DCBOE Board meeting notes

DCBOE Board meeting notes

Posted in the Douglasville Forum

Public knowledge

Lithia Springs, GA

#1 Apr 15, 2011
This is how they are doing things, spending money and alot of it! Books, sure I get that but some of this is just well I don't know read it and see what you think!

Student Achievement and Leadership: Dr. Catherine Magouyrk, Associate Superintendent of Student Achievement and Leadership, provided a review of the School Improvement Grant for Lithia Springs High School prior to submitting the grant to the state. Approval was granted to continue the Test Trax license for 2010-2011 in the amount of $27,710.09. Test Trax allows schools to view historical test scores for all students, subgroups and individuals. Approval was granted to purchase 112 iPad tools and protective covers in the amount of $74,819. The funding source will be from Title IIA Federal Funding. The iPads will be for school system administrators to use in conducting Class Key Formal and Informal Observations and Instructional Walk-Throughs. The license agreement and supportive training for PD360 was approved in the amount of $88,230 utilizing Title IIA Federal Funding. Approval was granted for the purchase of K-5 Reading, English, and Language Arts student textbooks for the reading series, Reading Street, for the following schools: Annette Winn, Arbor Station, Bill Arp, Bright Star, Burnett, Chapel Hill, Dorsett Shoals, Eastside, Mirror Lake, Mt. Carmel, New Manchester, South Douglas and Winston Elementary Schools. The total cost for 13 schools is $755,489.38. Approval was granted to purchase middle and high school English Language Arts textbooks in the amount of $771.265. The purchase of an AimsWeb universal screener was approved. AimsWeb allows teachers to monitor student achievement in order to measure progress with interventions in RTI tiers 1-4. The purpose of progress monitoring is to take frequent measures, usually weekly, of a student’s performance to determine whether he or she is making progress in response to the intervention. The cost will be $183,321.30 for the first year and $120,321.30 per year for years 2 - 5.

Operations: Approval was granted to increase the adult lunch price from $2.50 to $2.80 effective 2011-2012 school year. Adult meals are not subsidized by state or federal funding and by federal regulation must be priced to cover the cost of the meal. Student meals are subsidized with federal and state monies. The low bid for floor replacement for hallways at Beulah Elementary School was approved in the amount of $37,254.70 and will be paid from SPLOST funds. Approval was granted to purchase 20 school buses in the amount of $1,585,591.40. This purchase will upgrade the bus fleet and allow older buses to be retired. The agreement with Parlant Technology to implement the ParentLink Automated Calling System at an annual cost of $37,273.08 was approved.

Leon

United States

#2 Apr 16, 2011
Iz theyz guna payz me to stayz in clazz wid diz 2mil?
shocked

Lithia Springs, GA

#3 Apr 16, 2011
Public knowledge wrote:
This is how they are doing things, spending money and alot of it! Books, sure I get that but some of this is just well I don't know read it and see what you think!
Student Achievement and Leadership: Dr. Catherine Magouyrk, Associate Superintendent of Student Achievement and Leadership, provided a review of the School Improvement Grant for Lithia Springs High School prior to submitting the grant to the state. Approval was granted to continue the Test Trax license for 2010-2011 in the amount of $27,710.09. Test Trax allows schools to view historical test scores for all students, subgroups and individuals. Approval was granted to purchase 112 iPad tools and protective covers in the amount of $74,819. The funding source will be from Title IIA Federal Funding. The iPads will be for school system administrators to use in conducting Class Key Formal and Informal Observations and Instructional Walk-Throughs. The license agreement and supportive training for PD360 was approved in the amount of $88,230 utilizing Title IIA Federal Funding. Approval was granted for the purchase of K-5 Reading, English, and Language Arts student textbooks for the reading series, Reading Street, for the following schools: Annette Winn, Arbor Station, Bill Arp, Bright Star, Burnett, Chapel Hill, Dorsett Shoals, Eastside, Mirror Lake, Mt. Carmel, New Manchester, South Douglas and Winston Elementary Schools. The total cost for 13 schools is $755,489.38. Approval was granted to purchase middle and high school English Language Arts textbooks in the amount of $771.265. The purchase of an AimsWeb universal screener was approved. AimsWeb allows teachers to monitor student achievement in order to measure progress with interventions in RTI tiers 1-4. The purpose of progress monitoring is to take frequent measures, usually weekly, of a student’s performance to determine whether he or she is making progress in response to the intervention. The cost will be $183,321.30 for the first year and $120,321.30 per year for years 2 - 5.
Operations: Approval was granted to increase the adult lunch price from $2.50 to $2.80 effective 2011-2012 school year. Adult meals are not subsidized by state or federal funding and by federal regulation must be priced to cover the cost of the meal. Student meals are subsidized with federal and state monies. The low bid for floor replacement for hallways at Beulah Elementary School was approved in the amount of $37,254.70 and will be paid from SPLOST funds. Approval was granted to purchase 20 school buses in the amount of $1,585,591.40. This purchase will upgrade the bus fleet and allow older buses to be retired. The agreement with Parlant Technology to implement the ParentLink Automated Calling System at an annual cost of $37,273.08 was approved.
and you didn't even slam Mike Miller in your post?
Public knowledge

Lithia Springs, GA

#4 Apr 17, 2011
I have read alot about him but can one man really piss someone that off this bad? I just reposted the facts, don't know the man he's not in my district when I vote so if he's in yours don't vote for him.
I know

Douglasville, GA

#5 Apr 17, 2011
Mike Miller is (I read this on another thread) questioning the building of a new (Mt.Vernon) elementary school and saying that that money could go to reducing debt. Why is that a bad idea? Our county growth has stalled, so building new schools may need to stall, too. Why is reducing the debt a bad idea?
Parent

Tucker, GA

#6 Apr 18, 2011
I know~

I agree. But isn't it a day late and a dollar short to be debating this now. Sounds like peacocking to me, for the taxpayers, for show.

BTW~ That money would pay 2 first year teachers, and buy alot of books.

Speaking of teachers~ do they not realize if they are on facebook and have parents as friends they can see all their comments. Why are you posting pictures of children/students on your facebook page? Why are taking school time to post on your facebook page? Why are you commenting on your policital/religious/sexual views? Don't care to hear about your lingerie,or see their hand with a beer at bar or their sexual exploits. Are we sure these people are intelligent human beings? An intelligent human does not air stupidity for the world to see!!
thegameisafoot

Villa Rica, GA

#7 Apr 18, 2011
Parent wrote:
I know~
I agree. But isn't it a day late and a dollar short to be debating this now. Sounds like peacocking to me, for the taxpayers, for show.
Speaking of teachers~ do they not realize if they are on facebook and have parents as friends they can see all their comments. Why are you posting pictures of children/students on your facebook page? Why are taking school time to post on your facebook page? Why are you commenting on your policital/religious/sexual views? Don't care to hear about your lingerie,or see their hand with a beer at bar or their sexual exploits. Are we sure these people are intelligent human beings? An intelligent human does not air stupidity for the world to see!!
Don't forget that other teachers have to listen to that junk from their fellow teachers at school, too.
Well

Douglasville, GA

#8 Apr 18, 2011
Parent wrote:
I know~
Um I am a parent, have children, and work in a local school, and yes I have a Facebook. What does that have to do with anything? I also get a planning and if I feel like it I will pull my cell phone out and write somethhing and like a text it goes straight to facebook. Just kinda curious why the subject went from the money being spent and with text books I don't have an issue it's all the other money that I was wondering about as well.
ugh

United States

#9 Apr 18, 2011
Well wrote:
<quoted text>
Um I am a parent, have children, and work in a local school, and yes I have a Facebook. What does that have to do with anything? I also get a planning and if I feel like it I will pull my cell phone out and write somethhing and like a text it goes straight to facebook. Just kinda curious why the subject went from the money being spent and with text books I don't have an issue it's all the other money that I was wondering about as well.
You work at a school?
After trying to read that, I only hope it is not as a teacher.
Well

Douglasville, GA

#10 Apr 18, 2011
I am a parent, have children, and work in a local school, and yes I have a Facebook. What does that have to do with anything? I also get a planning and if I feel like it I will pull my cell phone out and write something and like a text it goes straight to facebook. Just kind of curious why the subject went from the money being spent and with text books I don't have an issue it's all the other money that I was wondering about as well.

Is this to your standards? Sorry for my grammer and misspelled words. Let me know if there are any other mistakes! Thanks
ugh

United States

#11 Apr 18, 2011
Well wrote:
I am a parent, have children, and work in a local school, and yes I have a Facebook. What does that have to do with anything? I also get a planning and if I feel like it I will pull my cell phone out and write something and like a text it goes straight to facebook. Just kind of curious why the subject went from the money being spent and with text books I don't have an issue it's all the other money that I was wondering about as well.
Is this to your standards? Sorry for my grammer and misspelled words. Let me know if there are any other mistakes! Thanks
Lordy, please tell me you are NOT a teacher.
Where Is Mike

Stone Mountain, GA

#12 Apr 18, 2011
I know wrote:
Mike Miller is (I read this on another thread) questioning the building of a new (Mt.Vernon) elementary school and saying that that money could go to reducing debt. Why is that a bad idea? Our county growth has stalled, so building new schools may need to stall, too. Why is reducing the debt a bad idea?
Reducing debt is a great idea. Mike always seems to be so misinformed by the bad people. One would think that with 2 1/2 years on the BOE, he would know what he voted on BEFORE he voted on it. He always seems to come up with some conspiracy to mislead him AFTER his vote. His motives seem self-serving and not about students, teachers, or anyone but himself.
blank slate

Lithia Springs, GA

#13 Apr 18, 2011
Where Is Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Reducing debt is a great idea. Mike always seems to be so misinformed by the bad people. One would think that with 2 1/2 years on the BOE, he would know what he voted on BEFORE he voted on it. He always seems to come up with some conspiracy to mislead him AFTER his vote. His motives seem self-serving and not about students, teachers, or anyone but himself.
Tell me one politician in this county who is not self-serving.

Since: Jun 07

D'ville, GA

#14 Apr 19, 2011
Where Is Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
A quote from the article I read:“Apparently our staff advisors never consulted with our attorney to see if there were any alternatives to what they told us,” Miller said.“We could actually return the money, develop a resolution and use the money to reduce debt.”

Whos in charge of the staff advisors to ensure they explore all options before spending the big dollars required to build a new school? Anyone vote for these advisors that apparently cause large quantities of our tax money to be spent? The school is under construction so that means large quantities of non-refundable money has been spent on architects, bid processes, land acquisition, materials, etc. The time to question the need for the school is before the money spent and the BOE is entrusted to do all appropriate inquiry so they don't waste tax dollars. We've been in this recession since 2007 and just now they question the need for a new school?

Since: Oct 08

Atlanta, GA

#15 Apr 19, 2011
Parent wrote:
I know~
Teachers are people too. They have lives outside the school. If you don't like their posts, why are you friends with them?
Parent

Tucker, GA

#16 Apr 22, 2011
Why you ask am I friends with them on facebook, that is stupid question!! Why would you think? To see what type of people we have teaching our children. What their morals are etc...I signed to let my child get acccess the internet at school, to allow their picture to be used on the school website etc... I never signed anything to allow the teachers etc...to post my child's picture on their facebook page. The sheer fact that a teacher would be stupid to post some of this crap when they know they have parents as "friends", personally makes me question their common sense and overall intelligience, as well as their morality. What a bunch of ding a lings. I don't care if they have a degree or not, they are stupid to do such especially in this economy.
Please Dont Stalk Me

Douglasville, GA

#17 Apr 22, 2011
Parent wrote:
Why you ask am I friends with them on facebook, that is stupid question!! Why would you think? To see what type of people we have teaching our children. What their morals are etc...I signed to let my child get acccess the internet at school, to allow their picture to be used on the school website etc... I never signed anything to allow the teachers etc...to post my child's picture on their facebook page. The sheer fact that a teacher would be stupid to post some of this crap when they know they have parents as "friends", personally makes me question their common sense and overall intelligience, as well as their morality. What a bunch of ding a lings. I don't care if they have a degree or not, they are stupid to do such especially in this economy.
You sound like a stalker. You friended teachers not because you are friends but because you want to watch them? I bet you look into your neighbors windows to make sure you approve as well. You're no more than a cyber Peeping Tom.
Yep. Stalker. Please don't stalk me!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Douglasville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Animal clicking noise? (Jan '13) 2 hr Girl with Dragon ... 35
New Superintendent for DCSS 2 hr Girl with Dragon ... 44
carl sweet (Jun '12) Sep 16 Robbed 4
Hot water heater question ... Sep 16 Justme 5
Jesse Sosobee Sep 15 Earline 1
Honest opinions Sep 15 taxpayer 112 4
WASP and PROUD! (Jan '08) Sep 14 Bradley 69

Douglasville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance