Comments
21 - 40 of 88 Comments Last updated Nov 7, 2010
patience1

Douglasville, GA

#21 Nov 26, 2007
barbara wrote:
I have never heard of a child in the public schools being kicked out due to adhd. I thought everyone is entitled a free education by law. I've never heard that if a child has a learning issue that they could be denied going to a public school.This really concerns me.

OH MY GOD! YOU must be a product of government schools yourself! "entitled"?? and it is FAR from free! I pray you don't vote!

“AAAAAHH. That's better. ”

Since: Nov 07

"Where the neons turn to wood"

#22 Nov 26, 2007
barbara wrote:
I have never heard of a child in the public schools being kicked out due to adhd. I thought everyone is entitled a free education by law. I've never heard that if a child has a learning issue that they could be denied going to a public school.This really concerns me.
It happens all the time. I had it happen to 1 of my family members in Dekalb. And this was 10 yrs ago. Public schools have become a shame.
Student with Perspective

Douglasville, GA

#24 Dec 8, 2007
I go to Douglas County High School. In the time i've been there, there has only been one arrest and that was for disrupting the SATs and running from the school's police officer. There have been no major fights and i love the school. I have heard that there are more gang issues at Chapel Hill that anywhere else this year. Also a friend of mine has a parent on the school board and in order of problematic schools in our County it goes:Lithia Springs, Chapel Hill, Douglas County, and Alexander.
Before you right me off as some stupid kid, take into account that i am an all "A" student in the IB program (special advanced program that gives college credit and is only at Douglas County) i know what i am talking about
Ham Bone

Newnan, GA

#25 Dec 8, 2007
melissa alford wrote:
I'm a parent of a teenage that has been diagnosed with adhd/bipolar and the douglas county school system has denied him of free education for 2 yrs. He is in Turner Middle School and they are trying to kick him out like a criminal and send him to crossroads in stead of helping me find a theraputic school so he can get help instead of getting exposed to gangs, guns , & drugs that are in that school(crossroads). I know there are other kids that went to Turner's has got kicked out that probaly been diagnosed with some kind of mental illness. Please can you help me start a group for parents that has kids that have been diagnosed with either bipolar or adhd that has been sent to alternative school from douglas county. My e-mail address is vontamotorsports2@yahoo.com 5/17/07
Your ADHD kid is the reason my kid can't learn anything at school.
tick

United States

#26 Dec 8, 2007
Ditto

#27 Dec 8, 2007
Ham Bone wrote:
<quoted text>
Your ADHD kid is the reason my kid can't learn anything at school.
BS
Ham Bone

Newnan, GA

#29 Dec 8, 2007
Really smart "BS" comment. You are a talented pile of crap. I see you say you were from somewhere other than the US of A. Move your happy ass on back to where you came from. Seems a lot of people are out to see just what they can get from society. Hell that is the problem everybody has rights except for the "normal" person trying to live a decent life and get by in this world. The schools are there to teach not raise peoples kids. If people would take care of their own problems then the schools could do their part.

#30 Dec 8, 2007
More BS

#31 Dec 8, 2007
Ham Bone wrote:
Really smart "BS" comment. You are a talented pile of crap. I see you say you were from somewhere other than the US of A. Move your happy ass on back to where you came from. Seems a lot of people are out to see just what they can get from society. Hell that is the problem everybody has rights except for the "normal" person trying to live a decent life and get by in this world. The schools are there to teach not raise peoples kids. If people would take care of their own problems then the schools could do their part.
BTW you might want to check you facts. It's pretty evident where your child/children's problems in school derived from.
Wedge 2 Reflux

Lovejoy, GA

#32 Dec 9, 2007
I am now the new and improved Wedge 2 Reflux, formally know as Wedge 1 Redux. I have changed to "reflux" because when I post you will have to heave.

My Butt Stinks.

Cheers you piss-ants
Bremen Alum

Richmond, VA

#33 Dec 9, 2007
Wedge 2 Reflux wrote:
I am now the new and improved Wedge 2 Reflux, formally know as Wedge 1 Redux. I have changed to "reflux" because when I post you will have to heave.
My Butt Stinks.
Cheers you piss-ants
Nothing but a copy and paste hack.
x dville x

Douglasville, GA

#35 Dec 10, 2007
Student with Perspective wrote:
I go to Douglas County High School. In the time i've been there, there has only been one arrest and that was for disrupting the SATs and running from the school's police officer. There have been no major fights and i love the school. I have heard that there are more gang issues at Chapel Hill that anywhere else this year. Also a friend of mine has a parent on the school board and in order of problematic schools in our County it goes:Lithia Springs, Chapel Hill, Douglas County, and Alexander.
Before you right me off as some stupid kid, take into account that i am an all "A" student in the IB program (special advanced program that gives college credit and is only at Douglas County) i know what i am talking about
Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it didn't happen - at the beginning of the school year there were fights most mornings - I listen to the scanner, and even though there is a resource officer on campus, the cops are called there on occasion as well.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of DCHS - why? Cause they are trying to get all to graduate. They go above and beyond to get their students - at risk students - to graduate. I believe they see or try to find the value in every student.

They try to get parents involved. THey have open houses, parent teacher conferences - grades available on line, etc. They realize not all the parents can come in during school hours - so they stop trying to get the parents to be involved on their terms - and reach out to meet parents in a reasonable way, after normal hours, online etc.

They are trying to make their school better - by offering the IB program to attract the best students in the county. By having the IB program, they have peer examples on site of what can be achieved. Plus, it will increase their graduation rate.

Schools say they can't reach new standards each year to meet AYP - DCHS went "outside the box" to find ways to meet AYP - like the IB program.

It seems other high schools in our area are blind to problems in their schools.(gangs, drugs, etc) DCHS is staring those problems straight in the eye and working to resolve them.

I hope our other high schools will follow their example and take a more proactive stance - instead of pretending everything is peachy keen.
Saving Dville

Norcross, GA

#36 Dec 13, 2007
Word to the wise...

I doubt many of the ignorant gang bangers read about local news on Topix. They should be aware that we notice them walking in the street on Campbellton when there is a sidewalk and we call the police. We see them parking their getto cars on the street on Adair and we call the police. I NEVER see someone white walking down the middle of Campbellton. I NEVER see someone white parking their car in the middle of the street on Adair. I RARELY hear someone white with their base music shaking my house and when I do its because they are trying to emulate the getto blacks. We create a permissive atmosphere for behavior that is outside the community's norms and that environment encourages and fuels crime and gang activity. So, regarding a "gang shooting in downtown douglasville", I want all of those getto losers to know that your life means nothing to us. Protecting the peace and tranquility of our beautiful community and safety of our friends and neighbors means EVERYTHING. 95% of us are armed. We will shoot your ass if you screw with downtown Douglasville. Pick some other helpless neighborhood where people don't communicate and watch out for one another's property and person. Downtown is united. We communicate with one another. You will lose and I don't mean get caught and go to jail. I mean we will shoot you dead when we find you breaking into our homes or harming our citizens. Just a word to the wise. We're sick and tired of it and we're taking back our town. Go someplace else.

#37 Dec 13, 2007
Feel better now that you got that of your chest. You should. The time has come. Enough is Enough!
Saving Dville

Norcross, GA

#39 Dec 14, 2007
Thanks BTs. I think if word got out how crazy those people are in Douglasville- many carry guns and won't hesitate to shoot you, they'd go back to their own hoods to commit crimes. We're allowing outselves to be victims and not being aggressive enough at doing something about it.

#40 Dec 14, 2007
Saving Dville wrote:
Thanks BTs. I think if word got out how crazy those people are in Douglasville- many carry guns and won't hesitate to shoot you, they'd go back to their own hoods to commit crimes. We're allowing outselves to be victims and not being aggressive enough at doing something about it.
Your welcome. I'm a firm believer in self reliance. I'm not crazy but have no qualms about dumping a clip into a scumbag(black.white,yellow, red whoever) attempting to rob my home or assault me or my family. I hope it never happens but if it does so be it. I refuse to be an easy target for crime. Home defense = Alarm sys-Dog(Half Akita/pitbull mix- Sig 226 9mm (17+1 rds FED HSTs) with nite sights and crimson trace laser grips. I have other thats just my Favorite. Wife carries a 228 w/nite sights. Boy Scouts motto "Be prepared". But gun ownership is not to be taken lightly. Keep it legit, know the laws, Safety, and go to the range and practice, practice, Practice.
MCDUFFIE

Morrisville, NC

#41 Dec 14, 2007
If they started letting the kids have sex at school there would be a lot less violence. Nothin like a quickie in front of the class to releive the tention.
egdew

AOL

#42 Dec 14, 2007
MCDUFFIE wrote:
If they started letting the kids have sex at school there would be a lot less violence. Nothin like a quickie in front of the class to releive the tention.
So how do you know this? Have you had a "quickie" in front of the class? Oh I understand your a teacher.

#43 Dec 14, 2007
egdew wrote:
<quoted text>So how do you know this? Have you had a "quickie" in front of the class? Oh I understand your a teacher.
Bet he has builtin kneepads and carries a bottle of mouthwash.
stay golden

Dallas, GA

#44 Jun 20, 2008
i'm also in the ib program at douglas county high school and the main thing the students there need to realize is that they're not in kindergarden anymore. most of them walk the halls completely crazy with no regard to the other students. it's terrible. that's the reason people label the school the way they do. not because of "excessive fights" or guns. this is also the reason parents are terrified of enrolling their kids.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Douglasville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Collaborative Health Training Exercise Planned ... 3 hr Raymond 1
Debate: Ferguson - Douglasville, GA 3 hr Raymond 25
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 5 hr Synergy 53,257
$39M Foxhall Conference Center 11 hr DC Taxpayer 16
King's Way Baptist Church (Oct '13) 16 hr XTC 1,266
Marty Massey Towing & Recovery Question ?? Thu Satisfied with Ma... 8
GA Who do you support for Attorney General in Geor... (Oct '10) Thu Pfffft 185
•••

Douglasville News Video

•••
•••

Douglasville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••