State: School districts too generous ...

State: School districts too generous when evaluating Pa. teachers

There are 42 comments on the York Dispatch story from Jun 17, 2011, titled State: School districts too generous when evaluating Pa. teachers. In it, York Dispatch reports that:

Pennsylvania teachers are too kindly evaluated, according to the state Department of Education.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at York Dispatch.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Now Thats Funny

York, PA

#1 Jun 17, 2011
I hope people dont act surprised..This goes on all over the country.Just like if you did the same survey on cops,you will see the same dam thing.Or any other agency that think their better then everyone else and get paid a ton of money for doing nothing.
EX- Educator

York, PA

#2 Jun 17, 2011
Now Thats Funny wrote:
I hope people dont act surprised..This goes on all over the country.Just like if you did the same survey on cops,you will see the same dam thing.Or any other agency that think their better then everyone else and get paid a ton of money for doing nothing.
Shut up and flip the fries before they burn!
WTF

York, PA

#3 Jun 17, 2011
"flip the fries before they burn"?... only in York County. Didn't know fries can be "flipped".
Wow

Lebanon, PA

#4 Jun 17, 2011
You people are dumb. Scary dumb.
Mitch

Loysville, PA

#5 Jun 17, 2011
Evaluating teachers on the progress their students make would be fair. If students come in to a class three years behind grade level, and leave only one year behind, that's two years of progress in one year. Even though the students aren't "proficient" yet, the progress is quite an achievement.
Yeah flip em

York, PA

#6 Jun 17, 2011
WTF wrote:
"flip the fries before they burn"?... only in York County. Didn't know fries can be "flipped".
Ever been in a fast food restaurant when they flip the entire basket to move bottom fries to top/mix them so they don't stick together/burn! There's a lot you don't know and/or understand from your most stupid posts! Carry on!
Man in Black

York, PA

#7 Jun 18, 2011
Mitch wrote:
Evaluating teachers on the progress their students make would be fair. If students come in to a class three years behind grade level, and leave only one year behind, that's two years of progress in one year. Even though the students aren't "proficient" yet, the progress is quite an achievement.
Think on this:
Do we evaluate our doctors by how healthy their patients are? Based on my health my doctor should be fired, I am overweight, out of shape, and eat too much that is not good for me.

Teachers can only work with what they get. The best teacher in the world can be in a classroom with all the resources in the world, but if the kid doesn't want to learn......they won't. Education has to be something they want and value. This comes from the parents instilling it in the child at an early age. This is why private schools and charter schools tend to perform better than public schools. From the outset you have parental involvement in the education process. Since the parent took the time to get involved with which school their child will attend, it follows they will likely be involved in the rest of the process as well.
The moment you evaluate teachers on the performance of the students you will see every good teacher leave the urban districts. The will go to the districts where parents are more involved.
Also need to consider the testing the schools do. Kids taking a test that the know won't effect their grade one way or the other tend to blow off the test. Also need to figure out how to evaluate the inclusion kids in the classroom. Special needs students drag down test scores. A teacher with 10% of the students special will be screwed when it comes to their evaluation.

All is not as easy as it seems.
God

Lansdale, PA

#8 Jun 18, 2011
MIB is the only one here who makes sense.
God

Lansdale, PA

#10 Jun 18, 2011
Salad, agreed.
Man in Black

York, PA

#11 Jun 18, 2011
Ahh but if it doesn't come out chicken salad lets blame the cook for the ingredients they are given.
Bean Thar Dond Thet

York, PA

#12 Jun 18, 2011
Man in Black wrote:
<quoted text>
Think on this:
Do we evaluate our doctors by how healthy their patients are? Based on my health my doctor should be fired, I am overweight, out of shape, and eat too much that is not good for me.
Teachers can only work with what they get. The best teacher in the world can be in a classroom with all the resources in the world, but if the kid doesn't want to learn......they won't. Education has to be something they want and value. This comes from the parents instilling it in the child at an early age. This is why private schools and charter schools tend to perform better than public schools. From the outset you have parental involvement in the education process. Since the parent took the time to get involved with which school their child will attend, it follows they will likely be involved in the rest of the process as well.
The moment you evaluate teachers on the performance of the students you will see every good teacher leave the urban districts. The will go to the districts where parents are more involved.
Also need to consider the testing the schools do. Kids taking a test that the know won't effect their grade one way or the other tend to blow off the test. Also need to figure out how to evaluate the inclusion kids in the classroom. Special needs students drag down test scores. A teacher with 10% of the students special will be screwed when it comes to their evaluation.
All is not as easy as it seems.
Precisely on the money "MIB"! Tried to present the same info to THEM; to no avail. As a retired educator, this is what REALLY takes place. But one will ever convince the public of your keen sense of understanding. God knows, I tried! Thanks much!!!!!!
God

Lansdale, PA

#13 Jun 18, 2011
Suppose you are a supervisor going be evaluted on your employees' "proficiency". The test is written by a retired Coroprate know-nothing and your employees know they will not be penalized for their achievement on the test. Further, no one except the "know-nothing" is allowed to see or evaluate the the test.

If your employees fail, you are fired.

Anyone game for that?

That is exactly the way the PSSA is!
Burt Mustin

York, PA

#15 Jun 18, 2011
The state should be as concerned that about 3/4 of the education majors are graduating with honors at our state universities. Since the state ramped up the GPA requirement for teachers the schools have been giving out higher grades so the grads can get hired.
The way it WUZ

York, PA

#16 Jun 18, 2011
Burt Mustin wrote:
The state should be as concerned that about 3/4 of the education majors are graduating with honors at our state universities. Since the state ramped up the GPA requirement for teachers the schools have been giving out higher grades so the grads can get hired.
Sure wasn't that way in 1950's! I had a .00021 GPA and was made Superintendent of York County Schools! Today, colleges/universities inflate grades and hand out Doctorates so potential below average students can become Superintendents...yeah they do. If you don't believe me, attend a school board open meeting sometime when the Super comes up with his/her vision for the district! Now, now, was only being facetious?????????? Lol...
God

Lansdale, PA

#17 Jun 18, 2011
.000021 GPA ? Uh, you attended one day out of four years?
The way it WUZ

York, PA

#18 Jun 18, 2011
God wrote:
.000021 GPA ? Uh, you attended one day out of four years?
No, no, way back then, I's already got my deegree on the one and only 'block square' sized comptputer in the world which was in Washington, DC. Way ahead of the times with my "cyber shookling"! Al Gore and I matriculated at the same time! Not only that, we went to school together.
God

Lansdale, PA

#19 Jun 18, 2011
I see WUZ, are you being sarcastic or just stoned?
Sarcastically yours

York, PA

#20 Jun 19, 2011
God wrote:
I see WUZ, are you being sarcastic or just stoned?
If you're too dumb to recognize the difference, you most certainly should not be posting on anything to do with education!
God

Lansdale, PA

#21 Jun 19, 2011
Ah, neither! Just another wise-ass posting gibberish.
Blasphemy

York, PA

#22 Jun 19, 2011
God wrote:
Ah, neither! Just another wise-ass posting gibberish.
Most hilarious! Wise-a## yes, gibberish, yes; read YOUR stuff if you want STUPIDITY!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jessica Humphreys Aug 19 Friend of friend 6
News Police log (Aug '08) Jul '15 none 23
News North York wants entire borough to be a drug-fr... Jul '15 Bh smith 1
News Police seeking who stolen jewelry, TVs belong t... Jul '15 Costard 4
Cumberland Valley Farms ??? (Oct '08) Feb '15 Anonymous 5
great site recipes (Feb '15) Feb '15 marilyn 2
Legit supplier of m-a-rij-uauna,pain n anxiety ... (Feb '15) Feb '15 local in dover 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dover Mortgages