What has happened to the Bear Creeek ...

What has happened to the Bear Creeek Subdivision

Posted in the Douglasville Forum

Gerald Johnson

Rome, GA

#1 Jan 30, 2008
Fellow citizens,

I was wondering if anyone know what the heck happened to the Bear Creek development? First the development (the original country club part) was never completed and I'd guess that more than 70% of the homes there are "For Sale", foreclosed, and/or empty. What happenend?!?!?!

Bad management? Inadequate planning? I know the golf club went under, but would that have this huge of an impact on the houses? When it was developed back in the late 90s, early 2000s, it was touted as being a "one-up" on Chapel Hills. Now if you research online, you'll find homes for sale there now for FAR less than what they originally sold for.

I think it's an OUTSTANDING opportunity for investors. I'd love to see someone get in there, buy out the development, bring back the golf course and add a private school. It probably won't happen now that they've tied in this "Legends" section with a bunch of cheap, overpriced cookie cutters.
x dville x - 4 real

Douglasville, GA

#2 Jan 31, 2008
I have two different friends that moved in at the beginning, in the golf club part. They had nothing but problems. Problems with a builder that didn't pay his bills (liens on their homes!), misrepresented materials in the homes, etc.

It went under at least twice, at one point Jesse Tuggle was going to bail it out. It was a real shame, too. It is a very beautiful area.

After that I haven't heard of any interest in it - there were a lot of planning ideas that seemed dumb from the start. Like, they didn't invest in a club house, or an entrance from Chapel Hill Rd.
A home that was featured in the AJC weekend home section sat empty for a very long time, with windows and doors open! Brand new! It was sad to see it waste away.

I am sure there are a lot of lawsuits.

The last I heard, many homes had become rentals, sold at drastically reduced rates, or were vacant.
That was 3-4 years ago. I know my one friend paid over 600K for his home, and invested in it heavily - to have the house next door rented out, and the renters use towels and sheets for curtains.

Since then, I haven't heard anything, so I assume it is in the same shape. I thought that with all the development on 166 that someone would pick it up again.

It is an absolute waste. Maybe one day, when things pick back up, someone will see the potential there and finish what they started.

Since: Dec 07

douglasville ga

#3 Jan 31, 2008
This development has had a long history of poor planning from day one. Where do we start.
A group of Southern Baptist were the original owners. They spent a ton of money for the property and developing the golf course. 7 million, I heard? I heard their wives were involved in laying out the golf course at the start. I believe this one. It was 5800 yards from the back tees when they finished. I don't know who they brought in after that but they were not course designers. I always said my favorite hole was #18, because I got to leave after that one. The course was not playable by an average golfer. A very hard golf course. The second hole was a par four that had a blind layup shot off of the tee and I had to hit eight iron. There were four good golf holes out of 18. Then since the owners were Southern Baptist, they didn't allow alcohol on the course, period. That is fine for personal goals but in the golf world, this killed their golf outings. Nobody wanted to have a tournament out there without alcohol! They never made enough money to build a pro-shop. They did have a very nice double wide. Money got short and the turf care staff and chemicals are always the first to suffer. The course went downhill.
Second, I heard a group lead by Jesse Tuggle was looking to buy the property and raised the funds but then the money man took all of the money and left the country? I don't know this for a fact, but I do know the deal feel through.
Third the houses were very nice and at the peak of the housing market was doing o.k. They built a very nice swim tennis and a clubhouse. I heard ex-Georgia, Eric Zeier bought a house at Bear Creek? Maybe rumor? The new Chapel Hill High School and Holy Springs School should have helped but the development was too far out of the way for me.
In the end, a builder from Douglasville bought the property and I feel that he never had any intentions to continue operating the golf course. He just wanted the land. He is a great guy and I wish him the best but he bought at the very worst time of the current housing cycle.
Bad management, Inadequate planning, Poor choices, I think these are just three of a hundred problems that the first owners produced.
What will happen, nothing for a couple of years. Houses are now the only thing Bear Creek has to offer.
As for the "Legends" section, what do you expect the builder to build at this point, 700K houses? Let him try to sell something and make his truck payment at least. I have only spoke to him two times and I think he is a great guy. Good Luck to him!
x dville x

Douglasville, GA

#4 Jan 31, 2008
I am pretty sure that part about the guy skipping town with all the money was true - I remember when it happened and I read that part in the Sentinel, Sadly, it wasn't even the first time this creep had done something like that!

How much of the property is actually buildable? There were areas that frequently flooded and I thought there were issues with the setbacks from the streams and water basin areas...

I heard that the first design allowed for a lot more houses, making the property more valuable for developers - but because of zoning changes regarding setbacks from streams, there were a lot less buildable plots...

I would like to see it developed in a way that protected the natural beauty of the area, and there is a lot of wildlife out there, too.
x dville x

Douglasville, GA

#5 Jan 31, 2008
I am pretty sure that part about the guy skipping town with all the money was true - I remember when it happened and I read that part in the Sentinel, Sadly, it wasn't even the first time this creep had done something like that!
How much of the property is actually buildable? There were areas that frequently flooded and I thought there were issues with the setbacks from the streams and water basin areas...
I heard that the first design allowed for a lot more houses, making the property more valuable for developers - but because of zoning changes regarding setbacks from streams, there were a lot less buildable plots...
I would like to see it developed in a way that protected the natural beauty of the area, and there is a lot of wildlife out there, too.
Gerald Johnson

Rome, GA

#6 Jan 31, 2008
Well I can personally confirm the part about Jessie Tuggle being an investor in the property. He told me himself about 5 years ago when I spoke to him after visiting his church in his hometown of Griffin (his wife and mine happened to be old school buddies - and I was fortunate enough to be introduced to him). VERY down to earth dude - just wouldn't want to get on his bad side ;)

It's almost heartbreaking to me to see what's happened here - to see so MANY high end homes abandoned and literally unsellable. The cul-de-sac on the left of the main entrance has every single home abandoned.

With it being such a buyers market, and as much as I love my hometown I would love to buy a house in that development - even with the number of empties. But I don't want to get involved in any community with a history like that.

GJ

Since: Jan 08

Douglasville, GA

#7 Feb 1, 2008
Gerald Johnson wrote:
Well I can personally confirm the part about Jessie Tuggle being an investor in the property. He told me himself about 5 years ago when I spoke to him after visiting his church in his hometown of Griffin (his wife and mine happened to be old school buddies - and I was fortunate enough to be introduced to him). VERY down to earth dude - just wouldn't want to get on his bad side ;)
It's almost heartbreaking to me to see what's happened here - to see so MANY high end homes abandoned and literally unsellable. The cul-de-sac on the left of the main entrance has every single home abandoned.
With it being such a buyers market, and as much as I love my hometown I would love to buy a house in that development - even with the number of empties. But I don't want to get involved in any community with a history like that.
GJ
Jessie Tuggle lost out in that deal for sure, I can't remember the guy's name that took off with the money, but I know a lot of it was his-and, of course, he put his name on the project and then to have it tank, I am sure it was disappointing.

Yesterday, I was driving down Reynolds road (off Stewart Mill) and they are building more houses there. It seems crazy to me to keep building when there are so many nice homes empty.
Lewis Holt

Phenix City, AL

#8 Jul 22, 2008
Bear Creek is what it is; if you want a home that would cost you $550,000 to build for $350,000 to $390,000 and you don't care if anyone else lives there or not then Bear Creek is for you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Douglasville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How did you all make it through the snow day? 13 hr Jacksonv 6
Jennifer Knight for superior court judge (May '10) 23 hr Edward 377
Tom Worthan's Douglas County Sat POLEMICS 12
Douglasville is the new Atlanta Getto. Thu Justin 3
Baseball at Winston Park (May '13) Jan 18 Atlbravesgirlie 19
Commissioner Kelly Robinson fails in BUSINESS (Jul '12) Jan 16 FAUXRESUME 6
News Curb, gutter on deck for Dallas Highway Jan 15 what 3

Douglasville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance