BellwoodT

Montgomery, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2013

I used to work at Angelo's grocery on Mannheim rd. There was a place that was like Best Buy at the time across the street and a restaurant. I worked at that rest. and Rex rest. also. I do not remember the name of it.
jimmyguitar

Germantown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

BellwoodT wrote:
Monti's music was on St. Charles rd near Wolf rd. remember Rigio's? We used to buy our smoke bombs and a beef...lol.
You are right. When Emil and Al consolidated the Butterfield Rd & Maywood stores they opened the one on St. Charles Rd. Around 69 or 70 maybe?
Scrubber59

Melrose Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

BellwoodT wrote:
I used to work at Angelo's grocery on Mannheim rd. There was a place that was like Best Buy at the time across the street and a restaurant. I worked at that rest. and Rex rest. also. I do not remember the name of it.
Hi, Angelo's Grocery was once a National Food Store.The Electronics Store was called Precision Video(before that it was Strickland's Supermarket in the same building) & the Restauraunt across the street was the Bellwood Family Restaurant on the NE corner of Twining & Mannheim Roads in Bellwood during the late 1970's early 1980's.The Precision Video Store was torn down & replaced with an Aldi Grocery Store later on.I had a close friend named Karen Dunn who at the Bellwood Family Restaurant & worked there for quite some time.Now that area is also shot.
Scrubber59

Melrose Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

jimmyguitar wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right. When Emil and Al consolidated the Butterfield Rd & Maywood stores they opened the one on St. Charles Rd. Around 69 or 70 maybe?
Yes you are correct,I lived in Berkeley at that time & seen the new Monti's Music Center built on the south side of St.Charles Rd. between Lee Blvd.& Morris Ave. next to the late great Riggio's Pizza that closed around 1980.It was built when I was a kid of 9 or 10 in 1969-70. Now it is Westerling China & sells other useless stuff for what it is worth.
Tim

Oswego, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Judged:

BellwoodT wrote:
Monti's music was on St. Charles rd near Wolf rd. remember Rigio's? We used to buy our smoke bombs and a beef...lol.
. Yes I remember Rex,s and the chocolate Sundae or milk shake they served was huge.. The dime store I always went to in the early to mid seventies. Duncan yo yo,s and hotwheels were my favorite. candy was also available. That five and dime was my favorite stop.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

When they closed Montis or Montes on Butterfield did it become C Foster Toys? Precision Video: now that's something I haven't thought about years. That place made Mr. Radomski a millionaire in like three years. Betamax's then Walkman's then much cheaper VHS. My friend lived right across the street from them. That family turned into the rich family overnight kind of like the Hillside version of The Beverly Hillbillies without Hillbillies. They were a normal family and in like two years it became insane over there. A huge score for Mr. Radomski. The kids just ate it up and had way too much money. The parents moved out and the kids threw crazy parties and had crazy cars. I remember flying over the Mannheim Bridge at 150mph with one of them. We were immediately pulled over by Stone Park. Do you know you were going 150mph? Yeah, so what? I'm ready to poop myself. Two minutes later, you can go and we did. Smoke show 180 and back south up the bridge we go with the car punched the whole time. Insane Times!
Someone

Villa Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

[QUOTE who= When you go to the CarMax you have to follow a strict course if you take a car for a test drive. Harrison West to Roosevelt West to York and do a double clover so you are on Roosevelt East. Turn North on Wolf and back to CarMax. It's because cars get stolen on test drives. They pull a gun and throw the salesman out of the car. It's not something that makes the news but it has happened a few times.[/QUOTE]

This has NEVER happened, stop making stuff up...go to the police department and do a freedom of information request.
Scrubber59

Melrose Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Someone wrote:
<quoted text>
This has NEVER happened, stop making stuff up...go to the police department and do a freedom of information request.
Do you even live in this area at all? It is going to Hell because of stupid decisions by Government people who have been elected to sell us out for their own benefit.Our parents worked ever so hard to bring us up in a better environment than live in the city of Chicago after WWII with all of the White Hillbilly & Black Gang Problems.These Government idiots have decided that they would rather sell us out than try to preserve our way of life around here than get sued by the Feds for the so called descrimination!Wake up And Smell the Coffee Nucklehead!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

First of all "Someone", this DID happen. I went to CarMax and was going to buy a "special" car. It was a nice car. The salesman copied my license and gave me the very specific course to take. We went back to CarMax. I wasn't sure about the car and wanted to take it up on the 290. He said NO, you must follow this course. I was like I would like to take it on the highway. He was the one and I quote "WE have to follow a specific course because of the rules, people have pulled guns and stolen cars." I was like really? It sounded like BS to me also but since I was there and you weren't then don't tell me what he said. If you have a problem with what I said go to CarMax and take it up with them. I don't have to ask the Hillside Police for a FOIA request. I can just ask one of the cops I grew up with. I know a few Hillside, Berkeley and Bellwood cops. I never thought about it. I figured the guy was telling the truth. I mean it did cost them a sale, he knew it and he really didn't seem to care. After all they get paid the same whether they sell a Cobalt or Corvette,$150. They do make money off of financing and warranties.

The following is from the CarMax website:

Take your time. Professional test drivers may drive for 10 miles or more to assess a single criterion. If you're serious about the car, don't allow the seller to pressure you into a short test.(Be kind he's probably had his share of joyriders. If this car is a serious candidate, offer him $20 for another 20 minutes.)

Look it up.

Maybe that's what the guy was up to. I only know what he said. I ended buying my car at Bill Kay.
I have no idea why he would single me out. I wasn't joyriding. Maybe he had a appointment but I really don't care if you believe me or not. It did happen and I'm NOT making stuff up. You come out of the blue never having posted before and attack a three week old post and then you have the nerve to call me a liar.
I think you work for CarMax(This has never happened instead of that has never happened sure sounds like you work there)and just want to keep your image clean. Take it up with your salesmen. Your just mad because I told the truth. I was rushed on a test drive and didn't like it. You lost a sale. I'm not shelling out 30k for a car that I can't take for a proper test drive and I'm sure the hell not going to offer the salesman $20 to do so. Maybe the salesman just made it up because they wanted to run a credit check and I was I'll pay cash so no money for him there.$150 is what he would have made on a $30,000 sale. Calling me a liar when you have no facts to back you up makes you a troll. I was there and that's all the facts I need. Who are you to call me a liar? What if I do find out that the guy was indeed telling the truth? There is no way to post on this board a copy of a police report. I suppose I could just make one up but since I told the truth and back it up with the only facts I can find, "Bribe the salesman if you want a longer test drive" taken from the CARMAX website, the burden shifts to you. So Mr. CarMax what proof do you have? None, so get lost. That's as polite as I am going to be. Don't tell me about my experiences. Do you know how many private messages I got about this? By the way that CarMax sucks. The one in Naperville is much better and you can drive wherever you want. Being that Bill Kay is 3 miles away from my house I went there. I wasn't going to have the car sent from Hillside to Naperville.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

For those who can't find it.
http://www.carmax.com/enus/top-10-lists/top-1...
Am I making that up No One?
Scrubber59

Melrose Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

It is really a shame that the former Hillside Shopping Center has been turned into a waste land of rotten thieves wanting to turn a once great place into GHETTO RUINS.Shame on you people,someday you will pay for your mistakes when your day of judgement comes.Nothing will ever replace the good times that we had at The Hillside Shopping Center!
Concetta

Lemont, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Ok so these "fun" posts and remembering the good old days are getting too weird and creepy.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Concetta the person called me a liar. I told the truth. I had to defend myself. My original question remains unanswered. DOES ANYBODY REMEMBER 5 COINS? I didn't come here to fight with people. I came here to share my experiences growing up in Hillside. Later that kind of shifted to what my generation went through and how we grew up here. I just wanted the people who moved away awhile ago and haven't and will not come back to know what has happened to our area. The one thing I didn't come here for is to be called a liar.
BellwoodT

Oswego, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Scrubber59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi, Angelo's Grocery was once a National Food Store.The Electronics Store was called Precision Video(before that it was Strickland's Supermarket in the same building) & the Restauraunt across the street was the Bellwood Family Restaurant on the NE corner of Twining & Mannheim Roads in Bellwood during the late 1970's early 1980's.The Precision Video Store was torn down & replaced with an Aldi Grocery Store later on.I had a close friend named Karen Dunn who at the Bellwood Family Restaurant & worked there for quite some time.Now that area is also shot.
Hi, yes that was it! Precision Video. That was the place for high tech stuff at the time! Oh yeah, Bellwood family rest. but I was referring to the one next to Precison that was across the street from Angelo's...."Golden Nugget"? Golden something? not certain. Thanks again for the input everyone. I used to work at the Martin gas station next to Jack in the box across the street from Co ck Robin. Never forgot the big taco from Jack in the Box.....lol.
BellwoodT

Oswego, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Tim wrote:
<quoted text>. Yes I remember Rex,s and the chocolate Sundae or milk shake they served was huge.. The dime store I always went to in the early to mid seventies. Duncan yo yo,s and hotwheels were my favorite. candy was also available. That five and dime was my favorite stop.
That dime store was the best Tim. I bought my first album from there, those monster "Aurora" brand models of Frankenstein, Wolf Man, Phantom of the Opera...etc.......wish I never blew them up with firecrackers! Oh yeah and don't forget the Odd Rod monster card stickers. I used to go to the corner drug store on the SW corner of St. Charles and Mannheim for the Mad magazines. Slide down the side of Mannheim bridge in winter, search for conetop beer cans in the railroad yards. Fun times.
BellwoodT

Oswego, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Always went bowling at that 12 lane, 16 lane place?on St. Charles rd. next to the creek.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Super Tacos from Jack in the Box! They closed everything East of the Mississippi and it became Mr. Submarine. They all did. Anyway the first time I went to Vegas the cabbie at McCarran asked me which hotel? I said take me to the closest Jack in the Box. He looked at me like I was nuts. It is across from UNLV. He pulled up to the drive through with my window and I ordered 5 Super Tacos. Then off to The Mirage. I was like can you check me in faster please? Off to my room, grabbing a Coke from the machine in the hallway. Like a crackhead I sat in my room and ate my Super Tacos. That's what you go to Vegas for, Jack in the Box. I'm pretty sure the bowling alley was Senos. The Purple Martin is now a Speedway.
Dan

Aurora, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

BellwoodT wrote:
<quoted text>
That dime store was the best Tim. I bought my first album from there, those monster "Aurora" brand models of Frankenstein, Wolf Man, Phantom of the Opera...etc.......wish I never blew them up with firecrackers! Oh yeah and don't forget the Odd Rod monster card stickers. I used to go to the corner drug store on the SW corner of St. Charles and Mannheim for the Mad magazines. Slide down the side of Mannheim bridge in winter, search for conetop beer cans in the railroad yards. Fun times.
Oh yeah, we used to slide down the hill on cardboard boxes at the west side of goldblatts near the tracks off of wolf road. We too blew up models(usually cars) with firecrackers.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

BellwoodT wrote:
Always went bowling at that 12 lane, 16 lane place?on St. Charles rd. next to the creek.
Seno's had 30 lanes
Valerie DiDominick Soncek

Lisle, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

High on a Hillside.....went to Vegas a few weeks ago and the first thing we did after checking into our hotel was go to Jack in the Box.....2 tacos for 99 cents....went there once again before we left.. just like I remembered!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Downers Grove Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr Call Sperm 2014 49,274
hillside hurricanes football 2 hr Football mom 41
Should there be a Tax Write Off For New Mailbox... 6 hr mailbox remedies 0
Red-light cameras: Carol Stream police officer ... (Jul '09) 9 hr Redlex busted 179
Cry baby Lenny Thu Randy 8
DuPage Habitat for Humanity Wed DuPageHabitat 1
IL Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in I... (Oct '10) Wed Weneedchange 147

Search the Downers Grove Forum:
•••

Flood Warning for Dupage County was issued at August 22 at 8:15AM CDT

•••
•••
Downers Grove Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Downers Grove Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000