hey Jerk, they weren't stealing WASTE oil but real gas.They are crooks and should be fired.The people of Lowell don't need crooks in goverment too we deal enough with the bums on the street.
<quoted text>
Jerk is Geoff Whitman. Come on Geoff if you're going to put a name up here at least make it difficult! We all know your a JERK.

P.S. how long did you sit in Danny's office today? I know you might have punched in, but did you work?
Ralph

Windham, NH

#32 Nov 23, 2011
Why hasn't the city manager fired dan lahif. he ADMITTED to taking city fueled generators to his house run by city employees on overtime. This and to a slew of other charges. Fire the manager for DISCRIMINATION!
Good prediction

Newton, NH

#33 Apr 13, 2013
kerry wrote:
Jeff Whitman is a rat that hides behind his "DAD". Steve Torres is a puppet for Jeff. If the Department head wanted cameras he should have gone the route of the LPD which would have been the law abiding way to do things. The witnesses are the ones that won't come into work for a main break if Jeff ia not the foreman. The whole thing stinks. It's a vendetta for the Steroid charge that was a fact and Jeff is now out for blood at any cost. I hope the whole thing blows wide open. Waste oil has been allowed to be taken for years. No one wants it and it costs the City money to get rid of it. The supervisor who cant recall giving permission is a liar. One of the good ole boys. Wit for this trial and see who gets called to testify and what they have to say. Heads will cetainly turn.
2 years later and now he too has gotten his just deserves. Good, hope he turns around now and rat's out Lahiff and starts the cycle all over again. Lahiff should be gone, gone, gone.
carma

Newton, NH

#34 Apr 13, 2013
Jerk wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Whit, remember these words? Oh what a tangled web we weave. Hows termination treating you so far?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dracut Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
lowell crime stories as remebered by residents (Jul '08) Jul 1 Sheils 727
keno in massachusetts (Nov '08) Jun 30 Yahoo 79
News Ex-Tewksbury tenants awarded $726G for mold ordeal (Mar '09) Jun 29 susan 31
News Lowell mother held without bail after fleeing f... Jun 29 hammerhead 1
Billerica crim,e 70s 80s 90s (Jul '08) Jun 28 donna 347
News Deja vu for driver in Lowell police chase (Jan '09) Jun 28 Full time creep 21
Do you remember???? (Jun '08) Jun 27 Wondering 17,887
More from around the web

Dracut People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Dracut Mortgages