Wisconsin bicyclist struck and killed...

Wisconsin bicyclist struck and killed in Waukesha County

There are 25 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jun 21, 2010, titled Wisconsin bicyclist struck and killed in Waukesha County. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

The Waukesha County district attorney's office is expected to review a deadly bicyclist crash on Father's Day.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
zingbopper

Cadott, WI

#1 Jun 21, 2010
Another example why it's impossible to share the road with bikes, roads were built for cars not bikes.
Bill in St Paul

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Jun 21, 2010
Even though cyclists have a legal right to the road, both drivers and cyclists need to be aware of each other.

I'm a road rider and rarely use paths or trails, unless the adjacent highway is narrow with only a gravel shoulder.

I feel we need to do more to accomodate cyclists, especially paved shoulders and more bike lanes in urban areas.

We're not going away, and the number of cyclists is growing, particularly bike commuters. The more viable transportation options we have, the better off we'll be as a society.

We could say that pedestrians and car don't mix, and what's the alternative, never cross the street!

So...instead of saying bikes and cars don't mix, how about being more aware of your surroundings on the road and supporting alternative transportation.
Pat

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Jun 21, 2010
Why do some bicyclists insist on using the road when there is a parallel bike path/trail nearby? I've seen this behavior several times and still don't understand it. I have no problem with bikers on the road when there are no alternate routes, but if we're going to spend money for paved shoulders or paths, then USE THEM.

I grew up near Milwaukee and am familiar with the area of the accident. US 18 has at least a 55 MPH speed limit in that area. Why wouldn't you use the bike path under those conditions?
Mark

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Jun 21, 2010
I always use paths if they are available simply because drivers are distracted so often.

In today's vehicles where you are insulated from sound, you have home theatre-like sound systems, blinking and bleeping cellphones and kids using a DVD system in the back, to say nothing of other distractions like bratty kids and drivers reaching for things... it's amazing there aren't more fatalities from inattentive drivers like this than there are.

What we need are more bike paths, wider bike paths, and bike paths that are in better condition.

We also need common sense from drivers to watch where they are going, and from cyclists to not use the streets in places where traffic moves too quickly.
Bill

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Jun 21, 2010
Pat, because we have the right to use the road, and have had that right for more than 100 years. The fact is that trails are usually out of the way, too narrow, not long enough. I shouldn't have to go out of my way to get from point A to point B, just because a driver thinks he/she has more right to use the road that I do.

When I ride on the shoulder, move left of the line only when it isn't save to ride there, stop at stop signs and lights. I go out of my way to be a good rider, because the ones that play by their own rules make it more dangerous for me.

The geniuses who plan roads need to grow a brain and start adding a complete shoulder to all roads. You know, a whopping 4-6'.

And drivers need to shut their mouth with the "GET OFF THE ROAD" and try to clip us with their mirror. Some of us ride armed for our protection. Just saying.

And shame on the sheriff who tries to pin this on the cyclist for using the road and not the trail. Enforce the law, and if the driver was at fault, he should be punished. If it was an accident, then it's very tragic.
Bill

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Jun 21, 2010
Mark, those streets are called freeways, and bikes are banned from them. All I ask on other roads is a real shoulder or bike lanes that aren't conveniently located next to driver side of parked cars, I don't feel like getting door'd.
Gary

Milwaukee, WI

#7 Jun 21, 2010
The bike route in question is not only a pay for use trail it is also filled with walkers and Rollerblades and is generally not good for any serious bike workout. I ride on the section he was killed all the time. I think it was irresponsible of the police to say there are rarely bikers on the road here due the presence of the bike path; that insinuates that he should have been on the bike path.
Bill

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Jun 21, 2010
Zingbopper, try again, and pick up a copy of cyclist laws in Wisconsin. I've got the same right to be there, and if you don't give me 3 feet, i'll call the cops or put my foot into your door.

Here, let me google that for you: http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/safety/vehicle/b...
Gary

Milwaukee, WI

#9 Jun 21, 2010
...furthermore the bike path changes from paved to gravel within a mile of the accident site...so who knows if he was on it at some point or not. I'm hoping to hear more details about this incident as that could just as easily have been me.
Gary

Milwaukee, WI

#10 Jun 21, 2010
(Pat) Though it really isn't relevant to getting rearended by a car the speed near the accident undergoes one or two reductions; not knowing exactly where this happened it's hard to say what the speed limit was. Also, there is a controlled (stoplight) intersection just East of where he was hit. Again it is our right as bikers to ride the roads and not be forced on the trails...
Gary

Milwaukee, WI

#11 Jun 21, 2010
...meant just West of where he was hit...though again it is fuzzy to me exactly where the accident occurred, but in any case it was within a half mile of the controlled intersection.
SafetyFirst

Stillwater, MN

#12 Jun 21, 2010
Was he wearing a helmet?
zingbopper

Cadott, WI

#13 Jun 21, 2010
Bill wrote:
Zingbopper, try again, and pick up a copy of cyclist laws in Wisconsin. I've got the same right to be there, and if you don't give me 3 feet, i'll call the cops or put my foot into your door.
Here, let me google that for you: http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/safety/vehicle/b...
Perfect example of the arrogance of bike riders. Lets see YOU get to judge 3 feet distance and will call the cops if YOU don't think I've given YOU 3 feet? I see. And then YOU follow it up with a phisical threat? And YOU wonder why people like ME have a hard on for little panty waist bike riders like YOU. If YOU did try to kick a car going past YOU at highway speed, it would knock YOU off you bike, fool. So take the seat off that bike of yours, sit down and enjoy your ride. Try to wear something I can identify you by while your riding. Sowhen I realize it's you, I can kick the passenger door open and send you on a real ride, Putz, blow me
Bill

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Jun 21, 2010
Zingbopper, i apologize, i was a little heated. nice language, by the way.

Like I said, plenty of drivers who think they can toy with bikers who are well out of their way and minding their own business. The law says 3 feet, reality says don't be an asshole. Not that hard to understand. I also said I go out of my way to NOT get in the way of traffic and be courteous to drivers. I even stopped flipping off people who hassle me, it was a big step. You have no business being on the shoulder if it's not an emergency, so leave me the hell alone and I'll leave you alone.

As for a physical threat, I don't engage in road rage, but I will defend myself if i'm threatened. Plenty of instances of people getting out of their cars, opening car doors, throwing things at cyclists. I let myself respond in anger and said something I don't really mean.

Arrogant or not, I don't have the power to kill someone on the road, you do. If you're ok with that, then you're a sick man.
zingbopper

Cadott, WI

#15 Jun 21, 2010
Bill wrote:
Zingbopper, i apologize, i was a little heated. nice language, by the way.
Like I said, plenty of drivers who think they can toy with bikers who are well out of their way and minding their own business. The law says 3 feet, reality says don't be an ****. Not that hard to understand. I also said I go out of my way to NOT get in the way of traffic and be courteous to drivers. I even stopped flipping off people who hassle me, it was a big step. You have no business being on the shoulder if it's not an emergency, so leave me the hell alone and I'll leave you alone.
As for a physical threat, I don't engage in road rage, but I will defend myself if i'm threatened. Plenty of instances of people getting out of their cars, opening car doors, throwing things at cyclists. I let myself respond in anger and said something I don't really mean.
Arrogant or not, I don't have the power to kill someone on the road, you do. If you're ok with that, then you're a sick man.
Hello Bill, you need not apologize.I don't want to kill anyone on the road. I just don't like it when bike riders are so " in your face " about rights on the roadway. Cars are the boss on the road, bikes are secondary. You are going 10 mph, and I'm going 55 mph,There is not much reaction time to zig or zag depending on what you do. It's very nerve racking. If a bike rider makes the wrong move, it's all over.
Pat

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Jun 21, 2010
I don't dispute that bicyclists have the right to be on the road with cars. I just think you're asking for trouble when you choose to ride your bike on a high-speed, well-traveled road. Not every driver is going to respect the bicyclists' right to be there, or may not see them until it's too late. The driver may have broken the law when he hits you, but what does it matter? The cyclist will still end up dead or injured. This is just like pedestrians trying to enforce their right-of-way when crossing a busy street by walking in front of moving cars. They still get hit.

If the busy road you wish to travel on doesn't have a parallel path or wide shoulder to use, find an alternate, less traveled route. You're not going to change people's behavior by claiming you have the right to be there. Use common sense.
Pat

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Jun 21, 2010
Oh, and if you must share the roads with cars, then you should also be stopping at stop signs and traffic lights, just like the cars do. It's the law. I don't know how many times I've seen bicyclists ride through signs and red lights as if the sign/light didn't exist.
Pat

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Jun 21, 2010
Gary, the Milwaukee Journal article on this accident quoted the sheriff, who said the speed limit at the accident site was 55 MPH.

Since: Jun 10

Terre Haute, IN

#19 Jun 21, 2010
I hate all these spandex wearing bikers.. Like seriously there is a god damn bike trail. And u wouldn't be as bad if they drove on the side of the road but they swerve into the middle of the road! I'm not even suprised to hear that guy got hit. Because me and my friends have almost hit many of bikers.
Hey Im on my cell phone

Long Lake, MN

#20 Jun 21, 2010
All you bikers need only watch out for ONE driver: THE ONE WITH THE PHONE IN HER EAR!

It won't be the drivers who don't like bikers that kill you, it will be the rolling phone booths!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dousman Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
homes for unwed mothers in 1957 (May '11) Feb '18 Cooneygirl 9
News The Makers of Brownberry Bread Restore a Classic (Jun '07) Nov '17 Sharon Carroll 49
Lake Country Arts & Crafts, Bake Sale and Chili! (Sep '17) Sep '17 cbuech 1
News Anti-Gay Church Protests Brookfield 'Mega Church' (Jul '12) Jul '17 fuuny 21
News Man faces 12 counts of contempt of court after ... (Jul '13) Mar '17 Megan 3
anyone live on wolf drive? (Sep '08) Jan '16 Missouri transplant 5
Review: Super Sealers Asphalt Maintenance (Dec '14) Jan '15 AmandaH 2

Dousman Jobs

Personal Finance

Dousman Mortgages