First Prev
of 3
Next Last
River rafter

Chicago, IL

#43 Apr 11, 2010
You can also teach them how to raft the river, and also let them know that the east and west branches of the DuPage River empty into the DesPlaines/Illinois river, which empties into the Mississippi river, which in turn flows straight to the Gulf of Mexico. From my point of view, the biggest enemy of all for homeless people is winter's deep freeze. Homeless people can be taught how to tie logs together with vines to make a raft, and even top it with any type of flat surface that can be made from discarded plywood, they can be taught how to fish, and they can be taught how to use a stick to keep the raft towards the center of the river where the currents are strongest. They also should be taught how to portage around any dams encountered.
u812ass

Joliet, IL

#44 Apr 13, 2010
DG Should let them stay in the vacant condos in town.
Smedskjaer

Roskilde, Denmark

#45 Jun 7, 2010
How about opening a homeless shelter that serves as a trades learning center? Get them off the street. Give them skills to find a job. Contribute to the local economy? You know, something helpful and a Christian value.
zera

Warrenville, IL

#46 Jun 29, 2010
Smedskjaer wrote:
How about opening a homeless shelter that serves as a trades learning center? Get them off the street. Give them skills to find a job. Contribute to the local economy? You know, something helpful and a Christian value.
That sounds like a good idea. Unfortunately, an education will not gurantee them a job. The're college graduates out of work right now. Some of those college graduate are in the homeless shelters with there families right now.
papaguanos

Bellwood, IL

#47 Aug 13, 2010
Maybe Heartless can buy them an air tickets out of town. Heartless is the type that will whine and complain to the village about everything but would never be part of the solution. Evil people like that lead a sheltered life and think everyone else has the same options and breaks they do. I've seen people like that who think they have it so bad and complain instead of thanking their lucky stars for what they have. I don't believe the $20 dollar story for one minute. Where did you want the homeless lady to apply to work for with no address and probably no phone when there are few if any jobs out there. I hate ignorant mean selfish people.
Smedskjaer

Roskilde, Denmark

#48 Aug 14, 2010
zera wrote:
<quoted text>
That sounds like a good idea. Unfortunately, an education will not gurantee them a job. The're college graduates out of work right now. Some of those college graduate are in the homeless shelters with there families right now.
This is a bit counterintuitive, but it is what I have seen in the Scandinavian labor market.

High unemployment leads to growth.
The local 'job center' manages requalification of unemployed people. These are normally one to six week courses in skills such as welding, forklift certification, etc. Increasing the number of people with qualifications in any of these skills increases supply and decreases the average wage, attracting companies to the area.

People with college degrees in management who are left unemployed are so because there is no demand for degree holders in management. Instead, they should broaden their qualifications to include blue collar jobs in a wide number of fields.

As for the homeless in DG, there is a chance for DG to grow and prosper. Teach them to fill jobs in industry and keep them in DG. You will see new companies coming to DG just to access the cheaper labor.
faduan

Bellwood, IL

#49 Aug 14, 2010
Little heart wrote:
Last night while driving home from Walgreens (Odgen and Main) we encountered 6 homeless people walking across the street...
what the heck is going on in Downers Grove, isn't there a way to make these people leave and go elsewhere?
They are turning our community into a homeless garbage pit...can't the pollice do anything? They are always by the parks...this scares me and my children...Hello..how do we get them to leave?
What a terrible small minded heartless person. I'm glad most people are better than that.
Jay

Chicago, IL

#50 Aug 17, 2010
Down in DG: I couldn't agree more. During my sociology courses at Northwestern, and even before that, during orientation, we learned that the average Chicago homeless person takes in between $45-$60k a YEAR, in cash! It's not uncommon for them to drive their relatively nice cars to certain areas, parking, walking a couple miles and camping out pretending to be homeless. As a society we take so much care of these "downtrodden" people that most of the time they have free or discounted housing on top of vehicle ownership.
pimpuanos

Bellwood, IL

#51 Aug 19, 2010
Jay wrote:
Down in DG: I couldn't agree more. During my sociology courses at Northwestern, and even before that, during orientation, we learned that the average Chicago homeless person takes in between $45-$60k a YEAR, in cash! It's not uncommon for them to drive their relatively nice cars to certain areas, parking, walking a couple miles and camping out pretending to be homeless. As a society we take so much care of these "downtrodden" people that most of the time they have free or discounted housing on top of vehicle ownership.
You're just plain stupid. Genius if they made all that money they wouldn't be homeless and you and heartless b*tch wouldn't have anything to complain about. Go back to school loser and stop making up excuses for being a cheap*ss.
Pedro

Bellwood, IL

#52 Aug 22, 2010
Sometimes I hope little suburban prissy Barbies like 'Little Heart' end up homeless. People like her deserve it. What a worthless piece of sh*t. I wish only bad karma for people like her.
charlie

Bolingbrook, IL

#55 Dec 2, 2011
hey little heart...i have been homeless for a week now and i'm freezing. i'll take ur offer up on a construction job. if you want to see a homeless person trying to better themseves then email me.
djchazzzzychuck@aol.com
dee

Forest Park, IL

#56 Dec 2, 2011
Little heart wrote:
Last night while driving home from Walgreens (Odgen and Main) we encountered 6 homeless people walking across the street...
what the heck is going on in Downers Grove, isn't there a way to make these people leave and go elsewhere?
They are turning our community into a homeless garbage pit...can't the pollice do anything? They are always by the parks...this scares me and my children...Hello..how do we get them to leave?
wait til your in their position u witch..
He who knows

Cicero, IL

#57 Dec 2, 2011
River rafter wrote:
You can also teach them how to raft the river, and also let them know that the east and west branches of the DuPage River empty into the DesPlaines/Illinois river, which empties into the Mississippi river, which in turn flows straight to the Gulf of Mexico. From my point of view, the biggest enemy of all for homeless people is winter's deep freeze. Homeless people can be taught how to tie logs together with vines to make a raft, and even top it with any type of flat surface that can be made from discarded plywood, they can be taught how to fish, and they can be taught how to use a stick to keep the raft towards the center of the river where the currents are strongest. They also should be taught how to portage around any dams encountered.
New Orleans, Louisiana has quite a few nice homeless shelters that are quite capable of getting homeless people back on their feet. And especially as New Orleans does not get brutally cold in the winter; in fact, New Orleans has gotten as warm as 60s and even a few 70s in January before. A list of New Orleans homeless shelters can be found at http://www.homelessshelterdirectory.org/cgi-b...

And believe it or not, the Mississippi River goes right through the center of New Orleans.
love of dg

United States

#58 Dec 4, 2011
Ok I grew up on 67th n main I moved out when they built all the new houses they tore down my house n built a 500k house they f trying to turn a great neighborhood into a snobby one but sorry to say this look around u u have a bad town on each side of u westmont snd woodridge and the kids from them towns go to ur highschool pretty soon they will have metal detectors at south you think u live in such a great neigborhood cuz of the housing is so nice but downers won't be the same as wen we had our little old houses and NICE people everyone knew everyone and grew up together
Rip Tyler delves n James Anderson love you both
little heart

Chicago, IL

#59 Dec 15, 2011
Wow, didn't expect the reation that I did..thanks it was for a college term paper.
It is true what we say that night 1 year ago, and I was sadenned by the fact they didn't want my help, they wanted to be left alone.
I am not a witch, my children and I work at the Pads shelter and work sorting food for those less fortunate then us. I do not wish thier lifestyle on anyone..
and I am sorry that you wished it upon me. I am trying to better myself for my children and our future by returning to school.

“Peter Smedskjaer ROCKS!”

Since: Jul 09

Woodridge

#60 Mar 19, 2012
Poorly executed study of reactions. I guess it is either your first or second year at college.

Yes. Most homeless would rather be left alone. They aren't flocking for your good graces the moment you offer them because you are a stranger to them. Relationships are more important than money, even when poor.

“Peter Smedskjaer ROCKS!”

Since: Jul 09

Woodridge

#61 Mar 19, 2012
love of dg wrote:
Ok I grew up on 67th n main I moved out when they built all the new houses they tore down my house n built a 500k house they f trying to turn a great neighborhood into a snobby one but sorry to say this look around u u have a bad town on each side of u westmont snd woodridge and the kids from them towns go to ur highschool pretty soon they will have metal detectors at south you think u live in such a great neigborhood cuz of the housing is so nice but downers won't be the same as wen we had our little old houses and NICE people everyone knew everyone and grew up together
Rip Tyler delves n James Anderson love you both
HEY! I grew up in Woodridge!
tak

Elgin, IL

#62 Apr 22, 2012
Little heart wrote:
Okay..first the way I knew they were homeless is because they were carring everything they owned on thier back and in bags. I have helped plenty of homeless, I donate money, food and clothing to our PADS shelter.
I even offered one a job with our construction company, and his reply was "Naw, that isn't for me"
And all the job was, was cleaning the work areas,$20 per hour cash...
So please don't play the bleeding heart thing...I have tried to help..and they don't want it. They want the free hand outs, not to work!
you own a few companys and you are paying CASH! Maybe the irs should look into your tax returns. The rick get ricker ane the poor get poorer. you sound like a downers grove snoody bitch, move, we don't want people like YOU here in our town
sad

Westmont, IL

#63 Friday Apr 24
Nicant wrote:
You never know someone's story... sometimes homeless dont want our help because they know ppl lke little heart don't truely offer this helping hand. they simple pretend to help so they can say they tried and they make themselves feel better.
That is the most ridiculous response I have ever heard. Like someone in need is going to decline any kind of help because of the persons possible questionable intentions...give me a break...seriously. Many people are homeless, but the ones that are of a concern are those who aggressively panhandle, hang out in parks...or should I say pass out in parks and publicly display inappropriate behavior. Those are the people I see walking around at night or populating the parks and many other public places. Homelessness should not be stereotyped. Maybe this person should have said drunks and derelicts without means instead of homeless. Don't jump, I am assuming her bones because she is concerned about a growing problem. Maybe you should pull your head out of the sand and see the problem for what it is.....a big problem!! As a community, anyone have any solutions to this 'real' problem?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Downers Grove Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bolingbrook - worst suburb in Chicagoland 4 hr Who b dat babys d... 600
News 4.2-magnitude Michigan earthquake felt througho... 14 hr Wassup 1
News Naperville parks director gets $20,000 raise in... 16 hr WTF 2
Review - Vazquez Landscape $20 really is too g... Sat Schulers Lawn Care 2
News $20,000 pay raise in works for Naperville Park ... Fri Not A Bed Bug 1
Where to go out in town Thu USAF 7
News Mokena Named One of Chicago's Most Pet Friendly... Apr 30 MokenaStElder 2
More from around the web

Downers Grove People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]