'Staggering' need at food pantries

There are 20 comments on the Nov 23, 2010, Lowell Sun story titled 'Staggering' need at food pantries. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

Siobhan LeBlanc stood yesterday morning with her 2-year-old son Jacoby, waiting for her number to be called at the Open Pantry.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Justice

Lowell, MA

#1 Nov 23, 2010
"Those who are not able to produce a Social Security card and proof of residency are turned away".

That means they are not humans and do not feel hungry?

You guys should investigate those people and find out why they do not qualify. I'm pretty sure its not their fault.

Jesus Christ will remenber those that refuse food to their own brothers in Christ.
Justice

Lowell, MA

#2 Nov 23, 2010
Happy Thankgiving?
How?
really

Plymouth, MA

#3 Nov 23, 2010
4 kids and one on the way...here's an idea...stop having children if you cant afford to buy them food.
Dracut

Stoughton, MA

#4 Nov 23, 2010
So what is the difference between a food bank and a food pantry?
BigBensGuidetoCh icks

Cambridge, MA

#5 Nov 23, 2010
I don't understand, am I supposed to feel bad for Siobhan LeBlanc? Maybe she should charge for well, um ya know what she's been giving away.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#6 Nov 23, 2010
Dracut wrote:
So what is the difference between a food bank and a food pantry?
A food bank collects and distributes food to the food pantries.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#7 Nov 23, 2010
Justice wrote:
"Those who are not able to produce a Social Security card and proof of residency are turned away".
You guys should investigate those people and find out why they do not qualify. I'm pretty sure its not their fault.
Jesus Christ will remenber those that refuse food to their own brothers in Christ.
I'm sure they give all of the food out to people who need it and probably to some that don't. If they give it to illegal immigrants it will just serve to encourage illegal immigration. It's not a perfect world. In a perfect world no one would go hungry. No one would take advantage of others.
Fedup

Harvard, MA

#8 Nov 23, 2010
really wrote:
4 kids and one on the way...here's an idea...stop having children if you cant afford to buy them food.
Agreed! Siobhan LeBlanc needs to get some birth control. I'm sure her other kids would be thankful for that.

Since: Jun 08

Lowell, MA

#9 Nov 23, 2010
Justice wrote:
I agree...How can you turn away someone who is hungry? We shouldn't have hunger in our country....very sad.
concerned citizen

Andover, MA

#10 Nov 23, 2010
Fedup wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed! Siobhan LeBlanc needs to get some birth control. I'm sure her other kids would be thankful for that.
Maybe if her insurance would cover it she would
Telmark

Chico, CA

#11 Nov 23, 2010
Condoms are very cheap.

Besides, many County Health and Human Service Departments give them out for free.
OOPS

Contoocook, NH

#12 Nov 23, 2010
Justice wrote:
Well they are probably Illegal Aliens why else would they not have a social security card.
OOPS

Contoocook, NH

#13 Nov 23, 2010
Fedup wrote:
<quoted text>
She should be made to have her tubes tied!!!!

“Do I care? NO!”

Since: Jan 08

Lowell, MA

#14 Nov 23, 2010
Telmark wrote:
Condoms are very cheap.
Besides, many County Health and Human Service Departments give them out for free.
Abstinence is even cheaper. Keep the legs closed until you know you can afford to care for your children.
only dracut being dracut

Allston, MA

#15 Nov 23, 2010
nothing sadder than hungry children in this country,illegal or not.
let's pick our battles. this is not one of them.
give what you can, charity has no face,only heart.
Fedup

Harvard, MA

#16 Nov 23, 2010
concerned citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe if her insurance would cover it she would
It does, Mass Health..ever heard of it. It covers birth control.
jury leader

AOL

#17 Nov 23, 2010
Does the Lowell Sun intentionally put things in their paper such as a woman looking for food and has 4+ children to get a response from irate people?
jury leader

AOL

#18 Nov 23, 2010
Did the Lowell Sun intentionally publish Ms. Leblanc's name to make her the target of their Topix feature?
Is the sun that desperate for viewers? I agree that Ms. Leblanc should have received birth cobtrol pills for Thanksgiving but I don't think the Sun needed to add the info about her children.
Cracker Jax

United States

#19 Nov 23, 2010
only dracut being dracut wrote:
Ditto...and thanks for that post. I am humbled by it. Seems like there are a lot of judgemental and heartless people on this site. Obviously, they have never walked in another's shoes. How sad are they?

“Do I care? NO!”

Since: Jan 08

Lowell, MA

#20 Nov 23, 2010
only dracut being dracut wrote:
Oh i give. No doubt about that but what irks me are the ones who truly do not need the help. Where i work i see it everyday. People who keep having children even though they know they can't afford it. Like the ones who are already receiving welfare. They know they can't make it on their own which is why they're already on assistance. Yet they in out and have another child. These are the type people we are upset with. I'm a single mother with two kids. Before i had my youngest i made sure i could take care of him on my own. Some of these people have grown dependent on other people. And their children are suffering because of them. That's whats sad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dracut Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Billerica crim,e 70s 80s 90s (Jul '08) 14 hr Melissa Perez 343
Freedom of Thought, Belief and Religion Fri Lightbearer 44
Do you remember???? (Jun '08) Apr 21 dingodevil 17,840
lowell crime stories as remebered by residents (Jul '08) Apr 21 ajs7421 716
Review: Acculocity Inc Apr 17 endworkslavery 1
Where are Lowell's most haunted places? (Jun '08) Apr 17 Tony Stark 827
News Tewksbury attorney disbarred again (Jan '11) Apr 11 Nellie 16
More from around the web

Dracut People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE