Gray, GA

#1 Dec 28, 2012
Do you think it is ethical to sell a baby item that has been recalled? If so, do you think it is ethical to sell a used baby seat that has been in an accident? I started thinking about this when looking on facebook and seeing the recent recall notice of the Nap Nanny.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Perry, GA

#2 Dec 28, 2012
NO on both accounts. Selling items that have been in accidents causes stress points in the item that can give way in the moment in need.

I too saw the Nap Nanny recall. Most of it appears to be like much of the child safety recalls, parents are stupid. The Bumbo recall was because people kept putting their kids in them on elevated surfaces and leaving them. They then fall over and crash. The Nap Nanny recall seems to be something similar. It only takes one child's death to force an instant recall. Some recalls are needed, like with the drop sided cribs and the old fashioned slats being too far apart. This is a good think. The Nap Nanny seems like a good product if used as directed. A manufacture can put all the warnings on products they like, but if people do no use common sense, then you can't help stupid. Just like how people put their kids in car seats that are either not fastened into the car or the kid into it.

Gray, GA

#3 Dec 28, 2012
How old are the babies supposed to be before they are in the nap nanny? I'm seeing pictures of 3 and 4 week old babies??? And they are all slumped over. Plus it's always on a table or counter.

The company has shut down. I typed in and the owner gave her account.

I think there is supposed to be a video with the nap nanny. I'm afraid these things are going to land in the hands of young moms who don't know any better than to use it as a nanny.

Gray, GA

#4 Dec 28, 2012
Stores Recall 'Nap Nanny' After Feds Say It's A No-No

By editor
Enlarge image
Credit CPSC
Nap Nanny Generation Two

Originally published on Thu December 27, 2012 2:43 pm

The Consumer Products Safety Commission is fed up with the Nap Nanny.

Three models of the infant recliners Nap Nanny Generations One and Two, and the Chill are being recalled voluntarily by some of the nation's biggest retailers, including and Buy Buy Baby. Consumers can get refunds or credit toward another purchase.

The consumer agency says the recliners "contain defects in the design, warnings and instructions, which pose a substantial risk of injury and death to infants."

Usually, a manufacturer makes the recall move. In this case, the CPSC says Baby Matters LLC, maker of the products, "is unable or unwilling to participate in the recall."

Back in 2010, the CPSC and Baby Matters jointly announced a recall that offered a coupon to people who owned the Generation One recliner for a discount toward the purchase of a newer model. The CPSC said then that it knew of one death and 22 reports of problems with kids hanging out of or falling out of the seats.

Despite warnings and clearer instructions, the CPSC said more deaths were reported. There were 70 reports of kids falling out of the seats.

In early December, the staff at the CPSC pursued an administrative judgment against Baby Matters, claiming its products are defective and should be pulled from the market to prevent injuries and deaths.

"We believe it is a hazardous product and we are concerned about the safety of the children that are in there," Consumer Product Safety Commission spokesman Alex Flip told ABC News at the time.

Leslie Gudel, founder and owner of the company, contested the commission's claims:

Recently the CPSC filed an administrative complaint against our company seeking legal authority to stop the sale of all Nap Nanny recliners on the theory that the Nap Nanny is a hazardous product. We do not believe the complaint has merit and stand behind the safety of our product when used as instructed.

The company's dispute with the CPSC drove the company out of business, Gudel wrote.

We contacted Gudel for a response on the latest issue but haven't received one.

Update 5:25 p.m.: Nap Nanny's Gudel emailed a response to Shots:

Baby Matters is disappointed to hear that four retailers have chosen to voluntarily recall the Nap Nanny. As I've said before, the loss of an infant is an unthinkable tragedy, and I am truly heartbroken for the families who have lost a child. But when the Nap Nanny has been used properly, no infant has ever suffered an injury requiring medical attention. The Nap Nanny still benefits thousands of children and families and we continue to stand behind the product 100%.

The CPSC's decision to join with retailers to recall the product is simply an end-run around its attempt to force a recall on Baby Matters in court --an effort we are vigorously resisting. We look forward to presenting our case before a judge who will hear all of the facts. Until then, we thank our loyal customers for their continued support.

Copyright 2012 National Public Radio. To see more, visit .
Keep Calm and Carry On

Perry, GA

#5 Dec 28, 2012
They are for infants that aren't rolling yet to help with acid reflux and sleeping. They are meant to be used on the floor only, but people put them in cribs, which is where a few of the deaths have occurred, and on bed for the rest. The baby is snuggled into a harness just like on other bouncy seats. The problems have arisen from the child supposedly rolling over the edges and hanging from the harness or just falling out because they haven't fastened the child in. I think parents use it as a crib instead of a napping device. People are stupid and you can't cure stupid.

Gray, GA

#6 Dec 28, 2012
They aren't even selling used ones on ebay. I don't think it is right to sell these. I would hate to sell one and be responsible for a baby dieing.
just saying

United States

#7 Dec 28, 2012
Car seats in crashes should be disposed of. As far as a nap nanny, no babies have been injured or died whose parents used it correctly. I would buy or sell one.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Perry, GA

#8 Dec 29, 2012
I couldn't sell or give away an item that has been in a recall without the item being corrected. Otherwise, it isn't safe for even the landfill.

You are right that no child has died or been injured from a Nap Nanny that has been used as directed. Parents often place them on tables or beds and end up with injured babies. They also do not buckle them in well or at all. This is true of any toy or device. Like parents that purchase a toy that is not meant for a small child. There is a reason why those ages are on the side of the box and it isn't to keep you from buying a mature toy for a kid but the small parts.

I think toy manufactures shouldn't make a toy or baby/toddler/child item that can't be chewed on safely. Kids are like puppies, they chew on everything.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Douglas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jackie Brinson 31 min whatwhat 2
drug court grads or failures (Jun '17) 55 min Pissed and concerned 7
What ever happened to Christina Shepard 1 hr Pissed and concerned 1
Dead Beat Dads! (Mar '11) 1 hr Pissed and concerned 91
Broxton Police Dept. 14 hr Eyes wide open 1
coffee county so! where is e. paulk? Thu KARMA 13
High School & JV Baseball Mar 15 Bill Bully 35

Douglas Jobs

Personal Finance

Douglas Mortgages