What's wrong with the Republicans?
Linda

Cumming, GA

#25 Jul 24, 2011
Hey other Bill - good to have you on board. The GOP refuses to cut tax breaks for private jets, refuses to cut tax breaks on corporations and corporate agriculture. It is interesting to note that hedge fund CEOs who pay themselves billions of $$$ pay a tax rate of 15%. Wouldn't it be nice if we middle class tax payers (we are talking about most of the people in Douglas County)got a tax break like that. The GOP seems to think that the only ones who have to actually confront the deficit are those on Social Security and Medicare and the middle class.
Linda

Cumming, GA

#26 Jul 24, 2011
Additionally - it has been interesting hearing the GOP vilify "government workers" --law enforcement, firefighters, teachers and demand that they take pay cuts, benefit cuts, lay offs --but have you seen the first suggestion from any of them that they cut their own pay or their own very cushy benefits? Instead we get people like Sean Durffy whining and sympathizing with LAID OFF workers because he personally is + GREAT BENEFITS. The Congress critters are so out of touch with reality it would be laughable if we didn't have to live with their crappy decisions.
Linda

Cumming, GA

#28 Jul 24, 2011
OKAY --so I hit the delete button at the wrong tme. Sean Duffy is whining and sympathizing with LAID OFF workers because he personally is having trouble making ends meet on his $180,000 salary + expense account + GREAT BENEFITS.

There - that is what it was supposed to say.

Since: Aug 09

Villa Rica

#29 Jul 24, 2011
Linda wrote:
Additionally - it has been interesting hearing the GOP vilify "government workers" --law enforcement, firefighters, teachers and demand that they take pay cuts, benefit cuts, lay offs --but have you seen the first suggestion from any of them that they cut their own pay or their own very cushy benefits? Instead we get people like Sean Durffy whining and sympathizing with LAID OFF workers because he personally is + GREAT BENEFITS. The Congress critters are so out of touch with reality it would be laughable if we didn't have to live with their crappy decisions.
It was the Stimulus Bill that gave people tax breaks on private jets. If you want to whine about that, whine to the man himself, because it was the $842 billion dollar monstrosity that's responsible for that. Have you seen a suggestion from a Democrat to cut Congressional pay or benefits? No, so take that argument and stick it.
Bill - the other one

Douglasville, GA

#30 Jul 24, 2011
Congressional pay? Really?

That is so much less than even a drop in the bucket. The Republicans would be happy to work for absolutely no money. Why? Because they get paid very well to be the errand boys of corporate interests, defense contractors, insurance interests, and medical lobbyist.

Republicans RIGHT NOW are having this conversation: Old sick people? Workers? Middle Class? Screw them! They still have a couple of dollars left, let them pay for the problems we've created. OUR MONEY? Hands off. Let the old sick people work it out for themselves. I need quarterly earnings.

Don't go for the cheap bait..the silly diversions they keep throwing out..keep your eye one the ball..the money in this case. In their minds, money should only flow to the rich, coming from the middle class. No money should come from the upper tier. That's how we the people ended up paying off their losses just a few short years ago.

Money...
Get Back. Keep your hands off of my stack.

Bill - the other one

Douglasville, GA

#31 Jul 24, 2011
Here's a quote from a CNN article published just a few minutes ago discussing the gridlock:

"Republicans, who have railed against the growth of government, remain staunchly opposed to any tax increases. Democrats are trying to protect some of their party's primary legacies -- entitlements such as Social Security and Medicare....."

Now let's be clear about what's going on.
The Republicans don't really care if taxes get raised, they only care if taxes get raised on the wealthy. The Democrats want to protect a few things that are in place right now, such as taking care of the sick and elderly.

That's what's going on. The Republicans won't give an inch towards tax increases on the rich, and they don't care if the country falls apart or if we as a society have to let the old and sick die in the streets of our towns.

Again I ask, what's wrong with the Republicans? Has pure greed replaced every human instinct they have and blinded them towards compassion and common sense?

America is getting sick of Tax breaks for the rich, trickle down economics (that never happen), back-room deals, corporate lobbyists, trillion-dollar bailouts when Wall Streets house of cards falls downs, subsidies to the oil industry while they're earning record profits.

All while the American workers get harvested like a field of beans.

Well, the top 1% bracket, the richest of the rich, control 42% of the money in America. They have the majority of the dollars. Mostly they are getting those dollars by skimming it off the backs of the people who actually do something. However, the other 99% of the country has 99% of the votes. Which is why these top wealth holders are putting so much money into supporting candidates, primarily the Republican party, to preserve their wealth and interests.

Then they throw out diversion issues to keep some support...mostly racial things, immigration, welfare..things that people will latch onto, even though they are a drop in the bucket..while the loot America of resources, INCLUDING the middle-classes hard work.

Privatized profits with socialized losses? How in the world do we put up with this crap? Now, after we've bailed them out, they want us to throw the old and sick up on the auction block, rather than ask them to pay a nickel more.

Way to go Republicans. Way to go America for letting our society come down to this.
Bill - the other one

Douglasville, GA

#32 Jul 24, 2011
And Saxby Chamblis and Johnny Isakson are in the thick of all this.

"No tax increases. Take it all from Social Security and Medicaid. Not a nickel from us."

Georgians are the ones who elected these corporate mouthpiece monsters, and working class Georgians are the ones who will pay for it.

Elections have consequences indeed.

Since: Aug 09

Villa Rica

#33 Jul 24, 2011
Actually, Chamblis is one if the Gang of Six whose proposal includes billions in tax increases, so that's another failed liberal argument. You should like Chamblis, he's one of you disguised as a Republican. Secondly, the government doesn't have a revenue problem, it has a spending problem. That problem has only gotten worse since 2006 when the Dems took control of Congress. There is no need to raise tax rates on anyone if we just stopped spending money we don't have. A good place to start would be any unused Stimulus failure money.$842 billion would make one heck of an interest payment, too bad most of it was spent on road signs to stroke Mr. Obama's massive ego. Liberals are gonna go to the grave with this idea that you can spend your way out of debt. Please don't give me the lame "we saved or created x amount of jobs..." garbage either, at last check we were up to about $500 million per job created or "saved" whatever that means. Just because the media props up every liberal idea that come down the pike doesn't mean that normal people don't see what's actually going on.
Bill - the other one

Douglasville, GA

#34 Jul 24, 2011
That's funny.. Chambliss would probably choke if he heard you call him a democrat in disguise.

You've got some pretty decent points mixed in with your anti-obama sentiments.

There's no question that the government spends money on a lot of stupid stuff, and that it has to stop. I'll be the first to agree with that. There are things that are necessary, and things that are not. We've spent a LOT of money in Iraq and Afghanistan, and I think the largest benefit we've gotten out if it is making a lot of defense contractors rolling in summer homes in the Hamptons. Sure, I know there's more to that story, but I guarantee you that most of the reasons were about money that got agreed to in back-room deals. A huge amount of money is literally stolen through false medicaid and disability claims. Pork-barrel projects are often just throwing taxpayer dollars away. Subsidizations and a lot of foreign aid is just setting money on fire. I agree..we've got to cut back on our spending. But we need to do it in the right places.

The stimulus act was unfortunately a necessary evil required to keep America floating after the big Wall Street looting. It had to be done. Unfortunately, it was too big, and spent in a lot of really poor ways, and it was poorly managed.

It is time to let a lot of tax breaks and loopholes expire. I'd much rather see that than happen before we give up taking care of our own.
Bill - the other one

Douglasville, GA

#36 Jul 24, 2011
local tax payer wrote:
<quoted text>
you need to get off welfare and food stamps and get a job one of these wealthy people has created.Have you ever gotton a job from a BROKE PERSON?
You're so far out of your element when it comes to understanding what the grown-ups are talking about. Don't even try..you can't keep up.

Since: Aug 09

Villa Rica

#37 Jul 24, 2011
Bill - the other one wrote:
That's funny.. Chambliss would probably choke if he heard you call him a democrat in disguise.
You've got some pretty decent points mixed in with your anti-obama sentiments.
There's no question that the government spends money on a lot of stupid stuff, and that it has to stop. I'll be the first to agree with that. There are things that are necessary, and things that are not. We've spent a LOT of money in Iraq and Afghanistan, and I think the largest benefit we've gotten out if it is making a lot of defense contractors rolling in summer homes in the Hamptons. Sure, I know there's more to that story, but I guarantee you that most of the reasons were about money that got agreed to in back-room deals. A huge amount of money is literally stolen through false medicaid and disability claims. Pork-barrel projects are often just throwing taxpayer dollars away. Subsidizations and a lot of foreign aid is just setting money on fire. I agree..we've got to cut back on our spending. But we need to do it in the right places.
The stimulus act was unfortunately a necessary evil required to keep America floating after the big Wall Street looting. It had to be done. Unfortunately, it was too big, and spent in a lot of really poor ways, and it was poorly managed.
It is time to let a lot of tax breaks and loopholes expire. I'd much rather see that than happen before we give up taking care of our own.
I'd like to see the tax code simplified as well, when complex computer software is required, its too complicated. Simplify it, make sure everyone pays something, then we can talk about who should pay what rate. We could br completely out of Iraq and Afghanistan if we'd fought those wars correctly, but we haven't done that for several decades so that's really a moot point. Saxby can choke on a chicken bone for all I care, he's a RINO through and through, unfortunately I didn't move here in time to vote in his last reelection bid. I don't like Obama personally or politically, I'll admit that freely. I didnt like McCain either, but I voted so that I could have the right to complain, as the saying goes. I don't think every Republican idea is the stuff it geniuses, but at the end of the day I don't buy into anything the Dems come up with, so I have to swallow my tongue and hope the RINOs tick enough people off that the party keeps moving towards common sense conservatism.

“Liberals are closet raaacists!”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#38 Jul 24, 2011
TGVR, I love to read your posts. You and I are definitely on the same page politically.
Chambliss is a closet liberal. I would love to see Herman Cain run against him for the Senate.
Bill - the other one

Douglasville, GA

#39 Jul 24, 2011
Right now Boehner and the Republicans plan is to pass a "my way or the highway" bill in Congress where it will have to fail in the Senate.

Then they can say "The Democrats let America falter."

This is simple political gambling with everyone in America's future.

They couldn't be any more irresponsible.

Do you guys get just how dangerous this game is and what's at stake? The Republican congress is playing with our lives like a 5-year old playing with a loaded gun.

Boehner really is playing with fire at our expense tonight. The Republicans really should be ashamed of themselves. We clearly see the game their playing, and it is simply a dereliction of duty.

At this point every citizen in the country should be furious with them, Republican OR Democrat..or just plain good-ol' boy trying to get by..

Since: Aug 09

Villa Rica

#40 Jul 24, 2011
Bill - the other one wrote:
Right now Boehner and the Republicans plan is to pass a "my way or the highway" bill in Congress where it will have to fail in the Senate.
Then they can say "The Democrats let America falter."
This is simple political gambling with everyone in America's future.
They couldn't be any more irresponsible.
Do you guys get just how dangerous this game is and what's at stake? The Republican congress is playing with our lives like a 5-year old playing with a loaded gun.
Boehner really is playing with fire at our expense tonight. The Republicans really should be ashamed of themselves. We clearly see the game their playing, and it is simply a dereliction of duty.
At this point every citizen in the country should be furious with them, Republican OR Democrat..or just plain good-ol' boy trying to get by..
They've had deals in place a couple of times, and the Dems have always come back and said "more taxes." That's not going to fly with this Congress. We can solve this problem without increasing anyone's taxes. You keep saying Republicans SW playing games, well so are the Dems. They're trying to score cheap political points with the government dependent portion of their electorate by demonizing "rich people" which, by the way, they all happen to be. If Dems are so set on higher taxes for "rich people", then they should be sending the government checks that exceed their tax liability. There's no law that says you can't pay more than what you owe. They can grandstand about raising taxes on "the rich" when they put their money where their mouth is.
Bill - the other one

Douglasville, GA

#41 Jul 24, 2011
TGVR wrote:
<quoted text>
They've had deals in place a couple of times, and the Dems have always come back and said "more taxes."
And the Republicans only real goal is to insure the wealthy don't pay a fraction of the taxes that they owed as recently as 1980. And they don't care who or what gets run over in the process to protect the uber-wealthy.

As we can see, they're willing to throw the country and its citizens on the fire, as long as they do the job they're paid to do, which is to protect the uber rich.

Since: Aug 09

Villa Rica

#42 Jul 24, 2011
Bill - the other one wrote:
<quoted text>
And the Republicans only real goal is to insure the wealthy don't pay a fraction of the taxes that they owed as recently as 1980. And they don't care who or what gets run over in the process to protect the uber-wealthy.
As we can see, they're willing to throw the country and its citizens on the fire, as long as they do the job they're paid to do, which is to protect the uber rich.
Trying to protect the money that people have worked hard to earn(in most cases), what a terrible thing to try and protect. Again, if Dems want "rich" people to pay more taxes, how about they set the example and pony up some of their millions? They aren't exactly walking around poor. Pelosi and Reid are two of the wealthiest people in the nation. There are plenty of solutions to this issue that don't involve tax hikes on anyone. But then, the only people that Dems could possibly raise taxes on are the "rich" because they're the only ones paying taxes. The top 1% of earners pays 40% of the tax bill, the top 10% pay 72% of the tax bill. 47% of people in this country don't pay any income tax. Let's get some money out of them before we start attacking the people who are already paying more than "their fair share." Let everybody get some "skin in the game" as that idiot Joe Biden likes to say. Barack Obama made over $4 million dollars last year, did he pay any additional taxes on top of his liability? I doubt it. He's the leader of this country, let him set the example.
Linda

Cumming, GA

#43 Jul 24, 2011
@TV - when you make statements like the only ones paying taxes are the rich --it is absolutely SO untrue. It undercuts any possible good points you might also make. The top 1% pay a lower tax rate than we middle class taxpayers. They have access to tax subsidies that we middle class do not have. AND - you do NOT necessarily have a job because of a rich person. American workers are working more productively than they have for many years. The big corporations are saying good for you, patting them on the back, allowing wage stagnation and taking the profits and paying themselves millions of $$ in upper level management bonuses. --By the way many of those dollars are a result of middle class tax dollars. All statistics say that the poor are getting poorer, the rich are getting richer and the middle class is stagnating or moving closer to the poor.
GetAClue

Lithia Springs, GA

#44 Jul 25, 2011
Linda wrote:
Hey other Bill - good to have you on board. The GOP refuses to cut tax breaks for private jets, refuses to cut tax breaks on corporations and corporate agriculture.
Elections Have Consequences!

Democrates can get in the car but they can't drive it. Democrates need to get in the backseat!

Hmmm, where did I hear that before - LOL!
GetAClue

Lithia Springs, GA

#45 Jul 25, 2011
Linda wrote:
Additionally - it has been interesting hearing the GOP vilify "government workers" --law enforcement, firefighters, teachers and demand that they take pay cuts, benefit cuts, lay offs --but have you seen the first suggestion from any of them that they cut their own pay or their own very cushy benefits? Instead we get people like Sean Durffy whining and sympathizing with LAID OFF workers because he personally is + GREAT BENEFITS. The Congress critters are so out of touch with reality it would be laughable if we didn't have to live with their crappy decisions.
Democrates have drove the car off the cliff. It is time for the adults to take over now.

Hmmm, where did i hear that one - LOL!
boreed monitor

Athens, GA

#47 Jul 25, 2011
Linda:

U really should stay out of these kind of topics. Ur a wannabe minor league player trying to play at the major league level. Way outta ur level.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Douglasville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chris Wynn the lawyer 19 hr anon 2
Villa Rica police (Apr '13) Tue lol 18
Local Politics Do you approve of Harvey Persons as Mayor? (Nov '14) Mon janice 6
Dr. Pritz and his 10.8% Aug 29 Elmer 9
Relecting Persons guarantees another employee e... Aug 29 lol 5
Bill Wininger on tv commercial Aug 29 time to pray 2
The Hoax / exposure Aug 28 The Exposure 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Douglasville Mortgages