Privacy at issue in Lowell gas theft

Full story: Lowell Sun

After a hidden video camera was installed at the Lowell Regional Water Utility to capture workers Keith Murphy and Ronald Mercier allegedly stealing gas and oil, Murphy admitted to police he stole the camera.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of33
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Oct 07

Dracut, Mass.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2010

They wanted privacy while stealing gas and oil. That's a great excuse for stealing the camera.

This story was in Breaking News yesterday, now it's off the home page completely. Are some Mercier's pulling strings with the Lowell Sun?
Mayflower

North Andover, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2010

These two guys are morons and deserve to be terminated for their actions but it also sounds like they were set up by others in the department. Sounds like a complete house cleaning is called for. A professional city manager should demand nothing less. All of these people are very replacable with competent professionals who aren't related to ANYBODY in this job market. Bernie, do your job.
kerry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2010

Jeff Whitman is a rat that hides behind his "DAD". Steve Torres is a puppet for Jeff. If the Department head wanted cameras he should have gone the route of the LPD which would have been the law abiding way to do things. The witnesses are the ones that won't come into work for a main break if Jeff ia not the foreman. The whole thing stinks. It's a vendetta for the Steroid charge that was a fact and Jeff is now out for blood at any cost. I hope the whole thing blows wide open. Waste oil has been allowed to be taken for years. No one wants it and it costs the City money to get rid of it. The supervisor who cant recall giving permission is a liar. One of the good ole boys. Wit for this trial and see who gets called to testify and what they have to say. Heads will cetainly turn.
honey

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2010

Lets put this to sleep once and for all
fly on the wall

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2010

Dan Lahiff and Geoff Whitman must be worried. Geoff can be seen every ten minutes sitting in Lahiff's office.

Must be planning tonights work out schedule?
JWL

Montgomery, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2010

"Waste oil has been allowed to be taken for years. No one wants it and it costs the City money to get rid of it."

If no one wants it, than why are people taking it?
fly on the wall

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2010

Eric Ryder’s head to far up Dan Lahiff arse. This is why Ryder doesn’t recall employees asking to take waste oil. He never heard them!
Alan Gersans

Wellesley Hills, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2010

These characters,blew a great job!!! And for what?! A few gallons of gas! My mommy always told me,"if your going to ruin your good name,do it for millions! Not chump change"! These types of jobs don't come around too often. IU was put these fellow up their with Hank Golec they deserve to enter the Stupiedst Criminal Hall Of Shame!!!
Double duh

Bedford, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2010

These two are apparently stupid fools who couldn't even get their story straight. And what happenes as soon as they get caught? Like two thieves, they turn on each other... Classic Dracut, too, for the kid not resign from the school committee. The dope will probably get re-elected by the oh-so-discriminating voters. Sickening.
fly on the wall

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2010

I wonder if Geoff Whitman will go into another steroid induced rage when he reads his name on these posts. What’s the problem Geoff? Daddy can’t help keep your name off the computer. That’s ok, at least you can go home and play pocket pool watching videos of your fellow employees working.
Dumb and Dummer

Westford, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2010

Who was the yahoo that hired these two?
I think they have some 'splainin to do.
Someone who knows

Billerica, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2010

Everyone seems so surprised at what took place at the water dept. Dan doesn’t like these gentlemen at all and he did what he did to get back at them. As far as Dan goes, he is one of the biggest thief’s at the water dept. Mechanics fixing his personal car while during work hours and buying the parts for his vehicle with city P.O.’s. Coming in after hours and taking water dept property home, taking items from vendors which is against the state ethics board which I’m sure Dan signed like all other city employees. Most of the other staff managers are in with Dan. My understanding is that you’re either with Dan or against him. And he will do everything to make those people miserable. I’m not saying that what these employees did was right, but maybe Dan could have pulled them aside and told that this was unacceptable and ended the situation right there, which is what a good boss should have done. So who is setting up cameras to watch him? The bottom line is that Dan is not clean and he is a hypocrite. And if the city doesn’t look into Dan and his posse they might be hypocrites too. Maybe the city manager should ask current and ex water dept employee’s if any of this stuff is true. He might not like what he hears. Everybody wants to see these two guys get raked over the barrels for peanuts, when you have management making thousands of dollars more than these guys getting away with the same thing.
fly on the wall

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2010

Dan Lahiff takes trips to Vegas every october to cheat on his wife with his girlfriend Trish. Woodard and Curran picks up his tab. Just so happens they oversee and get contracted with any and all water department out sourced work. Why does the city continue to hide this?
Ron

Tewksbury, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2010

Mayflower wrote:
These two guys are morons and deserve to be terminated for their actions but it also sounds like they were set up by others in the department. Sounds like a complete house cleaning is called for. A professional city manager should demand nothing less. All of these people are very replacable with competent professionals who aren't related to ANYBODY in this job market. Bernie, do your job.
Set up? Just how do you force someone to break the law and steal. As noted in the very first post privacy is what you want when you are stealing. Privacy is what you want when you don't want to be caught. I had cameras filming me for 30 years at work and it never entered my mind to steal.

A thief is a thief. Wawawa..if these two are guilty they should confess and take what is coming to them. The time is here to man up.
Nancy

Tewksbury, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2010

Alan Gersans wrote:
These characters,blew a great job!!! And for what?! A few gallons of gas! My mommy always told me,"if your going to ruin your good name,do it for millions! Not chump change"! These types of jobs don't come around too often. IU was put these fellow up their with Hank Golec they deserve to enter the Stupiedst Criminal Hall Of Shame!!!
You must be younger than me. My parents taught me to not ruin my name for any price.
Nancy

Tewksbury, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2010

Someone who knows wrote:
Everyone seems so surprised at what took place at the water dept. Dan doesn’t like these gentlemen at all and he did what he did to get back at them. As far as Dan goes, he is one of the biggest thief’s at the water dept. Mechanics fixing his personal car while during work hours and buying the parts for his vehicle with city P.O.’s. Coming in after hours and taking water dept property home, taking items from vendors which is against the state ethics board which I’m sure Dan signed like all other city employees. Most of the other staff managers are in with Dan. My understanding is that you’re either with Dan or against him. And he will do everything to make those people miserable. I’m not saying that what these employees did was right, but maybe Dan could have pulled them aside and told that this was unacceptable and ended the situation right there, which is what a good boss should have done. So who is setting up cameras to watch him? The bottom line is that Dan is not clean and he is a hypocrite. And if the city doesn’t look into Dan and his posse they might be hypocrites too. Maybe the city manager should ask current and ex water dept employee’s if any of this stuff is true. He might not like what he hears. Everybody wants to see these two guys get raked over the barrels for peanuts, when you have management making thousands of dollars more than these guys getting away with the same thing.
You are making this a personal thing when it is a criminal matter. Regardless of what else is going on there handle this matter for what it is: a CRIME.

The other matters can be investigated later. In the meantime nobody should get a pass from obeying the law. This isn't about what everyone else did it is about what these two were caught doing.
Someone who knows

Billerica, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2010

Nancy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are making this a personal thing when it is a criminal matter. Regardless of what else is going on there handle this matter for what it is: a CRIME.
The other matters can be investigated later. In the meantime nobody should get a pass from obeying the law. This isn't about what everyone else did it is about what these two were caught doing.
I don't know what you do for a living but if your boss secreatly placed a video camera to spy on you and then got caught placing a pen or pencil in to your purse. What would be your reaction to being fired for a sneaky move by your boss. You don't get it. They wanted to catch these guys for personal reasons. How about their history as employeees, I don't beleve that they had anything on these guys. They gat caught and they are paying for it now. But how they where caught is what bothers me. just don't tell me that people all over the country wheater private or public don't take things for work. Wheather it's paper clips or pens or anything.
Nancy

Tewksbury, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2010

YOU don't get it. Their history of employees is that they are thieves who got caught. Sounds like you may be too close to this incident to judge it fairly...a thief is a thief.

If found guilty throw the book at them.

Right to privacy should never be confused with right to steal.
Nancy

Tewksbury, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2010

Someone who knows wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know what you do for a living but if your boss secreatly placed a video camera to spy on you and then got caught placing a pen or pencil in to your purse. What would be your reaction to being fired for a sneaky move by your boss. You don't get it. They wanted to catch these guys for personal reasons. How about their history as employeees, I don't beleve that they had anything on these guys. They gat caught and they are paying for it now. But how they where caught is what bothers me. just don't tell me that people all over the country wheater private or public don't take things for work. Wheather it's paper clips or pens or anything.
By the way...your post sickens me. Guess what? I never considered taking a pen or paperclip. Where are YOUR morals and who raised you to be that way?

How they were caught doesn't matter...a thief is a thief. If they obeyed the law they would not be in trouble. Come on. I have no sympathy for them. If they were non white the Sun Forum would be full of "deport them" posts. Why should these two be judged by a different standard?

All I care about is if they are guilty. If they are I couldn't care less how they were caught. Honesty should be based on if you have a camera on you. It comes from your moral makeup and soul.
Nancy

Tewksbury, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2010

"...should not..".

Anyway they are getting their day in court. Roll the tape and let IT decide if they are guilty.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of33
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Dracut Discussions

Search the Dracut Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Dracut man admits to vandalizing neighbor's hom... 19 hr Tony Stark 1
Mafia in Billerica? (Sep '09) Wed Tony Stark 29
N.H. Mom Charged In Deadly Police Chase (Aug '06) Apr 15 was in a hurry 253
30-month term in Lowell stabbing (Mar '08) Apr 13 Duck 44
why do girls lie about being pregnant? (Apr '09) Apr 13 Sad 19
High on Crack Street (Aug '08) Apr 12 brinalea 146
MA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Massachus... (Oct '10) Apr 10 Subvet642 4,664
•••
•••

Dracut News Video

•••
•••

Dracut Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Dracut People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••