Byron, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

Judged:

So, who is in to start a charter school? When are we starting one? Can we get paid to home-school now? Finally, a choice for our children using the money that WE pay in. Teachers and kids is all we need. None of the fancy dean or coach positions. No assistants to the assistants to the assistants.
just saying

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

That charter school amendment will be a disaster.
Truth

Adel, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

No to pay for home schooling. Home schooling is not a charter school that has an internal board for oversight and is approved by the state board of education.

I agree that this too will be a disaster. It is in litigation for the persuasive wording on the ballot. This initiative has already been over turned once by the state supreme court, so I don't look for it to get far.

If you want a private school, pay for it yourself.
realllllllly

Doerun, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

Judged:

It is NOT a private school get your facts right. Its PUBLIC charter school. Kids are still in the public system! They are just not forced to go to a public school they study at home under the school system.I used to pay for private school not the same!! Oh poor things dont get the money for kids that dont go to school oh panic their stupid sports wont get more money its all they think about NOT the kids!
Truth

Adel, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

It isn't about sports for me; it is about oversight for accreditation standards of quality education. Many charter schools decided that they do not have to have certified teachers on staff, so they hire anyone. They can also be run by anyone, set up by anyone, and governed by anyone. This opens the door for any Tom, Dick, and Harry criminal to start a school for their own purposes. They set the curriculum and can include not just pray but much that is socially unacceptable. Charles Manson could have a charter school and take tax payer dollars for it to brain wash people his way. This is the dangers of the Charter School system. Just like splitting churches, parents just band together and start their own school. Soon those same parents get mad with each other, split, and bam you have a new school.
Hermes

Ocilla, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

Judged:

It's not like your kids are going to learn anything anyway. They are just as lazy and willfully ignorant as their parents. The few that do manage to get out of the redneck mindset never come back
middlefingers

Douglas, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

Hermes wrote:
It's not like your kids are going to learn anything anyway. They are just as lazy and willfully ignorant as their parents. The few that do manage to get out of the redneck mindset never come back
dude i would so buy you a beer.
Devils Advocate

Douglas, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

Judged:

Hermes wrote:
What we intend to do is get our children away from people like your sorry azz and your kind. Like it was in the 60s and let our children be taught by intellgent teachers, that have more than Friday night's football game on their mind. Remember, the idea was for your kind to be raised up to better standards, in fact it happened just the opposite, we were brought down to yours. Redneck and proud of it.
conservative taxpayer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

Judged:

Truth wrote:
It isn't about sports for me; it is about oversight for accreditation standards of quality education. Many charter schools decided that they do not have to have certified teachers on staff, so they hire anyone. They can also be run by anyone, set up by anyone, and governed by anyone. This opens the door for any Tom, Dick, and Harry criminal to start a school for their own purposes. They set the curriculum and can include not just pray but much that is socially unacceptable. Charles Manson could have a charter school and take tax payer dollars for it to brain wash people his way. This is the dangers of the Charter School system. Just like splitting churches, parents just band together and start their own school. Soon those same parents get mad with each other, split, and bam you have a new school.
You may need to look at the charter schools that already operate. You may be surprised to see higher teaching standards. You may also be suprised to see that Master Mark (sacs) accredits those schools also.
Look at Chicago and the recent teacher strikes and you will find out the charter schools there did not miss a beat.
All education does not have to come from educators employed by a government to be the best. You will always have a job as a govermental educator because some parents just do not give a rats behind as to what goes on.
Let us face it nova does not require you to employed by a traditional public school system to acquire a degree just a master card.
ole fool

Douglas, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

Judged:

middlefingers wrote:
<quoted text>dude i would so buy you a beer.
He probably don't drink beer, just whine and cheez its. High brow and all ya know.
ole fool

Douglas, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

Judged:

When you get the kids, that want to learn, out of the Public Schools, they will succeed. Public Schools today are gang recruiting grounds, drug stores, and hook up class. All destractions from learning and teachers aren't baby sitters. Wish some of these kids would use Trojans instead of trying to be one.
rice

Kathleen, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

middlefingers wrote:
<quoted text>dude i would so buy you a beer.
Good one Pat F
Hermes

Ocilla, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

Devils Advocate wrote:
<quoted text>
What we intend to do is get our children away from people like your sorry azz and your kind. Like it was in the 60s and let our children be taught by intellgent teachers, that have more than Friday night's football game on their mind. Remember, the idea was for your kind to be raised up to better standards, in fact it happened just the opposite, we were brought down to yours. Redneck and proud of it.
I don't know what an intellgent teacher is supposed to be but if you meant intelligent, you are off the mark. There are plenty of intelligent teachers out there, but they have been hamstrung by testing mandates set forth by the government. Then they have to deal with children with parents that don't give a crap about taking PART in their child's upbringing. Your generation left it all up to the teacher to PARENT your children. Those children grew up squeaking by on the bare minimum to get by. You are lost when it comes to technology and dismiss the skills needed to survive in this world. YOU got left behind..not the child.
Oh Dear Me

Adel, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

conservative taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
You may need to look at the charter schools that already operate. You may be surprised to see higher teaching standards. You may also be suprised to see that Master Mark (sacs) accredits those schools also.
Look at Chicago and the recent teacher strikes and you will find out the charter schools there did not miss a beat.
All education does not have to come from educators employed by a government to be the best. You will always have a job as a govermental educator because some parents just do not give a rats behind as to what goes on.
Let us face it nova does not require you to employed by a traditional public school system to acquire a degree just a master card.
Chicago is a unionized system, which GA does not allow. Florida is full of Charter schools that are not SACS accredited. Charter schools do NOT have to be SACS accredited. You can take a kid from a family that doesn't give a crap about education and in turn doesn't care him/herself and put them in a charter school and still get a crappy kid. The public system doesn't make the kid crap, but the kids already come in as crap with parents that expect their kid not to have to follow the rules and make grades to be promoted or participate in school events. If you want a government to be less in control, then either start your own anarchy on your own private island or find someone else that already has an island.
paying my taxes

Byron, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

Judged:

I pay my taxes so everyone can go to school, why shouldn't I have a choice where my kids go? If you don't want to lose kids to the charter schools, provide an EQUITABLE education.
conservative taxpayer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

Yep oh dear you are correct no school charter or traditional public has to be accredited. They just porkbarrelled the educational grants for college to it, or at least here in GA.
I am willing to bet that sacs does not receive the complaints against the charter schools or for that matter any traditional public school in a unionized state. Here in Ga if you elect by vote a person to voice parental concerns over budgets or what ever here comes the whip from educator complaints given to sacs.
Seems by voter response here in Ga supporters bought the island called Ga.
Responding to paying

Moultrie, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

Do you know what equitable means when it pertains to education? It means all come and get WHATEVER it takes to be successful. It does not matter if they have parents that care, are involved in undesirable activities that they bring to school, or even own a pencil. All get a chance that is deemed equal by the politically correct in an equitable school. All the money, time, etc. goes to making things "equitable" for those that can't or won't...
Oh Dear Me

Adel, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

Judged:

Charter schools can also discriminate, like private schools do. They do not have to accept anyone their board does not approve of. This leaves those left out to go to public school, so yeah, if you can cull your student population, you have high achievement. All budgets decisions should include common people and stake holders, but even in charter schools, they can determine how people get on the board, how long they can stay on the board, and like minded people vote together, as we have now with our school board. It will not be any different. Until parents give a crap, kids won't give a crap, and school/education will continue to be undervalued in rural areas where jobs are lacking and what jobs they have are minimum wage. Take all those billions that went into that horrible election, and create quality jobs with it instead of buying a congressman.
Dooly

Perry, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

Judged:

Charter School can not discriminate, you are confusing them with Magnate Schools. Charter Schools are required to take all that apply if they have room. More apply than seats are available, they choose by lottery.
Oh Dear Me

Adel, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

Charter schools set their enrollment criteria, thus ruling out some students with discipline histories, special education needs, academic marks, etc....This is a form of discrimination, not selection. There are ways around being forced to accept everyone, private schools do it as well as charter schools.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of38
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

20 Users are viewing the Douglas Forum right now

Search the Douglas Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 1 hr Synergy 47,670
Manhunt underway for Douglas cop shooter 2 hr law officer 2
Where in the World is Matt (Baldridge)? 2 hr groupie 5
Sheriff: 10-year-old shot by deputy during capt... 3 hr fimonster 10
Premium Waters 3 hr nowadays 22
which cop shot the kid? 4 hr kim 1
Do You Think Merrijuana Should Be Legal In Coff... (Mar '13) 4 hr just to say 7
What are the police doing? 10 hr Duhhhhhh 36
Cop Shot In Walmart Parking Lot 10 hr Gun Runner 18
•••
•••
•••
•••