Lowell unveils plan to aid homeless

Full story: Lowell Sun

City officials have unveiled their 10-year plan to end homelessness in Lowell, part of a state and national effort to transform how the city, state and the nation address homelessness.
Comments
1 - 11 of 11 Comments Last updated Jun 7, 2013
C-J S

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2008

I am reading this article and yes, there has to be some resolve for the problem of homelessness. The sad part about it is there are many contributing factors why this ends up as a result. I certainly commend the efforts and all the thought that went into this proposition, however I am not hearing how to teach the person to fish. What can these people do to grow and change their circumstances?
There needs to be change in order too change. Providing is ok however this will just end up a generation dependancy unless we deal with the root of the issue. How did this happen and what measures or tools may we provide by empowerment? We need to help yes, to a certain degree by allowing them to keep their dignity and respect by earning things and assistance that helps you through the "bump" Let's all face it. I know it's not all people, but alot of programs like this actually keep people stuck.
Provide-Rehabs (dependence) to qualify- training programs for schooling- GED programs- education enhancement- case workers to see the follow through and provide staistical data to show it is working and or where future developements may take this to a higher level.
The saying is true: A fish given...you eat for the day
if taught to fish...you eat for life
Benji

Rochester, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2008

Yep - way to go. Give 'em all free housing and let 'em get settled in before anything else. Might as well give 'em free meals, free booze and free drugs so they won't feel pressured at all. Pure lunacy!
Tony

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2008

What about fuel assistance, food vouchers for people that work, but are still struggling to make ends meet? They pay taxes. Take care of them first.
Lowell just wants to look like they have no homeless to please the yuppies. You give some of these homeless people housing and in couple of months most of those places are going to be trashed so bad they'll have to be condemmed.
things will get better

Lincolnville, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2008

Benji wrote:
Yep - way to go. Give 'em all free housing and let 'em get settled in before anything else. Might as well give 'em free meals, free booze and free drugs so they won't feel pressured at all. Pure lunacy!
why should you care you live in nh right?
lisa

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2008

my son dylan mccullough was one of 8 students who wrote an essay on homeless plan I was hoping I could get a copy. How?
just me

Dracut, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

I can't believe the nerve of some people im a single mom disabled. With a son also disabled.I was married many years until I got sick.m
y husband sprung on me he was transgendered and wanted to be a woman leaving me and my son in a huge appartment on ssi and not being able to keep it going.I did it on my own for 2 years
now.fell behind on utilities and rent due to our being disabled.sorry you freely this way but all are not on drugs or drink and do everything to provide for our kids.
snim3

Sandown, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Honestly, I don't understand why there are so many homeless in America, left alone in Lowell. I'm sure all of you who live in Lowell know there are Cambodian, Vietnamese immigrants there. 20, 30 years ago, they came here with virtually NOTHING, couldn't even speak English, they made roughly $5 or $6 per hours on electronic assembler lines, if they couldn't find the job, they will do everything to earn money such mow lawn, clean house, toilet,.... they happily live/share things together yes, they're stable and live under the roof. Why can't American do the same?
If you made $100/month then find the way to spend $50 w/i a month and save $50. Can't afford mortgage, then rent. Can't afford rent? Rent a smaller house. Still can't afford? Rent ONE room, share with others. Learn to live within the mean of it. If immigrants could do it, they American should be able to do it. Adapt to the situation and get used to it.
Sla

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2013

just me wrote:
I can't believe the nerve of some people im a single mom disabled. With a son also disabled.I was married many years until I got sick.m
y husband sprung on me he was transgendered and wanted to be a woman leaving me and my son in a huge appartment on ssi and not being able to keep it going.I did it on my own for 2 years
now.fell behind on utilities and rent due to our being disabled.sorry you freely this way but all are not on drugs or drink and do everything to provide for our kids.
I agree with you. And sinm3.
Help the disable. And the others go to work.
Sla

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2013

Snim3.
Sla

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2013

just me wrote:
It's to bad what happened to you. You are better of with out him. He left with no sympathy for you or your son.
Screw him.
snim3

Sandown, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2013

Judged:

Sla wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you. And sinm3.
Help the disable. And the others go to work.
Help the disable? Sure. Everyone wants to help but please note, getting help from their family first.
For the disable lady above, I feel pain for her.
What she needs is getting help from her own family first? Doesn't she have parent? doesn't she have any sibling? Can she move in with them? Can they take her under their wings? Can they share. The more important question is "do they want to help her." I'm sure Oriented will take good care of their disable relatives and give them warm. Will American be able to do the same? SHARING?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Dracut Discussions

Search the Dracut Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Seabrook manager gets extra 5 months to move to... 5 hr Poor Seabrook 1
Market Basket ready to hire Thu Karen 2
MA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Massachus... (Oct '10) Thu jimmietsen 4,698
MA Who do you support for Governor in Massachusett... (Oct '10) Thu Dale Craven 1,152
Jessica Krutuleski (Oct '12) Wed Concerned 25
Dracut cop caught Jul 30 Really 3
Where are Lowell's most haunted places? (Jun '08) Jul 28 joe 814
•••
•••

Dracut News Video

•••
•••

Dracut Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••