Planned Easton BrewPub Moving from Pomeroy's Department Store: ...

Full story: The Morning Call

A brewpub that had been planned for the long-vacant former Pomeroy's department store in Easton is now headed across the street, officials announced Tuesday.
Comments
1 - 20 of 46 Comments Last updated Mar 28, 2009
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
I See You Bye Bye

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

Great news! I'm looking forward to eating there.
RonMania

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

3.5 million for a pub?? How much is taxpayer's money? Hopefully none!
KJE

Reading, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

Hopefully people will feel safe going there. That is one thing Bethlehem Brewworks has. People's opinion on this?

Who has the better beer?
Im ok are you

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

Two things: Now we will have all those teens from Lafayette with their fake IDs running around day and night

Great view out the front window of the blighted Pomeroys building.
Reality Rover

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

Easton is a great place to get shot after dark. Anyone crazy enough to go downtown at night deserves their chalk outline.
Bill

New Hope, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

Victory definitely has the better beer over brew works
Amsterdan

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

Yeah!

Since: Sep 07

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

KJE wrote:
Hopefully people will feel safe going there. That is one thing Bethlehem Brewworks has. People's opinion on this?
Who has the better beer?
Victory wins this, hands down. Bethl Breworks has Ok beer, but Victory has some great ones!

As for feeling safe, there's nothing unsafe about the 300 block of Northampton St. There's enough college kids and others walking about until the bars close. Personally, I wouldn't go strolling down the alleys, or hang out between 4th & 6th.. and certainly not after 2:30am, but why would you do either at that time of night, unless you were looking to have a conversation with a stumble bum or pick up a hooker?

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

member of the jury wrote:
EASTON IS A DUMP !
Ever been to Tijuana? That place is a DUMP! Easton may be gritty, but it still has a way to go before it's a genuine dump.
RonFool

Easton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

RonMania wrote:
3.5 million for a pub?? How much is taxpayer's money? Hopefully none!
Ron - you really are a fool.

Someone is investing in the Lehigh Valley and this is a great thing. No mention of tax dollars - which I wonder if you pay to begin with. The area around Center Square in Easton is quite good - another business on the west side of the circle will only help to better area.

I hope you enjoyed someone responding to our foolishness. Now fo whack-off over the post you loser.
Westside Homie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

KJE wrote:
Who has the better beer?
Brew Works has better beer...hands down. Some of the best I've ever had. Either way Victory is great as well and the more great beer the better.
Beer Nerds Rejoice!
Dont listen to me

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

One cant compare the capacity of Victory to Bethlehem Brew Works...

What ever happened to Weyerbachers pub? Is it still there...?
Dont listen to me

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

And for the record, each brewery has its own positives and negatives...

For someone to simply chose one over the other shows little knowledge in the subject.
xxxxxx

Andover, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

No, the Brew Works has really mediocre beer. I think it's intentional, to appeal to the widest variet of their target clientele. Victory makes a bunch of beers I don't care for, but their greats are outstanding. The goods at the Brew Works are simply "good".
RtrvrMom

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

xxxxxx wrote:
No, the Brew Works has really mediocre beer. I think it's intentional, to appeal to the widest variet of their target clientele. Victory makes a bunch of beers I don't care for, but their greats are outstanding. The goods at the Brew Works are simply "good".
You hit that nail on the head about the Brew Works. I do prefer Victory but why does everything have to be a comparison?
I can sort of see doing that if they're direct competition but they're not nor will they be in this location.

I walk down town at night- I've got big dogs but still - between 2nd and 4th on Northampton- where this will be located- is not that risky. More businesses like this will make it even less so.
Dont listen to me

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

xxxxxx wrote:
Victory makes a bunch of beers I don't care for, but their greats are outstanding. The goods at the Brew Works are simply "good".
There is a huge difference in both of their capacities to brew...

Victory is huge in comparison to BBW...As a business, yes they have to brew to their clientele...but with their limited capacity, they can only brew so much and limited styles...

Victory has the capacity to brew multiple styles simultaneously....

But each use quality ingredients and both incorporate some non-traditional methods to brew a consistent product.

Its hard for me to compare a small brew pub with a 500 gallon cap. to a semi-large brewer with a 10,000 capacity and the funding to back it up.
RtrvrMom

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

Dont listen to me wrote:
One cant compare the capacity of Victory to Bethlehem Brew Works...
What ever happened to Weyerbachers pub? Is it still there...?
No pub but you can go over to the brewery on the weekends and take a tour, try some samples.
I liked Dan's original beers but they've focused on a lot of 'session' type beers- big drinkers- not something you would see on tap in most places and who doesn't love their beer fresh from the tap?
Porter's house beer is made by WB Beer.(opening here for the fear-mongers to scare their potential customers now , too)
Dont listen to me

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

For a real comparison...The BBW is a 7 out of 10 for brew pubs within a 100 mile radius...

Victory is a 8 out of 10 for same-sized microbreweries within a 1000 miles.

Cant compare a brewpub and a full-fledged brewery.

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

Dont listen to me wrote:
And for the record, each brewery has its own positives and negatives...
For someone to simply chose one over the other shows little knowledge in the subject.
They do both have positives & negatives, but as one who has sampled a multitude of Brew Works beers--and continues to do so about every other month--the only one that actually stood out as 'great' was their framboise lambic. The Scottish Ale very tasty. All their others, as another poster put it, are just "good". I don't think any are nasty (unlike the Victory Hop Devil).. Haha. I know a lot of people rave over this one, but, sorry, I am not a fan of overhopped beer.
Anyway, a brew pub in Easton is an awesome thing. Yay!
I hope the old Mt. Vernon Ale House opens up again. They were doing some work on it, but like everything else, it stagnated :-(
yout

Reading, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

RtrvrMom wrote:
<quoted text>
No pub but you can go over to the brewery on the weekends and take a tour, try some samples.
I liked Dan's original beers but they've focused on a lot of 'session' type beers- big drinkers- not something you would see on tap in most places and who doesn't love their beer fresh from the tap?
Porter's house beer is made by WB Beer.(opening here for the fear-mongers to scare their potential customers now , too)
A "session" beer is considered a beer that a person can have a few of- hence a drinking session. The beers like Old Heathon or Quad are not session beers. Weyerbacher has a good niche and they should roll with it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Downingtown Discussions

Search the Downingtown Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 4 hr the boy who cried wolf 3,820
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) Sat Peak 51,194
Cougar Sighting/Caught in Downingtown, PA (Aug '08) Jul 18 Paul Yardley PA 40
Angela Fusselman Should Be Ashamed Of Herself! ... Jul 6 veronica 2
Review: Kiki's Salon Chateau Jun '14 Also checkout Kikis Bridd 1
glen mills schools (Sep '11) Jun '14 posie 72
dnt get it twisted tho Jun '14 posie 3
•••

Flood Warning for Chester County was issued at July 28 at 2:58AM EDT

•••
•••

Downingtown News Video

•••