Bob's Big Boy to replace Johnie's

Bob's Big Boy to replace Johnie's

There are 18 comments on the Long Beach Press-Telegram story from Apr 8, 2008, titled Bob's Big Boy to replace Johnie's. In it, Long Beach Press-Telegram reports that:

Fifteen months after an illegal demolition, a year-long building moratorium and well- attended classic-car cruises in its honor, Johnie's Broiler is being resurrected as a Bob's Big Boy.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Long Beach Press-Telegram.

Kevin Preciado

AOL

#1 Apr 9, 2008
As a Coalition member along with Analisa Ridenour,Bobby,John Eng,Patricia Thayer,Ron Peters, Geogre Redfox,Glen Hungerford.Lee & Helen Burns,Carol, Kathy Perez,Lisa Preciado,Jim & Lori Tucci, all of the original Friends of Johnie's and any others who donated, helped & never gave up hope on this.
Adriene Biondo & I (Kevin Preciado) thank you all for sticking in there wijth us. Above all Thank You Jim Louder and Family for seeing that this is doable deal and that many generations will be able to experience what many others have.
The city of Downey as well deserves a Big Atta Boys-Gals! You turned the gals that I saw on the cbs/kcal breaking news from Girls Gone Sad to Girls Gone Glad!. I whole heartedly thank you for keeping your promise and sicking in there with us! You have just made Googie/Americana History!
Tatiana Rodriguez

Bellflower, CA

#2 Oct 14, 2008
Being a resident of Downey for seven years now, I'd remember driving down Firestone Blvd. with my parents and seeing the "Big Fat Boy" holding his burger and remembering how I'd wish it were still open to experience Johnie's.
Now, I am a senior at Cal State Fullerton majoring in Journalism and am writing a story for my magazine writing class and want to base my "social issue" piece on Johnie's.
If there were any way possible to have a meeting with the Friends of Johnie's to talk about their memories and share with me the truth of why it was demolished, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Kevin Preciado

United States

#5 Nov 6, 2008
Each Big Boy restaurant is a franchise and is indepentdently owned and operated.
Jim Louder is more than a capable restauranteer having owned several Marie Callenders in the So Bay area as well as Bob's Torrance and currently getting ready to open his 3rd Bob's Big Boy in West Covina as Downey will actually be his 2nd in acquisition.

The Downey Broiler will be much different than the others in the Bob's Big Boy Chain. Instead of bashing it, just come and show some support-perhaps you may be suprised when it opens next spring.
Dina

Castaic, CA

#6 Nov 8, 2008
I agree with you on that. Let's not be negative or racist!!
Kevin Preciado wrote:
Each Big Boy restaurant is a franchise and is indepentdently owned and operated.
Jim Louder is more than a capable restauranteer having owned several Marie Callenders in the So Bay area as well as Bob's Torrance and currently getting ready to open his 3rd Bob's Big Boy in West Covina as Downey will actually be his 2nd in acquisition.
The Downey Broiler will be much different than the others in the Bob's Big Boy Chain. Instead of bashing it, just come and show some support-perhaps you may be suprised when it opens next spring.
911insidejob

AOL

#7 Nov 8, 2008
did they ever hang the guy who did the illegal demolition?? god i hope they did
Tina

Warren, MI

#8 Dec 20, 2008
i think they should be ashamed for letting a piece of history go down this way! those pieces of ****! makes me furious that we cannot have a part of history that i can one day share with my kids!
Downey Viking class of 72

Ewa Beach, HI

#9 Dec 20, 2008
Yes it has alot of history and memories but so do black and white tvs. Come on I wonder how many of you ACTUALLY ate at the restaurant. For the past 30 years it was so gross. Back in the 60's maybe 70's it was good food.
Javier Moreno

Los Angeles, CA

#10 Dec 22, 2008
Besides that what if you were the property owner and had no way out? The city wasn't giving him an out like we'll buy your property for market value and resell it.
They were being held hostage while they were taking a bath. I guess everything turned out okay though.
K L M

Bellflower, CA

#11 Feb 14, 2009
About a million years ago, Carrow's was a Big Boy and it was good for years. I can't wait to have a Bob's back in town. Chili & spaghetti, yay! Johnie's was great in the 70s, by the way, when I was little, but it got weird later on. Anyway, I know a lot of people who can hardly wait for a Bob's.:)
Danny White

Mount Juliet, TN

#12 Feb 15, 2009
Hey Everyone;

Great news about the Broiler! I've been following the demolition news, as well as the progress to rebuild the restaurant from afar for quite a long time now. I'm glad to hear that such a great American treasure is going to survive, thanks to the hard work turned in by the people of Downey and Bob's Big Boy.
I'm writing in reference to a novel I have written called, "The Last Rock and Roll Show." The story features Harvey's Broiler in one of it's final, and pivotal chapters.

The book was released during The 50th Winter Dance Party Celebration (Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, & The Big Bopper Memorial) at The Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa on February 2, 2009. The event was sponsored by The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, and the response to the book has been incredible. So,.....
As part of an extended promotional tour for the book, I'm looking into the possibility of holding a charity event/car cruise connected to the book at the new Big Boy this September.

Does anyone know The Broiler's current stage of completion? Any news or contact information would be appreciated.
The website for the book is located at: www.thelastrockandrollshow.com .
I invite any of you out there interested in 1950's era Rock and Roll, Route 66, and drag racing to check it out. Thanks!!!

Danny White-Author
Nashville, TN.
[email protected] om
Adriene Biondo

Canyon Country, CA

#13 May 16, 2009
Hi Everyone,

This project is an important one, culturally and architecturally. I feel privileged to be a part of it. The original 1958 Harvey's Broiler in Downey represents many levels of Southern California's history and car culture, and combining that history with the legacy of Bob's Big Boy is going to result in an amazing roadside destination, a place that all of us can enjoy.

I'm extremely grateful to Jim Louder and his family, the Big Boy Corporation, City of Downey, Coalition to Rebuild the Broiler, the LA Conservancy, Roadside Peek, and our loyal allies from the Jalopy Journal/HAMB for their commitment towards making this dream a reality.

Construction is moving along fast now -- Jim's looking at opening the new BOB'S BIG BOY BROILER in September. On September 19th we'll be hosting author Danny White of The Last Rock and Roll Show for a classic 50s celebration (thanks Danny!). Everyone's invited so stand by--details to come.

Adriene Biondo
hey there

Norfolk, VA

#14 May 16, 2009
Adriene Biondo wrote:
Hi Everyone,
This project is an important one, culturally and architecturally. I feel privileged to be a part of it. The original 1958 Harvey's Broiler in Downey represents many levels of Southern California's history and car culture, and combining that history with the legacy of Bob's Big Boy is going to result in an amazing roadside destination, a place that all of us can enjoy.
I'm extremely grateful to Jim Louder and his family, the Big Boy Corporation, City of Downey, Coalition to Rebuild the Broiler, the LA Conservancy, Roadside Peek, and our loyal allies from the Jalopy Journal/HAMB for their commitment towards making this dream a reality.
Construction is moving along fast now -- Jim's looking at opening the new BOB'S BIG BOY BROILER in September. On September 19th we'll be hosting author Danny White of The Last Rock and Roll Show for a classic 50s celebration (thanks Danny!). Everyone's invited so stand by--details to come.
Adriene Biondo
Are they going to have car hops? Downey gang members will LOVE that! They can hold you up without leaving their vehicles!
AlB

Baldwin Park, CA

#15 Oct 13, 2009
Anybody know what day the place will open? Looking forward to taking the kids and the old ride out there.
go dodgers

Bellflower, CA

#16 Oct 17, 2009
opens monday the 19 of october
hmm

United States

#17 Oct 17, 2009
go dodgers wrote:
opens monday the 19 of october
Good day for an ICE raid.
Marcoman

Whittier, CA

#18 Oct 20, 2009
AlB wrote:
Anybody know what day the place will open? Looking forward to taking the kids and the old ride out there.
Hey, it opened today, I'll be checking it out tomorrow!
~M~
Danny

United States

#19 Oct 22, 2009
ok I took the family out to Bob's big boy in Downey last nite and all i have to say is that we won't be back.
The sevice was slow waited 30 mins for our meal and my order was wrong. what was really the kicker wa when my drink came to the table the glass was broken. The parking sucked couldn't even leave because of the car clubs that were there. I ask a manager if she could have some one go on a speaker and have them move thier truck and she ask me if I knew the owner, come on now I was waiting 30mins for my food. The floor was a mess felt slippery from the fries falling off the plates. Honestly for the price we paid it was just not worth it Denny's and Norm beat Bob Big Big all the way.
on a scale of 1-10 i give it a 2
Bob Atkinson

Tucson, AZ

#22 Sep 28, 2010

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Downey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Financial Plus Investment (Jul '08) 1 hr Robert 3,018
News Santa Fe Springs Stench Returns (Oct '13) 5 hr Bukowski 3
Bern Kuck Bern Kuck Bern Kuck Bern Kuck 5 hr Vienna Vinny 2
Montebello Treasurer 5 hr Somebody Has To S... 3
News Tim Grobaty: The Palace the Lantern (Feb '08) 9 hr Ralanege 43
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 9 hr Trojan 32,308
What has happened to Lynwood? (Dec '05) 9 hr JustStop 1,095

Downey Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Downey Mortgages