Pedestrian hit, hurt by pickup truck ...

Pedestrian hit, hurt by pickup truck in Lowell

There are 20 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Jun 16, 2010, titled Pedestrian hit, hurt by pickup truck in Lowell. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

It was a case of being in the right place at the right time. Margaret Perry, of Lowell, was headed to the Registry of Motor Vehicles on Middlesex Street when she noticed 22-year-old Mikaela Merced crossing the street a few feet ahead.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

Ace

Waltham, MA

#1 Jun 16, 2010
I hope this teaches other pedestrians a lesson. So many times I've encountered pedestrians walking across the street w/o even looking left or right expecting drivers to stop for them. It's this right of passage mentality that get's people run over. Didn't your parents ever teach you to look left and right, then left again before you cross?
The Dinkinator

Chicago, IL

#2 Jun 16, 2010
What happened to the other "Pedestrian Hit By Car" story?
http://www.lowellsun.com/local/ci_15275837
shaking head

Stoneham, MA

#3 Jun 16, 2010
Ace wrote:
I hope this teaches other pedestrians a lesson. So many times I've encountered pedestrians walking across the street w/o even looking left or right expecting drivers to stop for them. It's this right of passage mentality that get's people run over. Didn't your parents ever teach you to look left and right, then left again before you cross?
In Lowell, the rule is to wait till a car is coming, then deliberately step out in frontof it
Really now

Wallingford, CT

#4 Jun 17, 2010
Yes, you are all correct with your comments, but unfortunately..it's the law to stop for pedestrians. It's a lose...lose situation.
Again

Boston, MA

#5 Jun 17, 2010
I agree that people & teenagers just walk right out in front of you while you are driving in Lowell. It has happened to me to many times to count.
However I also see that this man is 85 years old and Ms Perry stated the girl was already crossing the street before the old man came up and hit her.
It sounds to me that this man is to old to drive.
I am so tired of hearing how old people have injured and killed so many people while driving and NOW they get to apply for their license over the internet.
They should have to be tested completly (vision & driving) every year.
Honestly their health changes to fast for the worse.
I am glad this young lady is one of the lucky ones to survive from an old person driving.
Really now

Wallingford, CT

#6 Jun 17, 2010
85 yrs old...time to turn in the drivers license.
nerd police

Stoneham, MA

#7 Jun 17, 2010
shaking head wrote:
<quoted text>
In Lowell, the rule is to wait till a car is coming, then deliberately step out in frontof it
If you look both ways, cross at the corner or in a crosswalk, or display any courtesy at all, you're labeled as an out of towner, or a wuss..........
mary mcdonald

West Palm Beach, FL

#8 Jun 17, 2010
people shouldn't just walk accros the street without looking!
but they do it everywhere.
one time iwas driving down town lowell
and a man walked deliberty into my car.i had florida tags on my car(so the guy thought i was a rich you know what from florida!)
i slamed on my brakes and never hit him. i noticed i knew him from long ago when i lived in lowell. he used to work with my mother. when i told my mother about it she said;Oh he does that to get money from insurance companys!!!she said thats what he does to make money. NOW I REALIZE LOTS OF PEOPLE DO THIS!
Solution

Montgomery, AL

#9 Jun 17, 2010
local, state and federal transporation agencies have enough accident stats to bury a small town. How about looking at the ages when accidents spike upward for old people. Maybe 60-65 will require annual eye and mental competency tests... 65-70 could be semi-annual...over 70 and you are subject quarterly tests...whatever. The point is that there is evidence out there that will help lawmakers figure out at what age do accidents increase becasue of age and then write laws as such.
I guess it must be that there is no time to do any due dilligence in Congress when you are too busy working backroom deals and robbing taxpayers....
ROCKSTAR

Lowell, MA

#10 Jun 17, 2010
There are two really good points in this thread. First of all, arrogant people just walking in front of moving vehicles. When I've seen this, most of the time it's some teenager trying to act like a tough guy. It's funny how someday they will be drivers and probably have someone step out in front of them.
Second is the issue with older citizens driving poorly. I have a family member who is 90 and drove her car through her apartment building. We tried to tell her she cannot drive but her doctor said she'll be fine. No one was hurt in the incident, but it could have been really bad. Laws need to be passed that require senior citizens to show that they are fully capable of driving a car.
Whitey Bulger

Wellesley, MA

#11 Jun 17, 2010
Merced??? Is that another Porter Wreakin name in the news?
jess

Manchester, MA

#12 Jun 17, 2010
She had a bottle vodka she was chugging 5 mintues earlier near the homeless shelter, i watched the whole thing she clearly just wanted to get money and walk in front of him on person and sue the poor old man.
Birds suck

Lowell, MA

#13 Jun 17, 2010
The poor old man was being attacked by a pigeon right before the accident. Big pigeon...hope the old boy is OK.
The Outlook

Gloucester, MA

#14 Jun 17, 2010
Really now wrote:
Yes, you are all correct with your comments, but unfortunately..it's the law to stop for pedestrians. It's a lose...lose situation.
I agree it's the law. But some people are so arrogant when they're crossing the street. They don't even bother to look left or right to see if any cars coming toward them at a faster rate of speed. It's wrong to speed and it's wrong not to stop for pedestrains. But don't forget, you're gambling your life when you don't look at both sides of the street before crossing. YOU vs 4,000 LBS OR MORE. GOOD LUCK.
The Outlook

Gloucester, MA

#15 Jun 17, 2010
jess wrote:
She had a bottle vodka she was chugging 5 mintues earlier near the homeless shelter, i watched the whole thing she clearly just wanted to get money and walk in front of him on person and sue the poor old man.

Are you serious about the woman being drunk?
antonio marceds boyfriend

Haverhill, MA

#16 Jun 18, 2010
she was not drunk during the accident she was just crossing the street
Really now

Wallingford, CT

#17 Jun 18, 2010
The Outlook wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree it's the law. But some people are so arrogant when they're crossing the street. They don't even bother to look left or right to see if any cars coming toward them at a faster rate of speed. It's wrong to speed and it's wrong not to stop for pedestrains. But don't forget, you're gambling your life when you don't look at both sides of the street before crossing. YOU vs 4,000 LBS OR MORE. GOOD LUCK.
Ya, but then they get hit...their problem I guess...
The man was 85 yrs old. It's time for him to turn in his license anyways....
Natalie Dorsey

Macon, GA

#18 Jul 9, 2014
Mary McDonald you're simply a piece of shit and blatantly show that u carry no empathy or compassion. Are you stupid or just that big of a piece of shit? Instead of slowing down to give a fuck about human life you're more concerned with going to Starbucks. Pedestrians LAWFULLY have the right away u idiot. My brother rides speed bicycles that annoy most drivers But I always think if that were my brother or Dad...so I slow down and wait however many minutes of my life that it takes because I truly give a shit about other people. You're making yourself out to be a true sociopathic Hag.
He has to have Lord knows how many reconstructive surgerys on his face that YOU DAMAGED and you obviously could care less. You're worse than scum and I'm positive he'd prefer to have never came across such an inconsiderate No driving Bitch like yourself than take a penny from your insurance. You better pray you never come across me hunny...I'll show u what crazy is. That guy you hit came to the hospital and saw me while I was in a coma and we weren't even good friends. Your face is the one that deserves to be smashed..so it matches your rotten insides perfectly. You're a Spoiled nasty selfish excuse of human existence. I'm sure you take after your mother. I've copied this thread and your heartless post and I'll make sure I share so everyone knows what a Heartless Loser you are. TaTa
Ashley

Lowell, MA

#19 May 13, 2015
Jess is correct. I watched the whole thing. I was actually called by the courts to be a witness for th case way back then for the poor old man. She ran I front of his truck. Her bottle of vodka was found right by her also. We also thought she was pregnant at the time. But she wasn't due to bloating of acholism.
Ashley

Lowell, MA

#20 May 13, 2015
jess wrote:
Yup!!! What a crazy day that was! What side of the street did you witness it from?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dracut Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Should an uninsured driver from NH be allowed t... (Aug '08) 23 hr Umm23 113
News Plethora of pollen blamed on erratic weather pa... Jun 22 Buzz Lightyear 3
Section 8 Fraud (Sep '08) Jun 18 Emily 336
lowell crime stories as remebered by residents (Jul '08) Jun 16 Linda 759
Do you remember???? (Jun '08) Jun 14 Wondering 17,972
News Urban gangs seen moving into suburbs (Jun '06) Jun 13 Jlusc 28
News Lowell school budget cuts loom (May '10) Jun 10 Wondering 34
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dracut Mortgages