|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2010

Judged:

DG resident wrote:
What I have a problem with is that I shouldn't feel scared while waiting in or out of the train station. On more than one occasion I have been subject to foul, loud and vulgar language. Don't forget the large beer can they hide in a glove. Isn't alcohol prohibited there? I pay taxes and work two jobs. I shouldn't have to be harassed as I am trying to get to work or run errands. I think the police need to be more active in that area.
I totally agree!!! The police don't do anything but tell them to move on, so they stand up and move 10 feet down the way...
I pay taxes (boy do we pay taxes) I just want to be able to enjoy Downers Grove...
River rafter

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2010

Judged:

You can also teach them how to raft the river, and also let them know that the east and west branches of the DuPage River empty into the DesPlaines/Illinois river, which empties into the Mississippi river, which in turn flows straight to the Gulf of Mexico. From my point of view, the biggest enemy of all for homeless people is winter's deep freeze. Homeless people can be taught how to tie logs together with vines to make a raft, and even top it with any type of flat surface that can be made from discarded plywood, they can be taught how to fish, and they can be taught how to use a stick to keep the raft towards the center of the river where the currents are strongest. They also should be taught how to portage around any dams encountered.
u812ass

Joliet, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2010

Judged:

DG Should let them stay in the vacant condos in town.
Smedskjaer

Roskilde, Denmark

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2010

Judged:

How about opening a homeless shelter that serves as a trades learning center? Get them off the street. Give them skills to find a job. Contribute to the local economy? You know, something helpful and a Christian value.
zera

Warrenville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2010

Judged:

Smedskjaer wrote:
How about opening a homeless shelter that serves as a trades learning center? Get them off the street. Give them skills to find a job. Contribute to the local economy? You know, something helpful and a Christian value.
That sounds like a good idea. Unfortunately, an education will not gurantee them a job. The're college graduates out of work right now. Some of those college graduate are in the homeless shelters with there families right now.
papaguanos

Bellwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2010

Maybe Heartless can buy them an air tickets out of town. Heartless is the type that will whine and complain to the village about everything but would never be part of the solution. Evil people like that lead a sheltered life and think everyone else has the same options and breaks they do. I've seen people like that who think they have it so bad and complain instead of thanking their lucky stars for what they have. I don't believe the $20 dollar story for one minute. Where did you want the homeless lady to apply to work for with no address and probably no phone when there are few if any jobs out there. I hate ignorant mean selfish people.
Smedskjaer

Roskilde, Denmark

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2010

Judged:

zera wrote:
<quoted text>
That sounds like a good idea. Unfortunately, an education will not gurantee them a job. The're college graduates out of work right now. Some of those college graduate are in the homeless shelters with there families right now.
This is a bit counterintuitive, but it is what I have seen in the Scandinavian labor market.

High unemployment leads to growth.
The local 'job center' manages requalification of unemployed people. These are normally one to six week courses in skills such as welding, forklift certification, etc. Increasing the number of people with qualifications in any of these skills increases supply and decreases the average wage, attracting companies to the area.

People with college degrees in management who are left unemployed are so because there is no demand for degree holders in management. Instead, they should broaden their qualifications to include blue collar jobs in a wide number of fields.

As for the homeless in DG, there is a chance for DG to grow and prosper. Teach them to fill jobs in industry and keep them in DG. You will see new companies coming to DG just to access the cheaper labor.
faduan

Bellwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2010

Little heart wrote:
Last night while driving home from Walgreens (Odgen and Main) we encountered 6 homeless people walking across the street...
what the heck is going on in Downers Grove, isn't there a way to make these people leave and go elsewhere?
They are turning our community into a homeless garbage pit...can't the pollice do anything? They are always by the parks...this scares me and my children...Hello..how do we get them to leave?
What a terrible small minded heartless person. I'm glad most people are better than that.
Jay

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2010

Judged:

Down in DG: I couldn't agree more. During my sociology courses at Northwestern, and even before that, during orientation, we learned that the average Chicago homeless person takes in between $45-$60k a YEAR, in cash! It's not uncommon for them to drive their relatively nice cars to certain areas, parking, walking a couple miles and camping out pretending to be homeless. As a society we take so much care of these "downtrodden" people that most of the time they have free or discounted housing on top of vehicle ownership.
pimpuanos

Bellwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2010

Jay wrote:
Down in DG: I couldn't agree more. During my sociology courses at Northwestern, and even before that, during orientation, we learned that the average Chicago homeless person takes in between $45-$60k a YEAR, in cash! It's not uncommon for them to drive their relatively nice cars to certain areas, parking, walking a couple miles and camping out pretending to be homeless. As a society we take so much care of these "downtrodden" people that most of the time they have free or discounted housing on top of vehicle ownership.
You're just plain stupid. Genius if they made all that money they wouldn't be homeless and you and heartless b*tch wouldn't have anything to complain about. Go back to school loser and stop making up excuses for being a cheap*ss.
Pedro

Bellwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2010

Sometimes I hope little suburban prissy Barbies like 'Little Heart' end up homeless. People like her deserve it. What a worthless piece of sh*t. I wish only bad karma for people like her.
charlie

Bolingbrook, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2011

Judged:

hey little heart...i have been homeless for a week now and i'm freezing. i'll take ur offer up on a construction job. if you want to see a homeless person trying to better themseves then email me.
djchazzzzychuck@aol.com
dee

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2011

Judged:

Little heart wrote:
Last night while driving home from Walgreens (Odgen and Main) we encountered 6 homeless people walking across the street...
what the heck is going on in Downers Grove, isn't there a way to make these people leave and go elsewhere?
They are turning our community into a homeless garbage pit...can't the pollice do anything? They are always by the parks...this scares me and my children...Hello..how do we get them to leave?
wait til your in their position u witch..
He who knows

Cicero, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2011

River rafter wrote:
You can also teach them how to raft the river, and also let them know that the east and west branches of the DuPage River empty into the DesPlaines/Illinois river, which empties into the Mississippi river, which in turn flows straight to the Gulf of Mexico. From my point of view, the biggest enemy of all for homeless people is winter's deep freeze. Homeless people can be taught how to tie logs together with vines to make a raft, and even top it with any type of flat surface that can be made from discarded plywood, they can be taught how to fish, and they can be taught how to use a stick to keep the raft towards the center of the river where the currents are strongest. They also should be taught how to portage around any dams encountered.
New Orleans, Louisiana has quite a few nice homeless shelters that are quite capable of getting homeless people back on their feet. And especially as New Orleans does not get brutally cold in the winter; in fact, New Orleans has gotten as warm as 60s and even a few 70s in January before. A list of New Orleans homeless shelters can be found at http://www.homelessshelterdirectory.org/cgi-b...

And believe it or not, the Mississippi River goes right through the center of New Orleans.
love of dg

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2011

Judged:

Ok I grew up on 67th n main I moved out when they built all the new houses they tore down my house n built a 500k house they f trying to turn a great neighborhood into a snobby one but sorry to say this look around u u have a bad town on each side of u westmont snd woodridge and the kids from them towns go to ur highschool pretty soon they will have metal detectors at south you think u live in such a great neigborhood cuz of the housing is so nice but downers won't be the same as wen we had our little old houses and NICE people everyone knew everyone and grew up together
Rip Tyler delves n James Anderson love you both
little heart

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2011

Judged:

Wow, didn't expect the reation that I did..thanks it was for a college term paper.
It is true what we say that night 1 year ago, and I was sadenned by the fact they didn't want my help, they wanted to be left alone.
I am not a witch, my children and I work at the Pads shelter and work sorting food for those less fortunate then us. I do not wish thier lifestyle on anyone..
and I am sorry that you wished it upon me. I am trying to better myself for my children and our future by returning to school.

“Peter Smedskjaer ROCKS!”

Since: Jul 09

Woodridge

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2012

Poorly executed study of reactions. I guess it is either your first or second year at college.

Yes. Most homeless would rather be left alone. They aren't flocking for your good graces the moment you offer them because you are a stranger to them. Relationships are more important than money, even when poor.

“Peter Smedskjaer ROCKS!”

Since: Jul 09

Woodridge

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2012

love of dg wrote:
Ok I grew up on 67th n main I moved out when they built all the new houses they tore down my house n built a 500k house they f trying to turn a great neighborhood into a snobby one but sorry to say this look around u u have a bad town on each side of u westmont snd woodridge and the kids from them towns go to ur highschool pretty soon they will have metal detectors at south you think u live in such a great neigborhood cuz of the housing is so nice but downers won't be the same as wen we had our little old houses and NICE people everyone knew everyone and grew up together
Rip Tyler delves n James Anderson love you both
HEY! I grew up in Woodridge!
tak

Elgin, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2012

Little heart wrote:
Okay..first the way I knew they were homeless is because they were carring everything they owned on thier back and in bags. I have helped plenty of homeless, I donate money, food and clothing to our PADS shelter.
I even offered one a job with our construction company, and his reply was "Naw, that isn't for me"
And all the job was, was cleaning the work areas,$20 per hour cash...
So please don't play the bleeding heart thing...I have tried to help..and they don't want it. They want the free hand outs, not to work!
you own a few companys and you are paying CASH! Maybe the irs should look into your tax returns. The rick get ricker ane the poor get poorer. you sound like a downers grove snoody bitch, move, we don't want people like YOU here in our town

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Downers Grove Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 3 hr mahz 49,277
Should there be a Tax Write Off For New Mailbox... 9 hr Jones 1
hillside hurricanes football 9 hr The Nixon Family 42
Red-light cameras: Carol Stream police officer ... (Jul '09) 22 hr Redlex busted 179
Cry baby Lenny Thu Randy 8
DuPage Habitat for Humanity Aug 20 Anonymous 1
IL Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in I... (Oct '10) Aug 20 Weneedchange 147

Search the Downers Grove Forum:
•••

Flood Warning for Dupage County was issued at August 22 at 8:29PM CDT

•••
•••
•••

Downers Grove Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Downers Grove People Search