Legislation is flying at Statehouse

Jul 18, 2010 Full story: Telegram & Gazette

Bills were flying out of the House and Senate like the Statehouse was on fire last week.

Full Story
mark Cool

Woburn, MA

#1 Jul 21, 2010
Are the People being Herd?
The Wind Energy Siting Reform Act (H4687) passed last week. Now, House and Senate meet to come to terms with wording. Our Senator Therese Murray (Senate President) is ram-rodding the mediations and, additionally, happens to be up for re-election.
I ask the good Senator, will you listen to your constituents concerns or be controlled by Wind Industry power and propaganda?
The renderings from our governments (Federal, State & Local) down through the various advocacy groups tout the need to be conscientious about “going green”, about re-cycling, about “green-house” gases, about “green energy” resources. All deserve selective merit.
The Falmouth WWTF Turbine Project was overwhelmingly approved by town meeting in 2005. The lion share of locals gave it their rubber stamp. I was all for it! It was going to mitigate potential town budget shortfalls and help the “green” cause.
Mr. Brent Harold’s July 13th Cape Cod Times piece offers insight that is rather unorthodox but very appropriate given the present climate on Beacon Hill.“What's good about NIMBY is that it is only humane and logical to respect the experience of those living in the relevant backyard.” By virtue of proximity and shortsighted setback regulation, I am that NIMBY. I offer this experience.
My solace from air traffic control stress is my 2 acres of gardens. Since WWTF turbine #1 has been operational I suffer pressure headaches when the wind direction is from the north-northeast. The best description of my headache is the pressure experienced just before your ears pop while an aircraft climbs or descends through pressure altitude. The “pop”, in the case of being a passenger, offers relief. In my case, relief is gained not by a “pop” of my ears, rather, by being chased from my gardens to the my basement, away from the pressure impact. It’s awfully difficult to garden from my basement!
Wind advocacy groups like CIWIN (Cape & Islands Wind Information Network), CIRenew (Cape & Islands Renewable Energy Collaborative), our good Senator Murray and their respective agendas to dispel opposition to industrial wind turbines, place great emphasis on categorizing me as a NIMBY. They and theirs would have you believe my headache is only with the annoyance of the turbine being built in my backyard.
CIRenew’s Dr. McMurtry, who provided argument last Thursday night at Upper Cape Regional Tech, that no ill health effect from wind turbines exist, identifies me and those like me, as crazy. It is not prudent to categorize an FAA air traffic controller for the past 30 years as “crazy”! Further, it is not logical or respectful to minimize my experience when there exist collaborative science based research validating my health concern experience.
Bottom-line, the fancy of wind energy propaganda flatters the uninformed, exploits the well intentioned, and profits the political and private sector scoundrel. All this made possible because there's no penalty for lying in the energy marketplace. Have WE, as a society, arrived at a point where our legal and political culture administers no negative consequence for making false or misleading claims to sell wind energy?
Senator Murray’s wind agenda appears more crucial than answers to hard questions asked of her by constituents. Falmouth Town Hall seems willing to participate in this endeavor. Yet, she is intent on stealing the very essence of local government rule away from those town entities charged with that responsibility. Instead, she would prefer control for siting to be left on Beacon Hill.
mark Cool

Woburn, MA

#2 Jul 21, 2010
The infancy of this new resource comes with many associated problems. Falmouth’s turbine siting problem is best left to Falmouth Madame Senator. The audacity, to think of us not up to the task! Our good Senator marches “out of step” with the Democratic ways of Town meeting and Town determination! Falmouth seems genuinely sincere in finding the equilibrium between citizens well being and getting the biggest bang for the wind energy buck. This coupling of Town Hall and Resident must both act as our guide and continue to define how turbine siting and permitting proceeds across the State. And finally, the good people of the Commonwealth who value intellectual honesty should not quietly be fleeced by such mendacity, especially from their government!
Mark Cool
Firetower Road
Falmouth MA

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Douglas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Uxbridge Music Forum (Feb '13) Nov 1 Musikologist 10
Northbridge leads in voter turnout competition ... Oct 31 Sonny 1
Northbridge voters defeat meals tax hike, OK ou... Oct 31 Sonny 1
Northbridge seals the deal to acquire Pine Grov... Oct 31 Sonny 1
webster (Apr '13) Oct 26 annoyed neighbors 17
17 arrests target 'Outlaws' (Nov '07) Oct 23 smd 46
Police: Mass. school bus driver high while driving (Dec '09) Oct '14 JOCK 12

Douglas News Video

Douglas Dating
Find my Match