Homeless in Downers Grove
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Little heart

Chicago, IL

#1 Nov 3, 2008
Last night while driving home from Walgreens (Odgen and Main) we encountered 6 homeless people walking across the street...
what the heck is going on in Downers Grove, isn't there a way to make these people leave and go elsewhere?
They are turning our community into a homeless garbage pit...can't the pollice do anything? They are always by the parks...this scares me and my children...Hello..how do we get them to leave?
nicant

Naperville, IL

#2 Nov 8, 2008
invite them to ur house so that "our community" isnt a garbage pit or.... move. little heart is right little black heart.
Happy Gas

Downers Grove, IL

#3 Nov 9, 2008
Perhaps one (and keep in mind I said ONE) reason we have homeless people is because of little-hearted people such as yourself in this world. Ignorance itself causes a whole other issue. I hope you never find yourself down on your luck. It's a difficult place to get out of once you're in it, although possible with a little help and patience from kind-hearted people and a little perseverance.
Happy Gas

Downers Grove, IL

#4 Nov 9, 2008
May I ask, by the way, how did you know these people were homeless? Did you assume by the way they looked?
Little heart

Chicago, IL

#5 Nov 11, 2008
Okay..first the way I knew they were homeless is because they were carring everything they owned on thier back and in bags. I have helped plenty of homeless, I donate money, food and clothing to our PADS shelter.
I even offered one a job with our construction company, and his reply was "Naw, that isn't for me"
And all the job was, was cleaning the work areas,$20 per hour cash...
So please don't play the bleeding heart thing...I have tried to help..and they don't want it. They want the free hand outs, not to work!
Happy Gas

Downers Grove, IL

#6 Nov 11, 2008
You're contradicting yourself by donating money, food, and clothing, and then turning around and saying they "scare you and your children and that they're turning our community into a garbage pit". Offering one homeless person a job that turned it down does not speak for the homeless community as a whole. I disagree that the homeless do not want to work. How many homeless people have you actually sat down and spoken with? I'm not playing the "bleeding heart". I'm speaking from mere experience.
Nicant

Naperville, IL

#7 Nov 13, 2008
You never know someone's story... sometimes homeless dont want our help because they know ppl lke little heart don't truely offer this helping hand. they simple pretend to help so they can say they tried and they make themselves feel better.
Sandra

United States

#8 Nov 13, 2008
I have noticed that around this time of year a lot of "homeless" people show up around the rail lines. They do ride trains and get off every now and then to stay warm. If you were homeless, how would you stay warm?

“Lets redistribute the wealth!”

Since: Nov 08

Where's my check?

#9 Nov 15, 2008
They're all future voters for Obama. I say let them stay.
Know Better

United States

#10 Nov 17, 2008
Believe me, there are some people in that area that create homelessness with the help of area law enforcement using ignorance of reality in an individual's life, I've seen hallucinations about what an individual does for a living, then they do break ins, steal what they want. Cops laugh and assist them, most are sleazy jealous people, then they get upset when the homeless they have created are in the community. In some cases there really is a process that is used to appease some very sick individual's and gain another's wealth. I've seen it, I've been through it, and along with other individuals involved in full lives outside of the DuPage area that have experienced similar happenings, I advise people of substance to live elsewhere.
Solution

Chicago, IL

#11 Nov 17, 2008
When you live in a neighborhood full of $500,000 homes, you don't expect to see homeless people. Pretty understandable why that would be upsetting to some, especially when they moved out of the city to get away from that sort of element.
Know Better

United States

#12 Nov 17, 2008
Solution - check your demographics, not full of $500k homes, there is quite a mix including a slew of Section 8 housing and lower middle-class areas.
Know Better

United States

#14 Nov 17, 2008
Solution - That link does not give you demographics or socio economic profiles, just homes on the market that aren't the norm. There are $500k homes, plus yes, but the majority of the housing is on the opposite end of the spectrum or in between.
Living in DG

Lombard, IL

#15 Apr 15, 2009
There are 3 PADS shelter nights a week operating in Downers Grove from Oct - May that is why a lot of homeless are seen around the rail lines, downtown and in the library. Hinsdale and Naperville also have PADS nights during these months. $500K - $900K homes we have plenty, the average is more like $350, with the majority in between. Depends on the area of town. Closer to the town boarders are the cheaper older one story frame ranch homes. DG average income $60-80.
zera

Woodridge, IL

#16 Apr 24, 2009
Little heart wrote:
Last night while driving home from Walgreens (Odgen and Main) we encountered 6 homeless people walking across the street...
what the heck is going on in Downers Grove, isn't there a way to make these people leave and go elsewhere?
They are turning our community into a homeless garbage pit...can't the pollice do anything? They are always by the parks...this scares me and my children...Hello..how do we get them to leave?
We're in a middle of a depression right now. Maybe you should do what your friend Hitler did? Line up all the men, women and children and shoot them. Better yet why don't you go move into a country that is run by a dictatorship?
Smedskjaer

Roskilde, Denmark

#17 Jul 27, 2009
It amazes me, how heartless some people can be, while remaining delusional about how they help the homeless and give themselves pats on the back.

If they were homeless, per your expert determination, where else should they be? Should they be put into detention centers? A new town created, just for them? Put out of their misery?

What if you suddenly were homeless? Where would you go? Chicago, away from your loved ones who simply do not have enough to help you? Or would you, despite being homeless, choose to stay close to what family you do have, even if it is offensive to others such as yourself?

If you should feel ashamed for yourself, good for you.

-- An American Ex-Pat.
teal

United States

#18 Jul 27, 2009
The folks that hang around the train station may or may not be homeless. When they definitely are is junkies. They take the train into town to get methadone treatments from the unmarked “clinic” at Main and Rogers, the storefront with the white curtains and no other makings.

A number of years ago the medical facility that was in that building at that location moved, however since the zoning for medical use didn’t change it meant that such a facility could be opened without review, and it was. Soon after folks started to remark on the plight of the sudden increase of Dowers Grove homeless, don’t be so naďve. You want the junkies gone? Get rid of the methadone clinic and watch what happens.

“Peter Smedskjaer ROCKS!”

Since: Jul 09

Woodridge

#19 Jul 28, 2009
Yeah, move it to Naperville. They should have to deal with it, not us!

On the other hand, these people use methadone to treat dependency on opiates, so if the clinic was left open, they wouldn't feel the addicting call of opiates and likely wouldn't start doing drugs again.
Down in Downer Grove

Lake Zurich, IL

#21 Nov 10, 2009
teal wrote:
The folks that hang around the train station may or may not be homeless. When they definitely are is junkies. They take the train into town to get methadone treatments from the unmarked “clinic” at Main and Rogers, the storefront with the white curtains and no other makings.
A number of years ago the medical facility that was in that building at that location moved, however since the zoning for medical use didn’t change it meant that such a facility could be opened without review, and it was. Soon after folks started to remark on the plight of the sudden increase of Dowers Grove homeless, don’t be so naďve. You want the junkies gone? Get rid of the methadone clinic and watch what happens.
You people are naive!!!! Do you know how much a so called homeless person makes in a year? Go back to school and take sociology and you may find that these people play on what they want you to think. They know that if you think they are a drunk and just want money for that and are honest with you in the signs that they hold up; that because they were homeless you will give them some change. Some so called homeless people make up to 50,000.00 a year!!!! But keep giving because you may touch the life of a true person in need!!!! Not all homeless people are junkies. Most homeless people need the help and even if they didn't give them created for being creative! It takes alot of time from these peoples families to sit on a corner and beg for money so they do work for what they get!!!
Down in Downer Grove

Lake Zurich, IL

#22 Nov 10, 2009
Smedskjaer wrote:
Yeah, move it to Naperville. They should have to deal with it, not us!
On the other hand, these people use methadone to treat dependency on opiates, so if the clinic was left open, they wouldn't feel the addicting call of opiates and likely wouldn't start doing drugs again.
Your stupid!!!!! Us? How about the problem in America? Africa for that fact. You are heartless obviously and stupid! Homeless does not always mean on the streets. They are on the streets cause people don't care enough to get involved and the shelter has to close between a certain period because they do not have enough volunteers or money to run them all day!!! The people are usually asleep during the day due to having to be awake at night because it is not always safe. Doing drugs is a choice and a lot of people have been addicted due to doctors taking what money they can from programs the homeless may be on and taking up your tax dollars and then shut the person off or the person just becomes out of reality and then must fend for themselves in whatever means necessary.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Downers Grove Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Northlake chief Nissen is hated by his offi... (Nov '16) Fri The Serbs 13
News Naperville, Aurora, others unite to oppose wire... Nov 15 Jake 1
Russians descendants of Serbs Nov 15 The Serbs 1
News Naperville man charged in murder plot (Jan '10) Nov 15 TrashCan 17
Comcast or at & t? Nov 14 JudyintheSky 1
Crime in Carol Stream (May '09) Nov 11 Jerdo77 19
News Oakbrook Terrace water slides had good ride in ... (Jul '09) Nov 5 KSM2243 76

Downers Grove Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Downers Grove Mortgages