Planned Easton BrewPub Moving from Po...

Planned Easton BrewPub Moving from Pomeroy's Department Store: ...

There are 46 comments on the The Morning Call story from Mar 3, 2009, titled Planned Easton BrewPub Moving from Pomeroy's Department Store: .... In it, The Morning Call reports that:

A brewpub that had been planned for the long-vacant former Pomeroy's department store in Easton is now headed across the street, officials announced Tuesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Alan Raisman

Allentown, PA

#42 Mar 7, 2009
I'm sick of the rivalry between Lafayette and Lehigh. We, as well as our alumni, need to come together and show that we are neither in Easton or in Bethlehem, but we are in the Lehigh Valley. The rivalry is comedic relief, but it should not be taken seriously.
comment

Korea

#43 Mar 7, 2009
What rivalry? Lafayatte dropped wresting years ago. Now we know you are a carpetbagger, because every true Valley resident know there is no such thing as the Lehigh Valley, but only ABE.

The Lehigh Valley moniker was driven home locally post 1994 by Jack Jordan of Bethlehem Steel in forming the LVED to market the region post collapse of Bethlehem Steel in similar fashion to a continguous area that borders a large metro area like Long Island, NY.

It was thought that by disassociating the names Allentown and Bethlehem that the Lehigh Valley would have better opportunity to attract and retain 2-3 Fortune 500 company relocations and other subsidiary operations of large domestic and international companies. A few came and went most notable Union Pacific Corporation while headed by Montgomery County native Drew Lewis.

In the intial years of usage, there was some good marketing done across an diversifed media buy in major newspapers and business journals. The name was agreed to be utilized by the local newspaper and press.

However, to this day, culturally there is great pride in the fifedoms of Pennsylvania and few when asked where are you from say, "I'm from the Lehigh Valley." They will say not only I am from Bethlehem or Allentown, but even sub areas such as I'm from Wyondotte Hill or West Bethlehem, though these areas have been incorporated into the city proper decades ago. The same thing holds true across all the townships. If I ask someone from South Whitehall Townships where are you from, they will say Allentown or even Cetronia, eventhough Cetronia is not a municipality, but an old undesignated area they now list as villages wihtin a township.

While I am working on Charlie Dent to consider US Census defining a greater economic cluster definition for higher amount of federal funding to have Allentown MSA be considered Lehigh, Northampton, Berks, Monroe, Carbon and Schuylkill, it will be a long-time until any area resonds that they are from the Lehigh Valley.

This is like saying Glendon, West Easton and Wilson are Easton.
Alan Raisman

Allentown, PA

#44 Mar 7, 2009
comment wrote:
Now we know you are a carpetbagger, because every true Valley resident know there is no such thing as the Lehigh Valley, but only ABE.
Can you please stop with the insults? I am a Lafayette College student, an Eastonian, and a resident of the Lehigh Valley! Stop with the nicknames, the insults, or any other words you want to call me.

I came to Easton three years ago as a Lafayette College student, and I will graduate from Lafayette College as a alumnus in May 2010. I take great pride in the City of Easton and the Lehigh Valley. Yes I know that ware are considered ABE, as that is what appears on every airplane arrival and departure screen, but it is the Lehigh Valley International Airport.

And yes, now people might say they are from Allentown because that is what is known. But Easton, Whitehall, Bethlehem, Emmaus, and other areas can become recognized if we continue the growth that is already occurring in our cities, towns, and neighborhoods.

Every city has its ups and downs, but it is the positive support from city residents that will cause the positive change that we are looking for.
AntiEgo

Catasauqua, PA

#45 Mar 8, 2009
comment wrote:
What rivalry? Lafayatte dropped wresting years ago. Now we know you are a carpetbagger, because every true Valley resident know there is no such thing as the Lehigh Valley, but only ABE.
The Lehigh Valley moniker was driven home locally post 1994 by Jack Jordan of Bethlehem Steel in forming the LVED to market the region post collapse of Bethlehem Steel in similar fashion to a continguous area that borders a large metro area like Long Island, NY.
It was thought that by disassociating the names Allentown and Bethlehem that the Lehigh Valley would have better opportunity to attract and retain 2-3 Fortune 500 company relocations and other subsidiary operations of large domestic and international companies. A few came and went most notable Union Pacific Corporation while headed by Montgomery County native Drew Lewis.
In the intial years of usage, there was some good marketing done across an diversifed media buy in major newspapers and business journals. The name was agreed to be utilized by the local newspaper and press.
However, to this day, culturally there is great pride in the fifedoms of Pennsylvania and few when asked where are you from say, "I'm from the Lehigh Valley." They will say not only I am from Bethlehem or Allentown, but even sub areas such as I'm from Wyondotte Hill or West Bethlehem, though these areas have been incorporated into the city proper decades ago. The same thing holds true across all the townships. If I ask someone from South Whitehall Townships where are you from, they will say Allentown or even Cetronia, eventhough Cetronia is not a municipality, but an old undesignated area they now list as villages wihtin a township.
While I am working on Charlie Dent to consider US Census defining a greater economic cluster definition for higher amount of federal funding to have Allentown MSA be considered Lehigh, Northampton, Berks, Monroe, Carbon and Schuylkill, it will be a long-time until any area resonds that they are from the Lehigh Valley.
This is like saying Glendon, West Easton and Wilson are Easton.
Wow, like to hear yourself type, much?
I wonder how many people lost a minute of their life by reading that little speech. I know I didn't

But I did read the end, and the zipcode for all is 18042 and will technically be called Easton.
Try telling someone to mail or deliver something to you in Glendon, West Easton or Wilson if you need to see for yourself (something tells me you believe no one who says anything counter to what you claim.) They will tell you it is Easton.
Sensible

Coplay, PA

#46 Mar 10, 2009
Easton has changed steadily for the worse since redevelopment cleared out the last of downtown's homeowners and moved in lots of public housing. There is no indication of any change in the city's direction. In fact, many of the tired programs that destroyed much of the city are being given a second opportunity to finish the job.
Rich

East Northport, NY

#47 Mar 28, 2009
I wish them the best. The sector continued to do well through 2008 with early year strength driving growth. If 3.5mm is intended to weather the next two years (we have no idea from this article) at flat cashflow they have a chance of succeeding. This, however, is a tough bet. Easton is a great town, but simply not a culinary or brewing hub. Please follow this story closely for us.....I wouldn't be surprised if this plan is shelved for a year or so given the current economic climate.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Downingtown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
glen mills schools (Sep '11) 7 hr chris Waldie 139
Inter County Rental Referrals SCAM! (Apr '14) Fri Gcw67 21
Hunter on Westtown Way Dec 28 Huntersrcowards 1
News Wachovia closing branches; community groups pro... (Dec '06) Dec '17 weapon X 6
Zack ruff Dec '17 Jon 4
News Chesco Vet Accused of Animal Cruelty (Jul '06) Sep '17 John 245
News Police Search Chesco Home in Missing Mom Invest... Aug '17 AIPAC mohels 1

Downingtown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Downingtown Mortgages