Cyclist killed in Town of Summit accident

Jun 21, 2010 Full story: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel 8

A 42-year-old bicyclist who raced locally in a citizens series and the Tour of America's Dairyland was killed Sunday morning while riding on Highway 18 in the Town of Summit, authorities reported.

Full Story
Kathy Larson

Milwaukee, WI

#1 Jun 23, 2010
People should start riding on the trails just as they are intended for and stay off the highways.
Also 42

Novato, CA

#2 Jun 24, 2010
Kathy, that is harsh and I wonder what possesed you to write such a cold comment?
I agree, interstates and freeways are no places for a bike. In fact, it's illegal. But for people that enjoy bicycling and road racing like this person evidently did, at some point you might want to get off of the path or city streets and into the country. I am extremely cautious and afraid of riding on any busy road. After seeing what I saw on Father's Day...and then your comment, it only reinforces my fears.
I was on the trail the morning this person was killed. I saw too much and will have images of that person and scene forever. Just because a bicyclist is on a country highway (and we are talking an extremely rural setting) doesn't mean they are due any less care than you would give another car. I don't know why that gentleman was on the road and not the path that was literally 10 feet away, maybe you do. But if not, have a little compasion and respect for others and don't use a public forum like this to seemingly try to justify the death of another human being. If you haven't gotten on a bike in the last decade, you might be missing something. But if you have no interest and want your roads clear of all bicyclist, you picked a poor way furthering your cause.
Dousman resident

Milwaukee, WI

#3 Jun 28, 2010
Also 42- I am a resident of Dousman for 11yrs. The bike trails are for bikes. I ride too however Hwy 18 is not a country road. It is extremely busy and with the growth of the town and the increased traffic, a biker who takes the road instead of the path is not thinking. I have been cut off by bikes and most of the bikers do not obey traffic rules and run stop signs and coast through intercections without stopping. If I blow the horn they flip me off. I would like to know how you get off telling us that bikes are the same as cars. Are you crazy? I hope you stay on the bike path for everyone's sake and do not put misery into a driver that could not avoid hitting you.
understanding

Waukesha, WI

#4 Jun 30, 2010
I live in the same neighborhood that the man who was killed lived in. I honestly think that for someone to sit here and say that bike riders should stay on trails should just shut up. Cyclists have rights too and people should learn to slow down and let them ride too. Everyone enjoys different things and should be able to bike ride where they want to as long as they arent hurting anyone else and he wasnt! Cars need to be aware of what is around them and realize that its not just them on the road! I am soooo sorry for him and his beautiful and loving family! My thoughts and prayers go out to them and hopefully things will turn around for them and get better sometime soon!
Biker

Longmont, CO

#5 Jul 2, 2010
There needs to be more bike lanes and trails throughout your county and towns. The bike unfriendly nature of your communities is appalling.
Yea ok

East Troy, WI

#6 Jul 16, 2010
UHM HELLLLLOOOOOO, The bike trail was 15' to the right! I'm sick of these idiots riding on the road when the bike trail is right THERE!!! And its not even like your tentative riding, your sitting there with your earphones in and not caring about traffic building up behind ya.
Deb

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Aug 15, 2010
USA-I thought this was a country for freedom and choice, not the Home of the all-mighty CAR! This obsession with the car and the freedom to drive like you own the road is sick. Motorists--read your laws. Bikes have a right to use the road, if you like it or not and it doesn't matter if there is a separate bike path 1 foot away. You are required to give them at least 3 feet when passing. Bike paths were put in for the recreational cyclists and families to use who are too fearful to bike in the road. Most have speed restrictions of 10 mph Max. That is so walkers and joggers can share the path with them. To claim that cyclists are all over the road disobeying laws makes me laugh everyday when I see cars with drivers talking on the phone, playing with the radio, texting, eating, speeding, cutting people off, blowing through stop signs, red lights, passing on the right, road raging harassing people, bullying other users, etc...GIVE ME A BRAKE!
For the people

Hastings, NE

#8 Aug 28, 2010
After reading all these comment what seems to be lacking is common sense.!
What happen to the biker was an "accident"
That highway is not that wide and meant for cars. This freedom of choice thing DEB refers to ??? Well the bicyclist had a choice and took the wrong one..
Maybe someone should get stimulus money
For the bike path needed next to the highway next to the bike path already there?
How smart is that to ride on a busy highway????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dousman Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Super Sealers Asphalt Maintenance Dec 10 RyanS 1
women snapchat slaves;) Dec 7 goofy2900 1
Gay teens Nov 23 A little Secret 1
Review: Deb's Main Street Diner (Feb '14) Feb '14 Tobias Tyranus Ti... 1
Man faces 12 counts of contempt of court after ... (Jul '13) Jul '13 wish not to say 1
Report: Woman used son to sell drugs (Apr '12) Apr '12 Darkgally 2
Who do you support for U.S. House in Wisconsin ... (Oct '10) Dec '11 NotaproductofTexas 7
Dousman Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Dousman People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Dousman News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Dousman

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:41 pm PST

Bleacher Report 3:41PM