Springetts police chief retiring, cites Hatch Act

Full story: InYork

Springettsbury Township Police Chief David Eshbach is retiring June 7, after being told by federal officials that he is violating the federal Hatch Act.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of60
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Wrong

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
May 26, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

1

thrown out wrote:
I say throw him out.The three that were running down in Edie's area were basically thrown out barring any time and money they spent so what's the difference here. Just because they eliminated teh office? He violated federal law!!! Even thought he spent donated committee money! Wonder what Platts, Grove and Gillespie are thinking now??
As a voter I feel cheated. This guy must think the voters are stupid. He breaks federal law and then retires as a punishment? He must be kidding! I just read the Hatch Act. It is VERY clear. Even a kid could comprehend it. He is married to an attorney! She didn't know??? Somebody is either very stupid or very corrupt! Which one is it?
Cheated

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
May 26, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

1

So what kind of judge did we elect? One who can't read or one who tries to hid behind the law he breaks? Is Laird also in violation? Did the chief check into this as well? I lost faith in politicians. Will he do the right thing and drop out of an election that he is not eligible for? We shall see.....
Truth

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
May 26, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Sanity please wrote:
I've known Dave for 30 years. He's an honest man. Without equivocation, I trust him. He consulted with attorneys in advance of the decision to run. The consenting opinion was that he was not in violation of the Hatch Act. Those of you who accuse him of corruption do not know the man or the facts. I suspect several of the posters are actually one person with a twisted vendetta.
So then you support someone who breaks federal law? Birds of a feather flock together!
stupid comments

Hanover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
May 26, 2011
 

Judged:

3

3

2

You know what I find ironic about the"Hatch Act". It is supposed to apply to "candidates running for partisan office who also work in supervisory positions for any agency or business receiving federal funding are also covered under the act."

The way I read this every township supervisor, commissioner or borough council member whose township or town receives federal money would also be in violation as they supervise, approve and sign applications and reports for all federal funding. Because Chief Eshbach's police department received a few grants for vests, equipment and personnel they say he is in violation of the hatch act. Well if he is in violation then so is every elected township or borough official who has every received federal money, and believe me there are very few municipalities that don't receive federal money in some form. The interpretation of this antiquated law is about as subjective as the weather. It depends whom you talk to at the office of “special council”, I know because I’ve talked to them about the “Hatch Act” and local government elections, and they admit the law is outdated and totally interpretive, just another example of federal government bureaucracy. Leave Chief Eshbach alone, he is taking action to correct a situation where he is in the right but is choosing to take the high road.
LOLOL

Larchmont, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#27
May 26, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

1

So you can't read either? No buster, the high road is to admit you are wrong and refuse to be elected to a position that it was ILLEGAL to run for. What kind of a police chief simply retires? Next time YOU commit a crime, simply play stupid. Tell me how well that works!
hanging chad

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#28
May 26, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

1

What about all the other candidates that ran for judge in the rest of the county? Doesnt this Hatcher Act apply to them too? I thought I read about aonther candidate that was a captain in west york or york city? And there was a detective sergeant too? I would think this Hatcher business would preclude them as well or am I wrong? Maybe this county should just scrap all the results and redo this whole entire election mess! I am not gonna go as far as to call eshback a crooked politician but you would expect a little more smarts from a guy with that kinda background! Never mind, I just remembered he is from Dover.

Maybe the Dispatch should do some investigative reporting on this?
Taking Action

Manchester, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#29
May 26, 2011
 

Judged:

3

3

1

stupid comments wrote:
You know what I find ironic about the"Hatch Act". It is supposed to apply to "candidates running for partisan office who also work in supervisory positions for any agency or business receiving federal funding are also covered under the act."
The way I read this every township supervisor, commissioner or borough council member whose township or town receives federal money would also be in violation as they supervise, approve and sign applications and reports for all federal funding. Because Chief Eshbach's police department received a few grants for vests, equipment and personnel they say he is in violation of the hatch act. Well if he is in violation then so is every elected township or borough official who has every received federal money, and believe me there are very few municipalities that don't receive federal money in some form. The interpretation of this antiquated law is about as subjective as the weather. It depends whom you talk to at the office of “special council”, I know because I’ve talked to them about the “Hatch Act” and local government elections, and they admit the law is outdated and totally interpretive, just another example of federal government bureaucracy. Leave Chief Eshbach alone, he is taking action to correct a situation where he is in the right but is choosing to take the high road.
Taking action would be to apologize to the voters for being so stupid and uninformed. Taking action would be to apologize to his supporters for his lack of knowledge about the law. As for elected officials violating the hatch act... once someone is elected they are no longer under the hatch act. The hatch act was created to prevent individuals from using their power and influence to sway elections in their favor. The reason police chiefs are subject to the hatch act is because they are the ones who handle the federal money and do the budgeting. They have power and influence as we saw during this primary. Even Todd Platts came to Dover to support eshbach. With all of the lawyers surrounding him one would think that he would receive stellar legal advice.
Question

Manchester, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30
May 26, 2011
 

Judged:

3

3

2

Someone please tell me how this guy can pass judgement on others when he has broken the law? He and the township got off easy. The township could have been fined 2xs the chief's salary and he could have been held for a hearing. How can he ever be taken seriously with his lack of research skills and knowledge.
8man

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#31
May 26, 2011
 

Judged:

3

2

2

This guys tenure as chief is very very questionable ill tell ya .But if we don't stand up and do something about it we,re to blame.It seems in York people have the attitude who cares you will when its to late.Trust me I just sat in front of a Judge and one of springetts flunky cops and got screwed. They had no physical evidence lied under oath and I got screwed with my clothes on, the judge knew it the chief knew it and there's not shit I nor my lawyer could do.When the powers in charge have no regard for you nor GOD you might as well look for somewhere else to live that's my plan.Until then I pray every day to GOD to take these mens lives their unworthy to be among his flock!!!!!
Farmer

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#33
May 26, 2011
 

Judged:

2

2

1

I am a farmer. If I had known about this mans shaddy ways, I would never have voted for him. What can we do?
Good Point

Dallastown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#34
May 26, 2011
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Question wrote:
Someone please tell me how this guy can pass judgement on others when he has broken the law? He and the township got off easy. The township could have been fined 2xs the chief's salary and he could have been held for a hearing. How can he ever be taken seriously with his lack of research skills and knowledge.
One police chief knew better all along and stepped down before running for MDJ. This guy figured the stupid voters in Dover wouldn't know any better. Makes you wonder about all the other folks high up on the food chain who took the time to make sure the election turned out the way it did, like the congressman and the county sheriff. Can we trust any of em at this point? And to think these people make decisions that effect us all...ouch!
stupid comments

Hanover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#35
May 26, 2011
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Taking Action wrote:
<quoted text>
Taking action would be to apologize to the voters for being so stupid and uninformed. Taking action would be to apologize to his supporters for his lack of knowledge about the law. As for elected officials violating the hatch act... once someone is elected they are no longer under the hatch act. The hatch act was created to prevent individuals from using their power and influence to sway elections in their favor. The reason police chiefs are subject to the hatch act is because they are the ones who handle the federal money and do the budgeting. They have power and influence as we saw during this primary. Even Todd Platts came to Dover to support eshbach. With all of the lawyers surrounding him one would think that he would receive stellar legal advice.
Couple things, first no police chief has the ultimate say in budgeting ask one and while you're at it ask all twenty some police chiefs in York County. They ask or advise but the ultimate decisions falls on ELECTED officials. I think the Chief did receive stellar advice and the problem lies at the office of special council, they makes these decisions with no rhyme or reason depending on how the wind blows. Like I said earlier everyone on a ballot in November for supervisor, commissioner, councilman better be damn sure they are clear on the hatch act because the way it reads if they have any connection to federal funds they are also in violation.
stupid comments

Hanover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#36
May 26, 2011
 

Judged:

1

Good Point wrote:
<quoted text>
One police chief knew better all along and stepped down before running for MDJ. This guy figured the stupid voters in Dover wouldn't know any better. Makes you wonder about all the other folks high up on the food chain who took the time to make sure the election turned out the way it did, like the congressman and the county sheriff. Can we trust any of em at this point? And to think these people make decisions that effect us all...ouch!
How about you tell us who this "police chief" was because I don't know of any.
What a Scam

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#37
May 26, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

First of all, he didn't RETIRE - he RESIGNED. He hasn't put in the time nor is he of the age to have RETIRED from the Township. Get the facts straight. Another way for the newspaper to soften what is really going on. He had no choice but to RESIGN.
SoftOnCrime

Manchester, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38
May 27, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Our society is too soft on crime. When someone in law enforcement breaks federal law, they need to be held to the highest standards. This law breaker needs to be punished. This lawbreaker is not fit to serve as a judge.
write right

Moorestown, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#39
May 27, 2011
 

Judged:

3

2

2

eliminate wrote:
I think everyone ought to write formal complaints to the elections office demanding that he be taken off the ballott. Let's bombard them and make them take action!!! To think I voted for this man! I'm pissed!!!!County Of York Dept. of Elections and Voters Registration, Admin Center 28 E. Mkt. St York, Pa. 17401
I think whoever wrote this post is correct we all need to write formal complaints to the elections office demanding he be removed from the ballotts!! He sure buffaloed all the local farmers and everyone else!!
PullHisName

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#40
May 27, 2011
 
write right wrote:
<quoted text>I think whoever wrote this post is correct we all need to write formal complaints to the elections office demanding he be removed from the ballotts!! He sure buffaloed all the local farmers and everyone else!!
I agree! Let's see if the elections office does the right thing. Will he use his "political connections" to scam the voters again, or do the right thing? THe good and decent voters deserve better than this!
PullHisName

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41
May 27, 2011
 
stupid comments wrote:
<quoted text>
Couple things, first no police chief has the ultimate say in budgeting ask one and while you're at it ask all twenty some police chiefs in York County. They ask or advise but the ultimate decisions falls on ELECTED officials. I think the Chief did receive stellar advice and the problem lies at the office of special council, they makes these decisions with no rhyme or reason depending on how the wind blows. Like I said earlier everyone on a ballot in November for supervisor, commissioner, councilman better be damn sure they are clear on the hatch act because the way it reads if they have any connection to federal funds they are also in violation.
You are WRONG! Blaming the office of special council for enforcning the law is like blaming the police for arresting criminals! Are you on the side of truth and justice or on the criminal element side of our society?
criminal options

Moorestown, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#42
May 27, 2011
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Gee it's funny that YDR did a story on this also and they didn't open it up for comments. I wander why?? I also see that some of the posts have been removed from here. Must have to do with his wife Jonelle. That happened before the election too. You know criminals don't get an option when they break the law why should he? He said he'll mow lawns or something till the end of the year. He was trying to have the best of both worlds and now he makes it sound like he is going to be hard off. Yeah right. What about the other candidates that did the right thing in this race? I guess he'll list his reaume farmer,officer and lawn care!
Prosecute

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43
May 27, 2011
 
Why is this violation of federal law not being prosecuted?
Is it because he is a police chief?
Is it because his wife is an attorney with the Attorney Generals Office?
Is it because congressman Todd Platts was handing out his literature at the polls?
Is it because of all of the other political cronies that are listed on his website and liturature?
Equal enforcement of the law for every violation is just!

BY the way: I'm sure that Springettsbury police officers don't just give warnings all day for violations of the law. How do they feel about their chief breaking the law? The public has a right to know!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of60
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Air Quality Alert for York County was issued at July 11 at 3:30PM EDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Dover Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Dover People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Dover News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Dover
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••