Gun Safety - Attention "Mr America"

Posted in the Douglasville Forum

Kindred Spirit

Douglasville, GA

#1 Jan 22, 2010
Hey, I kind of swiped this from the Haitian topic, since it seemed like I was getting way off topic here.

Kudos to you for having a gun safe. I've gone around and around with this with my in-laws. They just have a problem when I ask them to put the guns up when the grandkids come around. They're sitting here and there, on the table, in a drawer, loaded and ready to fire.

I'm not anti-gun, just anti-stupid. They are convinced I'm anti-gun and just a pansy. I'm actually a pretty good shot. Getting my license and purchasing a gun is high on my list. Perhaps a Mother's Day present for me! Guess I need to go target practice with them and show them just what a bad-ass this ole chick can be! I used to be such a good shot that my friends thought I was a cop! I need practice, though.

Thanksgiving at my in-laws: My in-laws decided to show off their guns, cartridges in and out, bullets in and out, passing the guns back and forth, loaded, not loaded, couldn't really tell at one point, pointing them at the kids, my husband, their own forehead, everybody in the room. They got defensive when I took my kids outside. Now, I ask, is this cool? No alcohol involed, thankfully.

I would respect your opinion on this, as you obviously are pro-gun.

Since: Aug 09

Statham, GA

#2 Jan 23, 2010
You are absolutely correct in removing your children. From what you wrote, they are breaking some of the basic firearm rules. 1 never point any firearm at anything you do not intend to shoot. 2. whenever a firearm is transferred from one individual to another it should be unloaded and the chamber checked by both people. 3. Firearms must be in the Control of the owner when in the and not just lying around. These people are probably quite confident in the way they handle firearms, but wrong. I doubt that you will be able to convince them otherwise. People die from the way they handle firearms. Don't ever put yourself or your children in that situation. Sorry, but there should be no tolerance in this.
Midnight Rider

Douglasville, GA

#3 Jan 26, 2010
Kindred Spirit wrote:
Hey, I kind of swiped this from the Haitian topic, since it seemed like I was getting way off topic here.
Kudos to you for having a gun safe. I've gone around and around with this with my in-laws. They just have a problem when I ask them to put the guns up when the grandkids come around. They're sitting here and there, on the table, in a drawer, loaded and ready to fire.
I'm not anti-gun, just anti-stupid. They are convinced I'm anti-gun and just a pansy. I'm actually a pretty good shot. Getting my license and purchasing a gun is high on my list. Perhaps a Mother's Day present for me! Guess I need to go target practice with them and show them just what a bad-ass this ole chick can be! I used to be such a good shot that my friends thought I was a cop! I need practice, though.
Thanksgiving at my in-laws: My in-laws decided to show off their guns, cartridges in and out, bullets in and out, passing the guns back and forth, loaded, not loaded, couldn't really tell at one point, pointing them at the kids, my husband, their own forehead, everybody in the room. They got defensive when I took my kids outside. Now, I ask, is this cool? No alcohol involed, thankfully.
I am very very very Pro-gun!
But what your inlaws are doing is VERY stupid. It is always the unloaded gun that accidently shoots someone. Every gun whether it is unloaded or not must be treated like it is unloaded. Never ever ever ever point a firearm at something you do not intend to shoot. Never ever ever ever put your finger on the trigger unless you intend to shoot the firearm.
Your inlaws are stupid. And you can tell them I said so. What if they had accidently shot themselves or someone else? I have no problem with passing around firearms so that people that are curious can look it them. There is a right way and wrong way to do it. In fact my six year old knows that if he wants to see one of Daddy's guns all he has to do is ask. They are are unloaded and triple checked to confirm this. He is under my supervision while he sits in my lap. I use these times to talk to him about the rules of gun safety, what firearms can do (good and bad) what to do if he goes over to someones house and they start playing with a gun or if he see one laying around, etc. That way the mystery is taken out of them and I don't have to worry as much about him when it comes to firearms.
FYI: You do not need a license to buy a firearm in the state of Ga. You will have to through a background check but I'm sure everything will come back fine. If you plan to carry the firearm concealed on you, you will need a Georgia Firearms License. These are obtained at the probate court. You will also have to be fingerprinted at the Sheriff's dept. and go through an extensive background check both by the state and the Federal govt. It can take up to three month to receive the GFL once you pass all of the background checks.
Just like buying a car, don't skimp on the quality of the firearm. Cheap is not necessarily good. For a first time gun owner a Smith and Wesson revolver chambered in .38 Special is a great choice. If you are dead set on getting a semi auto pistol then Glock, Smith and Wesson, Sig Sauer, Springfield, and Beretta all make quality firearms. Most importantly I urge you to get training from someone professionally qualified to do so. The Sheriffs dept. offers a free class for women. That would be a great start. Also you can look around online and find plenty of great instructors that teach classes in this area.
The 2nd amendment is not about hunting. The 2nd amendment is about the God given right to defend yourself from those that wish to do and/or your family harm. There is a reason that it is #2 on the list behind free speech.

“AAAAAHH. That's better. ”

Since: Nov 07

"Where the neons turn to wood"

#4 Jan 26, 2010
Kindred Spirit wrote:
Right on Baby Girl. Safety first. kids in the house? lockum up. Let them know it's lock up the guns or no Grand kids. And stick to your guns. so to say.

Since: Jul 07

Douglasville

#5 Jan 26, 2010
I not only would have taken my children outside I would have loaded them up in the car and taken them home. With the explaination that when you learn proper hand gun rules I will be back, but not until then. It's not cute it's dangerous what these people did and my children would not be back until I knew those guns where under lock and key!
Kindred Spirit

Douglasville, GA

#6 Jan 26, 2010
I hear ya, mugs! I should have, except we were 300 miles from home. I should have still, though. Just didn't want to make waves with the in-laws. We've been over and over this before. I was the only one with the balls to say something. Everybody else was just looking around waiting for somebody to say something. I guess they were trying to impress us. I was not impressed. I told them how I am NOT anti-gun but, of course, they wouldn't listen. We've had issues with this in the past. Their excuse is that it's not loaded. Duh! That's the first thing anyone says when someone is accidentally shot.

For all you respectful, trained, intelligent gun owners out there - these are the type of pro-gun idiots that give gun owners a bad rap.

They are just idiots, plain and simple. Thanks for the support, guys! I don't know many gunowners personally except these jerk-offs, so I was really wondering if it was just me being paranoid or if they truly are irresponsible.

We bought grandma a lockbox but she was offended. Go figure!
Mugsy wrote:
I not only would have taken my children outside I would have loaded them up in the car and taken them home. With the explaination that when you learn proper hand gun rules I will be back, but not until then. It's not cute it's dangerous what these people did and my children would not be back until I knew those guns where under lock and key!

Since: Jun 07

D'ville, GA

#7 Jan 26, 2010
Gun safety has nothing to do with someone being pro or con guns. Unsafe handling of a firearm will kill you just the same no matter what your gun view is.

Two Thanksgivings ago we had the very same thing happen where two avid gun handlers were showing each other their handguns just as I was carving the turkey. There is still a hole in the soffit of the house where the pistol discharged....
Anon me

Powder Springs, GA

#8 Jan 27, 2010
I'm a gun nut. Never go anywhere without one...LOADED! But, your inlaws obviously know nothing of gun safety. They broke all the rules. You're right to have gone outside.
Kindred Spirit

Douglasville, GA

#9 Jan 28, 2010
Oh my gosh, spitfire, that's terrible! Definitely a Thanksgiving to remember (or forget)! My guess is somebody had to change their pants after that! Bless your heart. Thank you for proving my point, though. Glad everyone was okay. Geesh.
spitfire2 wrote:
Gun safety has nothing to do with someone being pro or con guns. Unsafe handling of a firearm will kill you just the same no matter what your gun view is.
Two Thanksgivings ago we had the very same thing happen where two avid gun handlers were showing each other their handguns just as I was carving the turkey. There is still a hole in the soffit of the house where the pistol discharged....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Douglasville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Frank Benji Hughes (May '14) 34 min Frank B Hughes 5
Need Replacement Windows (Jan '13) 6 hr Pat Patterson 18
Police cars on Pressley Mill Mon Elmer 5
Wreck off of Capps Ferry Rd this morning. 2-23-15 Mon Tin pan 14
No Married Men! Mon nah 6
Gas stations that sell kerosene? (Dec '09) Mar 1 carole 17
How come we didn't get no sno Feb 28 Equality 5

Douglasville News Video

Douglasville Dating
Find my Match