First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sugarmagnolia

Boynton Beach, FL

#1 Dec 28, 2009
From Channel 11 news:

Douglas County, GA -- A Douglas County paramedic has died after authorities say a car turned into his emergency vehicle.
Paul Holmes died early Monday morning at Grady Memorial Hospital after the crash injured he and another paramedic late Saturday.
Witnesses said the sirens were blaring and the lights were flashing on the ambulance, and yet the driver in front didn't move.
As the ambulance tried to pass on Anneewakee Road, the car apparently turned into the emergency vehicle, causing it to flip over...
"From the witness accounts we got, it rolled about three times," said Douglas County Fire Chief Scott Spencer...
"Please, please, please pull over, slow down, pull over to the right side, get out of the way," he said.(Chief Spencer)
That's not just good advice, it's the law.
When an emergency vehicle approaches with lights and sirens on, drivers are required yield the right of way by pulling over to the right.
They're also required to stop if it's safe and practical to do so.
The paramedic who was thrown from the ambulance, Daniel Young, was airlifted to Grady Memorial Hospital and is recovering at home.
The driver of the car suffered serious injuries. She was transported to Wellstar Douglas Hospital.
The driver of the ambulance was also taken to Douglas Hospital with minor injuries.
The article can be found www.11alive.com
wow

Alpharetta, GA

#2 Dec 28, 2009
Thoughts and prayers to the family and D.C.F.D.
bill

Lithonia, GA

#3 Dec 28, 2009
People just don't know how to drive anymore.

I see this over and over in Atlanta on the busy surface streets. An emergency vehicle approaches and people just don't bother to get out of the way, especially at intersections. I'll see lights turn green, and some idiot will pull out in front of an oncoming emergency vehicle.

When I was a kid, EVERYBODY pulled over onto the side of the road EVERY TIME when when an emergency vehicle approached. As a 5 year old kid, I knew what to do.

What has happened to the world in the last 30 years or so? It's ugly, whatever it is.
Sandra Barber Rabern

Powder Springs, GA

#4 Dec 28, 2009
I sure do hate to read that someone was killed while tying to help others.I have noticed that folks are driving crazy these days.You are supposed to move over and get our of the way of emergency vehicles,you are not supposed to collide into them.I sure hope this was not another case of drunk driving.Here in Douglasville we seem to have a lot of that.My condolances to the Holmes family,and I am praying for all the other people in this terrable accident.
Could be Anybody

Douglasville, GA

#5 Dec 28, 2009
I was coming home Saturday night from work and came upon this accident on Annawakee. Everyone had to turn around and go back to take another route. As I was returning to Pope Rd. another ambulance and firetruck was coming to the scene. The car in front of me didn't slow down or pull over. This was the second accident I saw in a week on my way home from the airport. I don't understand what is wrong with people. The rules are clear, they are there to make things safer for all. No one uses their lights when it rains, very few people signal, I am constantly being tailgated and I have had cars pass me on Campbellton Rd going 90 mph. I don't like driving on the freeway but Sunday night I took I-20 home and it was actually more relaxing although 7 miles further. My sympathies to the families that lost their loved one. Everyone be more careful!
mmm15937

Douglasville, GA

#6 Dec 28, 2009
Somebody was probably gabbing on their cell phone. They need to check the cell phone record of the person at fault. If its found they were texting or talking on their cell phone at the time of the accident they should be given the death penalty.
DouglasCitizen

Douglasville, GA

#7 Dec 28, 2009
I've seen more tailgating too, and I've seen a LOT of people turning without signaling. If they hit me, it's their fault because I was going the speed limit. And as I was driving home, the sun was setting, and the majority of people had their lights on...but some didn't. Driving without lights on makes it hard to see people if you are driving west with the sun glaring down.

Why is the driver of the car not being charged????
eieiou812

Lithia Springs, GA

#8 Dec 28, 2009
He left behind a wife and 4-year old daughter.

According to the National EMS Memorial Service, funeral arrangements for Firefighter/Paramedic Paul Holmes are as follows:

Visitation: Thurs., Dec. 31 from 4 to 8 p.m. at Whitley-Garner at Rosehaven Funeral Home, 8640 Rose Ave. in Douglasville, GA 30134. Also Fri., Jan. 1 from 4 to 8 p.m. at Whitley-Garner at Rosehaven Funeral Home.

Service: Sat., Jan. 2 at 2 p.m. at Douglasville 1st Baptist Church, 5900 Prestley Mill Rd.in Douglasville, GA 30135.

Interment: Sat., Jan. 2 after service, Whitley-Garner at Rosehaven Cemetery at 8640 Rose Ave., Douglasville, GA 30134. An honor processional from the Douglas County Fire/EMS Department will carry and accompany Mr. Holmes from the Church to the internment.
Clayton County

United States

#9 Dec 28, 2009
The driver of the car was an 18 year old girl.
joker

Boynton Beach, FL

#10 Dec 28, 2009
I could care less how old she is!Her driving obviously,is not of a responsible person.

If she is that stupid to pull over or just stop they could of gone around her.She should be charged spend time in jail for causing this Man's death.Another teenage know it all that should of been home instead of keeping the roads hot.

“Unions are still scum ”

Since: Dec 07

Atlanta

#11 Dec 29, 2009
Damn! One of the good guys.
Crabapple

Lithonia, GA

#12 Dec 29, 2009
joker wrote:
I could care less how old she is!Her driving obviously,is not of a responsible person.
If she is that stupid to pull over or just stop they could of gone around her.She should be charged spend time in jail for causing this Man's death.Another teenage know it all that should of been home instead of keeping the roads hot.
OK, it is common sense time. Whoever the driver is, she was possibly confused by the sirens and made a wrong decision. No one would turn into the path of an approaching emergency vehicle on purpose unless they were suicidal. She may not have been doing anything wrong, she could just not understand what was going on in traffic and thought that the vehicle was coming up on the right side of her instead of the left. Sirens and flashing lights can be sudden and scary. Also, other cars and trucks on the road can cause one to make difficult and instant decisions.

When you are out in your car and suddenly an emergency vehicle, fire truck, ambulance, police car shows up and I do mean "SUDDENLY" it can be difficult to know exactly what the right move is. This was an accident. Yes, she might have been drunk or on drugs or on her cell phone, but she also might have been confused as to exactly what to do or aware that another vehicle was near her that she might crash into. And if she is that young, 18, she hasn't been driving all that long and might not have enough experience behind the wheel to do what all of us older wiser drivers would have done.

Let's not just kill her or send her to jail until the facts surrounding the incident come out. She was obviously in the wrong place at the right time, but she may very well be innocent of any of the charges you people are pointing at her.

This is why we have a term in the language called "accident." If you slip and cut your finger, it can be called an accident. You didn't do it on purpose and it didn't happen in any way you expected but wtf, you are bleeding.

My heartfelt condolences go out to the victim's family, to this community who needs all the heroes it can get, and to the girl who is involved in the accident and to her family and friends as well. This is a total tragedy, but not a crime unless other information comes out. It is so sad when things like this happen, especially when good people are trying to help others, and also at this time of year, it makes it especially poignant.
Anon Me

Dallas, GA

#13 Dec 29, 2009
My prayers go out to the injured EMT and to the family of the deceased. So so sad!
Sandra Barber Rabern

Powder Springs, GA

#14 Dec 29, 2009
I did wonder if maybe the driver got frightened by all the sirens and lights and turned into the vehicle,instead of away from it.That is a possibility.Especially if the driver was inexperienced.
dude

Marietta, GA

#15 Dec 29, 2009
most of the accidents you see and people driving all over the road have douglas county tags.THey want to run in front of other people,cut you off,drive 40 in the fast lane on I-20 and then speed up while you try to pass in the slow lane.I HATE DOUGLAS COUNTY DRIVERS,except ME
dan

United States

#16 Dec 29, 2009
Apple Man,if she was that freaked out as you think she shouldn't be driving.A Man died because of another teenager and their lack of experience she needs to pay for what she did no excuses.

There is no excuse you can come up with that gives this girl a free pass.Countless people constantly,don't pull over for these emergency vehicles this is a no brain-er common sense.If you are not smart enough to realize this girl is at fault you are a part of the problem.
Crabapple

Lithonia, GA

#17 Dec 29, 2009
Well then I'm part of the problem because I understand that there are things called "accidents." They happen to good people too. We call them "accidents" because they are totally unexpected and have a randomness about them that is inexplicable.

This is not a young adult who decided to be a criminal, this is a person who was in the wrong place at the right time and somehow found herself in a life/death situation.

The death of the wonderful and innocent EMS man is so tragic. There is nothing to be gained by crucifying the girl responsible. She has this haunting her for the rest of her hopefully very long life. The EMS guy had a neat little family with a 4yo daughter and a wonderful wife. Now they don't have their hero at their side.
The girl has a family who know that she is in trouble and hopefully they will support her and help her because she will now have a long sad life of regret.

All the venom and hatred in here needs to stop. We can't bring back the accident victim and that is frustrating. All we can do is get to the bottom of this situation, try to understand it, and move on. I feel sorry for everyone involved in this senseless accident.
Douglas County Resident

Douglasville, GA

#18 Dec 31, 2009
I agree that this is a possible accident. Who knows. Again the news decides what to say and what not to say. You do not know all of the facts. You guys just assume you know and really you are making an ass out of yourselves. Leave the person alone and mind your own business. It is sad for the death of someone, but an accident...the justice system will prevail. Also I bet money every single one of you have at one point in time talked on your cell phone while driving. Death penalty for an accident, come on...Yes someone died and it is horrible,my heart goes out to them and their family, but why ruin more lives? I'm not saying give the person a free ride, there should be punishment in someway...
mmm15937

Conyers, GA

#19 Jan 2, 2010
I do not talk on my cell phone when I drive. An accident is running over a peace of metal in the road cutting a tire and losing control. An accident is a deer jumping out of the woods right in front of you and you hitting it. Gabbing or texting on your phone while driving is not an accident. Its an act of stupidity. I'm almost killed several times a week by people crossing the center lane while gabbing on their phones. This may not be what caused this but it would not surprise me if it did.
daw

Powder Springs, GA

#20 Jan 2, 2010
mmm15937 wrote:
I do not talk on my cell phone when I drive. An accident is running over a peace of metal in the road cutting a tire and losing control. An accident is a deer jumping out of the woods right in front of you and you hitting it. Gabbing or texting on your phone while driving is not an accident. Its an act of stupidity. I'm almost killed several times a week by people crossing the center lane while gabbing on their phones. This may not be what caused this but it would not surprise me if it did.
You are right on.I'm so dam tired of these same one's finding excuses for other's that are nothing more than space-cadet's when they get into a car.No wonder why nobody takes responsibility,for their actions when people like the apple dude is always hugging a tree for the left.AKA another Obama supporter I would imagine.Some people must pay for their accident so other's have an example,to pull over not pull in front of a emergency vehicle.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Douglasville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How did you all make it through the snow day? 11 hr Jacksonv 6
Jennifer Knight for superior court judge (May '10) 20 hr Edward 377
Tom Worthan's Douglas County Sat POLEMICS 12
Douglasville is the new Atlanta Getto. Thu Justin 3
Baseball at Winston Park (May '13) Jan 18 Atlbravesgirlie 19
Commissioner Kelly Robinson fails in BUSINESS (Jul '12) Jan 16 FAUXRESUME 6
News Curb, gutter on deck for Dallas Highway Jan 15 what 3

Douglasville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance