Dover school board begins process of ...

Dover school board begins process of closing Kralltown school

There are 16 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Jan 19, 2011, titled Dover school board begins process of closing Kralltown school. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

The Dover Area School Board voted 8-1 tonight to start the process of possibly closing Kralltown Elementary School in Washington Township.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

In The Know

United States

#1 Jan 20, 2011
In Detroit, there's a plan to close half the schools and increase class sizes in the remaining ones to 62 students.

Why?

So that the employee pension plan can be fully funded.

When will we all wake up and realize that its the pay and benefits of school employees that create these budget holes and cause school boards to opt for closing schools instead of freezing salaries for employees and cutting those for top administration.
What about ME ME ME

York, PA

#2 Jan 20, 2011
In The Know wrote:
In Detroit, there's a plan to close half the schools and increase class sizes in the remaining ones to 62 students.
Why?
When will we all wake up and realize that its the pay and benefits of school employees that create these budget holes and cause school boards to opt for closing schools instead of freezing salaries for employees and cutting those for top administration.
I don't mind them closing schools and freezing administration/teacher/employe e salaries, but you damn well better not screw with my Retired Teachers check. Me first, damn it, then if there are excess funds, open a couple schools. And pay your taxes as our fund is gettin' way to low for comfort. Forgot, thought they closed the equivalent of all ONE ROOM school houses decades ago; must not have!
22 bentz mill rd

York, PA

#3 Jan 20, 2011
As a former resident of the Twp i really don`t care if they close that antiquated school,,the Twp looked the other way when my family were exposed to sewage tainted water, the fecal contamination count as recorded by the Septic Enforcement Officer was 1,880,000,, the results of that should have been zero. I hope you lose the battle to keep your precious school, here`s one for you Kralltown sobs to think about,,, IF your brains were gasoline,,you would`nt have enough gas to power a piss ants motorcycle around the inner ring of a cheerio. The Waggoners are to blame for my views of Kralltown,, they are the most crooked pack of a$$holes i have ever met,,,remember that Karma surrounds us all,, in some way or fashion you always get what you give!!! Oh and by the way,,,,,we were exposed to the fecal contamination for 4 yrs,,,we did not realize what was going on until we started to get sick!!!! YOU CAN ALL GO TO HE11!!!!!!!!!!
George

Washington, DC

#4 Jan 20, 2011
Hmmmm, What new athletic facility is planned for the budget this year?
Milford Green RD

Dover, PA

#5 Jan 20, 2011
22 bentz mill rd wrote:
As a former resident of the Twp i really don`t care if they close that antiquated school,,the Twp looked the other way when my family were exposed to sewage tainted water, the fecal contamination count as recorded by the Septic Enforcement Officer was 1,880,000,, the results of that should have been zero. I hope you lose the battle to keep your precious school, here`s one for you Kralltown sobs to think about,,, IF your brains were gasoline,,you would`nt have enough gas to power a **** ants motorcycle around the inner ring of a cheerio. The Waggoners are to blame for my views of Kralltown,, they are the most crooked pack of a$$holes i have ever met,,,remember that Karma surrounds us all,, in some way or fashion you always get what you give!!! Oh and by the way,,,,,we were exposed to the fecal contamination for 4 yrs,,,we did not realize what was going on until we started to get sick!!!! YOU CAN ALL GO TO HE11!!!!!!!!!!
Now now,calm yourself
Chris Hutton

York, PA

#7 Jan 20, 2011
In The Know wrote:
Why?
Somebody's been watching Fox NotNews.
noone

Moorestown, NJ

#8 Jan 20, 2011
What about ME ME ME wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't mind them closing schools and freezing administration/teacher/employe e salaries, but you damn well better not screw with my Retired Teachers check. Me first, damn it, then if there are excess funds, open a couple schools. And pay your taxes as our fund is gettin' way to low for comfort. Forgot, thought they closed the equivalent of all ONE ROOM school houses decades ago; must not have!
It's people like you that are the problem. You created this issue years and years ago and now we have to pay for those mistakes. I say, cut your retired check in half, then only give you a third of that for being a self-centered jerk who thinks his retirement is worth more than anyone else's.
wtf

York Springs, PA

#9 Jan 20, 2011
So.... we close a school to save money.... then later on, we turn around and add on to a school cuz we out of room. Oh wait, we already started adding on to Dover Elem. but..... I thought we had to save money.... I so confused
Dtown_Mom

York, PA

#10 Jan 20, 2011
Only 100 kids? Close to $5 million to fix it up? That is $50K per kid.... yeah, close it!!
SESDGuy

Forest Hill, MD

#11 Jan 20, 2011
Chris Hutton wrote:
<quoted text>
Somebody's been watching Fox NotNews.
That plan actually came from the administrator of Detroit Schools and was reported in the Detroit News.

Do some homework Chris.
city limits

Dover, PA

#12 Jan 20, 2011
Dtown_Mom wrote:
Only 100 kids? Close to $5 million to fix it up? That is $50K per kid.... yeah, close it!!
You have enough of your own problems to worry about in the GREAT "Dtown"
Kralltown Alumna

Auburn Hills, MI

#13 Jan 20, 2011
As a proud Kralltown Alumna, Ivy League graduate, and survivor of the fuel oil tainted water at Kralltown,(Anyone remember those days..none of the kids would drink the water..because it tasted like fuel!)- it saddens me that the school might close.

Yet, it seems like an opportunity...What about opening a Charter school, pre-school - day/care program, special program for gifted & talented, or special needs programs? What about locating some of the "out-of-district" services here?

I don't currently live in the district, but our local school spends a lot on "out-of-district" special services, and always needs classroom space! In addition, may parents pay to have their children go to private school or extended day-care (or special sports programs)- even though our district sends 90% of the graduation class to college.
What about ME ME ME

York, PA

#14 Jan 20, 2011
noone wrote:
<quoted text>
It's people like you that are the problem. You created this issue years and years ago and now we have to pay for those mistakes. I say, cut your retired check in half, then only give you a third of that for being a self-centered jerk who thinks his retirement is worth more than anyone else's.
Your post would be hilarious, if it were not so pathetic! Get real; read between the lines! Why was "Me Me Me" used in post name? Because that is the way too many individuals feel, but will not admit IT! Was being facetious in my post and you swallowed the 'hook, line and sinker'! And "I" created the issue. Sorry, was never in the PA LEGISLATURE; especially not when THEY set up the retirement system. And how about cutting your retirement check from McD's. Since you mentioned it, my self-centered jerk retirement check IS worth much more than many others. You had/have the same opportunity to make something of YOURSELF, what's holding you back. Yea, I know, brains!
Chris Hutton

York, PA

#15 Jan 20, 2011
SESDGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
That plan actually came from the administrator of Detroit Schools and was reported in the Detroit News.
Do some homework Chris.
Well, on Fox NotNews, they said Detroit's current class size is 32 students. Then they said it would DOUBLE to 62. They should do their MATH homework.
Ridge and Bentz Green

Rockville, MD

#16 Jan 21, 2011
I grew up in Kralltown, when I moved away I never looked back, nothing there worth having anyway! Get over it, close the antique and look forward to paying your taxes to pay for that waste of money football field the high school built. They should have used that money to educate the students to read and write an intelligent sentence or figure out a checkbook. Not much calling for football players in the industrial job market these days. Hello cousins!
Eva

AOL

#17 Sep 1, 2011
Got on this site to see if Kralltown, one room school house, had a reunion especially for those who went there in the Fiftys. Does anyone know!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jessica Humphreys (Aug '15) Jul 21 Kkataria 21
News Hostility flares at West York council meeting (Jan '12) Apr '16 Trish 9
increase bust naturally proven results with raw... Apr '16 modeljoanie 1
News Boyfriend may have taken missing Gettysburg tee... (Jan '16) Feb '16 Davenport 22
News Rutter's Opens 'Monument to Convenience' (Dec '15) Feb '16 Steve Gratman 9
folks that care in dover pa Feb '16 Beth ott 1
children's bedtime story yo gabba gabba read by... Feb '16 Beth ott 1

Dover Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dover Mortgages