Loud boom heard last night all over D...

Loud boom heard last night all over Douglas County

Posted in the Douglasville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Feb 08

Douglasville, Georgia

#1 Feb 22, 2008
At some point before 11 last night there was a loud boom. I logged onto scanDouglas. Almost immediately I heard the dispatchers talking to the deputies regarding calls that were coming in re: the boom.

A car was dispatched to W. Chapel Hill Road. The person making the call reported a loud sound and the dispatcher reminded the deputy that there was a pipeline in the area. The dispatcher also said they had a call from residences along 166.

A few min. later the dispatcher said calls were coming in from all over the county including my area (Lee Road/Lithia Springs), downtown Dville, and Carroll County was receiving calls as well.

I listened until 11:20-11:25 p.m. but never heard anything more about it.

Does anyone know what caused the boom?
Boom Buster

United States

#2 Feb 22, 2008
elementaryhistoryteacher wrote:
At some point before 11 last night there was a loud boom. I logged onto scanDouglas. Almost immediately I heard the dispatchers talking to the deputies regarding calls that were coming in re: the boom.
A car was dispatched to W. Chapel Hill Road. The person making the call reported a loud sound and the dispatcher reminded the deputy that there was a pipeline in the area. The dispatcher also said they had a call from residences along 166.
A few min. later the dispatcher said calls were coming in from all over the county including my area (Lee Road/Lithia Springs), downtown Dville, and Carroll County was receiving calls as well.
Storms and they call the sound... T h u n d e r
Graveflower

United States

#3 Feb 22, 2008
Boom Buster wrote:
<quoted text> Storms and they call the sound... T h u n d e r
i guess since the drought we have rediscover thunderstorms.....good response it made me laugh!!
Simple Question

Suwanee, GA

#4 Feb 22, 2008
Boom Buster wrote:
<quoted text> Storms and they call the sound... T h u n d e r
Great response Boom Buster! I got a good laugh too!

Did a teacher really ask about this "boom"?

Douglasville, Georgia

#5 Feb 22, 2008
Simple Question wrote:
<quoted text> Great response Boom Buster! I got a good laugh too!
Did a teacher really ask about this "boom"?
Yep, a teacher really did ask the question, and so did the many people who called in to 911 last night.

I don't remember any thunder last night, and the sound many reported hearing was a single boom. I live near the quarry and I-20 so I've heard dynamite, and I've heard car explosions when there have been wrecks on the highway. This was much more intense than that, and it was not a rolling sound often associated with thunder.

I heard thunder Sunday, but not last night. It was something else. My husband described it as a shockwave type of noise.

Thanks for the chuckle regarding the possibility of thunder and the convenient moniker, Boom Buster. Seems a comedian is always in the back of the classroom. Comedians make my day a much saner place to be, and I appreciate logical answers.

I'm just not so ready to accept a logical answer regarding the sound because of the circumstances.
DD Douglas

Atlanta, GA

#6 Feb 22, 2008
That wasn't Thunder / there was no lightning flash and we felt a shockwave on the house
Hedge

United States

#7 Feb 22, 2008
I was sound asleep.
Graveflower

Atlanta, GA

#9 Feb 24, 2008
any updates on the sonic boom....

Douglasville, Georgia

#10 Feb 24, 2008
I haven't had any yet, Graveflower. The contacts I know with the sheriff's dept. and the fire dept. haven't gotten back to me yet.

My daughter said there were several kids talking about the sound at school on Friday, so I guess DD Douglas and I aren't the only ones that heard it, but it's still a mystery.
Who cares

Douglasville, GA

#11 Feb 27, 2008
I farted. Sorry.
Graveflower

Atlanta, GA

#12 Feb 27, 2008
very original.....jackass

Douglasville, Georgia

#13 Feb 27, 2008
I heartily agree, Graveflower.

Finally, I have an answer. Well, I came up with 13 of them, but some are more plausible than others. Also, a group has finally stepped forward to take credit for the noise that many people heard….not just folks in Douglas County. You can find all the info here:

http://historyiselementary.blogspot.com/2008/...
Blogzilla

Marietta, GA

#14 Feb 27, 2008
That was actually a Pulse Detonation Wave Engine or PDWE during a nighttime test flight so that you would not be able to see the unusual signature jetstream that looks like donuts on a rope.
Blogzilla

Marietta, GA

#15 Feb 27, 2008
PS - Its top secret so lets just keep it here ok.

Since: Jul 07

Douglasville

#16 Feb 27, 2008
don't say that we'll have another conspiracy going on soon - you know the aliens coming to get us and all!
Blogzilla

Marietta, GA

#17 Feb 27, 2008
Mugsy wrote:
don't say that we'll have another conspiracy going on soon - you know the aliens coming to get us and all!
lol, I'm sure of it!

“Unions are still scum ”

Since: Dec 07

Atlanta

#18 Feb 27, 2008
I heartily agree, Graveflower.
Finally, I have an answer. Well, I came up with 13 of them, but some are more plausible than others. Also, a group has finally stepped forward to take credit for the noise that many people heard….not just folks in Douglas County. You can find all the info here:
http://historyiselementary.blogspot.com/2008/...
I think Darth Cheney may have been trying to vaporize Prays Mill with his new beam weapon.

Douglasville, Georgia

#19 Feb 27, 2008
While the PDWE is a black book type project I think I'd hold off on the conspiracy theories since they've stepped forward to say what they were doing.

Although....they came forward at Roswell,NM and "fessed up" as well.

The testing facility didn't say it was a PDWE, but they made it clear a flight was not involved (so they say), but they did admit to testing an engine in a pre-fabricated oven of all things.

It does make you wonder what all goes on there.

Cue the X-files music....
blogzilla

Dayton, OH

#20 Feb 28, 2008
MSO4 wrote:
<quoted text>I think Darth Cheney may have been trying to vaporize Prays Mill with his new beam weapon.
This is our best answer yet MS04!
dcbond

Marietta, GA

#21 Feb 29, 2008
blogzilla wrote:
<quoted text>This is our best answer yet MS04!
same person same fool
Take your meds

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Douglasville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Robinson, Miller qualify to challenge Persons f... 7 hr def 1
Chris Wynn the lawyer Tue anon 2
Villa Rica police (Apr '13) Tue lol 18
Local Politics Do you approve of Harvey Persons as Mayor? (Nov '14) Aug 31 janice 6
Dr. Pritz and his 10.8% Aug 29 Elmer 9
Relecting Persons guarantees another employee e... Aug 29 lol 5
Bill Wininger on tv commercial Aug 29 time to pray 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Douglasville Mortgages