replacing the current school board an...
Parent

Kathleen, GA

#187 May 5, 2012
School teacher wrote:
Our school system is the best it's ever been in.
At What??????????
Teacher 2

Douglas, GA

#188 May 5, 2012
Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
At What??????????
Test scores are the highest ever, and the graduation rate is the highest ever, lots of good things are happening in our schools. Some people would complain with there mouths
Full.
Parent

Kathleen, GA

#189 May 5, 2012
Teacher 2 wrote:
<quoted text> Test scores are the highest ever, and the graduation rate is the highest ever, lots of good things are happening in our schools. Some people would complain with there mouths
Full.
Did you not go to last board meeting or see it on TV??????????
There is plenty wrong with the school system.
And talking about test scores don't you think that the students had something to do with that being they were the ones taking the test.
Springer

Gray, GA

#190 May 5, 2012
Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you not go to last board meeting or see it on TV??????????
There is plenty wrong with the school system.
And talking about test scores don't you think that the students had something to do with that being they were the ones taking the test.
I see the same thing on the Jerry Springer show.... Loud mouths and rudeness don't make you right.
Parent

Ford City, PA

#191 May 6, 2012
Springer wrote:
<quoted text>
I see the same thing on the Jerry Springer show.... Loud mouths and rudeness don't make you right.
What I seen was concern Parents talking the wall. The BOE does not have a clue that they have woke up a GIANT. Have the Parent got any answers to any of the questions that were brought up NO!!!!!!!!!!
Our BOE and Super all need to be replaced.
Educated

United States

#192 May 6, 2012
Fuzzy Math I sure hope you can add, because you sure can't write correctly. Also, what does a football coach have to do with this? Unbelievable!
really

Ashburn, GA

#193 May 6, 2012
Educated wrote:
Fuzzy Math I sure hope you can add, because you sure can't write correctly. Also, what does a football coach have to do with this? Unbelievable!
U mad bro.??
Educated

United States

#194 May 6, 2012
really wrote:
<quoted text>
U mad bro.??
No, just amazed at the reasoning and poor sentence structure exhibited on this board.
really

Ashburn, GA

#195 May 6, 2012
Educated wrote:
<quoted text>
No, just amazed at the reasoning and poor sentence structure exhibited on this board.
takes alot to amaze you i guess,

i'm sure it's almost as amazing as wasting $20,000.00 for nothing?? now thats amazing to me,

going through all this BS just to scrap out every penny to hire a 6 figure football coach..= amazing

spending 1.5 MILLION dollars on a high school weight room for football players = amazing

this kinda stuff is what's actually amazing
Educated

United States

#196 May 6, 2012
Yep! Amazing.
Reality Bites

Gray, GA

#197 May 6, 2012
really wrote:
<quoted text>
takes alot to amaze you i guess,
i'm sure it's almost as amazing as wasting $20,000.00 for nothing?? now thats amazing to me,
going through all this BS just to scrap out every penny to hire a 6 figure football coach..= amazing
spending 1.5 MILLION dollars on a high school weight room for football players = amazing
this kinda stuff is what's actually amazing
There is no connection with the bus routes and a football coach. The consultant in question was paid considerably less than the 20,000 estimate, and no taxpayer dollars are being spent on the weight room. How about doing a little research before you spout off.

And you know what? The money spent on the consultant has already saved the system that much several times over.
Doolollie

Nashville, GA

#198 May 6, 2012
Exctly what funds were used to pay for the weight room? PLEASE enlighten us. Unless one of the booster clubs coughed up 1.5 Million, tax dollars paid for it.
Reality Bites wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no connection with the bus routes and a football coach. The consultant in question was paid considerably less than the 20,000 estimate, and no taxpayer dollars are being spent on the weight room. How about doing a little research before you spout off.
And you know what? The money spent on the consultant has already saved the system that much several times over.
Reality Bites

Gray, GA

#199 May 6, 2012
They are raising money right now, and the cost is nowhere near a million. Again, you might want to get some facts before believing every thing you hear.
oh boy

United States

#200 May 6, 2012
Tax payers did pay for 1.5 million dollar weight room. Money don't grow on trees dumb ass.

The consultant took 20,000.00 of our money and laughed at you idiots.
Reality Bites

Gray, GA

#201 May 6, 2012
oh boy wrote:
Tax payers did pay for 1.5 million dollar weight room. Money don't grow on trees dumb ass..
Did not. Dumbass.
splost

Douglas, GA

#202 May 6, 2012
The SPLOST or 1% sales tax did DA ...it is a tax but if cannot be used for payroll in the Coffee county. GO BITCH AND MOAN SOMEWHERE ELSE.
Doolollie wrote:
Exctly what funds were used to pay for the weight room? PLEASE enlighten us. Unless one of the booster clubs coughed up 1.5 Million, tax dollars paid for it. <quoted text>
Doolollie

Nashville, GA

#203 May 7, 2012
SPLOST is a tax everyone pays DA. Therefore OUR tax dollars will pay for it. No matter what the cost, this is an unnecessary expense. The dollars could be used to benefit ALL students. More entitlements for athletics. Freaking wonderful.
splost wrote:
The SPLOST or 1% sales tax did DA ...it is a tax but if cannot be used for payroll in the Coffee county. GO BITCH AND MOAN SOMEWHERE ELSE.
<quoted text>
Reality Bites

Gray, GA

#204 May 7, 2012
What part of SPLOST didn't pay for the weight room did you not understand?
Wow

United States

#205 May 9, 2012
wager wrote:
<quoted text>
I am willing to bet you have no idea what that even means, but I am sure you are against it.
On the contrary, I do... Learned all about charter systems in college... I know that it provides less accountability for money as in where and how it is spent, and even who is hired to teach our kids! Charter systems allow the system to hire teachers who are have not been properly trained, they will be permitted to work under a waiver. Being that the aystem will only answer to itself, who will ensure things are done by the book?? No one. No accountability! Additionally, one thing that are saying that would be a good incentive to do the charter is we will recieve more money per child ($100), that's not entirely true... There is only a possibility as each child must meet a certain criteria to qualify for the extra cash... Unfortunately most students in our county will not qualify... And it is for these reasons that I am against it...
Rural

Douglas, GA

#206 May 9, 2012
Wow wrote:
<quoted text>
On the contrary, I do... Learned all about charter systems in college... I know that it provides less accountability for money as in where and how it is spent, and even who is hired to teach our kids! Charter systems allow the system to hire teachers who are have not been properly trained, they will be permitted to work under a waiver. Being that the aystem will only answer to itself, who will ensure things are done by the book?? No one. No accountability! Additionally, one thing that are saying that would be a good incentive to do the charter is we will recieve more money per child ($100), that's not entirely true... There is only a possibility as each child must meet a certain criteria to qualify for the extra cash... Unfortunately most students in our county will not qualify... And it is for these reasons that I am against it...
Actually the state of Georgia realizes their status quo model has failed low wealth districts. You've stated several points that are not accurate. Yes, a system could hire non-certificated teachers, but the truth is there are likely professional or career individuals and business owners that would be a wonderful resource in our classrooms but due to onerous government regulation they are not permitted to pass along, in a classroom , their experience or talent.

A charter system would allow our entire community to be more involved in the education of its children. After all, who knows better for our community? Atlanta? Washington? There is an application process that the local board will go thru for charter system status. There is actually more accountability for the admin & classrooms required for charter status.

No disrespect to your college study, but let's realize that colleges are trying to protect their financial interest in pumping out graduates seeking certification, whether those grads are quality educators or not. They'll speak against anything that threatens tuition and fees.. True educators are ones willing to learn new methods as their students change year to year or month to month.

Your concerns about charter systems are ones many of us parents have, but I'm willing to learn all of the advantages or disadvantages for Coffee and my children and participate in improving the school system and not wait for the government to tell me what's best.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Douglas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Houses/Mobile homes for rent? (Jan '11) 54 min Lovenit 10
Rhonda Davis Smith 2 hr Simpleminded 12
Premium waters 9 hr muddy water 4
Kim Griffen 15 hr Neighbor 1
Post Net 19 hr I Will Be Back 4
Bleached Blonde Bimbo 20 hr Karmascalling 6
Denise Boyd (Aug '13) Thu Wink_wink 9

Douglas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance